Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeling nausous...YUK!

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
So twice a day I take a perscription med called Metformin..and it makes me very nausous! They say take it with food, and I do, but no matter what my mouth starts watering, and I almost toss my cookies...I hate it. :yuck: This morning I was at my desk and a vendor came in just as the watering started...he asked me a question and I gaged and dry heaved in response. I don't think he realized I was holding my garbage can. LOL! Then as fast as it hits, it's gone. :shrug:

No real point to this post other then I thought I would share. Anyone else fight nausia? Or take Met? Are there any foods that help nausea that maybe I can eat with my meds?

I am not sure I can do this forever...I dread it. :wall:

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
my dad take saltines. and gatorade.

forget that:: i just noticed it's a diabetic drug. not for diabetes.

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ginger?

I seem to remember that ginger helps against nausea. Of course, raw ginger is pretty hard to eat, but there is candied ginger to be found which should do the trick too.

Poor you :sick:

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys!! I might try dried ginger, wonder if that will work?

There are lots of pros to the drug as well, and I need to be on it, a great side effect is weight loss, so I need to keep taking it...but good lord...it makes me ill. And it seems to have raised my nausia response levels to almost anything...I gag more brushing my teeth, picking up dog poo is worse then ever....jeepers. :yell:

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
my dad take saltines. and gatorade.

forget that:: i just noticed it's a diabetic drug. not for diabetes.

I don't take it for diabetes...which is a great thing...I am not diabetic. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I hate to double up drugs, but can your doctor maybe prescribe you an antinausea drug to take with it? :shrug:

CearaQC
January 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Not diabetic?

Well there's an age old remedy for nausea - peppermint candies with real peppermint, not the fake stuff. Try to find some Peppermint essential oil too in a room spray. If I had a small enough bottle I'd mail you some of my EO. A tiny bit goes a LONG way.

http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/nausea.htm

I get mine from

http://www.wellnaturally.ca/essential_oils/peppermint_oil.html

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I hate to double up drugs, but can your doctor maybe prescribe you an antinausea drug to take with it? :shrug:

We have talked about it, however I take the drug for fertility purposes and I need to try and limit what I take meds wise...there is an extended release formula but it's not usually perscribed for the reason I take it.

I wonder if any kind of herbal anitnausea pills would be ok, and maybe only take it with the am dose cuz I am at work...I can deal withthe supper dose, I am at home and can dry heave all I want...:laughing: Hum, maybe I will research that and ask the doc at my next appt. I had asked him about actual meds, not herbal solutions...

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Not diabetic?

Well there's an age old remedy for nausea - peppermint candies with real peppermint, not the fake stuff. Try to find some Peppermint essential oil too in a room spray. If I had a small enough bottle I'd mail you some of my EO. A tiny bit goes a LONG way.

http://www.otan.dni.us/webfarm/emailproject/nausea.htm

I get mine from

http://www.wellnaturally.ca/essential_oils/peppermint_oil.html

Nope, not diabetic. :D Peppermint you say...hum, sounds easy enough...the smell of it works too? (room spray?)

breeze
January 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
you can try a little bit of ginger ale or the old fashion peperments..

I get car sick very often when I go for long drives and I make sure I have old fashion pepermint (the white ones not the pick ones) or pepermint gum..

krdahmer
January 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Gingerale & saltines together... peppermint tea... or warm-hot water with a chunk of ginger in it.

I am lucky, I have somewhat of a stomach of steel, I don't get nausea (except when I was pregnant... have you taken a test lately?? ;)) and have taken so many meds, very few bother me. Which is a good thing because I am on 2 metformin twice a day for my sugar. I find that something like saltines works really well because it is more substantial then tea. But peppermint is supposed to be great for digestive issues, and that ginger in hot water really works for me (I actually add lemon juice too... great way to stay um... cleaned out).

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Gingerale & saltines together... peppermint tea... or warm-hot water with a chunk of ginger in it.

