Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fruit for cats and dogs

TinaMcq
January 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Can you give your dog any kind of fruit ie apples bananas grapes I am hearing yes and no's I don't want to give something to my dog if he's unable to eat it.

Winston
January 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I give my guy lots of fruits and veggies..he loves them...but no grapes, no onions! You can check out the food area here it has lots of great info!

Cindy

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Grapes are no no , onions too, it can be toxic for dogs . But I split a banana between my dogs after their supper and they love it. Other fruits are fine , as long as you don't give him too much. May get explosive diaria. :D

happycats
January 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't think apple seeds are good for dogs, so make sure you remove the seeds.

JanM
January 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
My two Goldens get blueberries, bananas, apples (cored), Bobby likes oranges and grapefruit - Amber doesn't like those ones - they both love their fruits though!

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Oh oh , melons , my guys love them ! (watermelons without the seeds of course)

CearaQC
January 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Belle likes peaches. But I only give her a teeny amount, like a 1 inch cube because was not 100% sure it would be ok.

Kristin7
January 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
My animals like certain fruits as well - especially my cats. They LOVE any kind of melon. My dog loves them too. He also likes bananas. Carrots seem to be a favorite of both my cats and my dog, though the cats only sniff them, too hard to chew raw carrot. One of my cats goes wild for button mushrooms. I only use fruits/veggies as treats, they are not part of their main diets. I have heard grapes are toxic, as are tomatoes and avocados. However, my neighbors dog eats tomatoes from their garden and seems fine. Before I knew avocados were toxic, I used to feed those too and never saw an effect. Still, better to be safe and stay away from them.

Tigergenesis
January 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I give Kira a bit of chopped apple, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries every morning with breakfast (plus plain nonfat yogurt and TO Ocean Blue kibble). For treats she gets raw baby carrots. With dinner she gets a bit of chopped raw veggies with a tad of canned EVO and TO Ocean Blue kibble.

Noles1984
January 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Absolutely give them fruit. The top manufactured foods utilize fruits and vegetables in their formulas. We give our Catahoula blueberries, apples, pears, cantaloupe, bananas. Vegetable-wise she gets brussels sprouts as a treat. They are a great source of antioxidants. She also will eat a little broccoli, kidney beans, and lima beans.

mona_b
January 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
The seedless grapes are fine.It's the seeded ones that are toxic,because of the seeds.

In 24 years of owning GSD's,none have ever had any health issues due to the grapes.My current is 11 and going strong....:D

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
The seedless grapes are fine.It's the seeded ones that are toxic,because of the seeds.

In 24 years of owning GSD's,none have ever had any health issues due to the grapes.My current is 11 and going strong....:D

I dont think that's right. From what I have learnt it's the skin that is toxic, which is also why rasins are toxic. I read a vet report about a 90lbs lab who ate a handfull of raisins and died from toxic shock, they say 8 single rasins can kill a large dog. Just what I learnt and read from good sources.

The fruit itself isn't, but they warn against grapes as a whole because owners don't usually take the time to peel the grapes for thier pets. :rolleyes: Could you imagine? :laughing:

I give Dazy all kinds of frozen and fresh fruits and veggies. She loves oranges, peaches, apples, naners, and all veggies we've tried.

I think basically, if there is contracting info you should side with caution.

mona_b
January 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Nope,it's the seeds.Raisens are the dried up grapes which have the seeds.It's the seeds that are toxic.Just like the apple seed is toxic to dogs.And I think the seeds in tomatoes.

I wouldn't have given it to them if my breeder(who also gave them to her dogs)and my vet said they were toxic.:)..Like I have stated,my 11 year old is happy and healthy and still alive.Mind you I don't give a ton of grapes to him.He gets 4-5 max.:)

want4rain
January 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
a quick google will show more than a few sources that show grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. ive also never eaten a raisin that had a seed in it.

also, dogs can not digest apple seeds unless they are crushed so feeding whole apples should be fine. to err on the side of caution i would not feed a whole apple anyways. tomatoes are not toxic to dogs but the plant is deadly. onions are also very toxic.

