Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help in picking a food for allergic dog

Clauzilla
January 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I have a family of now 4 dogs ( 1 pit mix, 1 Malinois, 1 Redbone Coonhound and 1 shep/everything mix)
THe Shep mix is Sputnik who has severe allergies to everything, we tested him and he is allergic to the mold in the dirt, yeast, alot of things we can't control, he is NOT allergic to fleas or ticks ot which he has none of but the vets tried telling me that was his problem even thought they never found any on him, then wanted to sell me more product and apply it once a week....

He is allergic to human dander.

But he is allergic to foods, Corn, Rice, Wheat, Soy, Yeast, Chicken, Rabbit.

I have him on Evo Red Meat at present and we are on it for about 2 months now, and for the last 2 bags I just put everyone on it, the others were eating regular Innova, I also supplement with meat and other things.

We have TERRIBLE gas/farting issues. Also sometime stools are thick and not firm, I am thinking its the food, its off and on, but the gas is enough as this AM made me make up and leave the room, its winter and I turned on the air conditioner just to refresh the air in the room, its really bad.

What are some suggestions of food. I had thought of the IVD line, but they changed ingrediants and have alot more potatoe than meat now in the foods, the canned version is almost all chunks of potatoe. I thought about Natural Balance, but didn't they have a problem with the recall.?
I guess I can change everyone but him back to Innova but its just easier feeding one type of food for issues such as storage.

Any suggestions would be great. Also I pay about 53 for the big bag of Red Meat Evo so I would not like to go over that in price. That is a bit much for me, 1 bag last a little over a week

diandpat
January 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi there

I can relate to the gas attacks. I had switched my my two to the Innova RM too and they had a similar experience. I also found the stools stinky and runny. Now the little guy is on Orijen Six Fish and my golden girl is on a mix of six fish and senior blend and they are both doing well. Poops are still stinky (easy to find ;)) but they gas attacks are less frequent.

Hope that helps. Others will definitely be by with more help I am sure. I should warn you now...they are going to want pictures! lol

Good luck!

want4rain
January 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
i would seriously look up a dog allergist, get a second opinion... something. corn and rice are both fairly hypoallergenic. the tests for dog allergies are notoriously inaccurate.

find yourself a goat farmer willing to part with whole goat, a butcher who is willing to butcher a whole animal and feed goat muscle and liver and kidney and rice for a month. i would be highly suspicious of synthetic supplements and the cooked state of protein. after a month, start introducing other 'allergic to' foods andn see if he really has allergies to them.

:laughing: add a bit of dust to test the human dander!! JUST KIDDING!!

has your vet looked into a yeast infection and bacterial infections?

-ashley

Goldens4Ever
January 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM
.......THe Shep mix is Sputnik who has severe allergies to everything, we tested him and he is allergic to the mold in the dirt, yeast, alot of things we can't control, he is NOT allergic to fleas or ticks ot which he has none of but the vets tried telling me that was his problem even thought they never found any on him, then wanted to sell me more product and apply it once a week....

.....But he is allergic to foods, Corn, Rice, Wheat, Soy, Yeast, Chicken, Rabbit.

.....We have TERRIBLE gas/farting issues. Also sometime stools are thick and not firm, I am thinking its the food, its off and on, but the gas is enough as this AM made me make up and leave the room, its winter and I turned on the air conditioner just to refresh the air in the room, its really bad.

Well, you would want a grain-free food, for sure. Try a type of protein he's never been exposed to, such as fish, bison, elk, etc. Primal or Nature's Variety raw would be great options as well.

The gas is indicative of his body not digesting the food properly.

Also, consider implementing the following products into the daily regimen:

1) Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (slowly working up to 2-3 TABLEspoons/day)
http://www.netrition.com/nutiva_coconut_oil_page.html

2) Nzymes Ox-E-Drops (diluting 3-4 drops with 1 TEAspoon water & mixing with both AM/PM meals)

3) Nzymes Bac-Pak-Plus (1/2 scoop with AM or PM meal)
http://www.nzymes.com/Articles/dog_skin_hair_problems.htm

4) Solid Gold Super Sen Gelle Shampoo & Jojoba Oil Conditioner (dilute 1 oz. product to 6 oz. water in an applicator bottle; RINSE WELL; using every 4-6 weeks)

The combination of these products, along with a healthy food, & routine grooming, has made a world of difference for my clients' dogs - miraculous results.

want4rain
January 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
yep, quite a few members swear by coconut oil for all sorts of ailments including allergies.

-ashley

Tommysmom
January 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
My pup has a bunch of allergies too - chicken, corn, chicken fat, just to name a few. We've had FANTASTIC results with Orijen fish (after trying a whole bunch of allergy type foods), combined with petzyme digestive enzymes and acidophilus (we sprinkle them on his food). No more gas, and wonderful poops now:thumbs up!

NoahGrey
January 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Has your vet taken blood from your dog? It not, I would suggest that you you do. There might be something more that is going on. Good luck.

PS: Can I also suggest maybe looking into the wellness brand? They have products that contain no animal by-products, corn, wheat and soy, as well as other ingrediants. They also have alot of grain free porducts as well.

ACO22

Clauzilla
January 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Blood was taken hence the allergy results, also a full panel was done along with the entire Thyroid screening. All blood work came back in normals.
They want to put him on Atopica also which I refuse, I am trying to control it the best I can naturally. Frequent baths to rid the dander and dust from his coat seem to be working best.
I do not feed all raw as contrary to most its rather expensive around here and even with the co-op beef runs over a buck a pound and my SO has said No.
I will check on more diets, many have rice as a main food so that is out, and some have so many things in them I do not know if some spice might set him off that is why I was looking for a basic type food with less things in it.
As for a diet of fish and bison, he has ate that as its in the evo rm , it has beef, bison, lamb. The fish diet I tried, didn't really see any difference in that.

rainbow
January 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM
California Natural is good for dogs with allergies as it has the fewest ingredients. They have a Herring & Sweet Potato formula:

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1326

Another option is Orijen Fresh 6 Fish & Sea Vegetables:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/ORIJEN6fish.aspx

I think the Orijen is digested alot easier than the EVO which should help with the "gas" problem. There is a lot of good information about the food if you read their "white paper" link. Orijen is also cheaper than EVO is. :thumbs up

mika140
January 6th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've had my sensitive boy on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon for a while now and he's done fantastic. It's Beef & Salmon, potatoes, and not too many other ingredients. No soy, wheat, corn, rice, chicken, eggs, etc. I had gone through about 5/6 other brands and formulas. I thought he had a chicken intolerance, which is why I chose this kibble. I'm now trying him on the Orijen regular adult just because it's easier for me to get.....and he's doing great, so no chicken intolerance after all. I think soy was the more likely problem. I had also considered the EVO RM, but heard some consistency from others about gas problems, and didn't want to go there with the sensitive tummy (plus I wanted fewer protein sources). The Solid Gold BATM should be the same price as EVO RM.