Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet License and Registration?

wAggie
June 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I heard dogs (perhaps, cats too) must to be licensed and registered in Pickering annually.

is this true...

and more importantly, (since I live here) is this manditory in Greater Toronto?

and WHY???? :mad:

mona_b
June 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Yes,even in Toronto they MUST be licenced.

Now what do you mean by registration?

Also,if you do not renew the licence,you will be fined.

mona_b
June 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Oh,one more thing,with Casper and Winnie I don't have to renew their licence..When they were adopted,their lincence is for life.... :D

Kona Dawg
June 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM
In Ottawa if your dog is fixed and chipped the license is free for life, $15 if only one or the other are performed, and $30 if neither are.

You should be able to find out if you search out the bylaws for your area.

Luba
June 7th, 2004, 08:51 PM
YES! They have to be licenced annually in Toronto with Toronto Animal Service. Cheaper if they're altered and microchipped. Didn't they explain that to you when you adopted Chocolate from TAS? Honey's should be updated in October of this year (they're good for a year) Choco's obviously needs one too. FYI if you don't licence your dog you can be fined, AND if the dog is picked up because it got out of your property the fine is very high to claim your poocheroo.

You CANNOT licence w/o a rabies certificate.

Read here:

Edited to add this link: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/animal_services/licensing.htm

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_349.pdf

sammiec
June 8th, 2004, 02:00 PM
You may have a license for life if you adopt, but if you move from the area, that license will not be valid.

edited: Sorry, I was incorrect, for the lifetime license your pet MUST be microchipped (in my area at least).

melanie
June 8th, 2004, 05:46 PM
do you guys have to microchip pets by law??? here if it is chipped you dont pay anything and the dogs details are registered nationally in case of problems, they even have you put down 2 emergency contact number if anything was to happen when away. a hassle when you move as it takes a while to get paperwork through. and do you have to register all dogs??

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
The link I gave shows this info:

Unaltered dog or cat $ 50.00 (1 year)

Dog or cat Identified with a microchip $ 25.00 (1 year)
$ 15.00 (1 year) if senior citizen

Spayed or neutered dog or cat $ 15.00 (1 year)
$ 10.00 (1 year) if senior citizen

Dog or cat which is spayed or neutered and identified with a microchip $10.00 (1 year)
Replacement tags $ 3.00

sammiec
June 10th, 2004, 08:10 AM
We don't have any bylaws about microchips for your pets, I think it's a benefit though... you can also provide them with and emergency number if for any reason someone else was watching your dog and the shelter cannot contact you, there is someone near by that they can contact..

When I adpoted my dog they gave her a lifetime license and microchipped her as part of the adoption.

http://www.city.brampton.on.ca/city_dept/works_trans/Animal_Services/Bylaws/bylaws.tml?rnav=249

That has the information regarding the bylaws for pets in my area.
Yeah, I agree that the paper work would be a pain in the rear if you were moving, but it all is... cable, credit cards, phone...just one more thing, but the most important one of all....

cutelittlemako
June 10th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I think microchipping pets should be mandatory for city liscences. It would certainly help the animal shelters if the pet is ever lost. When you adopt an animal, the humane society does it before you leave (in Ottawa anyways). And all breeders i know microchip the pet before you leave, as well. So I would think that only pet store animals or older pets might not be microchipped. I just think its a great practice!

wAggie
June 10th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Speaking of microchipped dogs.... LUBA!

I need some info from u, dear :p

... and as for my q's.... I still didnt get a reply as to WHY they have to be licensed?

(as for the registration part, I guess that does sound redundent)

a couple years back, I was talking w the vet's assistant and she was saying to have it done at ur own discression. It IS manditory (I think she actually did say that) but it's the same as getting ur bike licensed.....

who checks this stuff? and, again, WHY would you be finded for not having ur dog licensed? obviously I would understand they would NOT apprehend/confiscate your dog! wtf?

