- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Need Help!

January 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM

I'm tired of being gouged by some of the vets here in Mississauga, Ont

I went and rescued a Mastiff that was going to be put down because his owner couldn't afford to have his eyes fixed. As some of you have heard, my Mastif has Cherry Eye which is a prolapse of the 3rd eyelid.

I have phoned around and I'm getting rates of $1,200 to $2,500. I've read in forums that this is a cosmetic procedure and it only takes 20-30 min to do.
Even in Nove Scotia I read in a forum it cost this woman $300

To avoid having him put down I decided to take this dog and on top of that he wanted $250. I gave the money to him as this dog needed to fattened up as he was about 15 lbs underweight.

Yes, I'm a sucker but a caring one. You should of seen my wifes reaction when I came home with a dog that has this Cherry Eye. It does look bad as it looks like 2 pieces of chewing gum sticking out of each eye. I suggested she look past this thing. Now there best of friends! LOL

Does anyone know a vet that would help out a rescue dog??? I'm not looking for free help. Just want to find a vet that I don't need to mortgage my house.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have no problem travelling either as I know some vets are much cheaper out of town.


January 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
He is how old?? can you wait and have it done at the same time a the nutering?? did you ask how much it would be if it was done then??

Did you call guelph univertity?? what did they say??

do you have to get both done at the same time?? if you do one eye then later the other eye would it still cost you over 1,000.00$??

January 4th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Even if it is cosmetic, $300 sounds low to me. This is intricate surgery next to a major organ and vets study almost as long as our own doctors. That being said, some vets do gouge, because they can, and we want our animals to be well. I hope you can find someone skilled at un-inflated prices, but even then, brace yourself.

January 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
You may want to try a more rural vet, in a smaller town, or farming community, many of them tend to sharge less then the big city vets.

You may also want to contact HS or SPCA in your area, and explain your situation, they may be able to refer you to one of their vet, or at the very least a cheaper vet.

Good luck

January 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Check your private messages.

January 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Call your local veterinary teaching hospital, they may be able to help you. Good luck.

January 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Call your local veterinary teaching hospital, they may be able to help you. Good luck.

I did try the Guelph University and they won't even see you without a referral.

satchelp thanks for the pm I'll give them a try tomorrow morning.

Thanks again to all that have been generous with their wisdom with this.


Bobsuruncle:thumbs up

January 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Is there a possibility that your vet would give you a referral for Guelph? Just a thought.

January 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Bless you for saving that baby! I don't know of any vets in your area...have you tried any of the Mastiff boards online to try and find one? What's your boy's name?

*edited* keep us posted about your boy ;)