Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

15 year old cat lost whole tooth...

Bug
January 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hello,
I just wrote a long explanatory message but for whatever reason it did not post. I'll get right to the point -
Do I need to do anything for my cat now? She has lost what appears to be a whole tooth - long fang with even longer 'root'. She had had very bad breath for sometime now and that has disappeared. She is acting, eating, playing, 'talking' like normal.
I have no access to vet care but I do have access to meds so if I need to do anything for her it would need to be at home.
Thanks for any advice

Kristin7
January 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I think, if your cat is acting normal and seems otherwise fine except for the lost tooth, doing nothing (since you have no vet access) is the best thing. Can you look in her mouth and see if the gums look ok, not inflammed? Probably there is a hole where the tooth was and you don't want to have food get stuck in there. It might be good to flush it out somehow. If you could even call a vet and ask that would be best. Occasionally vets on this forum answer, maybe they will see your post...

Bug
January 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Kristen. No inflammation... if there was, just in case it starts up, what would you give a 12 pound 15 year old kitty for inflammation?

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
our tooth health is a picture of our body health. when you can, you have to get an xray of her teeth. she might have some serious problems. they can lead to more serious issues later on.

if she is fine and the wound is closing don't bother with meds just do a round of antibiotics to keep from infecting.

if all is well then put it off but she must eventually go to vet.

Kristin7
January 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I am not sure, that's why it is important to consult a professional. Some type of antibiotic, or salt water maybe? However, i am no vet so please don't go by my advice. How long ago was the tooth lost? It might be fine to do nothing... my cat had to have a couple of her fangs pulled and I don't recall doing anything after that, the holes just closed up by themselves.

Bug
January 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
It fell out last night during her evening wrastling match with my husband. She just had a snack and is at the moment rolly-polying in the sun on the patio with the dog. She is really an incredible kitty for being over 15 years old and originally semi-ferral.
I am glad to hear that you did nothing after your kittie's vet removal of teeth. That is informative.
Thanks.

badger
January 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
She'll probably be fine, but if it's possible that an infection 'pushed' the tooth out, I think 10 days of a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Metro (Flagyl) would be a good idea, especially since you have no access to a vet. Infections that start in the mouth can go on to affect other organs if left unchecked. And cats are natural stoics so I'm not sure if you could tell until she really felt crummy.

Wheezy just had dental surgery and the only reason I knew is that he stopped eating kibble. I now check out my cats' mouths all the time, much to their alarm.

Lightly salted water is excellent for any kind of cleaning.

Don't want to freak you out. She'll probably be fine.

Bug
January 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks Badger!