Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat sounds

dustybird
January 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I am sure other cats do this but I was just wondering if anyone has any clue as to what it means. My male(neutered and 6.5 yrs old) has done this since he was about a yr old. I spread his food into 3 meals a day as he is a food hound and this way he thinks he's getting fed more than he is. Anyway usually after his dinner time meal and sometimes after his evening meal but usualy only once a day howls and carries on(hard to describe) after eating for at least 30 sec. It's funny to listen to him but just curious to why. I know some cats talk while they eat but this is after and not the typical talking sound.

Since it is something he's always done I am not worried and we go for regular check-ups. It's just wierd and funny as he just sits somewhere after and howls/yowls etc...few different sounds then washes up and goes about his normal routine...really wish I could speak cat. I worked in a clinic for many years and don't remember hearing other cats do it after they ate, some talked while eating but not like what Forest does.

Anyhoo just curious if anyone know's why or if any of your cats do it to, maybe he's just saying a little kitty grace:pray: after instead of before.

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe he's just saying thank you for my meal. :) Strange that it's only once a day though.
I have a few that purr the whole time they are eating. It scares me sometimes. I am afraid they will choke. One loves being scratched on his head while he's eating too. Funny the habits they have.

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Hmm...my Vlad kind of does that, but before he eats. LOL, that's his way of telling me, hey get up it's time to feed us.

I've got one kitty that chirps, and two that coo, so maybe this is your kitties way of saying something.

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I've never had a cat that did anything like this. :shrug: Have you ever mentioned it to your vet? :o

wyer
January 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
One of our cats makes a Harumpf sound everytime he jumps down off the bed or any furniture, as if landing knocks the air out of him or something. But he also Harumpfs with indignation anytime you upset him. You are not uspposed to call his name or in general bother him if he is napping or doing something like chasing a bug. He gets his nose bent out of shape and makes this harumpf noise and walks quickly away with his nose and tail in the air and his eyes staring straight ahead.

He is hilarious.

Sound like your cat has some unique personality there and is just expressing his individualisam!

dustybird
January 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Again I am not concerned just more curious I think about some of the sounds other's cats make. He does have personality and is a talker, just never really thought that much about his eating ritual as he has always done it.

It really is funny the things our pets do when it comes to expressing themselves. If Forest is sitting somewhere and you look over at him and nod your head up(like a hey what's up) he does the same with a little noise and comes running over. He's very touchy feely too, especially when he wants attention, if you ignore him for too long as you are in the middle of doing something he pats you constantly like a child tugging on your pant leg.

Our other cat is more of princess, will sit and stare at you all poised like until you figure out what she wants. When she wants under the covers to cuddle there is no stopping her she will head but and nip her way under and if you try and move too much while she is under there she gets annoyed and holds onto your arm with her teeth until you stop moving. In the end she always wins, your left laying in some awkward/uncomfortable position while she's flaked out across your side all stretched out in sleepy land.

Well I am getting a little off topic.

Thanks for the replies and I am sure we would all love to hear more about the unique ways out cats( and dogs) express themselves.

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
When she wants under the covers to cuddle there is no stopping her she will head but and nip her way under and if you try and move too much while she is under there she gets annoyed and holds onto your arm with her teeth until you stop moving. In the end she always wins, your left laying in some awkward/uncomfortable position while she's flaked out across your side all stretched out in sleepy land.

Well I am getting a little off topic.

Thanks for the replies and I am sure we would all love to hear more about the unique ways out cats( and dogs) express themselves.

Oh man, do I ever know what that's like :laughing: I've woken up sore from bad sleeping positions, just because I didn't want to move for fear of waking THEM!