Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kong toys

marko
January 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I love Kongs.

If you buy the right model for the type of dog you have , they are almost indestructible. You can fill them with treats like peanut butter or kibbles and it will keep your dog occupied for quite a while.

Also when you throw them, they have an unpredictable bounce which allows your dog to use various different muscles during the chase.

I give Kongs 5 paws up - :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Except that ... all the PB doesn't come out and gets hard and yucky in the cracks and openings of the thing :yuck: :sad: I'm ready to throw mine out and get a clean one before someone gets :sick:

luckypenny
January 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Lucky, Penny, & Ava agree Marko. :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: 5 paws up from each of them for the Kong. Although our dogs don't chew on them, the Kongs are wonderful for stuffing. We make layers eg, chicken, peanut butter, and a mixture of dry cottage cheese and raw scrambled eggs. Throw into freezer (takes them 2 minutes to empty if they're not frozen :o) and give to them when I have to leave the house. They don't even notice I'm gone :) .

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I love Kongs.

If you buy the right model for the type of dog you have , they are almost indestructible. You can fill them with treats like peanut butter or kibbles and it will keep your dog occupied for quite a while.

Also when you throw them, they have an unpredictable bounce which allows your dog to use various different muscles during the chase.

I give Kongs 5 paws up :

I agree, I have two of them, a round ball kind and a cylinder type, not an offical kong, but the same idea! I fill the ball with juice/gravy/broth and freeze it, or I use kibble, pb, sliced cheese mashes in there good, carrots, and steamed veggies mashed in...left over mashed taters, fresh or frozen, it's all good!

5 :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: from Dazy too!

Except that ... all the PB doesn't come out and gets hard and yucky in the cracks and openings of the thing :yuck: :sad: I'm ready to throw mine out and get a clean one before someone gets :sick:

Throw it in the dishwasher. :thumbs up I clean mine at least weekly, top rack, no issues. I can't believe your goldens would leave anything behind? What are you stuffing with?

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Throw it in the dishwasher. :thumbs up I clean mine at least weekly, top rack, no issues. I can't believe your goldens would leave anything behind? What are you stuffing with?

Peanut butter ... or cheese sometimes. Ours is an angular-round thing (if that makes sense) 6 or 8 sided "ball" if you like. There's a main hole to stuff it through - and to empty from as well - but there are side-slots for some reason and no tongue can get in there, I see no reason for them :confused: except to accumulate leftovers.

Maybe I should buy one of the round ones ... ok, 2! We do have two dogs!

luckypenny
January 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Here's the Classic Kong http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

You'll find lots of recipes on the site as well but leftovers and cottage cheese is what ours love best.

rainbow
January 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Kongs get :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: from our house too. :thumbs up

Make sure you get the black ones if you have "power chewers" though. :D

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My Rott had one once, on a cord! Not much point playing tu-o-war with him though, Javelot :rip: was just too strong, won every time (plus he had a better grip than we did, on the kong vs short cord).

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Kongs get :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: from our house too. :thumbs up

Make sure you get the black ones if you have "power chewers" though. :D

Good to know :thumbs up thanks rainbow! Dani is one of those ... nothing survives her jaws!

jessi76
January 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

My dog is on his 2nd black Kong. he chewed up the first one. :eek:

I do like the Kong alot - but I wish it was bright orange and glow in the dark. I have to have the big black one, the toughest one made, but it's hard to find around the house! I spend more time searching for that darn thing! under couches, beds, behind chairs, mixed in w/ the snow boots, etc...

It's not always easily cleaned either. I keep a toothbrush by my kitchen sink labeled KONG CLEANING ONLY. lol.

Tucker is really too smart for the kong though. he knows how to drop it so it bounces just right and everything comes out. or he'll lick some and then "save" the rest until I come home, and by then, I'm afraid whatever was in it has gone bad. (i.e. cheese sitting out all day - ick!) I do use it, almost daily, but it doesn't keep him entertained very long anymore.

