Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Four Camrose teens charged after cat microwaved...an UNSPEAKABLE OUTRAGE

RUSTYcat
January 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Four Camrose teens charged after cat microwaved

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=13abc91d-cdd9-4323-9ab6-6d9adfe1737b

"The words "Nice cat, look in the microwave" were scrawled in felt pen on the kitchen window and on the glass of the kitchen cabinets."

We'll be watching to see how the (so-called) Youth Criminal Justice system "DEALS" with this...........

Shaykeija
January 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/Xyarin/sniff-sniff.jpg

rest in peace little one :cry::cry::cry:

Masha
January 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM
:mad:Digusting! Outrageous! They should be tried as adults!! I hope they get locked away for good at a maximum security prison where all the other murderers and killers are!!!!

:rip::cry:

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I couldn't bring myself to read the article, but these kids should be tried as adults. They knew full well what they were doing! And their parents should be incredibly ashamed for not bringing them up with the compassion for innocent animals. I'm disgusted, disappointed and saddened.:mad:

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
This is beyond my imagination......how can anyone even think of doing such a thing? :sad: :sad:

Three 15 yr. olds and a 13 yr. old .....absolutely nothing will happen to them. :frustrated: :mad: Even if they were tried as adults the penalty would not be severe enough. :frustrated: :mad:

And, I hate to think of what these kids would be capable of doing next. :sad: WHY doesn't the justice system ever realize this??? :frustrated: :mad:

My deepest condolences to the family who loss their beloved pet. :grouphug: :candle:

t.pettet
January 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
These humans are MONSTERS and should be pts with a firing squad but microwaved first.

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Sick, just sick. :cry:

"The teens are facing charges of unlawfully killing an animal, unlawfully causing pain or suffering to an animal, break, enter and theft, mischief, and possession of stolen property. They are scheduled to appear in youth court in Camrose on Feb. 7 at 9:30 a.m."

I sure hope the judge and jury are animal lovers.

BusterBoo
January 5th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I thought twice about reading the article and then did....I want to vomit!

What kind of monsters are these children? I am sure this is not their first offence, be it with an animal or anything else.

What are the chances that the Canadian judicial system will do justice to this poor little kitty??? Not :censored:ing likely!

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
If they don't do anything for this offense, they should look at what was done as a whole. If these kids willingly did this to a defenseless animal, what are they bound to do in the future? I hope they also take that into consideration.

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 08:58 PM
If they don't do anything for this offense, they should look at what was done as a whole. If these kids willingly did this to a defenseless animal, what are they bound to do in the future? I hope they also take that into consideration.

Yeah, exactly!

RUSTYcat
January 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
They should be tried as adults!!

What are the chances that the Canadian judicial system will do justice...

The reality is that, chances are, the sociopathic brats have already been released BACK into the so-called "custody" of their so-called "parents".

BusterBoo
January 5th, 2008, 09:15 PM
The reality is that, chances are, the sociopathic brats have already been released BACK into the so-called "custody" of their so-called "parents".

Of course, they are "young offenders"..... just like the :censored: that murdered the 14 yr old girl in Toronto!

:frustrated:

krdahmer
January 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
:cry::cry::cry::sad::rip::angel2:

Sick, just sick. :cry:

"The teens are facing charges of unlawfully killing an animal, unlawfully causing pain or suffering to an animal, break, enter and theft, mischief, and possession of stolen property. They are scheduled to appear in youth court in Camrose on Feb. 7 at 9:30 a.m."

I sure hope the judge and jury are animal lovers.

And I think that would be a great place for any animal lovers in the area to publicly voice their opinion on the inadequate penalties for such an act. With all the studies that point to the fact that those are the kids most likely to grow up to be serial killers (and the school shooters)... you'd think the law would catch up at some point and be proactive.:frustrated::shrug::sad:

Janie123
January 6th, 2008, 12:59 AM
4 serial killers in the making.....That poor cat and the poor owners that loved it.:(:pawprint::yell::mad::mad::sad:

growler~GateKeeper
January 6th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Did you see this part:
teens who've been charged are friends of one of the couple's daughters, and knew the house would be unoccupied over Christmas

:cry2: :cry2: :mad: :cry2: :mad: :cry2: :cry2:

:rip: poor sweet innocent :angel2: :cat: :candle:

chico2
January 6th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I too only read the headlines and that was it:sad:too much to deal with..
If anyone thinks these kids will be punished for killing a mere little cat,they are in la-la land,they are probably all"good boys,good students,good athletes":rolleyes:

RUSTYcat
January 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Web Outs 4 in cat killing

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=ef4d352e-c402-4292-9120-46958dca13a5&k=67353

IMO, not surprising that there's been talk of "vigilante justice"....while that would be more repugnant than the original act, the cry for it would be far less if we had a REAL Youth Criminal Justice Act in this country, NOT the sham of the current Youth INjustice Act...............

amatazes
January 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
People who would do this to an animal would easily do it to human. That's how murders start there psychotic behavior.
Serial killers are all animal abuser and killers before they become Sams and mansons.
ugggggggggggggg.:mad: they make me so angry.
I fear what people are capable of.:shrug:

RUSTYcat
January 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Further information/updates here - VERY GRAPHIC/DISTURBING
http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=107&cat=59&id=1134220&more=0

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Quote: A fourth is in custody for breaching probation after an earlier incident in which he lit his younger brother on fire, his mother has said.

