Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! So many foods to choose from!

M & M
January 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I have Golden Reterivers and am looking for the best food to keep them healthy. When I look at websites for Orijen, Timberwolf, or Canidae dog food, the shipping cost is very expensive. Is there a place you can buy good quality dog food with free shipping? We do have Petco and Petsmart around our city, but I do not believe they sell top of the line products.

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi and welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up Where do you live? :)

JanM
January 5th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome to another Golden-owned person! One of my two Goldens gets Go Natural kibble - Salmon with Oatmeal. The other gets half a stalk of broccoli, brown rice and cooked meat - usually ground beef or ground chicken with liver every once in a while. They both get raw eggs (in the shell) 3 or 4 times a week plus sardines every once in a while.

I was feeding Go Natural grain free but Amber couldn't handle it and it is too high in protein for Bobby - a very laid-back dog with low metabolism - that's why he's not on kibble any longer. He was very much overweight on the kibble but has lost 10 lbs now.

Where do you live?

M & M
January 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I live in Illinois.

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I live in Illinois.

Here is the store locator for Orijen....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/IllinoisStoreListing.aspx

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Here is the store locator for Canidae but you have to fill in your location....

http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

Kristin7
January 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
http://psp.know-where.com/petsuppliesplus/

I am in Indiana and find most of the good brands at a store called Pet Supplies Plus. They aren't exactly all over the state of IL, but there are some near Chicago and looks like one over by the western state line. If you don't have one nearby, I'd try some other smaller pet supply stores, you're right, Petsmart and other larger chains don't carry all those brands.

M & M
January 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately, I am not in that part of the state. I checked my local Petco store and they sell Solid Gold and I also can get Pro Pac Holistic dog food. Which one of these would be a good choice?

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Unfortunately, I am not in that part of the state. I checked my local Petco store and they sell Solid Gold and I also can get Pro Pac Holistic dog food. Which one of these would be a good choice?

If I had to choose between ONLY those two I would go with the Solid Gold. Are you sure there is nothing else available were you live? Is there a small independent pet food or feed store there? That is where you find the better quality premium/holistic brands. :pawprint:

M & M
January 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, there is a small garden store that sells dog food. What kind should I be looking for?

rainbow
January 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM
My suggestions would be:

1. Orijen
2. Innova/EVO
3. Wellness/CORE
4. Go Natural Grain Free
5. Canidae

Kodiak Bear
January 13th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Hi, I agreee with Rainbow's list. I feed my goldies Go Natural. Another food you could look for is called O&M Holistic, made in the same plant as Go Natural with very similar ingredients and available through out the states. Just try googling O&M. Good Luck:thumbs up

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Hi, I agreee with Rainbow's list. I feed my goldies Go Natural. Another food you could look for is called O&M Holistic, made in the same plant as Go Natural with very similar ingredients and available through out the states. Just try googling O&M. Good Luck:thumbs up

I hadn't heard of O & M before so just did a search. It is not as good as Go Natural imo. :o Not only is it a little on the grainy side but it also contains "fish" meal and menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K3).....

VIP Ultimate for Dogs Formula:

Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Whole Oats, Whole Barley. Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (as a preservative)), Natural Flavors, Tomato Pomace, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dehydrated Kelp, Carrots, Cranberries, Flax, Virgin coconut oil, Sunflower Oil, Garlic Oil, Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Streptococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Plantarium, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Managanese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D2 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Folic Acid

Prime Life Plus Adult Formula:

Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Whole Barley, Whole Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (as a preservative)), Natural Flavors, Tomato Pomace, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Dehydrated Kelp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Sunflower Oil, Garlic Oil, Rosemary, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Plantarium, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D2 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Folic Acid.

Kristin7
January 13th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Is there a Costco near you? If you can't find the others, I think some people here like the Kirkland brand dog food? They have nice dog beds too.

Why exactly don't the bigger chain stores carry at least some of these holistic brands of food?? I don't understand...

M & M
January 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
No, we do not have a Costco in our area. We do have a Sams, but they just carry Iams and Purina. I found one place that said "Free Shipping", but their food was much higher in cost. So I would like to buy food that is sold locally to avoid the extra fees.

Do you think I should be giving my "girls" vitamins daily?

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
No, we do not have a Costco in our area. We do have a Sams, but they just carry Iams and Purina. I found one place that said "Free Shipping", but their food was much higher in cost. So I would like to buy food that is sold locally to avoid the extra fees.

Do you think I should be giving my "girls" vitamins daily?

No, your girls do not need vitamin supplements unless recommended by a vet because of medical issues.

I would stay away from Iams and Purina.

What brands of dog food does the garden store sell?

M & M
January 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I called our garden store and they never heard of the brands I was asking for. They said they do not stock expensive food.

mika140
January 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Another great option is Eagle Pack. They have a regular (cheaper) line and then a holistic line too. Some Petco stores carry this line and I'm sure some smaller or feed stores would be interested if they don't already carry it. Their regular line is very affordable. And it's not just the kibble that I like, but the company too. They package their own products, meaning they have more control over the products and ingredients. I've also had great responses from their nutritionist when I've had questions. I'm sure most people here would choose to feed the holistic line based on ingredients, but that's not to say that their regular line is poor quality. I'd be happy feeding either one, which counts A LOT to me. I have a much harder time with companies that produce higher and lower priced lines, the lower of which has poor quality ingredients that I don't want to feed my dogs.

M & M
January 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I did find Eagle Pac online at Petco. It is sold only on-line. Do you think this holistic food is better than Pro Pac holistic? Should I be looking for food with glucosamine in it to help joints.

rainbow
January 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Eagle Pack Holistic is fine. As far as glucosamine in dog food you are much better off to add supplements yourself. The amount that would be added to any dog food brand would be minimal.

You can purchase the human supplement form. I would get a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin combined as it works better.

Noles1984
January 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Eagle Pack Holistic is fine. As far as glucosamine in dog food you are much better off to add supplements yourself. The amount that would be added to any dog food brand would be minimal.

This is true. Showing glucosamine and other joint supplements is more for show than for go. From what I've read, there's not enough. Also adding probiotics as a supplement is a good idea.

M & M
January 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Is Nutro's Lamb and Rice good?

rainbow
January 18th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I don't think so.

Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Whole Brown Rice, Dried Egg Product, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

It has alot more rice than meat due to the ingredient splitting (i.e. ground rice/rice flour/rice bran/whole brown rice). It uses poultry fat instead of a "specifically named" fat. Dried Egg Product isn't the best and it contains Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex which has been removed from the better brands because of the cancer controversy.

M & M
January 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks Rainbow for your help.

Ok, now I found a website that sells all kinds of dog food. It is call Pet food direct. Have you heard of it? Is this a good place to buy quality food?