Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saturday at the HS...

Ford Girl
January 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi! I went again today, I had more time so I stay I bit longer then I had planned...oops! :shrug:

The place was pretty busy, and there were a few new dogs...I visited with so many, I don't even know if I remember them all, there were these two anatolian shepherds (I think, sp?), HUGE! (See the link below) Brothers, so very large, next to a dane I had never seen a dog that size, they had seperated them but both were so calm and friendly. A tiny maltese who was on hold was visited by him family while I was brushing him. I saw Ceasar, he has a fantastic coat, so much energy, he gets lots of exercise and visits. They are backed up for surgery so they have some there that are just waiting for surgery and then go home, that makes it easier, for me...not sure why, there are several for adoption, but as you visit dog to dog it kinda balances things out...:angel:

Basically I went around brushing them, and giveing them cookies, it was warm here today and I found the place stuffy, and warm, almost humid, which is strange for Calgary. The dogs were shedding bad, we get these chinnok weather systems that change the temp drastically...it was very warm today, for January!

Save the best for last...Tiny, the rottie is still there, she was so excited to have a visit, putty in my hands...brushed her, played stuffy tug..belly rubs. Oh man...I just love this dog...and alot of people get to see this interaction. it's such a good thing for the dogs. Like advertising!! :thumbs up

I got to spend about 15 - 20 mins with each dog...which was nice...and it seemed I also saw each dog go for a walk at some point while I was there...I get asked a lot of questions, some I know, some I don't...I am still not 100% comfortable with what I can assit with or say...but people do ask me things when they see me in with a dog, then come out. People also ask me about volunteering, which is also good, I try and make it look fun and relaxed while I am in there, of course the dogs play thier part and happily oblige me. :cloud9:

There were some puppies, OMG! So cute! I always go look even tho I don't work with them.

I went home covered in hair, smelling something aweful and feeling really good. (Altho now I am sore, it was actually a good work out, up - down - brushing, benind!!!) It's all good. :dog::lovestruck::dog:

Here's the link: http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/ I visited with all the adult dogs on this page...

growler~GateKeeper
January 5th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It's always good when visitors can see the dogs interacting with people especially the larger dogs while you are sitting on the floor in their kennels, it shows they're not all dangerous :thumbs up & are wonderful loving pets too

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Sounds like another great day, FG! :highfive:

I can relate to being full of hair! :laughing: It's sort of the state of things here... :o

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
That's great that you get to interact with the dogs in front of the public. :thumbs up There seems to be so many more cats than dogs there.....do you get to play with them too?

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

CearaQC
January 6th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Ya know... after you've had a zillion experiences, you should write a book or something. hehe

Seriously! Love reading stories of how living things help each other. Animals seem to know what to do intuitively and they are working through you to help make a difference. Whether to share a smile or a touching moment. :D

Love the part of smelling and being covered with hair. :laughing:

Frenchy
January 6th, 2008, 08:54 AM
These dogs must be so happy to see you ! And it's great you can talk to other people about volunteering :thumbs up Keep up the good work !

You didn't see Ceasar this time ?

NoahGrey
January 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for volunteering FG. As we all know HS's need volunteers. We need more people like you.

ACO22

happycats
January 6th, 2008, 12:04 PM
OMG, your job must e so rewardng!!
I just LOVE the anatolian's you have, actually they are all so sweet.
And I love hearing about you experiences, please kep posting! :)

Ford Girl
January 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
You didn't see Ceasar this time ?

Ya, I did see him, it's in the post, I only spent a few minutes with him cuz the dog walkers seem to focus on the doggie who need to burn the energy...Ceaser is one of thos guys. :lovestruck: :crazy:

There seems to be so many more cats than dogs there.....do you get to play with them too?

No, only the dogs, they have Kitty Karma folks that visit with the cats, and bunny huggers that visit with the bunnies and rodants...they only train you on one thing at a time, they are big on ensureing the volunteers don't get over whelmed, they do this so that they don't take all this time to train you and you never come back...some volunteers, for what ever reason, don't last very long. People go in strong and realize it's not for them, or it's harder to be there then they thought, there is a high turn over of volunteers. They have all kinds of different training and course you can take once you've been there over 6 months activly.