The brother spent several weeks at a hospital burn unit.

Camrose police have been overwhelmed by people identifying the teens and threatening them online.

And the mother of one (in the previous link) wants us to feel sorry for her son because he "left the room" ? He had no business even being in that house in the first place, and knowing about this break-in should have alerted police! Then I might have some sympathy for him. Now it's just too late!

I do believe those 4 will have problems returning to school :evil: and quite obviously one of them is already a dangerous criminal!

chico2
January 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Sarah,like any other horrific case of animal-abuse,Kensington the cat here in Toronto,Daisy-Duke the dog in Alberta,the horror about this poor kitty,will be on peoples mind now,screaming for justice......only to peeter out and be forgotten in a few months,until the next horror-story.
Nothing changes,animals go on beeing tortured and killed,simply for thrills and the perpetrators know damn well they'll get away with it.
Until we get a gutsy Premier who is willing to go against all the nay-sayers(hunters,ranchers,butchers etc.)and introduce an animal-cruelty law that suits the crime,animals will continue to suffer at the hands of evil people:sad:

RUSTYcat
January 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I do believe those 4 will have problems returning to school :evil: and quite obviously one of them is already a dangerous criminal!
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2008/01/07/cat-cruelty.html

Until we get a gutsy Premier who is willing to go against all the nay-sayers(hunters,ranchers,butchers etc.)and introduce an animal-cruelty law that suits the crime...

It's actually a Federal law that needs changing...current law dates back to 1892!!!!!!! The current Censervative government is proposing an update, but only for the penalties.....The Canadian Federation of Humane Societies is pushing for a much more comprehensive new law http://cfhs.ca/ - that one is being sponsored by a Liberal MP...info here http://www.markholland.ca/news/2008/080107Animal%20Cruelty.htm

Here'a another site that's pushing for PROPER change http://www.queenwaldorf.com/index.html

RUSTYcat
January 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I do believe those 4 will have problems returning to school...

Seems you're right:
http://www.canada.com/cityguides/winnipeg/info/story.html?id=1b6386e0-565e-4e4e-9e57-8d73a0e8efb0&k=46843

HOWEVER.....this sounds like more of the same....more violence from teen boys. I sure hope that community can "get it together" and get it right.

Love4himies
January 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Sad the school now has to take responsibility to protect these teenagers. No doubt if one boy gets beaten up at school, the parent will hold the school responsible. :sad:

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM
And in fact, the beaten boy will have brought it on himself, HE will be the one responsible for getting himself beaten.

Still, if the others are smart, they'll pick another area than the school!

chico2
January 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I feel NO sympathy for these kids,they deserve to be frightened,to always have to look over their shoulders,after all,can anyone imagine the terror this very unfortunate little cat felt,before dying a horrible death:sad:
I hate to say this,but I think they deserve whatever is coming to them,our justice-system,will not protect other innocent animals from suffering the same fate.
As a matter of fact,this horrible incident might have given ideas to other sickos out there:yell:

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Someone should build a microwave room, large enough to stuff the :evil::censored: inside together and COOK them too!! Serve them right!

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
They deserve what they are getting and more. Let them live their lives afraid and looking over their shoulder. At least are having a chance to live, which is more of a chance that poor innocent kitty had.

There are consequences in this world for things. If the justice system won't do anything to them, let justice be served another way. I don't care if they are just kids. They are old enough to know what they did was an incredibly cruel act.

I already freaked every time my gang would even try to investigate the microwave, now I just go nuts. I don't even let them near it when its running for fear any "waves" are seeping out of the door.

Spandxtria
January 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Just FYI, if you go to this site
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/36/justice-for-cat-killed-in-microwave
there is a petition you can sign to give those kids what they deserve. Probably won't do any good but if they get enough names you never know, so please sign for the poor kitty. Her name was Princess I think.

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for that link. I wish I could have been um...more graphic with what they should do to those kids!

Love4himies
January 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
:rip: Princess :candle:

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for that link. I wish I could have been um...more graphic with what they should do to those kids!

