Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beet pulp?

zztopp
January 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Since joining this forum, I have been doing quite a bit of 'detective' work, researching into Kass's dog kibble. I now realize its not the best choice ;)

But I keep seeing people that bash beet pulp as an ingredient and I'm not totally sure why??

I've done plenty of research on beet pulp (since I feed it to my horses) I have heard several 'horseowner' myths (and opinions) as to why it shouldn't be fed. So, I'm curious to know why some of you dog owners don't want to feed it?

Thanks,

-- zztopp

rainbow
January 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Beet pulp is added to dog food as a stool hardener and lots of people don't think it is necessary. If it's in a kibble I would make sure that it says that the sugar is removed from it.

So, I'm curious, what are the horseowner myths/opinions? :D

zztopp
January 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Rainbow, I find that VERY interesting that you say that!! Beet pulp is (almost) pure fibre. And fibre generally acts as a stool softener ... at least in humans and horses ;) So I would assume its the same for dogs??

Did you know that beet pulp is a byproduct of the sugar beet industry? Beet pulp has had as much of the sugar removed, as humanly possible. (Horse companies tend to add molasses to beet pulp to make it more palatable, so that adds some sugar content. But I don't know whether the dog food companies add anything sugary directly to the beet pulp?) So, beet pulp is basically sugarless :)

Some horse owner myths about beet pulp ... horse people generally buy it in a 'pelleted' form that expands when soaked in water. Some horseowners believe that the unsoaked pellets can expand in the horses stomach/throat causing colic (an impaction in the gut). Some also believe that it is a 'worthless' product, that does nothing but make horses manure runnier ;) ;) But since it is loaded with fibre, its TOTALLY worth feeding (especially to underweight horses) it also ensures proper water intake to fussy horses.

There are many others, but those are the main ones :)

Goldens4Ever
January 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
....Beet pulp is (almost) pure fibre. And fibre generally acts as a stool softener ......

It depends upon what type of fiber you are referring to: soluble or insoluble. One makes stools soft while the other makes stools firm.

rainbow
January 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
It depends upon what type of fiber you are referring to: soluble or insoluble. One makes stools soft while the other makes stools firm.

From what I've read beet pulp contains both soluble and insoluble fibre. I don't think it's one of the worst ingredients in dog food. In fact one of the brands I feed when money is tight (Acana) has beet pulp as an ingredient. It's a cheap source of fibre and that's how they keep the price down.

rainbow
January 8th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Rainbow, I find that VERY interesting that you say that!! Beet pulp is (almost) pure fibre. And fibre generally acts as a stool softener ... at least in humans and horses So I would assume its the same for dogs??

There is a book called "Dog Food Secrets" and it's called a stool hardener in there. Scroll down to page 27.....

http://files.meetup.com/32587/68dogfoodingredientstoavoid.pdf

gypsy_girl
January 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I have always been curious about the phrase "stool hardener" because in the cause of alot of fiber sources it removes excess water in the intestinal tract, hence "hardening" the stool????
Beet pulp also contains pectin which is a prebiotic. This fiber source being soluble/insoluble would be the same as pumpkin which is very effective at alleviating digestive upset strictly looking at it from a "fiber" perspective.