Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Still confused about amount to feed puppy

SolaMio
January 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I'm feeding my puppy Sola Canidae (All Life Stages). She's about 4 months and 35lbs or so. My vet says about 3 cups per day (in 3 meals) is appropriate for her, but I'm wondering if it's enough- I know puppies need to eat quite a lot. The directions on the bad are confusing to me and my pea-brain! I'm wondering if in fact she is being underfed, could this be affecting her temperment (she gets pretty "moody"). She loves Canidae but eats her meals like she's going to swallow the whole bowl, although she's not aggressive with my DH or I, or even the cats, while she's eating.

Any ideas??? Thanks :thumbs up

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
What does the bag say exactly?

Some dogs always act as though they haven't seen food in days, even weeks, when given their bowl. I know, I have two of them :wall: I can feed them, and an hour later (even less) they are there drooling and "cookie"eyed because a human is eating his/her meal! I keep telling them that I do not drool over their bowl, so they can leave my plate alone, but apparently that argument doesn't go over well.

What you could do, is try to give Sola 4 cups in 3 meals, or even 4 meals, she's not that old yet. See if that makes her less ravenous. If not, then she's just another "walking stomach" :laughing:

aslan
January 8th, 2008, 06:13 PM
LOL, Sarah yours give you an hour before you get the look. My quincy can inhale his food and still be chewing when he comes to beg off us. How much does the bag say you should feed the baby. And i'm with Sarah try increasing it a little bit and see if it helps.

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I was exaggerating! They look over their shoulders as they eat their kibble! :frustrated:

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
The feeding instructions on the bag say a 25lb. puppy should get 2 cups per day and a 50lb. puppy should get 4 cups per day so 3 cups per day would be about right for a 35 lb. puppy.

Daily Feeding Guidelines

Dog Weight Puppies (to 6 mos. old)

25-50 lbs. 2-4 cups

Puppies up to 6 months old may be fed 3 to 4 times daily. Puppies six months to a year may be fed twice daily.

Has she been wormed?

SolaMio
January 9th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks rainbow- you listed the feeding directions before I did :D

And yes, she has been wormed, and with a follow-up treatment. So, maybe she is just a walking tummy! :o

I'm still amazed at how quick pups grow. No wonder they need so much food to keep them going. Imagine doubling your weight in a month (between 2 vet visits a month apart, she went from 9 lbs to 21 lbs). Hmm, I really wouldn't like to double my weight :laughing:

sizzledog
January 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Some puppies (and dogs) will snarf down their food regardless of whether or not they're hungry. My oldest dog is like this, she'll eat until she pops!

With puppies though, it's best to have a healthy medium IMO - if I had a 35lb puppy on Canidae, I'd feed 3-4 cups a day. If stools get loose, I'd decrease the amount. Puppies, at least in my experience, need a lot of food at the 3-6 month mark. I had a male Doberman puppy that at one time, was eating 8 cups a day of premium food... and I could still see ribs! His metabolism was very high, it was hard to keep weight on him.

Remember though - if diarrhea sets in, puppy is probably getting too much food and you'll need to cut back (you probably know this already though.) I usually never go by what's on the bag, i let the dog tell me how much they need, through their body weight and energy.

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Some puppies (and dogs) will snarf down their food regardless of whether or not they're hungry. My oldest dog is like this, she'll eat until she pops!

With puppies though, it's best to have a healthy medium IMO - if I had a 35lb puppy on Canidae, I'd feed 3-4 cups a day. If stools get loose, I'd decrease the amount. Puppies, at least in my experience, need a lot of food at the 3-6 month mark. I had a male Doberman puppy that at one time, was eating 8 cups a day of premium food... and I could still see ribs! His metabolism was very high, it was hard to keep weight on him.

Remember though - if diarrhea sets in, puppy is probably getting too much food and you'll need to cut back (you probably know this already though.) I usually never go by what's on the bag, i let the dog tell me how much they need, through their body weight and energy.

Exactly. :D

SolaMio
January 10th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks everyone.. So helpful. I'll up the amount a bit and see how she does. I think she really would eat until she popped. :laughing: