Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hawks!?

jesse's mommy
January 6th, 2008, 09:55 AM
So I have a question about hawks, we have some around here. I totally understand the circle of life and that they have to feed, I just don't want the circle of life to happen in my backyard and honey agrees. (We usually scare it off by either setting off a firework or shooting an air gun in the air -- in the air, not at it!) Anyway, this one particular hawk we have here in our trees tried to swoop down towards Jesse the other day. :eek: They are pretty big birds and I know they are strong, but how strong are they? Do you think one of them could actually pick Jesse up? She's 65 lbs! What is the max one of these birds could pick up? I was just a little shocked that it was swooping down towards Jesse. It seemed to pull up when it saw me out there with her. Any info would be appreciated.

14+kitties
January 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
There are many differing views on how much a hawk can pick up. Because of all of my kittens being in their catuary and loving to be on the roof of it I have done some research on this. I also have a 5 lb toy poodle who I never let outside by herself, even in her fenced in yard.
A hawk would not be able to lift a dog that weighed as much as yours but could do very serious damage to her trying. Winter is really hard on the birds when their food source goes underground.

http://www.doggienews.com/2004/12/hawk-attacks-yorkshire-terrier.htm

want4rain
January 6th, 2008, 10:04 AM
you know what kind of hawk it is?? i mean to say no, no hawk can life 65lbs of anything. :) ive seen a owl take off with a weiner dog once (very traumatic) but not 65lbs. watch out for your cats though.

its very likely she is nesting in the area. down in FL you get some(few) hawks who are nesting right now or nesting soon. swooping at your pooch is her way of defending her territory from other creatures. i think she is hoping your dog will move on. ;)

blue jays are notorious for that behavior... except they actually hit you with their claws and beaks!!!

-ashley

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Not sure what it was thinking, but there is no way it could pick Jesse up. It could, however, do some damage...but in my experience, no hawk would risk the possibility of injury to attack something that weighed 65 pounds...

What does Jesse think of the hawk? If you could get her to take notice of it, it would no longer have any desire to get closer... Any idea what kind of hawk it is?

An eagle might be able to get lift carrying something the size of a puppy but even an eagle load would probably max out under 8 pounds. Anything bigger than that, it would have to eat on the ground.

jesse's mommy
January 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Jesse was clueless to it. Such a good guard dog. :rolleyes: She was just bee bopping along in the yard looking for her toy. I've never seen a more clueless dog in my life. :laughing:

Anyway, I don't know what kind of hawk it is, but when it comes back I'll try to zoom my camera on it and take a picture.

It just concerns me that it swooped on something as big as Jesse. If it is nesting, I don't think it's in the trees in our yard because it would be there all the time. It's only there every so often. :shrug: As for a food source, I don't think it would be lacking anything here in Florida. I mean we had a cold spell for three days, but not anything that would ruin their food source. I just want it to go away and move on somewhere else. I don't like the possibility of it getting one of the critters we have in our yard. We welcome squirrels, birds, ducks, and whatever else wants to visit here. Jesse doesn't bother them so they feel safe and I want them to continue to feel safe here.

Frenchy
January 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Jesse was clueless to it. Such a good guard dog. :rolleyes: She was just bee bopping along in the yard looking for her toy. I've never seen a more clueless dog in my life. :laughing:

:laughing:

Maybe you can get something to scare it away ? I know we get owls (not real ones) to scare the birds away , I have one on my patio near the pool. Maybe there's something to scare hawks away too ? :shrug:

Dogastrophe
January 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Unless you have pterodactyl's roaming your neighbourhood I would worry much about a bird carrying Jesse off but as others mentioned, a hawk could cause a bit of damage.

Several years ago there were owls in a park in Fredericton (where I used to live) that would often swoop at people walking the trails.

Poor Jesse ... no one told her she was supposed to be a bird dog. :laughing:

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't worry either. I used to have falcons in my back yard, and they knew there was no need to take off if us humans came outside. The dogs they took off for though, including the Westie.

The Laps in northern Norway clain eagles take off with reindeer every year ... to get government compensation! I doubt whether an eagle could lift even a calf!

Winston
January 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hey Sarah! I love the falcons! I actual volunteer for falconwatch every yr in Hamilton. They have nested at the Sheraton Hotel for the past 13 yrs...Our matriarch right now is Madame X and her 3rd hubby named Surge! Love them...the are spectacular birds!

Sorry off topic here! I dont think lifting would be the issue here but the damage from an attack could be severe...doubtful a Hawk would come in and do something that risky!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
January 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I'd be interested if you could get a picture. Hawks generally eat either birds or rodents...some of the smaller ones eat insects.

You didn't have Jesse dressed in a butterfly or bunny costume, did you? :o

:laughing:

chico2
January 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have a HUGE hawk coming here every day in the winter,he must know I have lots of birdfeeders.
But even though I know he could get one of my Squirrels easily(they freeze in place seeing the Hawk)I've never seen him get one of the Squirrels.
I have tons of Pigeons,whom we love and they are the victims most of the time:sad:
I would not want to scare him away,he is awesome to watch,very beautiful,it's just really sad when he gets one of "my"birds.
There is no way,they could carry a 65 lb dog away!!

clm
January 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Huge hawks here too, and I've never seen them go after anything other than pigeons and doves. It seems they stay away from things that can bite back, like squirrels, cats or dogs. I would imagine an eagle would be a different story just because of their sheer size. Small dogs and cats would certainly have something to worry about, but no eagles around here that I've seen. Used to see golden eagles at the cottage and they were truly a sight to behold. I'd rather not see any bald eagles here, then my koi pond would look like a buffet. :laughing:
Big Max stole a bird from the hawk here one day. The hawk had chased it into the clematis vine and Max came out from behind the vine with the prize leaving the hawk very angry indeed. :laughing:
Now my parent have a huge grey owl at their place and it hunts night and day. The squirrels hide while it's out, so I'm guessing it has squirrel on the menu, I don't think it's big enough to take a cat or dog though.

