Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching Kibbles

want4rain
January 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
why is it not suggested to switch kibble with each bag? why do people just stick to one kibble and why do dogs get such digestion upset when switching kibbles???

i would think using a few different high quality kibbles would be much healthier for your pooch. variety being the spice of life and all that. :) feeding the same exact 5 food sources for nutrition seems like the, hands down, worse thing you could do to your companions.

-ashley

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think it would be very stupid for someone to switch a dog's food at every bag !!! It's important to find one your dog will do well on , even if it's not premium. The main thing is to give your dog the exercise he needs. I have had fosters who were on crappy food all their lives , but had very active lives and were doing better than most dogs.

mika140
January 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've heard of some people switching kibbles with every bag. I know that one of my dogs could do it and the other absolutely could not. However, even with the one that could tolerate it, I prefer a little more stability. I'd rather at least keep her on the same kibble for several months. Especially if I have a balanced one from a company I trust....why not keep her on the same kibble? Most of the dogs I know don't really get tired of the kibble they eat. My other dog does very poorly with food changes.....just the way he is. Like how some people can have a variety of different foods, fats, spices...and others can't.

One other thing to consider...if you're always changing your dog's kibble, what protein sources do you have left that are "novel," in the even that your dog develops an allergy or intolerance. If you've already exposed your dog to every protein source out there (or all the ones with the companies you like)....you'd have nothing left to go to.

clm
January 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I would never switch after every bag, asking for upset tummies doing that. On the other hand mixing a few types is something I have done and have started doing again now. Unfortunately our income has been reduced a fair bit recently, so I can't feed the boys a steady diet of Orijen kibble anymore, but I can mix it (50/50), with kirkland kibble and make it go further that way. I still mix the kibble with the wellness grain free canned.

Cindy

want4rain
January 6th, 2008, 09:45 AM
well i dont think its stupid. even people with sensitive stomaches eat more than 50 different food sources... they just arent things like peppers, whole milk and coffee. considering its widely accepted that having such a limited source for nutrition or over exposure to the same food causes intolerances and allergies, wouldnt exposing your dog to many different food sources from puppyhood on would go great lengths to preventing that? maybe part of the problem of finding a food that 'works' for your dog be a direct repercussion of feeding a highly limited diet in the first place??

i think this is my biggest beef with commercial dog foods. i look at them and nothing is inherently wrong with them, other than people feed the same food exclusively because it 'works'. i dont think a homemade diet has to be the only way to go to get variety in your dogs diet.

i want to know why dogs on the same kibble get upset stomaches when you switch it around. is it because its not done often? are there dogs who previously had serious issues with switching their dog food do better when it was switched the 2nd or 3rd time? are their others on this site who had dogs with allergies/intolerances who also had upset stomaches from switching foods and in exploring which foods worked, did they eventually end up ok with frequently switching foods to discover intolerances/allergies? are there owners who have dogs and use several different kibbles or feed 'people food' along with their kibble who do not and have not ever had intolerances/allergies?? AND do they feel that was because of variety in the first place?

i had every intention of searchign the forum over the last few days but we are still having post holiday busyness.

heck the dog food project speaks of the benefits of switching dog foods within the same brands-
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=myths

clm- do you mix from the same brand or different brands? have you tried switching the food daily instead of giving them a chance to get 'use to' a single bag?

i can see a great deal of sense in a sort of core bag and then supplementing kibbles. such as picking one really good balanced kibble but having a few bags of other things. one week feed 2 days of 2 different kibbles, the next week pick 2 other kibbles and then rotating back to the first ones for the 3rd week. that would still challenge their system but not overly mix two or three different food philosophies. although from looking at it, dog food companies use a handful of food sources and supplement all the same things (because those are either inexpensive to supplement or because heat destroys that specific mineral or vitamin).

-ashley

pitgrrl
January 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Just to add to all the question :laughing:, this is something that I really wish someone could explain to me.

One of my dogs has a seriously sketchy digestive system. No particular diagnosis, even after 5 years and many vets, just sketchy. When he ate kibble, any tiny change in food, no matter how gradual, resulted in weeks of upset.

Enter homemade food, switched cold turkey, not problems, not adjustment period, everything was fine. I could change which meats I used, again, no problems.

About a year ago we changed to raw feeding, again, cold turkey switch, no problems at all. There are particular things he's just intolerant of, but besides that, changes in food don't seem cause problems.

So, my question is this, he eats many of the same ingredients that were in the kibble, so it's not a matter of allergies, and yet something about changing kibble caused problems that similar changes in fresh foods do not :shrug:

On the other hand, I know a ton of people who rotate through various kibbles, either same company/different varieties or different companies, and their dogs don't have any problems, so who knows really.

clm
January 6th, 2008, 07:11 PM
well i dont think its stupid. even people with sensitive stomaches eat more than 50 different food sources... they just arent things like peppers, whole milk and coffee. considering its widely accepted that having such a limited source for nutrition or over exposure to the same food causes intolerances and allergies, wouldnt exposing your dog to many different food sources from puppyhood on would go great lengths to preventing that? maybe part of the problem of finding a food that 'works' for your dog be a direct repercussion of feeding a highly limited diet in the first place??

i think this is my biggest beef with commercial dog foods. i look at them and nothing is inherently wrong with them, other than people feed the same food exclusively because it 'works'. i dont think a homemade diet has to be the only way to go to get variety in your dogs diet.

i want to know why dogs on the same kibble get upset stomaches when you switch it around. is it because its not done often? are there dogs who previously had serious issues with switching their dog food do better when it was switched the 2nd or 3rd time? are their others on this site who had dogs with allergies/intolerances who also had upset stomaches from switching foods and in exploring which foods worked, did they eventually end up ok with frequently switching foods to discover intolerances/allergies? are there owners who have dogs and use several different kibbles or feed 'people food' along with their kibble who do not and have not ever had intolerances/allergies?? AND do they feel that was because of variety in the first place?

i had every intention of searchign the forum over the last few days but we are still having post holiday busyness.

heck the dog food project speaks of the benefits of switching dog foods within the same brands-
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=myths

clm- do you mix from the same brand or different brands? have you tried switching the food daily instead of giving them a chance to get 'use to' a single bag?

i can see a great deal of sense in a sort of core bag and then supplementing kibbles. such as picking one really good balanced kibble but having a few bags of other things. one week feed 2 days of 2 different kibbles, the next week pick 2 other kibbles and then rotating back to the first ones for the 3rd week. that would still challenge their system but not overly mix two or three different food philosophies. although from looking at it, dog food companies use a handful of food sources and supplement all the same things (because those are either inexpensive to supplement or because heat destroys that specific mineral or vitamin).

-ashley

I think you have an intersting point W4R....Just not sure if I would want to go through the pain and digestive problems involved in testing it out. :laughing: Now the kibble, the mix I use is the same 2....Orijen and the Kirkland, but they do get daily variety in the canned. Wellness 95% chicken, turkey, beef and salmon and wellness Duck and Sweet Potato, Chicken and Sweet Potato, Turkey and Sweet Potato. They get 2 cans split between them per day mixed in with their kibble and they are different varieties each time they get fed. So they are getting a good variety daily with no tummy issues and have been getting that same variety in the canned since I got them as 8 week old puppies, so to your point, I would think that changing the kibble with each feeding shouldn't have that much effect and if you had a really picky eater, might be the solution to that problem as well.

Cindyt