Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is grunting normal?

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
So, I've noticed in the last few days that Czarina kind of grunts. At least, that's the only way I can explain it. I notice this while she eats, and sometimes while she's walking around, sniffing around.

I've never heard any of my other's doing that and I wondered if this is something any of you ever heard your cats or any cat do.

I'm not too worried since I recently got a clean bill of health for her, and I've also got an appointment for her, Vlad and Oksana for a Wellness check. This is a program my vet has where they perform all sorts of tests twice a year, that range from diabetes to cancer screening. I'm taking Maks and Kiska for the same test in a couple of months too.

But I was just curious to know if any of you have experienced this.

14+kitties
January 4th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hi ancient. Does it sound like she has something caught in her throat? Or is it more of a grunt, yeah, ok, this is good? :laughing: She could be just "talking " to herself. I had one a long time ago who did that. She was funny to listen to. She was also a growler. Loud! Could be this is Czarina's way of communicating.
She had a full screening at the vets and nothing was found. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Hi ancient. Does it sound like she has something caught in her throat? Or is it more of a grunt, yeah, ok, this is good? :laughing: She could be just "talking " to herself. I had one a long time ago who did that. She was funny to listen to. She was also a growler. Loud! Could be this is Czarina's way of communicating.
She had a full screening at the vets and nothing was found. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

No, doesn't sound like anything is stuck in her throat. LOL, she sounds like a little piggy. And I've found she growls too. She was playing with a catnip squirrel and she was growling, so she might have some different communication skills.

Thanks for answering:D

14+kitties
January 4th, 2008, 06:37 PM
That's great that she's playing!! It sounds like she is starting to relax and settle in. What great news that is!
And yep, that's what mine did too. Funny stuff.

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well I had wondered since she had been outside for so long, did she know how to play. But she plays with the little balls and other stuff laying around the floor here :laughing:

So I know that she at least knows how to play. She's pretty much kept to the downstairs. The little ones are staying away from her. They are being cautious especially when she hisses.

I'm torn between putting her back in her screened in area for the night or allowing her to roam around during the night tonight. I was thinking about maybe doing it tomorrow though, after she's spent an entire day out in the open.

I think Kiska and Maks will stay upstairs with me, and I think Vlad and Oksana will allow her to continue to have her space.

I'm feeling that the more I keep her confined the harder it will be to get her used to the others. I'm not sure what to do.

Winston
January 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi ancientgirl..the snorting I think is normal....actually both of mine do that if they are smelling something..its a weird sound..not a growl but almost like a snort?

Why dont you try keeping all 4 upstairs with you for the night and let her roam around downstairs? Do you have a door you can close for the night on your bedroom? and I would put a blankie across the floor so their is no paw playing while you sleep!! in the morning you can supervise them when they exit the bedroom to ensure no confrontations with Czarina..and I think they would be okay for the night with out their litter and stuff..

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hi ancientgirl..the snorting I think is normal....actually both of mine do that if they are smelling something..its a weird sound..not a growl but almost like a snort?

Why dont you try keeping all 4 upstairs with you for the night and let her roam around downstairs? Do you have a door you can close for the night on your bedroom? and I would put a blankie across the floor so their is no paw playing while you sleep!! in the morning you can supervise them when they exit the bedroom to ensure no confrontations with Czarina..and I think they would be okay for the night with out their litter and stuff..

Cindy

Yes, she's kind of sniffing and the snorting and her abdomen sort of puffs in and out.

Unfortunately, that's one of the things I don't like about my place. I'm in a loft, and when you go upstairs, you are in my bedroom. There's no door. What I think I'll do is tomorrow, I'll see if I can get the screen up here and maneuver it so that at least it blocks the stairs. I've got two big litter boxes now, one down with her in the half bath and one up here in my bathroom, plus another one in a litter/furniture type thing.

I'm letting her roam around all day tomorrow, so I'm hoping that by night time I can let her roam freely. I can see how it goes then. I think I'd feel better at least knowing they've spend an entire day in the same room than just a few hours.

I'm also going to change her feeding station. I'm putting her dishes in the kitchen where the others are. Maybe eating in the same place as the others will also help her feel more comfortable.