Cindy

JamesO
February 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have never seen a hawk big enough to pick up Jesse. We feed birds in our back yard and must contend with hawks also. The bigger hawks, like the Red Tail, are so big that are quite slow and more designed for picking up rabbits and mice. I have a greater fear of the smaller hawks like the sharp shinned that come out of nowhere and can track a bird like a missile. They usually get what they go after.

Remember, hawks and eagles only see animals on the ground as food. They don't know these are pets and not part of the food chain. They only kill to eat. Many cats, on the other hand, will kill just for the sake of killing.

You need to keep on eye on Jesse (she won't be carried away) to make sure she doesn't get damaged by talons, and if you have smaller animals, they need to be watched while outside in hawk or eagle territory.

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Finally got a picture of the bugger. It's not the greatest because he was way up in the top of the tree. He really is a lot bigger than he looks in the picture :frustrated:

Winston
February 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
It almost looks like a Coopers Hawk..But can you see it clearly? Does it have a white belly with spots?

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Next time he comes to visit I'll look at his belly.

I have no idea what kind he is, but he definitely bugs me and all the critters in my yard. :yell:

Frenchy
February 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Pretty cool bird !

But JM , what critters in your yard are you afraid for ?

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
My squirrels, the neighbors kitties, the ducks, and the little birdies. He's more than welcome to the snakes, but not the others.

Frenchy
February 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM
My squirrels, the neighbors kitties, the ducks, and the little birdies. He's more than welcome to the snakes, but not the others.

:eek: :sad: your neighbors should keep the kitties inside :sad:

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2008, 07:46 PM
About all I can see is a lot of red on the breast and dark wings. Is it very reddish-brown on the breast in person? Does it have a solid russet breast or is it broken with fine horizontal 'pin-striping' in white? How big is it? Bigger than a crow or raven? It looks like a red-shouldered hawk--that would be quite large. If it's smaller, it could be a Cooper's hawk, I suppose.

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
:eek: :sad: your neighbors should keep the kitties inside :sad:

I know, but people still do what they want regardless of what is best.

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2008, 07:54 PM
My guess is, if it's a Cooper's hawk, it would rather have a pigeon or a dove than a cat. :fingerscr And certainly would opt for a nice poultry dinner rather than Jesse. :D

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I just looked up pictures and it's definitely not a cooper's hawk. I'm pretty sure it's a red-tailed hawk. Here's a few pictures I found. The page I found said they can be up to 2 1/2 feet tall.

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Is the tail plain, or banded?

chico2
February 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM
He looks beautiful!
The really large one I get has a spotted chest and banded tail,really yellow talons,but maybe they all do:shrug:
Jesses seems to have a rustcoloured chest,like the Red Shouldered Hawk?
In my backyard the larger Hawks take Pigeons and Mourning Doves.

Melinda
February 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM
thats the exact hawk we had bothering our critters this past fall, a call to the minstry gave me intructions that if I quit feeding my squirrels, chipmunks,birds etc, that after about 5-7 days the hawk would seek out other feeding grounds, it worked but man was it hard denying my critters food that they expected daily, the critters stopped showing up on the third day and the hawk left on the 5th day and hasn't returned and Im back to feeding my critters. a few times when he first showed up I had to run out with a broom to scare him off.

chico2
February 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I know feeding my backyard-critters,among them usually about 30 Pigeons,is what attracts the hawks,kestrels etc to my backyard.
Although I hate to see a bird getting caught,it's to me very much part of nature and the Hawks are stunningly beautiful to see.
More often than not,they leave my yard still hungry,I have 3 Crows(whom I feed leftovers)and they act as sentinels for the smaller birds,make such a racket,when seeing a Hawk, that all the birds go in to hiding:laughing:

BLB
February 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hi Everyone We had hawk problems with our bird feeders last winter and when we sent the picture to the ministry here in Ottawa they told us this was a Sparrow hawk and he was looking for food. In fact he decided to eat a bird right on our deck Yuck! They told us to stop feeding the birds and if the dog was a big dog to let her run around for awhile. They did tell us he could take rabbits small cats and tiny dogs if he really tried as well as inflict damage. They also said to try some of those plastic wind twirlers from the dollar store they did work but kept all the birds away. Hope this is of some help. We have a GSD so we weren't to worried but we did worry about our neighbours cat so we talked with the ministry.

Winston
February 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Chico did it look like this? maybe yours is a falcon...their feet tend to stand out they are so vibrant yellow..

Winston
February 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Here are some hawk examples
Cindy

chico2
February 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Winston the really large one who comes here,looks very much like the second pic,except he has longer tail-feathers.
His talons are not as bright yellow as the Falcon,but still yellow.
Looking in my bird-book,it's difficult,most Hawks look the same,spotted chests etc...it's only the size that's different.
Thank's for the pics:thumbs up