Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who are you and where did you put my food-stealing dog???

bendyfoot
January 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
So I was snacking on some pizza last night, got distacted and left about 1/4 of a piece sitting at knee-level on the coffee table. I disappeared for about 20 minutes then remembered the pizza, then figured it would be long gone thanks to the counter shark known as Gracie (this one was a particularly easy target). I mean, Gracie has wolfed down an entire bag of hotdog buns in the 20 seconds it takes me to walk from the kitchen to the front porch and back. Nothing is safe in her presence.

But to my great surprise, there was Gracie lying on the floor about 2 feet away from the still intact pizza crust, keeping a very close eye on it. I was so impressed at her restraint that I gave it to her as a treat after removing her from the situation and making her sit. The delight and the chop-licking afterwards told me that she thought her patience paid off.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yay for Gracie! LOL, I can't leave the room without taking my food or what I'm drinking me. If it's not Vlad wanting to get to it, it's one of the others.

Have you done some training with Gracie or did she just figure she'd be a good girl and see what it would get her?

JanM
January 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
WOW - that is impressive!

StumpsMom
January 5th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Good girl Gracie!!

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Good girl Gracie ! :thumbs up

Hogansma
January 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Good girl Gracie!!!!

I have a good one to tell you about my girl, Molly, who has passed away. My son was getting ready for work and boiling 4 weiners to make hotdogs to take for lunch. He went to put them together and asked me if I took them out of the water. I said, no, and he knows I don't really like them anyway so we checked the water that was still boiling. There were bits of weiner grease floating on the top and a few Molly hairs. She had plucked them out of the boiling water with her teeth. Ouch!!! :eek: Sure enough, we checked her and she had weiner breath but otherwise just fine!!!

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM
:thumbs up Gracie, smart move!

And Molly ... wow, how did she not burn herself!? Well done, even if bad :D

Byrd
January 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm lucky, I just say "leave it!" and nothing gets touched.

Good for Gracie deciding to make the right choice. :thumbs up

:eek: Molly, that must have been quite the task!

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hogansma, that is the CRAZIEST THING I have ever heard!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!

I would have lost my mind!

bendyfoot
January 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
We try very hard to train her for this stuff, ancientgirl, but she is incredibly food-driven (obsessed?) I think what's helped is having Jaida in the house...Jaida's a slow eater, and often leaves half her food then comes back to it 10 minutes later...it's provided many opportunities for us to practice "leave it" with Gracie, who just DIES every time there's food left in her sister's bowl...she frets and obsesses over it until it finally gets eaten or I put it away. We're lucky though, that Gracie has no food agression...she used to when we first got her, but now anyone can take food away from her or put their hands in her bowl when she's eating and she's fine. That was a hard one to overcome...

H.P.
January 7th, 2008, 07:57 PM
GO GRACIE!! :highfive: