Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Defending the one I love....again....

Rottielover
January 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
So I started talking to this guy...well came to a quick halt when I heard how he felt about rottweilers and pitbulls.
This was the last thing I wrote to him. :mad:

The way I see it, any breed of dog can be wired wrong, just like a human. But look who normally is behind the leash. Most of the time it is stupid people who do not realize dogs are dogs. They think they are people ( baby's) a very bad misinterpretation.
All dogs have teeth. Any dog can bite. You only hear about the guarding breeds because they are what sells a story....

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Your reply was very grown up and polite ! :D

poodletalk
January 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
It's basically have to educate the public, they read what's in the media and they believe it's true.

Invite him over to your place, let him meet Harley. Probably his opinion will change. :shrug:

Rottielover
January 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
It's true... I left it at that, and I hope he does not write back, I do not know how much more polite I can be

Rottielover
January 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Poodletalk. I do not want him over, he is scared of them, I do not think anything does or licks would change his mind. :(

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Invite him and get one of the cats to attack him :laughing: that will keep his mind off Rotts :laughing:

Dracko
January 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM
As an owner of a GSD I haven't had much experience around Rotties or Pitbulls. Actually none around Pitbulls but I have a few friends who own Rotties and I have to say that they are the most lovable dogs I've been around. Much more gentle than my dog and more passive. My one friend's Rottie, Adelard, NEVER ruins his stuffies. He carries them around and cleans them all the time. Always sleeps with one, too. Of course it is all about the person behind the leash, but those who aren't around dogs just don't get that.

Kristin7
January 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Although my dog is not a pittie-type or Rott, I do get annoyed when people make comments like this. What does one say to them? I have a friend/neighbor who hates all mastiff type dogs because one day while he was walking his Golden, a couple mastiffs attacked them (busted through their fence). He makes comments all the time, like 'no one should be allowed to own those dogs', etc. :frustrated: And the thing is, he rehomed an Aussie mix to my nearest neighbor. She is pretty good, but has bitten people and would kill my cats if she got ahold of one. She also hates other dogs. I think one day I'll end up telling him off...

Ford Girl
January 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Me too, I am right there behind you and feel the same way! We have several rotties in our "pack" of friends, and all of them are nicer to other dogs and more laid back then my golden retriever. :shrug:

People just don't get it. :mad:

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I agree with you. People like to believe everything they hear and they don't realize that it's people behind these dogs being violent.

I don't believe any animal is predisposed to be violent. But many of them are going on insticnt, at least wild animals do, and pets learn the behavior they are taught by humans.

When I was in high school, my brother had a pit bull, just before the ban here in Miami. Peachy was an incredibly gentle dog and wouldn't hurt a fly.

I've been to people's homes who have small dogs and have been more wary of the small dog than a big breed.

This guy might have had a bad experience, but he should not assume every dog is like that dog he had teh experience with.

erykah1310
January 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear he was closed minded with dogs RL...

It was a very mature response not to mention that your reply to him was very educated and calm sounding:thumbs up

Considering day in and day out I am confronted with dogs doing what dogs do... guarding their homes and families I have to say not once in the year and a half I have been doing my job have I come across a Rottie or "Pitbull" that didnt eventually accept me and allow me to trek through their yard to read the meter, Sure its a different process than approaching a lab or Golden guarded yard, but with some patience and basic dog knowlege not once have I had to skip a meter due to those breeds.
Some of the smaller "less intimidating" breeds however:wall: they are hard to gain to trust from.
Im not going to spout off my personal list of, for lack of better words, "problem breeds" but there is a definate trend I see daily.

Only thing I can say about this man and you, its a pitty he is missing out on a great gurl due to him not realizing the media brain washing regarding Harleys kind.
Its his loss in the end:sad:

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you all for responding. Everyday I come across idiots who judge my dog because of his looks, but it is just too bad when it hits closer to home.
I do not need someone like that in my life, if he is so easily brainwashed about breeds of dogs, who knows what lays behind closed doors.
I will in time find someone that will accept him, not in a hurry. I have my lap warm and cozy all the time. Hence the other thread. LOL

LL1
January 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think alot of people are afraid of,or do not trust certain breeds,either by their own experiences,or someone else's.Doesn't make them a bad person,you can try and educate them but fears are what they are really.

