Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FIV virus

hyllberg
January 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
On 1/2/08, my family and I adopted a 5 month old, precious, and extremely loving orange tabby cat...and he was born with FIV. He has been tested twice: right after birth (July, 07) and on 12/15/07...and both tests came back positive.

Your first thought is probably: why did they adopt a young male cat (kitten, really) who is FIV positive? Well, to be honest, we didn't know anything about FIV except humans can't get it, and they "can" live as long as "healthy" cats, especially if they are indoor cats and don't have contact with other animals (both of which apply to my house...we have no other animals and Duke is an indoor kitty.) Duke's mommy had FIV; but his brother was FIV negative. I have read that positive results in kittens might not mean he has the actual virus.

I took Duke to the vet today (1/4/08,) and he said we will test Duke again in July, 2008. The vet said Duke could live up to 15 years old, but might not...(that narrows Duke's life expectancy down, doesn't it?)

My heart aches when I think about the "what ifs" the future holds. What if Duke gets a cold, and due to his FIV, he can't beat the infection? I guess what I am requesting from all of YOU is more information on this virus. I can't find much on the web that is recent...only articles from 1995-2002 usually.

My wife, two boys (ages 10 and 8), and I decided tonight during dinner time that we were going to keep Duke regardless of his condition and regardless that he probably will not live as long as other cats. We figure if he doesn't last as long as we'd like, at least he'd have a GREAT short life with us. However, as I sit here alone typing this, my heart hurts with the thought of losing Duke sooner than later. We are already attached to the dumb thing! :) (Especially ME!) I swear on everything Holy: Duke is the most loving cat!!! He is ALWAYS in the same room as us, follows us wherever we go, and has his "motor" on 80% of the time! He is unbelievable.

So, any input, advice, thoughts, "words of wisdom," would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Happy New Year too!

phoozles
January 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I don't know much about FIV, but I just wanted to say that it's very admirable of you to take Duke into your home knowing he was infected. :thumbs up As far as I know, they can live healthy lives, and if he is inside and away from other animals, it's rare that he will catch anything.

Welcome to pets.ca - there are lots of informed animal lovers here, and we'd love to see some pictures of Duke!

amatazes
January 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM
you're only causing yourself pain.

I have a cat too. I know the love you feel for them. Don't count out there time, just enjoy it.

chico2
January 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hyllberg,A friend of mine has 5 FIV infected cats..it's long and sad story how he got them,but they were already older,the oldest he has now is 18yrs old.
They've had no serious helthproblems and are just like any other cats.
I know he gives them plain yougurt that they love,probably helping their immune system.
Enjoy your kitten,none of us know how long our animals will live,FIV or not.

phoozles
January 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Great point Chico2 - we have no idea how long we have to love our little furry friends - anything could happen, but that shouldn't stop us from loving them! :cloud9:

hyllberg
January 8th, 2008, 11:29 PM
thanks for the encouragement! we have had Duke a week now, and he is so good! he is a purring machine! so pretty...i mean, handsome. :)

i wish i knew how to post his picture on this thing, but i am as dumb as they come when it comes to computers! i can't believe i found this again so i could read your comments!!! argh! :)

rainbow
January 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Bless you for giving Duke a forever home. :angel: :grouphug:

Kia
January 9th, 2008, 07:46 AM
On 1/2/08, my family and I adopted a 5 month old, precious, and extremely loving orange tabby cat...and he was born with FIV. He has been tested twice: right after birth (July, 07) and on 12/15/07...and both tests came back positive.

Your first thought is probably: why did they adopt a young male cat (kitten, really) who is FIV positive? Well, to be honest, we didn't know anything about FIV except humans can't get it, and they "can" live as long as "healthy" cats, especially if they are indoor cats and don't have contact with other animals (both of which apply to my house...we have no other animals and Duke is an indoor kitty.) Duke's mommy had FIV; but his brother was FIV negative. I have read that positive results in kittens might not mean he has the actual virus.

I took Duke to the vet today (1/4/08,) and he said we will test Duke again in July, 2008. The vet said Duke could live up to 15 years old, but might not...(that narrows Duke's life expectancy down, doesn't it?)

My heart aches when I think about the "what ifs" the future holds. What if Duke gets a cold, and due to his FIV, he can't beat the infection? I guess what I am requesting from all of YOU is more information on this virus. I can't find much on the web that is recent...only articles from 1995-2002 usually.

My wife, two boys (ages 10 and 8), and I decided tonight during dinner time that we were going to keep Duke regardless of his condition and regardless that he probably will not live as long as other cats. We figure if he doesn't last as long as we'd like, at least he'd have a GREAT short life with us. However, as I sit here alone typing this, my heart hurts with the thought of losing Duke sooner than later. We are already attached to the dumb thing! :) (Especially ME!) I swear on everything Holy: Duke is the most loving cat!!! He is ALWAYS in the same room as us, follows us wherever we go, and has his "motor" on 80% of the time! He is unbelievable.

So, any input, advice, thoughts, "words of wisdom," would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Happy New Year too!

First of all I would like to commend you on taking on such a big task, you are what we call A Real Animal Lover:thumbs up I know nothing about FIV but when I read ur post I had to you are awesome for dealing with this. You're kitten is lucky to have you for parents. I hope the best for you and Duke, maybe by some miracle you will have Duke with you for a long time..Good Luck!:angel:

hyllberg
January 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you!