Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 4 legged crew

2survivors
January 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Harry and Lucy are brother and sister from the same litter. They are now 2 1/2 years old and happy to say Harry is in remission with a high-grade sarcoma. He had 15 radiation treatments and chemotherapy and is feeling tip-top. (We never told him he's sick!)

Smudge is my 14 year old calico who was my daughter's 7th birthday present. Due to four months of syringe feedings and round the clock "nursing" care by my daughter and me, she has survived a very serious acute renal failure and all of it's "byproducts"!

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
What beautiful fuzzbutts you have. :lovestruck: I hope Harry stays in remission. :grouphug: :fingerscr He seems so young to have cancer.....what is his prognosis? :goodvibes:

2survivors
January 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM
rainbow,
Harry actually has already beaten his odds by living until Christmas! It started as a small little stiff "stick-like" bump at the back of his head but despite two surgeries, he still had malignant cells within the margins---so we decided to be aggressive and treat him and who know now??? He goes back to his oncologist Jan 16 so I'll give you an update. Every day with him is precious!!! Lucy had two lumps come up this summer but thankfully they were just hair follicle tumors--benign!!! It was during Harry's treatment the my kitties got sick with ARF so I had my hands full!:wall:

But I have learned from 2007 to never take these guys for granted !!!

2survivors
January 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM
rainbow---I tried to edit my post but I'm new and not good at it!!!:shrug:

One thing I was told by his oncologist is that young dogs tend to have a more aggressive cancer and she said that is not completely understood. We had lost our Barkley who was 13 to hemangiosarcoma July 2005 so we were quite taken aback with Harry's diagnosis Thanksgiving week 2006! But the only part of this that has made him feel lousy is our treating him! Except for some asymmetry with his face and head, and some bald spots, you'd never know by looking at him!:thumbs up

chico2
January 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
2Survivors,I am so sorry to read about Harry,both him and Lucy are 2 beautiful Goldens:lovestruck:
You must have had a tough year,hopefully Harry will stay in remission for a long time,but like you said,every day is precious:cat:
We have Frenchy who's Golden,Sam,also has cancer,but he's considerably older,not that it makes it any easier.
Your Calico,Smudge is adorable and I am so pleased to hear about a kitty who survived acute renal failure,hope she continues to do well.:pray:

phoozles
January 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Your furry friends are beautiful! :cloud9:
You've definitely had a rough go of it, healthwise, with your pets, but you seem to have a great attitude! :thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Oh my, so cute, and goldens too!!! :lovestruck: I like the bride and groom pic! :cloud9:

:grouphug: for you and Harry! And the kitty of course!

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm so sorry for Harry's and Smudge's illnesses, but I'm very glad they are doing well. I will send positive thoughts for their continued well being.

You have a beautiful little fur family:cloud9:

Lukka'sma
January 4th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I sure hope that Harry remains in remission for a long long time. Him and his sister Lucy are two good looking puppers.
Smudge, bless her little kitty heart.

krdahmer
January 5th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm so sorry for Harry's and Smudge's illnesses, but I'm very glad they are doing well. I will send positive thoughts for their continued well being.

You have a beautiful little fur family:cloud9:

I sure hope that Harry remains in remission for a long long time. Him and his sister Lucy are two good looking puppers.
Smudge, bless her little kitty heart.

I second those... and send my :goodvibes: and :pray: also for continuing health!

2survivors
January 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I do feel funny not posting Jessica's pix here with my other guys but unfortunately we lost her on Dec 26th so I posted her pix at the Rainbow Bridge here--just so you all know there were four 4-leggers here! (and my daughter does have 2 "fancy rats" Heroin Bob and Anthrax --but due to my rodent fear, I do not have any pix of them!! They climb all over her and sleep in her beautiful red curly hair----bleek!:eek:

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 05:23 PM
We have Frenchy who's Golden,Sam,also has cancer,but he's considerably older,not that it makes it any easier.

That's me :p it seem so many goldens gets the big C :sad: I lost my Daisy (11 yr old) to it last year , and now Sam (10 yr old) has almost the same thing. I cherish every moment with him. He has Fibrosarcoma , would need chemio and radio therapy (not available in Quebec) and then I would need to find a doggy surgeon who would accept to try and take out the lump , it's right under his anus and is a very delicate operation. He may not live long enough for this and I would not have him put through this. Sorry , I'm rambling on. :o

Harry and Lucy are sooo cute ! :lovestruck: They look so well behave sitting one beside the other :cloud9: I hope Harry beats this thing in the butt ! :fingerscr :goodvibes: Rainbow put a link in Sam's thread , about food for dogs with cancer. I don't follow it 100% but almost. You can pm me if you're interested about the list. Please keep us posted on Harry's recovery.

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I do feel funny not posting Jessica's pix here with my other guys but unfortunately we lost her on Dec 26th so I posted her pix at the Rainbow Bridge here--just so you all know there were four 4-leggers here!