I've got to try and make some progress this weekend. I can't keep her separated forever. I want to hopefully get to the point where I'll feel comfortable letting them all be free and not worry about anybody gettingn hurt.

Winston
January 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Sounds good but my only caution would be the feeding issue...Put them in the same room...same time...but let them keep their distance...because if she is still not 100% comfy that could cause her some uneasiness...which could get everyone upset...and even though she knows your feeding her it is still very new and not a habit to her yet and instinctivly she probably used to fend for herself..hopefully I am making sense! its been a long few days..

Cindy
:thumbs up

14+kitties
January 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with Cindy, ancient. Let her eat in the same room but not too close to where the others are. That way she will start to feel like she belongs and is not just visiting. It sure sounds like she is making great strides. :thumbs up
How is the little miss doing? She should be almost healed?

krdahmer
January 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Grunting thats a new one... none of mine do that, but have plenty of other unique little noises...it's prob just one of her communications she's picked up along the way.

Glad to hear that she plays thats a great sign I think and may help her relax more. Good luck tomorrow! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Winston that makes sense. I moved her bowl and water right in front of the stove. So she's still in the kitchen, but she's far enough away from the others to where she won't think anybody is getting at her food.

14+kitties, Tiny Miss is going very well. She's a little more cautious around Czarina, so at least I know she'll stay away from her for a while.

I'm thinking maybe the grunting is like you said krdahmer, she had to develop some ways to communicate.

I got up to feed them all at about 6:30am. I opened the screen door and Czarina has been roaming around since them. She's been playing with some stuff and hiding a bit. Right now she's on the rug in front of me and she just found the scratching pad.

I'll leave her out the rest of the day, and overnight. Hopefully that will make her realize she's not being separated and make her feel more part of the group.

She's looking out the window right now. I'm wondering what she must be thinking. I wish I could get inside her head and know how she's feeling.

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
So was she with all of the others when she was lying on the carpet or sitting in the window? were they all in the room or general area?

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Just in the same general area. She's sleeping in a basket right now that I have some stuffed toys in. But at least they are all in the same area.

When she hisses I say a sharp "No" and tell her that there's no hissing here and everyone just wants to be her friend, and that she's safe here.

Earlier Vlad was inside her pyramid, and Maks was just inside it too. I think that's good because they are getting their scent in there.

Between today and tomorrow, I hope to have made some decent strides. I'm really hoping to be able to allow her to roam freely with then during the week, so this weekend is important.

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
No I think you have made a huge progress already! that is great that she is coming out of the pyramid more especially to sit in the window and stuff...lets just not get our hopes up too much because we need to treat this one a little more delicate than the others...:laughing: no really it sounds like your on your way to a happy home but as you probably know it takes awhile to gain trust and she has to learn it and so do you! especially leaving her to roam around...

Its funny how anxious we get in trying to make it work...but like I said before I feel really good that Czarina will come around...but its the time it takes to get there. My 2 were abused and my little boy Bomber they figure took the most abuse. (they were apparently being fed to a boa constricter and my 2 were the only 2 left in the litter when rescued.) It was by a man for sure..but it took 8 months for him to be comfy in our home and not feel threatened..he is my little scaredy cat..but when my other half would come home and Bomber would see him he would pee on the floor, run and hide in the litter box, under the bed you name it....we had a tremedous bond but he couldnt deal with men. We were ready to try and find him a new home but I could not seperate him from his sister so I was torn and heart broken as it had caused much stress....and funny thing was one day he rolled over and exposed his belly to my hubby for a rub and he has been a totally changed cat ever since....(he can still just 4 feet off the ground if you scare him though!) My point though was I wanted it to change so bad it drove me crazy! an all he really needed was the time?? on his terms?? but it worked! Oh and I am not saying yours will take 8 months but the point is we just need to give them what they need and it usually works itself out..

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
That's absolutely appalling about your poor kitties. What a sick individual. I'm so glad you got Bomber and his sister out of there.

I know she needs lots of time. I wanted to get her comfortable this weekend because I just don't want to keep segregating her. I think they will all get used to each other faster if they see her as part of the group and not someone set apart from them all.

I see a little bit of improvement daily. Little by little she's coming out of her shell.

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM
:thumbs up thats what I think too! slowly but surely!