I am lucky, I have somewhat of a stomach of steel, I don't get nausea (except when I was pregnant... have you taken a test lately?? ;)) and have taken so many meds, very few bother me. Which is a good thing because I am on 2 metformin twice a day for my sugar. I find that something like saltines works really well because it is more substantial then tea. But peppermint is supposed to be great for digestive issues, and that ginger in hot water really works for me (I actually add lemon juice too... great way to stay um... cleaned out).

Thanks, will try all of the above. The met doesn't make you ill? I take 2 x 500 twice a day, so 2000 total. I haven't taken a test since November, I use to take them all the time, I don't anymore. I guess I could, I should really, but you know how that goes...the whole test - negitive - wonder - question - worry - try again - test. Plus since I started this "journey" I get my "you know what" every 14 :censored: days! It's aweful. Really :censored: aweful!

I wish I was "normal". :laughing:

breeze
January 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Fordgirl If you were "normal" then you would not be a petlover :laughing::laughing::D

Stacer
January 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I was going to suggest peppermint too, it works for me. Your other option is the old wacky tobacky.;) I hear it's good for nausea.

badger
January 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
You can get ginger tea at most big grocery stores; it's quite tasty. Sounds like a nasty drug, poor you.

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I was going to suggest peppermint too, it works for me. Your other option is the old wacky tobacky.;) I hear it's good for nausea.

Stacer - If I wasn't TTC I would try that out! LOL! I wonder if I could get a perscription? Apparently, the docs and government have all the good stuff man...:laughing:

badger - it is nasty, but the benfits outweigh the issues...otherwise I would have quit a long time ago....

Stacer
January 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Stacer - If I wasn't TTC I would try that out! LOL! I wonder if I could get a perscription? Apparently, the docs and government have all the good stuff man...:laughing:

badger - it is nasty, but the benfits outweigh the issues...otherwise I would have quit a long time ago....

I think you have to have a chronic illness to get a prescription, so you're outta luck cause I don't think TTC is considered a chronic illness :laughing:

A guy who used to work for the same company as me actually quit his job and moved to Saskatchewan to grow sweet maryjane for the government. Now that's a job! :D

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
A guy who used to work for the same company as me actually quit his job and moved to Saskatchewan to grow sweet maryjane for the government. Now that's a job! :D

Where do I apply?! :D

krdahmer
January 8th, 2008, 09:07 PM
You're taking exactly the same dose as me.... and you should definitely check, you never know! ;) :fingerscr!!!

I even take mine on an empty stomach most mornings, but like I said I've taken a LOT of meds, and am a lot bigger than you also so I don't get the side effects many suffer.

Frenchy
January 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM

That's what I thought too. And there some over the counter , maybe they're less strong than prescription ? Still could help with less damage....

otter
January 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I'm doing a trial run of taking it ... seems it has a multitude of applications.

I too have had some nausea issues, not all the time, it just comes and goes, pretty bad if I take it on an emptyish stomach.

Have you tried taking it after eating something? (note: try this at home, keep a bucket near by, just in case :D) - maybe just 15-20 min after eating?

Maybe try taking it with something that will give your blood sugar a good boost (gingerale might be perfect - dual benefit). Low blood sugar can make you feel nauseous (seems crazy cause you need to eat if your blood sugar is low, feeling nauseous is no way for your body to tell you it needs sugar:confused:)

krdahmer
January 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Otter thats a good point, I hadn't thought of that, it's only happened to me once when I mixed up my insulins... very scary got dizzy, light headed and very nauseated.

ForGirl do you check your blood sugar often? or at all?