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
A bad person no, close minded yes. People tend to believe the side of the media.
If the news actually reported bites on labs and goldens ( no offense to those who own ) I can almost guarantee they would not be as popular as they are.
Those bites are very rarely reported. There was a post here last month that I did not reply to....They do not sell papers.
As for this guy, it was because of the media, not anything else.
I believe fear controls logic, if a case happened to you, or close to you, Then there is nothing that can be said and done. But if it was pure media speculation, that is not fear, that is ignorance.

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Rottielover, if it's any consolation, not to many guys will date a woman with 5 cats. So don't feel too bad.

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
LOL, well I have him, and 2 cats. LOL

I just wanted to say that I have no ill hate towards anyone with labs or goldens....Just wanted to make that clear. I am just upset with ignorance

LL1
January 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Maybe I am lucky,I havent met fears based on media.Usually people I meet that fear certain breeds have had encounters with them,and I don't blame them.

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Usually people I meet that fear certain breeds have had encounters with them,and I don't blame them.

But they have to realise that , not all dogs are alike ! Just like for people. When I was a kid , my cocker spaniel was attack by a great dane , right before my eyes. He was rushed to the emergency , had surgery and survived. But I never thought that all great danes were aggressive ! Or I wouldn't have one right now in my house. I think people that think this way are very close minded. :shrug:

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Good for you!

"Love me love my dog" that's my motto. If he doesn't like the breed, well he'll stereotype Harley and then you'll always be worried. Better to just say bye-bye.

LL1
January 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM
But they have to realise that , not all dogs are alike ! Just like for people. When I was a kid , my cocker spaniel was attack by a great dane , right before my eyes. He was rushed to the emergency , had surgery and survived. But I never thought that all great danes were aggressive ! Or I wouldn't have one right now in my house. I think people that think this way are very close minded. :shrug:

I think that is easy to say,but for many not easy to do.Its great you can do that,but not everyone can.I think it is the same for any kind of fear.

Dracko
January 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Rottielover, if it's any consolation, not to many guys will date a woman with 5 cats. So don't feel too bad.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: Yup, I think we have it worse. But considering I don't want to date at this point I use the "I have 5 cats" as a go away line. :D

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
"Love me love my dog" that's my motto

I use to believe in that motto, not anymore.

When I first met hubby, he disliked dogs with a passion!!!

I had three of them at the time, a senior husky mix, black lab and a Irish Wolfhound mix.

I knew he was someone special, so I didn't give up on him.

Slowly, I introduced to the world of dogs. At first he tolorated them.....then he grew to slightly like them...and now he "loves' them. :lovestruck:

He's well known and liked at the animal food stores, everyone in the neighbourhood knows him for walking our dog and playing ball with her.

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I do not expect everyone to love dogs as much as I do, or rottweilers for that matter. But I refuse to date someone that is so close minded, and ignorant.

LL1
January 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh,this is about dating someone.I wouldn't date a lot of folks either.I will leave it at that.

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, some people are so close minded that they will never turn around and like dogs. Also if he's closed minded about Rotty's how's he going to be about other things?

I'm a dog person through and through and never want to be without one. Once I dated this one guy that absolutely hated dogs, he wouldn't even look at Willow, and even though she tried really hard he wouldn't give her any attention. That soon ended. Dogs are a big part of my life with the training and performing and competing, I need/have someone who will be able to deal with that, even if he doesn't come along, he has to be able to tolerate the fact that it's a part of my life.

Poodletalk you are very lucky.

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE] has to be able to tolerate the fact that it's a part of my life.

Of course, that's giving, taking and accepting in a relationship.

Even though Hubby didn't like dogs at first, he knew I loved them and that was that.

