Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A comfortable spot to sleep for Czarina.

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
It's a little cold outside, and rainy. It makes me sad to wonder where Czarina would be sleeping now if she were outside. I can't think of the strays still out there, although I have a feeling they are taken care of by others around here.

Today though she's sleeping comfortably on everyone's favorite orange chairs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/052.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/053.jpg

Stacer
January 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Awwww.:cloud9: it's nice to see her out of the pyramid. Is everything settled down now? Are you gonna keep her?:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Maks and Vlad have been in and out of the pyramid today so she hasn't had a chance to use it. But she has found a few other favorite sleeping spots.

I'd like to keep her. She's still hissing at the others any time they get near, but I'm hoping as the days go by she will become more familiar with them and accept that she's got to share the space with them.

She needs time. She's been a stray for so long and I imagine untrusting of other cats, so being in a new home with 4 kitties is going to take getting used to.

Dracko
January 6th, 2008, 08:47 PM
The fact that she seems to be enjoying being indoors is really good. Sometimes cats who have lived outside are so freaked out all they do is try to get OUT.

And, I know the feeling in the pit of your stomach you get when you question your decision to take her in but I have to tell you (and I know others will agree) you are leaps and bounds ahead of some people who introduce a mature cat to others. The fact that Czarina is walking around even and the others are letting her is huge. It takes longer with an older cat than a kitten. It must sort of be overwhelming for her to see FOUR cats she doesn't know w/o a way to get away.

The fact that your other cats are aggressive will go a long way. Don't be surprised if there are a few spats, though. It would be more normal for there to be though I know it is heartbreaking to see.

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
The fact that she seems to be enjoying being indoors is really good. Sometimes cats who have lived outside are so freaked out all they do is try to get OUT.

And, I know the feeling in the pit of your stomach you get when you question your decision to take her in but I have to tell you (and I know others will agree) you are leaps and bounds ahead of some people who introduce a mature cat to others. The fact that Czarina is walking around even and the others are letting her is huge. It takes longer with an older cat than a kitten. It must sort of be overwhelming for her to see FOUR cats she doesn't know w/o a way to get away.

The fact that your other cats are aggressive will go a long way. Don't be surprised if there are a few spats, though. It would be more normal for there to be though I know it is heartbreaking to see.

Actually, mine aren't aggressive towards her in the least. She's the one who seems constantly on the defensive, but it's understandable on her part.

She does seem to feel comfortable walking around. The few situations I've managed to see, I've had the water bottle at the ready. I've got her little section in the hallway secured:fingerscr, and I'm hoping that since it's now unobstructed they will be able to see each other and be safely apart.

I'm hoping she's enjoying the comfy furniture, and rug and pyramid bed, and the regular meals and fresh water. She hisses at me now and then too, but I'm thinking it's because she smells the others on me.

All I can do is wait and hope she comes around.

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think she's still confused. She realizes this is a home, a new chance for her, yet she's scared of accepting it, scared of trusting and being let down again. But the fact that she's sleeping curled up on an open chair is a good sign, a very good sign. To me it says "I'm not too scared anymore, no one will hurt me because this human won't let them." She'll understand that the other 4 are your cats too and you won't let her hurt them either (guess she saw that with the water-spray and Maks earlier).

:goodvibes: and :grouphug: for the Fab Five and you!! 'Nite :sleepy:

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I think she's still confused. She realizes this is a home, a new chance for her, yet she's scared of accepting it, scared of trusting and being let down again. But the fact that she's sleeping curled up on an open chair is a good sign, a very good sign. To me it says "I'm not too scared anymore, no one will hurt me because this human won't let them." She'll understand that the other 4 are your cats too and you won't let her hurt them either (guess she saw that with the water-spray and Maks earlier).

:goodvibes: and :grouphug: for the Fab Five and you!! 'Nite :sleepy:

What you said makes sense. If she's comfortable enough to sleep out in the open, she probably feels she can trust me to watch over her. And when she hisses at the others, I look at her and say no. So her understanding that it goes both ways is important.

My friend also said the same thing about her finding it hard to trust. She might not want to get too comfortable thinking she may be taken out any minute, and put out into the hard world again.

Thanks for your continued support. :)

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
On my way back from the weekend, I thought "wonder how the 5 are doing" and "I must check on Czarina". Lol, it's like a ... cat soap opera, in a good way.:grouphug:

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, "As the litter turns.":laughing:

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Or "All my kitties"? "The young and the rescued"? "General Cattery"? (no, that would be Gerri's :laughing: )

clm
January 6th, 2008, 11:00 PM
She has such beautiful colours in her coat.
Has she been content to be inside?
Hissing at the other cats isn't all bad. My Mookie hisses at all the cats here. Even hisses at her sister. :laughing: Doesn't stop Gabby from chasing her all over the place to play.