Kristin7
January 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I have issues with nausea as well - it started a few years ago and I blame it on a birth control pill I was on. It was terrible, I felt ill much of the time and would get pretty bad motion sickness, to the point I couldn't go out to eat anymore and road trips were almost out of the question. I went off of it and gradually things have improved but I still have occasional bouts of not feeling well or motion sickness. So, my remedies are 1) ginger tea - brew it strong, seems to have more of an effect with some lemon added. Yogi brand works well for me and they make a ginger lemon tea that is really nice. you can make your own ginger tea by steeping raw ginger slices in hot water, too. 2) dramamine, less drowsy formula - this is meclazine and a different formula than regular dramamine. It is not just used for motion sickness but is considered an anti-nausea med. Consult your dr to make sure it is ok to take with your other meds. You may not want to use this as an every day thing but for me it works best and luckily I am not feeling ill every day anymore - I use it on long car trips and on days I feel particularily bad. And recently I added something else, so have a number 3) Sea-bands - you put them on your wrists and they work via acupressure, for all types of nausea http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm I just tried them on a recent car trip and liked them - no drugs, all you do is wear them on your wrists. One of my friends recommended them to me, she used them while pregnant and they did the trick for her. I hope you find something that works for you!

otter
January 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Fordgirl.... I found this website, it looks like some good info. maybe you might be interested (it's directed to people with PCOS but even if that's not why you are taking it there is good info on using Metformin with pregnancy issues. Also discusses some issues and alternatives.
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/glucophage-metformin-pcos.html

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'm doing a trial run of taking it ... seems it has a multitude of applications.

I too have had some nausea issues, not all the time, it just comes and goes, pretty bad if I take it on an emptyish stomach.

Have you tried taking it after eating something? (note: try this at home, keep a bucket near by, just in case :D) - maybe just 15-20 min after eating?

Maybe try taking it with something that will give your blood sugar a good boost (gingerale might be perfect - dual benefit). Low blood sugar can make you feel nauseous (seems crazy cause you need to eat if your blood sugar is low, feeling nauseous is no way for your body to tell you it needs sugar:confused:)

Hi Otter, yes, it has so many applications, it's not just a diabetic drug anymore...I take it to regulate hormones, testosterone, and help my body use the stored levels of fat and insulin - which in turn helps my "female" issues....it's less evasive them clomid and less chance of multiples. :thumbs up So far, it's doing what it should for me.

Doesn't matter what I eat or when I eat it in relation to the drug...like yesterday I had a large pink grapefruit (natural sugar) and a yogurt, and I was sicker then ol'heck! I try to eat some food, then take it, then keep eating...if I can.

ForGirl do you check your blood sugar often? or at all?

Never, each time I have seen a doc, which is pretty often, they test me and I have never been told I am diabetic. BUT with that said I can tell when my sugar drops or if I have too much...so I regulate as best I can with food, I always have good options on hand.

I know high sugar and high fat food don't mix well with met so i try my best to stay clear OR I pay the price....:eek:

So, my remedies are 1) ginger tea - brew it strong, seems to have more of an effect with some lemon added. Yogi brand works well for me and they make a ginger lemon tea that is really nice. you can make your own ginger tea by steeping raw ginger slices in hot water, too. 2) dramamine, less drowsy formula - this is meclazine and a different formula than regular dramamine. It is not just used for motion sickness but is considered an anti-nausea med. Consult your dr to make sure it is ok to take with your other meds. You may not want to use this as an every day thing but for me it works best and luckily I am not feeling ill every day anymore - I use it on long car trips and on days I feel particularily bad. And recently I added something else, so have a number 3) Sea-bands - you put them on your wrists and they work via acupressure, for all types of nausea http://www.sea-band.com/seaband.htm I just tried them on a recent car trip and liked them - no drugs, all you do is wear them on your wrists. One of my friends recommended them to me, she used them while pregnant and they did the trick for her. I hope you find something that works for you!

Thanks, I need any options I can get if i want to stay on the meds.

UPDATE: This morning I had a very large cup of herbal pepermint tea about 15 mins before I took my pills, then I ate a large grapefruit, then my pills, then a yogurt. And the only side effect was a rumble or two in the ol'tummy, but no watering mouth or urges to gag. :thumbs up

I will look in to other options too, but I will use the pepermint tea each morning. They say I can take it at bed time, but then I'd have to eat something right before bed, I am trying to avoid that.

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
(it's directed to people with PCOS but even if that's not why you are taking it there is good info on using Metformin with pregnancy issues)

Thanks Otter, that is why I take it to be honest...PCOS. :o