Frenchy
January 8th, 2008, 09:11 PM
they are almost indestructible.
Yep , almost ! :frustrated: but I love them too , guess my fuzzbutts like them a bit too much :D

I keep a toothbrush by my kitchen sink labeled KONG CLEANING ONLY. lol.

Same here :thumbs up

BusterBoo
January 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Buster is my destructo dog and is on his second red kong (bone shaped, about 5 inches long, holes at both ends)

Each morning I put some peanut butter in each hole, shove 4 little treats and put it in his house (crate). Most days when I get home he has cleaned it out, but somedays, for some reason, he doesn't touch it :shrug:

It used to have a rope through both holes, but he destroyed that within the first day. :D since he destroys all stuffies, the Kong is the only thing he has (and real bones of course.)

:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: from me and Buster

wdawson
January 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
my dogs hate them......stuffies only.....well maggie loves CUZ....:rolleyes:

JanM
January 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: from Amber, Bobby and I!
Amber swims for a kong on a rope - great for throwing in water - not good for throwing on land (it's too heavy). Amber also gets a kong in the middle of her supper dish to slow her eating down - works like a charm! Bobby is thankful that Amber takes longer to eat her supper because now she doesn't stare at him while he finishes :laughing:

Both dogs love the fuzzy wubba - they don't much care for the canvas one - I think it is the softness of the fuzzy wubba that they like.

otter
January 8th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Molly's not a big Kong fan, unless it has PB in it but, i've had so much great experience with them with other dogs that I definitely give them the :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

Only I have to tell (sorry i'm not so good at online story telling but i'll try)....
The first day I ever visited my current vet I was sitting in the waiting room when a police officer with a huge German shepherd comes out of the exam room. While the guy is getting organized I say "hi" to his dog, they guy turns around and says to me "want to see something interesting?". Well, I say "sure", of course, the guy pulls out an X-Ray and says "do you know what a KONG is". Me: "uh sort of", He: "Well don't leave your dog alone with one", Me: "huh, why not?", He: "see that big lump in the XRay of my dog - that's his last KONG - he ate the whole thing!" (and pretty much WHOLE)

The vet comes out to say "good bye" to the guy and his dog and gives the usual "call me in a few days if there is any problem". I ask the guy when Surgery is scheduled (to remove the KONG), he says "no surgery yet, the vet thinks it'll work it's way out" :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I think the guy must have given his dog a size that was too small for the dog in the first place. :sad:

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Amber also gets a kong in the middle of her supper dish to slow her eating down - works like a charm! Bobby is thankful that Amber takes longer to eat her supper because now she doesn't stare at him while he finishes :laughing:

I do that with Chase to slow him down too so he finishes the same time as Logan. :D

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I do like the Kong alot - but I wish it was bright orange and glow in the dark. I have to have the big black one, the toughest one made, but it's hard to find around the house! I spend more time searching for that darn thing! under couches, beds, behind chairs, mixed in w/ the snow boots, etc...

It's not always easily cleaned either. I keep a toothbrush by my kitchen sink labeled KONG CLEANING ONLY. lol.

Tucker is really too smart for the kong though. he knows how to drop it so it bounces just right and everything comes out. or he'll lick some and then "save" the rest until I come home, and by then, I'm afraid whatever was in it has gone bad. (i.e. cheese sitting out all day - ick!) I do use it, almost daily, but it doesn't keep him entertained very long anymore.

I wish it was a brighter colour too. :thumbs up

I use a brush I got from the Fullerbrushman to clean mine. I can't remember what it's called but it's like an oversized toothbrush. :D

Yep, both my boys know the "drop & bounce" trick too. :D

Still give it :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: though.

otter
January 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I think the guy must have given his dog a size that was too small for the dog in the first place. :sad:

If memory serves me right it was probably the large size (you could pretty much see it's form in the xray)... maybe that's why they came out with the King size:laughing: - I don't think they had so many sizes back then, this was about 10 years ago (though I guess Kongs have been around alot longer than that - maybe I just didn't know better)

Good advice though... make sure you get the appropriate size for you dog!:thumbs up