If people believe what the media says...the only way to counter act the negative media is too show and explain to people why it's wrong.

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 04:05 PM
And that is what I try to do by having harley pull a toboggan, have him go to training classes, to go to parks. But there is only a certain amount one person can do before they are tired.
Will I stop owning the breed I love because of other peoples feeling on them....NEVER...do I have to put up with stupid people NO.....I do what I can...Hence the reply I made to this one guy...beginning of post. LOL

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Some people are just never willing to change their perspective on things, unfortunately, no matter how hard you try. I know a few and have a few in my own family. *sigh* :wall:

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
"Poodletalk you are very lucky."

Yes I am!

Rottie, I know you wrote something about defending the breed at the begining of the post

People who believe the media about a certain breed..it means they never been around that breed or if they have been they could have had a bad experience. Personally, I don't see it being close minded, they just don't know any better.

In general...not you specifically, if the person is a good human beinging..and there could be something between the two people, but he or she has an issue about a certain breed...I wouldn't write him or her off so fast. I would try to understand what bothers them about the breed and work on those issues. Like I did with hubby, it has been 8 years now.

I would write him in a second, if he wanted me to get rid of my dogs.

Personally, if you do or don't go forward with this guy, it's your decission.

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Speaking for myself , if the guy doesn't like , never mind like , he must loooove dogs , I wouldn't have the time nor patience to explain / teach everything to him about dogs. You don't like them , fine , bye bye dear http://bestsmileys.com/waving/3.gif :D

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hubby just came home for the hockey game, I told him about this thread and said' that we must be the exception to the rule since he hated dogs when we first met and I loved them."

He said, the guy must be misinformed about dogs just like he was. He now looks forward to the walks and he feels less stressed now then he did before. He feels the long walks helps him to relax.

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
He's right. You two are an exception. Love/hate of dogs seems to come between quite a few relationships.

However, on the other side, I'm married to a Muslim and The Prophet Mohamed said that dogs are dirty creatures. But, my husband has now been educated differently and now loves dogs, in fact he asked me that when we get our own house if he can get his own flyball dog.

Some change, some won't.

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Some change, some won't.

Your right Byrd. I feel though, if two people want to make a relationship work, they will find away to make it work.

I think Hubby got a short end of the stick though, I still don't watch or go to hockey games with him.

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
A bad person no, close minded yes. People tend to believe the side of the media.
If the news actually reported bites on labs and goldens ( no offense to those who own ) I can almost guarantee they would not be as popular as they are.
Those bites are very rarely reported. There was a post here last month that I did not reply to....They do not sell papers.
As for this guy, it was because of the media, not anything else.
I believe fear controls logic, if a case happened to you, or close to you, Then there is nothing that can be said and done. But if it was pure media speculation, that is not fear, that is ignorance.

LOL, well I have him, and 2 cats. LOL

I just wanted to say that I have no ill hate towards anyone with labs or goldens....Just wanted to make that clear. I am just upset with ignorance

I agree, and no offense taken...when we go to the park Dazy greets all other dogs by laying down, then she shows her teeth, and then air snaps if they sniff her, people actually laugh at her, cuz she looks so cute with her wrinkled up nose, laying submissive and yet showing her teeth....I don't think it's cute or funny - I am the first to correct her and work on the situation...from the reaction I see is that other owners are not threatened by her, or fear their dog will be hurt, they laugh or comment on how cute she is...but in reality she air snaps at, lundges defencivly and intimidates other dogs...agression is agression no matter the breed.

Flip it around...

Would they find it so cute if it was a "feared" breed? No, I don't think so. Would they tolerate it? Would they laugh? Heck no! We'd be chased from the park in a heart beat...

I, as an owner of a golden with issues is fully aware of the misconception...it's rediculous and ignorant - and this misconception is dangerous for all breeds and owners....

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
screw him. you don't need that. if you can't change his mind now imagine if kids were ever involved. he would make you get rid of your animals. whatever. hold out for a better one.