:mad: :rolleyes:

:confused:

PS, Luba, THANKS for the site!!! I was trying to locate it and show it to my friend regarding the limit of dogs one could have in the city... :o ;)

cutelittlemako
June 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I think it's for in case you lose your dog. It's way easier for them to identify it than if you just have a collar with a name tag. That's why it's free for pets who are neutered and microchipped. It's more of an animal control technique.
I'm sure people who work in rescues think it's a great idea. The more people or organizations that have you pet on file, the better chance you have of it being returned to you in case it's lost.

wAggie
June 10th, 2004, 09:59 AM
:rolleyes:

I'm still not convinced. wtf do i have to get a license for my dogs if they're both microchipped?

and STILL pay $10 a head annually?

What is this license anyways? another tag on the collar? :confused:

Luba
June 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Yes an updated tag

Dogs are often rehomed and annual licences ensures up to date information as current within a year.

What info do you need Aggie waggie dear?

wAggie
June 10th, 2004, 10:25 AM
i need to update Honey's microchipped info, see-wee! :p

and in order for me to do that, I need the *password* to log on :)

Luba
June 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
What password?

I never used the online registration.

I thought you updated this like months ago on line after jerkoff left the gate open and she ran to go shopping at the mall lmaoooo and they called me. Remember? Maybe it's your password from then?

If not call Scarborough animal service and ask them, they're the ones that inputted the information from that end ...so I suppose they have a password?? (assuming)
City of Toronto Animal Services - Scarborough Centre at (416) 338-7539

chico2
June 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Mona,are you telling me you need a license for cats?
I personally think it would be a good idea,but here in Oakville there is no law saying you have to microchip or license your cats.

melanie
June 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
the only real hassle about the paper work changes is the time lapse, if you move your dog will be registered at old adress for a month, which can cause probs, i wish it were immeadiate. i get a bit edgy in that first month,. oh forgot to mention- it is a requirement under the companion animals act (AUS) to have all dogs chipped, except small pups and dogs over 12yrs. when you get the chip you have to pay life time registration on the day, it is $50 after the chip cost to register for lifetime. i didnt want to do it, i was worried about the side effects, some dogs have had probs but the vet reassured me it was unlikely and the council was breathing down my neck about it, they really hassle you, i personally believe a little revenue raising goes on there.
as for cats, some areas you can no longer have cats and dogs, like near a world heratige site or the new housing developments. in some states they have laws that state you must have a cattery and cats not to roam streets, but they will not be enforcing that for a few years, just to let everyone prepare, which i think is very reasonable, you cant expect someone to pay for and build a cattery that fast and cats need to get used to it. this is planned to one day, become standard for all australian cat owners..

Bill & Bob
June 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
I went to a parks board meeting a few months ago when some friends of mine and myself were advocating for improvement of dog parks nearby. I seem to remember them saying that the licensing fees go to animal control. In Van, they have about 10 officers and a budget of somewhere over half a million or something like that. I can't remember exactly what the cost was for the license since it all went through on the credit card at the time. That and every other little damn toy I bought for him that day that he doesn't care about. Very funny.

Anyhoo, I've heard that Vancouver actually has the lowest compliance percentage for all of Canada. I think Calgary actually had the best.

Here in Vancouver, they just announced a while ago that the police are going to start assisting in enforcement of off leash laws and no license violations. I don't think the cops are all that happy about it either. They don't like having to enforce city bylaws like that.

mona_b
June 10th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Yup,that's what I'm saying my dear.... :D

They also have it in Toronto also.Phoenix is licenced also.