Me too, I rephrased myself several times :frustrated:

Misery's company
January 11th, 2008, 07:46 AM
That is absolutely disgusting. Poor kitty!

kit1469
January 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
This is so HORIBBLE!!!!!! i cant believe someone could do this ... just more proff that the world is disintigrating around us.. i hope those kids get what they deerve..ALL OF THEM!! even if the "begged for the torture to stop" why didnt they stop it themselves???! i just cant believe this... this is a lil off topic but not much.. this reminds me of bonsi kitties nyone heard of that?? just as bad .. kittens who are stuffed into bottles when they are born with tubes inserted for feeding and waste materials ... im proud to say i was one of the people who helped get the website shut down (tho it was allowed to be opened again when the owner said "its not real just a joke") i wish i coould do something in this case... :cry:

kit1469
January 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
one thing i forgot to add did any one notice how in the first article was more about the damage done to the house instead of what happened to that poor kitty??? its as if they are saying well that was bad but this is worse .. i dont even have the words to describe how i feel about this stuff...

RUSTYcat
January 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
There is a non-journalist, personal account of the first court appearance of one of the (alleged) perpetrators on KiJiJi Pets & Animals forum along with pictures of the protest staged outside the Courthouse...

It's heartening to know that some people won't let this just fade away!

If the mods don't mind (IMHO, KiJiJi is hardly a threat to Pets.ca!), you can see it here http://forum.kijiji.ca/viewtopic.php?p=6967492#6967492

Who knows, maybe the poster will join us over here!

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that post. I skimmed through some of the part where it described what they did, I just couldn't read it.

These teenagers knew what they were doing, and they knew it was wrong. They just didn't think they would get caught.

I hope they get made an example of. They are the lucky ones, because nobody put them in a microwave. Poor Princess didn't have that luck.:cat::rip:

chico2
January 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you Rusty,it is nice to see people care:cat:
At least Princess will know,wherever she is,that we are very sorry and outraged over what happened to her.
:cry:
Honestly I'd like to see these"kids"go to jail for a few years,forget rehabilitation,I am a firm believer once evil,always evil:evil:

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Chico, I agree with you. You can't rehabilitate someone who knowingly does something like this. Not every one or every act is able to be rehabilitated.

ancientgirl
January 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
THANK YOU for deleting that.

What a :loser:

bbbici
February 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I think it is finally time for pet lovers to not let this issue go, to finally exact vigilante justice on perpetrators of animal cruelty, from this case onwards. The justice system has been woefully inadequate.

People should start to learn there will be permanent consequences for torturous acts against animals or people.

chico2
February 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
bbbici,that is certainly what we all want,but how can we expect our justice-system to do the right thing,for a mere little sweet cat,when murderers literally get away with murder in this country,a lifesentence often means 10 yrs,if that:yell:
If it involves young people,it's even worse,usually no punishment at all,15-17 year olds today are are very well aware what's right or wrong,also that they will not get punished in any way:yell:

Love4himies
February 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM
bbbici,that is certainly what we all want,but how can we expect our justice-system to do the right thing,for a mere little sweet cat,when murderers literally get away with murder in this country,a lifesentence often means 10 yrs,if that:yell:
If it involves young people,it's even worse,usually no punishment at all,15-17 year olds today are are very well aware what's right or wrong,also that they will not get punished in any way:yell:

I agree with you, Chico, people in this country get away with murder because we have so much sympathy for the criminal and no regard for the victims. Our laws are ancient and need updating.

RUSTYcat
February 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I agree with you, Chico, people in this country get away with murder because we have so much sympathy for the criminal and no regard for the victims. Our laws are ancient and need updating.

Agreed.

BUT,

are we any better than "them" if/when we resort to this

...to finally exact vigilante justice on perpetrators of animal cruelty, from this case onwards.
?

Love4himies
February 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
are we any better than "them" if/when we resort to this

?

Not sure what you are asking, if anything. I don't believe in vigilante justice, but to change the justice system so the punishment fits the crime, not only with animal abuse, but other violent crimes as well. We now know more about human psychology now than we did back in the 1800's so why not update our laws and punishments.

RUSTYcat
February 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Not sure what you are asking, if anything.

I thought I was very clear, but let me try again...

...I think it is finally time for pet lovers to not let this issue go, to finally exact vigilante justice on perpetrators of animal cruelty...

then,

bbbici,that is certainly what we all want...

then,

I agree with you, Chico...

Does that help to clear it up?

O.K. Point is, no one challenged the call for vigilante justice, so I did.