-ashley

sugarcatmom
January 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I personally wouldn't be feeding ANY grapes/raisins to dogs: GRAPE AND RAISIN TOXICITY IN DOGS (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:s034sKBvzNAJ:blogs.cce.cornell.edu/community-horticulture/files/2007/10/mcknight-tox_brief-feb_vt_05.pdf+seedless+grapes+toxic+dogs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5)

MECHANISM OF ACTION In cases of grape or raisin toxicosis in dogs, the actual mechanism of action remains unknown. The exact pathophysiology of ARF following the ingestion of grapes or raisins remains undetermined. Theories include metabolic disruption, a nephrotoxic mycotoxin, and an idiosyncratic reaction. Dogs that have developed ARF were exposed in various ways. Ingestions included grapes purchased from a grocery store as well as grapes found in the backyard, grape pressings from wineries, and both the seedless and seeded varieties. Some of the grapes involved were tested for pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxins (all findings were negative). It is unclear if the skin of the grape must be ingested for ARF to occur. Currently, grape-seed extract is not considered a threat; only the grape or raisin itself is considered a danger. So far, dogs are the primary species affected. Whether other species are affected remains unknown.

want4rain
January 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
BTW ARF is acute renal failure... some information on that-

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6605&O=Generic

-ash

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Nope,it's the seeds.Raisens are the dried up grapes which have the seeds.It's the seeds that are toxic.Just like the apple seed is toxic to dogs.And I think the seeds in tomatoes.

I wouldn't have given it to them if my breeder(who also gave them to her dogs)and my vet said they were toxic.:)..Like I have stated,my 11 year old is happy and healthy and still alive.Mind you I don't give a ton of grapes to him.He gets 4-5 max.:)

I don't agree at all - I have never read that the seeds are toxic, sorry, but it's cool that your critters like them and can digest them without issue.

a quick google will show more than a few sources that show grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. ive also never eaten a raisin that had a seed in it.

also, dogs can not digest apple seeds unless they are crushed so feeding whole apples should be fine. to err on the side of caution i would not feed a whole apple anyways. tomatoes are not toxic to dogs but the plant is deadly. onions are also very toxic.

-ashley

Agreed on all of the above. Raisen's don't have seeds? Do they? Hum, I've never seen any seeds in raisens?

I personally wouldn't be feeding ANY grapes/raisins to dogs: GRAPE AND RAISIN TOXICITY IN DOGS (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:s034sKBvzNAJ:blogs.cce.cornell.edu/community-horticulture/files/2007/10/mcknight-tox_brief-feb_vt_05.pdf+seedless+grapes+toxic+dogs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5)

Ya, the vet report I read, from an actual vet, offical report on that lab was aweful. It's long and painful and doesn't usually end well.

There is so much info out there, it's a well known topic. You can find list so stuff that is toxic to animals. I had to pull out all my Rubarb plants when we got Dazy, I had no idea it was toxic, my back yard had tones of it, good thing it was winter when we got her, and I could dig up the roots beofre spring! And my St. Johns wart, and tulip bulbs, and green onions and....LOL!

marko
January 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
We actually did a podcast on this very topic and discussed raisins and grapes in particular. It's definitely best to avoid BOTH grapes and raisins. Recent evidence suggests that the problem is the FLESH of the grape not the seeds. So seeded and seedless grapes are bad. We even talk about how toxic grapes are.

Dr. lee starts talking about grapes and raisins at around 2:30 seconds in the podcast which is only 22:04 minutes long.

There is also a great link in the same post to the ASPCA's list of bad foods where they also list grapes and raisins as foods to avoid.

http://www.pets.ca/blog/?p=50

Hope that helps!

Marko

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Absolutely give them fruit. The top manufactured foods utilize fruits and vegetables in their formulas. We give our Catahoula blueberries, apples, pears, cantaloupe, bananas. Vegetable-wise she gets brussels sprouts as a treat. They are a great source of antioxidants. She also will eat a little broccoli, kidney beans, and lima beans.

Sounds like ours :D affectionately known as "furry garburators" (sp?)

Hm, I'll have to remember that next time Dani looks at me when I eat grapes, she LOVES them!

sizzledog
January 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
My dogs are fruit maniacs... they love bananas, blueberries, apples, mangoes, cantaloupe, etc. Bananas are their favorite though!

Masha
January 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM
My dog loves apples, red peppers and blueberries. My husband always shares his apples with him.

He like carrots too, but more for playing then eating. He runs accros the room chasing the carrot everywhere and kicking it away as soon as he gets to it :)

spottydog
January 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Grapes are a bit iffy, but prior to joining the forum I had given seedless grapes to my dog and he's perfectly fine. I often feed apple pieces too which he really loves (make sure seeds are removed).