There's no law about the microchipping..That's up to the cat owner.All my babies are chipped.This way if by chance they get out,and say the collar comes off,at least the chip will identify who the owner is.... :)

melanie,here there is no law to have your animals chipped....But all of mine have had it done at 8 weeks.Even Yukon and Tron.And they are 8 now.... :D

glasslass
June 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM
I don't think our city requires licensing for the purpose of returning lost dogs to their owners. It's to obtain compliance in owners to vaccinate their dogs against rabies. Must have current rabies vaccination to get licensed. Both Den-Den and Corky are micro-chipped, but not a requirement. I hope it's never needed but I will do all in my power to enable the return of my boys if they should ever get out.

melanie
June 12th, 2004, 05:10 PM
just a rabies Q, we dont have it here so i know jack all. is rabies still around, or do you vaccinate the babies just as a precaution?? do many dogs get it, like do you see homeless dogs with it, or is it not that common?? thanks lovelies

cutelittlemako
June 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM
In Canada, the Rabies shot has to be administered every year, as soon as the puppy is 16 weeks old. I've never seen any pets that have had rabies. It's pretty uncommon, but it will kill the animal that gets it and it can be transfered to humans via saliva or blood. The shot costs about 50$. The reason we have to give it is that some wild animals might have rabies (racoons, foxes, skunks, squerels(?)...) So if your dog (or outside cat) gets in contact with an infected animal, it can (and will) get rabies. It's pretty serious, I would not even consider not having it done.
You're lucky not to have it in Australia, it's a pretty brutal disease!

mona_b
June 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Also,if an adult or child gets bit by a dog,especially a stray,and it's not known if the dog has had a Rabie shot,you must undergo very painfull shots in your tummy..... :(

glasslass
June 12th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Around here, I hear of bats and skunks being found with rabies. It's common enough to be a major concern. I've never heard of a cat or dog with it, but hopefully that's because most owners vaccinate their pets. Puppies get vaccinated at 6 months. That's good for a year. After that, it's every 3 years. I've heard that in the mountains, the squirrels and other small ground animals can also carry Bubonic Plague. It's the ticks and fleas actually that carry it.

mona_b
June 12th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Really?...It's 6 months there?

It's 4 months here.

glasslass
June 12th, 2004, 07:24 PM
:o I may be wrong. It could possibly be 4 months. I just remember it was also when they receive their last puppy shots. More I think about it, it probably was 4 months. I remember waiting on the licensing til after he was neutered which was at 7 months. The vet gave me the paperwork to send in with the rabies vaccination certificate and I had it awhile before I sent it in. Big difference in the license charges when they're neutered! Sorry for the misinformation!

wAggie
June 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM
In Canada, the Rabies shot has to be administered every year,

Correction: the rabies shot is good for three years. You CAN have it administered to your dog(s) every 3 years... I asked many times and vets agree. :)

mona_b
June 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM
It's ok..... :D

I was just wondering... :)

Karin
June 12th, 2004, 08:29 PM
In Canada, the Rabies shot has to be administered every year, as soon as the puppy is 16 weeks old. I've never seen any pets that have had rabies. It's pretty uncommon, but it will kill the animal that gets it and it can be transfered to humans via saliva or blood. The shot costs about 50$. The reason we have to give it is that some wild animals might have rabies (racoons, foxes, skunks, squerels(?)...) So if your dog (or outside cat) gets in contact with an infected animal, it can (and will) get rabies. It's pretty serious, I would not even consider not having it done.
You're lucky not to have it in Australia, it's a pretty brutal disease!

1.) The rabies virus can be transmitted via blood, saliva and mucous membranes. A cornea transplant patient died from the rabies virus within a few months of her transplant in 1980. The 56 year old farmer that died of "natural causes" ..and was the donor of the cornea's and other organ tissue was exumed and post autopsy reports proved he died of rabies.
Rabies is fatal. You do not die of the disease, you die from the symptoms.

2). The vaccine itself cost only $15 max. (Vet's cost's is less than one dollar, $1, you read this right) Because of this nasty virus vaccination clinics are held year round on just about every weekend at a low cost.

