Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this legal?

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Just found this, I didn't think it was legal to have them here?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-Very-Friendly-Greater-Bush-Baby-Male-For-Adoption-W0QQAdIdZ34236090

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Didn't think so, no. But in this case ... either it is and we don't know, or it isn't and they don't know and are stupid to put the ad out!

Chris21711
January 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Sent the link to my daughter at the OSPCA, she is going to check it out.

mona_b
January 9th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Since they are an exotic animal rescue no.BUT I'm thinking it is illegal if they are just trying to sell to any Joe Blow.:shrug:

Chris21711
January 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
My daughter checked it out, they are considered an Exotic and it depends on by-laws in the town. I looked up a bit on them, said that they do not make good pets, are nocturnal, smell a lot, apparently they pee on their hands and spread their scent around wherever their hands are placed. You can buy Sugar Gliders and they're closely related. Exotic animals in this Province have little or no protection, even less than 'Pets', which is next to nothing.

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I actually had to look this thing up. i've never even seen one before. That's got to be illegal.
It's free so someone probably pawned it off on them and they don't know what to do with it.

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM
My daughter checked it out, they are considered an Exotic and it depends on by-laws in the town. I looked up a bit on them, said that they do not make good pets, are nocturnal, smell a lot, apparently they pee on their hands and spread their scent around wherever their hands are placed. You can buy Sugar Gliders and they're closely related. Exotic animals in this Province have little or no protection, even less than 'Pets', which is next to nothing.

Awww poor little thing:sad:

I remember not to long ago seeing ads in the Toronto sun newspaper for tiger, lion, bear cubs(and many many others) for sale, thankfully I don't see that anymore.

Chris21711
January 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The OSPCA has been trying for years to get some kind of legislation passed to protect exotics, there are so many at so-called roadside zoos and 'rescues' but as usual the government drag their fat butts and do nothing.