Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat mange and isolation

wyer
January 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I have my grandsons cat here in an upstairs room while he is being treated for mange. He has had his second ivermectin shot (about a week ago) and his skin looks completely cleared of scabs and sores. He is supposed to go back to the vet for one more shot in another week. My daughter-in-law keeps forgetting to ask how long we have to keep him shut up away from our other cats.

Anybody know when we should be able to let him out? The room is big, he has toys and I visit him every morning and night to play with him, but he gets lonesome in there and cries when he hears us about the house. I feel sorry for him, and am anxious to let him out, but do not want to infect my other cats.

Help appreciated.

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM
My kitten Maks had Scabies when I found him. I'm thinking that's the same thing your cat has. His wasn't too bad though. I kept him at the vet for about a week, and they gave him three dip treatments and he had I believe two shots. When I brought him home I was supposed to keep him from the others for about a week too, but they sprung him within 3 days. When I called the vet they told me he probably wasn't contagious for his Scabies anymore so I allowed him to stay with the others.

You might want to call the vet yourself and see what they tell you.

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 09:50 PM
These sites seem to suggest the cat is kept isolated for as long as it is going through treatment. I would be checking with the vet to be safe. Good luck.

http://www.cheyannewest.com/tto-excerpt.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1334&articleid=737

wyer
January 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks to both of you. I guess he can stay in there until Monday and I can call the vet then. Maybe I can spend some extra time with him tomorrow.

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I hope he gets better quickly. Maks looked terrible. His fur was very course, and he had rough patches on his front leg and his ears. Now his fur is very soft and the rough patches are gone. But I have to say, he still smells faintly of the dip treatment. The vet told me it takes a while to get that smell off of their fur.