Jessica was a beautiful girl and I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :candle: Was the renal failure for her and Smudge the result of the food in the last recall? :sad: :grouphug:

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
(and my daughter does have 2 "fancy rats" Heroin Bob and Anthrax --but due to my rodent fear, I do not have any pix of them!! They climb all over her and sleep in her beautiful red curly hair----bleek!:eek:

:laughing: Heroin Bob and Anthrax .....cute names. :D You could ask your daughter to take the pics. :o

They climb all over her and sleep in her beautiful red curly hair----bleek! :eek:

Double bleek!!! :eek: :eek:

JanM
January 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Beautiful fur family you have! But then, aren't all Goldens beautiful :D I am so sorry to hear about the big C though - :pray: for Harry's continued health!

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm with Ford Girl--I like the bride and groom pic! :cloud9:

:fingerscr that Harry has kicked this and will be with you a very long time! You certainly are overdue for some good luck after all you've been through with Jessica and Smudge! :grouphug:

I'll bet your daughter's head never gets cold while she's sleeping. :laughing: Rats, eh? Well, at least she'll be well-protected--no one wants to mess with a woman who has rodents in her hair! :o

growler~GateKeeper
January 5th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Very purrty fur family you have there :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: for Harry I hope he has kicked it for good this time
:goodvibes: for Smudge I sure hope she is past all the kidney issues
:fingerscr for Lucy to stay healthy

:sad: I'm sorry you lost purrty Jessica :grouphug:

My mum's neighbour has a long haired calico named Smudge :D

What a great mum you are for letting your daughter have rats w/you fear of rodents :thumbs up

2survivors
January 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Jessica was a beautiful girl and I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug: :candle: Was the renal failure for her and Smudge the result of the food in the last recall? :sad: :grouphug:

Yes ---:angel2:Jessica first was sick on Feb 17 amd then Smudge on March 11. Smudge had a normal checkup on Feb 6 with a normal urinalysis so when she presented with a creatinine of 12.5 and BUN not able to be measured by my vet's in-house testing---he knew it probably was some kind of poison. We used to call Jessica "sassycat" as she was so finicky with what she ate and hardly ate much at all---which is why I think she was less affected---her creatine was only 4.9 (still bad but compared to Smudge I mean). I even tried to force feed Jess the bad food as my vet had told me kitties have to eat!!! She flatly refused it but you know where it went---to Smudge and then to Harry and Lucy as Smudge also was eating less. My cats were featured in a story on line and if anybody wants to read it PM me as I don't want to break any rules by putting a link here.:shrug:

I owe my cats beating this poisoning to my wonderful vet as he thought Jess got sick "really fast" and even though cats get kidney issues, he wanted to give her a chance. She started getting better "too quick" from a chronic condition he said----and he also said he fought for Smudge because Jess got better---he said if he had seen Smudge first, he probably would have recomend euthanizing her as she had about 2% kidney function he thought!

So here's to a better 2008! Thanks for all your compliments on my furkids!!!

growler~GateKeeper
January 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
My grrl Duffy was also affected by the food recall - though not as badly as yours :grouphug: She is recovering w/the help of a wonderful Homeopathic vet. Duffy's thread is here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017) if you'd like to read, there are alot of links to great CRF information sites & tips I have found to work.

rainbow
January 7th, 2008, 02:14 AM
My cats were featured in a story on line

I remember reading it. I think I saw it on the Pet Connection website or maybe it was Itchmo. You got a real run around from Menu Foods and the FDA. Wasn't your story also on CNN or one of the other networks as well?

homer
January 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Wow your pets are simply adorable:thumbs up

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
wow. chemo for dogs??? I didn't know such things existed. you know what, if i can take out a loan for a car and a house i can get one for an animal. you go:thumbs up

2survivors
January 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I remember reading it. I think I saw it on the Pet Connection website or maybe it was Itchmo. You got a real run around from Menu Foods and the FDA. Wasn't your story also on CNN or one of the other networks as well?

Itchmo picked up the story from consumeraffairs.com and infact the reporter just covered angel Jessica's passing and has a synopsis of her first 3 stories of my kitties. I would post the link here but since I still don't know if I should I won't---don't need to get yelled at!!!:eek: I don't think CNN picked up the story ??

:shrug:

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Very purrty fur family you have there :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: for Harry I hope he has kicked it for good this time
:goodvibes: for Smudge I sure hope she is past all the kidney issues
:fingerscr for Lucy to stay healthy

:sad: I'm sorry you lost purrty Jessica :grouphug:

What a great mum you are for letting your daughter have rats w/you fear of rodents :thumbs up

I second all that!

Don't think you'll get yelled at, after all, you're not selling anything, right?

2survivors
January 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I second all that!

Don't think you'll get yelled at, after all, you're not selling anything, right?

Oh no----I'm not selling anything!:laughing:

I didn't know if I could link another website here that's all but I think I'll do it here---and if I shouldn't have then I'll know----:shrug:

This reporter contacted me after my food test in October----I consented as I thought giving a "actual fur face" as well as people actually seeing the damage done to our pets by the recall fiasco would keep vigilance in our minds! Having my cats' struggles covered I hoped would bring more attention to changing whatever we have to do so this can't happen again... I was very frustrated from March 16 as you will see. I'll just give you the link from the most recent story. (of course I was not compensated for any of these---and am not promoting anything but the coverage!)

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/01/pet_food_recalls87.html

phoozles
January 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Just read your story - sounds like you definitely went through the runaround - :frustrated: Companies never seem to want to take responsibilities, do they?

Sorry to hear about Jessica :candle:, but glad to hear that Smudge is on the mend!