Cindy

otter
January 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Czarina certainly is a beauty.:lovestruck:. As are Maks, Kiska, Vlad and Oksana! :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

It's been interesting following your story (sorry I haven't posted sooner). I always thought my two cats were doomed to be enemies forever but everyone's advice to you has given me hope as well. Yesterday, for the first time EVER the two of them walked by each other without so much as a "growl", YIPEE! Clover moved in full time (before that he lived in our garage) almost a year ago. Czarina certainly sounds like she is coming around at a faster rate than my two. I think you will have cat harmony very soon:fingerscr:goodvibes:

Dracko
January 7th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Actually, mine aren't aggressive towards her in the least. She's the one who seems constantly on the defensive, but it's understandable on her part.

She does seem to feel comfortable walking around. The few situations I've managed to see, I've had the water bottle at the ready. I've got her little section in the hallway secured:fingerscr, and I'm hoping that since it's now unobstructed they will be able to see each other and be safely apart.

I'm hoping she's enjoying the comfy furniture, and rug and pyramid bed, and the regular meals and fresh water. She hisses at me now and then too, but I'm thinking it's because she smells the others on me.

All I can do is wait and hope she comes around.

Sorry that was a typo on my part. I meant to say yours AREN'T aggressive towards her. You must have thought, "WTF, hasn't she been reading my posts." LOL

growler~GateKeeper
January 7th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Definately a good sign that she's curled up sleeping in the open - but even better is in the first pic her back is turned to the rest of the room - that is what is most impressive there (she has no defense against attack in that position) :thumbs up she's feeling very comfy & secure

rainbow
January 7th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Definately a good sign that she's curled up sleeping in the open - but even better is in the first pic her back is turned to the rest of the room - that is what is most impressive there (she has no defense against attack in that position) :thumbs up she's feeling very comfy & secure

I noticed that too.....it's definitely a good sign. :thumbs up Has she gone back in the pyramid since Vlad and Maks have been in it today? :o

SARAH
January 7th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I find that cats need more time than dogs to accept a new "species-mate". Even Misti (18 months) had trouble with Spoutnik (6 weeks) !!

However, last night as we were getting into bed, Spoutnik was playing on the bed (with hidden toes) as usual, and we heard a "miou, miou" softly from the livingroom. I peeked, and there was Misti on the rug, a bottle-cap in her paw, calling softly. Spoutnik rushed from the bed, along the wall (crouched to the floor, on the prowl :D too funny) and jumped her ... except he made sure to jump the space right next to her :laughing: They played hockey with the bottle-cap for about an hour before Spoutnik came and woke us up :frustrated: wanting to play more. Sorry Spout, out of the bedroom, door closed, workday tomorrow :(

:sorry: a slight thread-jack here

chico2
January 7th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Oh ancient,it's sooo great to see her relaxed,I agree with everyone else,her feeling comfortable enough to turn her back,is HUGE progress:thumbs up
She might never lick or cuddle with any of the others,my Chico never would,but I am 100% sure she will accept them as her housemates.
I think all multi-cat owners have hissings and some growling going on,that does not mean it's not going to work out.
You've done fantastic with this little girl:thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I hadn't thought her sleeping like that was such a good sign until you all mentioned it. It does bode well though that if she's sleeping unguarded like that she's comfortable there and knows she's safe from anyone messing with her.

Chico, as long as she can get to where she doesn't attack anybody every time they walk next to her, I'll be happy.

Sarah, believe me, I've had days when I have to get up and take a toy away at 2 in the morning. Mommy needs sleep!

ancientgirl
January 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM
She has such beautiful colours in her coat.
Has she been content to be inside?
Hissing at the other cats isn't all bad. My Mookie hisses at all the cats here. Even hisses at her sister. :laughing: Doesn't stop Gabby from chasing her all over the place to play.

Cindy

I'd like to think she's content being inside. Especially when she is able to sleep on a nice comfy chair or bed, and gets all the food she wants. I catch her looking out the window sometimes, but all mind do that too, and they've never been outdoor cats.

want4rain
January 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
heh been meaning to tell you, Baby Girl still swats the boys when they walk past her but you know what?? her and Hunter sometimes sleep together in the sun. :cloud9:

-ash

ancientgirl
January 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I think I can deal with a little swatting, but I've got to be comfortable enough to know there won't be any fights or attacks to the little ones until they are able to defend themselves better. Maks is getting there, I think he'll be as big as Vlad. But Kiska, she's probably going to be the smallest of the bunch. For now she's certainly the most delicate. I'm thinking if I can just get through the next few weeks and she becomes more comfortable then I think we might be able to make this work.