Karin
June 12th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Also,if an adult or child gets bit by a dog,especially a stray,and it's not known if the dog has had a Rabie shot,you must undergo very painfull shots in your tummy..... :(

Not true.
The new rabies vaccine has been in place since 1979. The Human Diploid (sp) Cell Vaccine is cultured from human cells. (HDCV)
The old vaccine ( Duck Egg embryo) was cultured from Duck eggs, more people had reactions to the vaccine.
A vaccine cultured from human cells showed less allergic reactions so this has been the common vaccine for the past 25 years. The new vaccine is injected in the arm. Pre-exposure at a two week interval. Post exposure, the injections are given more frequent .
There are no vaccine injections to the stomach area any more.

What does hurt is the cost of the new rabies vax for people. That is a big ouch!

glasslass
June 13th, 2004, 12:12 AM
We have low-cost rabies clinics at various locations in the city also. The local newspapers run an ad that gives dates and locations. I always go to my own vet anyway. It doesn't cost that much and they'll give him a quick check-up and cut his toenails too. :)

cutelittlemako
June 13th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Sorry about giving out bad info, I'm from northern Ontario and for both of my dogs I had before Mako, the two vets I saw (and still my parents pets vets), said that the shot has to be given once a year.

And Mako just got his first Rabies shot (at 16 weeks) and it was 50$, but he also got the distemper, parvo, and others I can't remember. We must have always done it with other things (maybe just an anual exam), because as far as I can remember, when we went for the Rabies shot it always cost 50$. But yeah, I think the shot itself is not very expensive. But I do thinks it's absolutely mandatory to get it done - for all kinds of reasons, the most important being your pets health and for legal reasons if your dog so much as mouths someone who is frightened of dogs.

I'll ask about the three years though, because even here in Ottawa my vet said it was good for one year, and even my neighbour who has a Lab, her brother is a vet and her dogs gets his shot every summer.

Lucky Rescue
June 13th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I just got my dog her second rabies vax, and now it's good for 3 years.

If you look at the requirements for taking a dog over the border, you'll see that the dog must have had a rabies shot within the last 3 years.

Yearly shots are not needed.

Karin
June 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Most Rabies vaccines are good for 3 years. However, here in Florida, a yearly rabies vax is required by law since we have a high incidence of rabies.

glasslass
June 13th, 2004, 03:40 PM
You also can't take a dog into a national park without a current rabies certificate. Plus, last time we went to the lake, they charged an extra $3 for our dog on to the day use permit. :(

wAggie
June 14th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Not true.
The new rabies vaccine has been in place since 1979. The Human Diploid (sp) Cell Vaccine is cultured from human cells. (HDCV)
The old vaccine ( Duck Egg embryo) was cultured from Duck eggs, more people had reactions to the vaccine.
A vaccine cultured from human cells showed less allergic reactions so this has been the common vaccine for the past 25 years. The new vaccine is injected in the arm. Pre-exposure at a two week interval. Post exposure, the injections are given more frequent .
There are no vaccine injections to the stomach area any more.

What does hurt is the cost of the new rabies vax for people. That is a big ouch!

ya, arm.... one time, my none-english-speaking neighbour was giving Chocolate a treat and he eagerly ran towards her (while chained in our oh-too-small yard, which had no side fence...). so she turns around and next thing u know she's demonstrating to me that Chocolate bit her foot!!!!! she's showing me the "mark" WHICH IS A SCRATCH FROM ONE NAIL, nothing more! omg, craazy!

anyhow, she goes to ER, yes, and then demonstrates for me that she got a shot in the arm and it hurt. :rolleyes:

her english-speaking son came home later that day and reexplained what she was telling me. by then i already had Chocolate Rabies vac certificate out (only 3 months old).... gawwwd, the nerve of some people!!

I was there, I SAW what happened, well, more of what didn't happen! ya, Choco's a big dog, he may look intimidating ( :rolleyes: only to those who cant read an animals body language).... *sigh* i'm gonna end here, this is hopeless.