Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Able to open my home to Yorkie (or Yorkie mix)

jamiesaari
January 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi,

Just wanted you to know that I would like to rescue a Yorkie of any age and any health condition.

I am in a unique situation in that I can receive unlimited veterinary care and medicine because my business belongs to a barter exchange where businesses trade services with each other (without spending cash). So as an example, I build a website each month for $5,000 each - which gives me $5,000 per month in credit to spend with any other business that belongs to the exchange (there is a vet and a pet store that belong to my the barter exchange).

I do not have hundreds or thousands of dollars to spend on purchasing a Yorkie, but would love to take in rescued Yorkie or one where the previous owner is not looking to make money, but just the peace of mind that their dog is going to an excellent home. Visits and regular updates would be gladly provided.

I have a beautiful 4-year-old Yorkie/Chi and a sweet, gentle 6-year-old daughter named Hannah, who loves Yorkies just as much as I do. I own a house with a fenced-in back yard.

We have a ton of love to give and everything ready to provide a home to a Yorkie that God blesses us with. I can provide references and answer any other questions you may have.

badger
January 5th, 2008, 03:29 AM
There are lots of yorkies and yorkieX dogs looking for homes on www.petfinder.com. As far as I know, bringing a dog over the border only requires a rabies certificate. Depending on the rescue, you would most likely have to satisfy them that you can meet their conditions, which are sometimes stringent for small dogs (no small children, for instance, but your daughter sounds old enough and familiar with the breed).

You could also look on various bulletin boards, such as craig's list and kijiji but beware of scams and millers (people who breed without regard for health or lineage).

jamiesaari
January 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I actually got my darling Tika (a Yorkie/Chi) mix through petfinder.com.

I would like to adopt a second Yorkie mix and am finding I am running into a few obstacles with many of the organizations who rescue Yorkies.

a) Many of them will not adopt to anyone with children. They won't even consider meeting my daughter and giving us a chance.

b) All of the Yorkies or from the U.S. and a lot of them won't consider adopting to Canada. I got very lucky with my girl - Tika.

Other than that I can offer a house with a fenced in yard. I work from home during the day so the dog would rarely be left alone. I can provide unlimited veterinary care etc.

So I'm trying some alternative methods to get the word out that I have a wonderful home to the right Yorkie.

LavenderRott
January 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Keep an eye on local shelters. Often times, dogs there are mislabeled so it helps if you look at the pictures.

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. I hope you find another yorkie or yorkie mix to rescue. :goodvibes: In the meantime, we would love to see pics of Tika. :D

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Where are you located ?

jamiesaari
January 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulty uploading images of Tika from my computer, but you can see images of her on my facebook account by clicking here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=754193&id=561856884

You can see a video of my Tika with my daughter, Hannah.

I also produced a video in honour of my very first Yorkie, Annie. You can see it on You Tube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dVwve-kgpg

StumpsMom
January 7th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Good luck in your search....sounds like some lucky Yorkie will be getting a great forever home :thumbs up