Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flying Westjet Within Canada: Done That?

valentineconnel
January 8th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum! I have two bassett hounds: Martha and Walter. They are rescue dogs that are about 3 years old now. They are well adjusted, and are in excellent health.

We travelled with them last summer, in our Jeep, about 1 week of driving time. They did well, although they were unusually pathetic at first.

I am flying from British Columbia to New Brunswick this summer, and am planning to bring them with us. Westjet allows up to 3 crates onboard in the pressurized, temp controlled cabin, and we won't be sedating them, so those aren't issues for us.

The main issue is the fly-time (16hrs), along with the stop-overs. It is impossible to get a direct flight, and of course, Air Canada does not accept pets at all anymore, as far as I know.

I have spoken to a westjet rep on the phone, who reassured me that the crew are very kind to animals, and they are very good about keeping tabs on them as well as providing updates.

I am wondering if anyone has flown Westjet with pets in the cargo cabin on a similar flight. How did it go? How was the staff? Were you able to check on or have someone check on your pets during stop-overs? What about letting them out for a "hurry" half way?

Thank you for the imput!
V.
:ca:

Chris21711
January 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I believe Air Canada does still fly animals. Our local SPCA just flew a Pittie out to Calgary on December 18th. Also from what I understand they have lowered their prices to compete with WestJet.

mona_b
January 9th, 2008, 10:03 AM
A co-worker used Westjet in the summer to go to Newfoundland.He took his eskie mix rescue with him(dogs first time on a plane)..He flew out of Hamilton with a stop over.I was the one who got all the info about the dog for him.

They were great with Leo.And on the stop over(I think it was about 2-3 hours),Leo was able to get out of the plane for some fun time with my co-worker.He actually had Leo in the airport with him before they boarded.

When you have your stop over,just ask them to bring the dogs out for you so they can stretch out and play around before you re board.You should not have a problem with it.:)

JanM
January 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM
We flew our cat from Winnipeg to Victoria, BC on Westjet and all went very well! He wasn't sedated and, when he was picked up in Victoria (we sent him out before we left Winnipeg) he was in good health with no problems at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Westjet again to transport an animal.

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As of last September Air Canada flew animals, of course Dazy was 4lbs over the weight limit so we didn't bring her, go to their website, they have all kinds of info on flying with your pet, including time lines, costs (it's expensive), requirments, their policy and black out dates..etc...

I personally wouldn't select a 16 hour flight if my pet is coming with me, to me - that's too stressful for the dog and myself. They don't sedate or feed your critter, of course the exception I would make is if it was a one way flight and I was moving there...but I wouldn't do it for vacation...

Just my opinion for me and my dog.

mona_b
January 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
My co-worker only paid an extra $50 for Leo.And he's only 26lbs...:)