Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What Was Wrong

Count34
January 5th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I lost my dog New Years morning at 3am. She was laying in her chair and when she didn't come when I was eating, I knew something was wrong. I called her and she didn't come. I went to her large chair and there was stool on the end of the chair and on the floor. She never went indoors. She would not respond to me. I got her out of the chair by picking her up with the cushion. She was still alive. There was drool on the side of her mouth and she could not move her legs. She did finally get up but was wobbly like she was drunk. I called the vet and they met me at there office. He listened to her heart, looked in her eyes and mouth and said she had a stroke. He then injected her in the leg, saying it was something to open the arteries and then went in the other room. A couple of minutes later her front legs stiffened up and she took her last breath. I'm not feeling comfortable about the Dr's evaluation of what was wrong and maybe this is just me in my grief. There was no sense of urgency by the vet and he didn't come in the room until I said that I think she is gone. He listened to her heart and said that I was right. My dog was almost 11 years old and very active, even hours before this happened. We played when I got home from work. There was no sign whatsoever of anything being wrong with her. When I took her outside she only did a very small stool and I was expecting more. No problem wetting. The only thing I remember that was out of the norm that night was she came in my computer room and just sat there looking to the other room. Usually she would lay or stand next to me for awhile and walk away. I already mentioned that this just might be me in my grief but I do feel funny about the fact that I could get her to the vets, still alive and a few minutes after he gave her a shot, she was gone. Is this me, or is it a poor diagnosis by the vet?

growler~GateKeeper
January 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry you lost your best friend :grouphug:

It sounds to me like the vet gave her the euthanasia drug :sad: especially since he left the room right away. I haven't heard of a shot to open the arteries :shrug: usually blood pressure medication is given in pill form to open the blood vessels.

:rip: sweet :angel2::dog:

:grouphug:

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I agree with Growler...sounds like that is what he administered..

May your little one run free to the bridge!!!

Cindy

chico2
January 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I find it strange the vet would lie to you about the shot he administered,it would normally have been your choice whether to euthanize your pup or not:confused:
Try to go and talk to the vet to put your mind at ease.
A stroke can happen at any time,even though she was a healthy pup the day before.
It's a really sad happening and I hope you can get some answers:pray:
Mixed in with our grief,almost all of us suffer from guilt,doubts and"could I have done more"feelings,but I am certain you did everything you could.
:rip:litte pup

Count34
August 25th, 2008, 02:52 AM
It has been very difficult to reply. Even now, months after my original post when all this happened. I still miss her a lot and still haven't forgiven myself for not being there when she really needed me. She was perfect for me and I am still broken hearted. Thanks to those of you who replied. I read your replies many times and appreciate them very much. The part that hurts so much is that I missed signs that something was wrong. She did try to show me that something was wrong but I just didn't pick up on it. I really feel that I let her down. I'm sure if something had been wrong with me, she would have been there to do anything she could have. When it came my turn to do for her I let her down and will probably never forgive myself for that. I know it has been months since you all replied and I am sorry that it took so long for me to follow up on this. It has just been too hard for me to do till now.

chico2
August 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Count34,there is no time-limit on grieving a friend,or feeling guilt,however I am sure your girl want you to be happy,it was not your fault she passed.
She's ok now at the Bridge,she knows you loved her and she only wishes for your happiness and that you'll be able to give your love to another needy pup one day:dog:

hazelrunpack
August 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Count34. :grouphug: Strokes do happen with very little warning--there really was nothing you could have done differently. You did everything you could and you did it out of love for her and that's the important thing. So don't fret about it. She knows she was loved.

:candle:

Did you ever talk to the vet about what happened that day?

growler~GateKeeper
August 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Count34 please don't be too hard on yourself :grouphug: You did the very best for your grrl & she loved you very much.

Animals are so good at hiding illness & pain - that is why it often comes as such a shock to us. :grouphug:

Take care of yourself :goodvibes:

Purpledomino
August 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM
First of all I am very sorry that you lost your beloved girl. :grouphug: I also think that IMO she unfortunately did have a stroke from your explanation, and whatever the vet administered before her passing probably was a last ditch effort to keep her alive. A vet will not euthanize an animal without prior (usually written) consent, and especially with the owner present would be morally and ethically unlikely. I am sure that to do so, they would lose their license to practice, and would have nothing to gain by doing so anyway.

I do think that perhaps this vet understood the grave consequences that your dog presented to him, and possibly could have explained things more to you for a better understanding. I understand your uncertainty in your grief, as I lost a dog in an emergency illness as well. I also questioned the vet attending, and wondered for so long if I could have done more etc. I think that it would have helped me at the time to go and talk to her about it to put everything that happend to rest.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss and please know that you DID do everything possible for your girl, and unfortunately these tragedies do happen to our beloved pets. :candle:

Big Dog Mom
August 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
We always think that their passing is somehow our fault - that we didn't do enough, that we didn't see the signs earlier, that we didn't give them enough while they were healthy. The truth is sometimes you can do everything under the sun, you can see the signs, you can get help from the best of the best, and you can do nothing about any of it. Nothing. That is a hard concept to wrap your brain around in a way that allows you to move forward.

I have a dog who was diagnosed with insulinoma last week. I now know what is going to take her from me, but I just don't know when. I don't know which is worse - knowing what is coming or not knowing what hit you, like you talk about Count34. They both have their downside and they both have their upside. But either way, they are gone, so it's now about putting it all in perspective.

They are wonderful, and they are here to teach us something. There is a lesson in all of this for you, and only you know what it is. My sincerest sympathies on the loss of your beloved dog. Sincerest. Your dog would want you to find a way to move on. That's their lesson - unconditional love and devotion. Rejoice in the beauty of her life, learn something from it, and don't look back, except in love.