Yes, I read the call for updated legislation, but it was only afterwards, in your last post, that I saw
I don't believe in vigilante justice

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I do not believe in vigilante justice,mind you,if anyone did this to any of my cats,I would probably be the one ending up in jailhttp://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif
I do however have a huge problem with the fact that these kids,as well as the ones dragging Daisy-Duke to her death,will not be punished at all.
Will be free to do it all over again:laughing:
I just wish someone capable of this kind of horror,would learn there are consequences,or I should say,should be consequences,either in boot-camp or jail,no matter what their age.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I thought I was very clear, but let me try again...

then,

then,

Does that help to clear it up?

O.K. Point is, no one challenged the call for vigilante justice, so I did.

Yes, I read the call for updated legislation, but it was only afterwards, in your last post, that I saw

Are you being sarcastic????

You took bits of somebody's quote and assumed that is that was what we were agreeing with, not the whole tone of the person's thought. I understood Chico to mean that there should be consequences for crimes and the consequences should fit the crime. I never for one moment thought Chico would want vigilante justice.

The point I agree with is that when people do not get punished for murdering humans, then how can we expect our justice system to punish for harming animals!

However, if a pedophile, rapist, murderer, or animal abuser got murdered themselves don't think I would loose too much sleep over it.

And, BTW, chico is the most loving and caring person, she would never want anybody harmed.

Yes, if somebody harmed my family, I would have a difficult time not returning the act.

RUSTYcat
February 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Are you being sarcastic????

You took bits of somebody's quote and assumed....

OMG!

Love4himies and chico2, my intent was to add something which had not been stated - by either one of you nor by any other poster - in reply to bbbici's post, specifically this part

I think it is finally time for pet lovers to not let this issue go, to finally exact vigilante justice...

I asked if we are any better than the perpetrators of cruelty if we were to "exact vigilante justice"...........that's all.

I think you missed my first comment after I quoted you, Love4himies (post # 44)...."Agreed"...about the need to change laws.

So, no sarcasm, no criticism of anyone (including bbbici), no assumptions.........no nothing other than a rhetorical question about vigilante justice.

Now, I'm unsure if all that's enough to clarify my intention, so, a totally sincere :sorry: for every misunderstanding my post caused.

Can we still be friends?:grouphug:

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
OMG!

Now, I'm unsure if all that's enough to clarify my intention, so, a totally sincere :sorry: for every misunderstanding my post caused.

Can we still be friends?:grouphug:

Of course, I am not a person who holds grudges (well unless you hurt one of my family members) especially on differing opinions. Everybody is entitled to theirs and I respect people for that.

Apology accepted, I wasn't sure if I was reading your post correctly that is why I asked if you were being sarcastic, wasn't sure, you just can't tell by reading a post :shrug:.

In truth, I didn't notice the vigilante line until you pointed it out (kinda looks like vigilant):o

RUSTYcat
February 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/7.gif

want4rain
February 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
to get a little off topic??..... perhaps i shoudl just start another thread?? i think ill do that!!

-ash

BrittBritt
March 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Oh man... When I read this I literally felt like I was going to throw up... Those teens who did that disgust me, and I feel sooo bad for what that poor kitty had to go through. If only those teens could go through the same death they put that cat through... Okay maybe thats a bit too far. Or it's not??? ughhh well you know what I mean. :offtopic:
Anyways I hope those two guys get what they deserve.

catlover2
March 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
This is an old thread.

This atrocity happened in December, 2007.

Has anyone an update on what punishment these kids actually received?

Frenchy
March 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Has anyone an update on what punishment these kids actually received?

Here are the updates. The boys were under 18 so ... IMO , not enough was done :frustrated:

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/12908/AB/CA/#UPDATES

hazelrunpack
March 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Chris Miller, the defence lawyer for one of the teens, says the boys are good kids who did something wrong.

:eek: That's a mighty powerful 'something wrong', fella! :frustrated: :cry:

catlover2
March 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I found some answers:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080904/EDM_cat_080904/20080904?hub=TopStories

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080904/EDM_cat_080904/20080904?hub=TopStories

Two 16 y.o. who "pleaded guilty in July to unlawfully causing pain and suffering to an animal" got 100 hrs. community service, 1 year's probation, barred from owning pets for 2 yrs., and ordered not to own or play violent video games. Judge Shauna Miller also ordered them "to pay $500 in restitution to the family".

The 2 who pleaded "not guilty" were scheduled for trial Nov. 17, 2008.
I can't find out what was the result of that trial.

Frenchy
March 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
:eek: That's a mighty powerful 'something wrong', fella! :frustrated: :cry:

I know hey ? :frustrated: I'm hoping the parents did their own punishment on their kids. I know I would have. And it would have been much worse than the judge's. :frustrated:

htsource
March 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I just found this thread and these teens they knew what they were doing! Too bad Canada protects the kids too much, they can easily get away with things! Imagine how they treated a little life, what they would do to us.

marko
March 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
This is an old thread that has run its course.

Feel free to PM me if any extra info needs to be posted.
Thx - Marko