Cindy

onster
January 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
That's great to hear ancientgirl :thumbs up Is kiska all healed from her surgery now?

Winston...I just can't believe 'people' sometimes :yell:. Im glad you rescued your 2.

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Onster, Kiska is pretty much healed. But Czarina just went after Maks. He was just walking in front of her, and she swatted at him. He backed away and she went after him. She scratched his little rump pretty good. Had I not hit her with a stream of water she would have kept after him.

I believe this was the same situation as with Kiska. I'd wanted to allow her to roam freely at night, but I'm not sure about that right now.

Other than Kiska's attack, she'd just hissed at the others when they got near, but I just witnessed an unprovoked attack.

I feel like we had taken a step forward, and now this incident takes us two steps back. :sad:

Winston
January 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ancientgirl I know it seems so hard right now but you accomplished something today with Vlad....you caught her in the act and she knows that now! Hitting her with the water right on que is important..she will learn from it...2 steps forward 1 step back but it will be okay in the long run....

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Ancientgirl I know it seems so hard right now but you accomplished something today with Vlad....you caught her in the act and she knows that now! Hitting her with the water right on que is important..she will learn from it...2 steps forward 1 step back but it will be okay in the long run....

Cindy

It was little Maks she had the issue with, but I'm glad I was there in time with the water.

I woke up today feeling really positive, but that really brought me down.

I wish I could wake up tomorrow and have a house full of happy kitties. But I know that's not happening.

I'm debating now on whether I should keep her out tonight.

Winston
January 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Good Morning! How did last night go?

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Last night she went into her little area on her own actually. I took that as a sign she wasn't ready to be wandering around at night. As soon as she went in the others came downstairs. They'd been spending most of the evening upstairs.

I think they're not sure whether to hang out around her or not. I guess they're just not used to being hissed at so much.

They approach her cautiously. Right now Kiska is sitting about 3 feet away from her, watching her, Vlad came to sit next to her, he's watching Czarina I think to make sure she doesn't do anything to Tiny Miss. Czarina is sitting near the sliding doors. Maks is approaching her from behind. He wants to lay in his little round kitty condo but he's a little wary of her since she just hissed at him.

He's managed to get in there and he's looking at her and trying to touch her but he's thinking better of it.

*sigh* she just went after him again rather nastily. I squirted and she's in a corner now growling.

I'd hoped to make enough progress this weekend to be able to leave her out of her enclosure while I'm at work but I still don't trust her enough not to hurt the little ones.

14+kitties
January 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hang in there. It is getting better. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm hanging, hanging by a thread, but hanging.:laughing:

14+kitties
January 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
She is adjusting. Who's to say how long she lived outside and was used to fighting for her food and maybe her bed as well. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. ;) You are doing a fantastic job too.
If it takes weeks or even a few months to get to the point where she and you feel comfortable without barriers then so be it. But I just have a good feeling about all of this. And Fabulous Five just looks so right! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
She is adjusting. Who's to say how long she lived outside and was used to fighting for her food and maybe her bed as well. It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it. ;) You are doing a fantastic job too.
If it takes weeks or even a few months to get to the point where she and you feel comfortable without barriers then so be it. But I just have a good feeling about all of this. And Fabulous Five just looks so right! :thumbs up

There are moments when I think, okay she's got to go. She's not getting along with my guys, and she's not happy here.

But then there are times like last night, when I was sitting on the floor and she sat on my lap and started purring. She's got, as I feel all of my gang do, such a distinctive face. She looks up at me and closes her eyes as I rub her chin and I pray that she'll adjust and get along with everyone.

I wish I could take a month off, just to be here and watch them all and allow her to roam freely together. For now, I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. It's all I can do at this point. Maybe one day I'll get home, let her loose and she'll go strait to them and want to play.:pray:

Winston
January 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Thats the attitude you need Ancientgirl! kind of like it doesnt matter how long it takes but it will work attitude! I think it is going to come too! but I think a week or two is just not enough..you may be looking at a longer duration here so try to be upbeat and just keep protecting the little ones! Cats are pretty tough so your little ones can handle it I am sure..as long as they are safe all will be okay...

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence from all of you.

