Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saying "hi", and introducing myself

dhall5
January 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Hi.

I am new to this site, and hope that I can both educate myself, and educate others, depending on the issue.

Obviously, animals are an important part of my life. We have 5 furry family members (2 dogs/3 cats), 4 of whom were adopted, and 1 (a dog) who my husband found emaciated at a gas station about 4 years ago.

As of last July, I had the good fortune to be able to quit my full-time career, in order to stay home and foster kittens, as well as volunteer for various animal rescue groups. Currently, I'm on my 3rd group of fosters, newborn kittens found 2 days ago at a construction site near the Strip (I live in Las Vegas). There are 4 little guys, and this is my first time caring for newborns; so far so good. Everyone is eating well, staying warm, and relieving themselves according to what I've read on numerous newborn kitten websites. Thankfully, my husband helps me, because this is no easy feat (but so worth it)!

It will be fun watching everyone develop, from their little eyes opening, to them being able to hear, to seeing their little teeth coming in, and finally to see their drunken gaits turn into sprints across our hardwood floors (and the inevitable sliding and crashing into the wall).

We also feed 2 stray cats (and the odd feral) who live in my neighborhood.

For those who have never fostered, it is the best "job" in the world! But keep in mind that it is NEVER, EVER easy to say goodbye; you just have to tell yourself that their forever homes will be as loving as yours was, and that they'll get more hugs and kisses than you gave them. Because of you, these animals got the chance that those in kill shelters or on the street probably won't.

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Welcome dhall5! Thank you for doing what you do! That is awesome...we need sooo many more people to do this. Good luck with kitties! it must be really cute..mine were rescued but they were already 3 months when I got them...so I missed the teeny weeny stage...Oh well I dont regret it!

Would love to see some pics of your little ones!

Cindy

chico2
January 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
dhall,Welcome to the Forum:cat:
We have many wonderful people here,who foster and are involved with rescue,one more is just great,since there is a never ending need:sad:
I wish you luck with the babies,too bad you could not find the mom too.
Good luck with the babies,I am sure it's not an easy task:pray:
Oh yes,I forgot to mention pics;)we love to see the kittens and your own furries:cat::dog:

Lukka'sma
January 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi dhall5, welcome. Nice to have you with us

amatazes
January 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'm new too. What a wonderful life. I'm sure it's a constant heartache but to work with animals full time is a dream I can't wait to fulfill. It will probably have to wait until I'm a lot older though. I'm 25 and prefer animals to people sometimes.

Nice to meet you. :D

Sylvie
January 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
:thumbs up

Welcome, I am new to this also.

I also foster, but in my case it is German Shepherds. It is very rewarding, but you are right, it is hard to say goodbye. But it is not about us it is about the animals. Our reward is knowing that we have helped an animal to find its happy home.

It is great that you can stay home with your animals, both for you and the animals.

Keep up the good work!!!

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hi dhall5 Welcome to the forum. Pics are expected.. very soon. :)
Is someone checking to see if the momma cat of those new babies you are looking after has shown up? She must be frantic looking for them. :sad:

JanM
January 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Welcome, dhall5 - another animal lover and caregiver is always welcome!

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
They're adorable ! Thank you for fostering , there's so many animals in need .... :sad: I foster myself (mostly golden retrievers but I have one long term foster Great Dane too) and yes , it is very rewarding ! :thumbs up

dhall5
January 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
The photo is not very good, as they're all bunched together, but I'd rather not wake them because it's not chow time yet! So far, I've only named one, "Dion", as he has a tendency to wander...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df24b3127cceb3ae3900db6b00000036100IZt2jhu4csQ

In answer to Chico2: The construction workers saw no sign of the mother. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time they've found abandoned kittens. Nobody knows if the mother is a stray, feral, or owned by an irresponsible individual.

In response to Sylvie: My sister-in-law (a Canadian from Nova Scotia) and my brother are involved with a GS rescue in Austin, Texas. They currently have 3 GS of their own, one of whom is EXTREMELY protective of my 3 month old nephew, and has been since he arrived home from the hospital. It's amazing to see this HUGE, gentle beast sitting so close to a baby.

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Oooppss, sorry Chico..... that was me, not you that asked that particular question. :) That is very strange that mom hasn't shown up unless someone just dumped the kittens knowing someone would find them. :wall:
I have a few kitties myself but the moms stuck around long enough to give them a good start.
The little ones are so cute. Glad they are doing well. :cloud9:

chico2
January 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
14+kittens,I asked too,thinking that maybe the mom was hanging around,but I guess not,they were lucky they were found:cat:

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Well DUH! :o I guess 14+ better go get herself a new pair of glasses. :D
How embarassing. I'm sorry Chico. :sorry:

chico2
January 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Awww,don't be sorry:laughing:

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the forum. :thumbs up People like you are a blessing to have. :angel:

The little kitties are so sweet :cloud9: .....we'd also like to see pics of Annabelle, Joe, Riley, Nash and Potbelly. :D