I just hope that the time it takes isn't hampered by my having to keep her separated during the day. I have her spot secured by putting the old microwave in front of it, but maybe I need to figure something else out. Something that will keep her secure but not block her from the others view or keep her from seeing them.

I swear these kitties are going to drive me nuts! But I love them so much!:lovestruck:

I think I've got it secure. I placed a frame hanging hook on the wall where the screen goes against. I can secure it with a piece of fabric tied to it. If it keeps her in there tonight, then I no longer have to use the microwave which blocks their view. They will be able to see each other and keep safe with the screen between them. Hopefully this will allow her to feel more comfortable with the others and will allow some touching between them with nobody getting hurt.

Winston
January 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Thats sounds good! Just make sure it is secure for when you are at work! I wish I could take a month off from work to be with my kitties! that would be great! After going back to work this week I wish I had the next month off now!!!!

I forgot to ask does it appear she is okay with the litter box? If so you have made big strides..I know alot of people that have brought kitties in and they are used to going when and where they want...so good for pretty Czarina....You dont really need our vote of confidence but isnt it great to be able to chat with so many peole who have a true passion and ALOT of knowledge! I think that is great! there are so many times people ask questions that I have no clue about and I feel bad but then someone ALWAYS comes along!

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Thats sounds good! Just make sure it is secure for when you are at work! I wish I could take a month off from work to be with my kitties! that would be great! After going back to work this week I wish I had the next month off now!!!!

I forgot to ask does it appear she is okay with the litter box? If so you have made big strides..I know alot of people that have brought kitties in and they are used to going when and where they want...so good for pretty Czarina....You dont really need our vote of confidence but isnt it great to be able to chat with so many peole who have a true passion and ALOT of knowledge! I think that is great! there are so many times people ask questions that I have no clue about and I feel bad but then someone ALWAYS comes along!

It feels very good to come to a place where you know there are people who have had the same experiences. I couldn't get that anyplace else and I'm incredibly thankful every day I found this place.

Czarina uses the litter box, but she doesn't bury her poop. I don't usually see her while she's using it, so I can't assist her and show her how to bury it.

I'm hoping that once she does become a little more comfortable with the others she can learn from them. Now and then Kiska forgets to bury her poop, and if Vlad or Oksana are in there at the time they go into the litter box and bury it themselves.

I've also noticed she uses the scratching box I have, so that in itself is good too!

She just passed by her pyramid and noticed Maks sleeping inside of it. She hissed, and I said "no" then she hissed again and I said "no" and she went back to the window. I don't think she's noticed Kiska is sleeping on the kitty apartment.

14+kitties
January 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yep, she is definetely getting settled in! How wonderful for you and for her!!!!
And now I am going to go feed, play with, and hug my bunch. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
She seems more settled. At least she's a little more comfortable walking around. I'm thinking maybe curiosity will get to her and at some point she will want to approach one of the gang. That will be a day of celebration.

SARAH
January 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Just got back from weekend away ...

Such a nice thread, so positive, in spite of the one Maks-attack. Just that she listens to your "no" when she hisses, even if you have to repeat it, it so good!

Just to jack this thread for a sec ... Spoutnik had his first weekend alone with Misti. No problem at all, they get along just great now. When we got back ... PURRRRR galore from the Spout, and mischief for 2 hours non stop! As if to say, "glad you're back, but don't do this to me again!" :) finally he fell asleep on my desk (phew). We could swear he's grown in the two days we haven't seen him ...

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Just got back from weekend away ...

Such a nice thread, so positive, in spite of the one Maks-attack. Just that she listens to your "no" when she hisses, even if you have to repeat it, it so good!

Just to jack this thread for a sec ... Spoutnik had his first weekend alone with Misti. No problem at all, they get along just great now. When we got back ... PURRRRR galore from the Spout, and mischief for 2 hours non stop! As if to say, "glad you're back, but don't do this to me again!" :) finally he fell asleep on my desk (phew). We could swear he's grown in the two days we haven't seen him ...

Yeah, she sort of stops and walks away. I'm hoping she is associating the no the same way the others, that what she's doing is not acceptable and to stop.

I'm glad the little Spout is doing well and had a good weekend. I have to say, they grow incredibly fast. I was looking at Maks and Kiska today, and realize how long they have both gotten. Kiska is still thin as a rail, but she's definitely growing.