Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

TV Alert - National Geographic

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Requested reminder for everyone to tune in to National Geographic Friday at 9pm Eastern for the first of a three-part series called DogTown. This is a seriers on the USA's largest no-kill animal sanctuary and a group called Best Friends. It looks like amazing tv for us animal lovers. Here is a clip for the show.

http://test.nationalgeographic.com/channel/video/index.html?refId=3253

Each of the three episodes will repeat Saturday at midnight and Sunday at 11am following the first showing.

From the website
Friday, January 4, 2008, at 09P
A puppy mill a facility that mass breeds dogsis raided by Nebraska state authorities. Over a hundred dogs are found in terrible conditions. DogTown arranges an emergency flight for trainer Sherry Woodard to bring back some of the most traumatized dogs. Among them is a terrier mix she names Animal, whos been driven to the brink of madness. Meanwhile Dogtowns Head Veterinarian Dr. Mike Dix faces a baffling medical mystery: a gentle male dog named Porto suffering from an undiagnosed illness. If Portos ever going to find a future home, his condition has to be diagnosed and treated. And two sibling hounds Remington and Ruger have been rescued from a polygamist sect where unwanted dogs are routinely shot. Theyre safe in DogTown, but to have any hope of adoption, they have to be split up. Trainer John Garcia has the difficult job of separating two dogs that have only ever lived together.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I don't get this channel. :yell: :sad:

CearaQC
January 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
This is on the Canadian version of National Geographic? I don't know why they split it up. The states get the newest shows all the time, but in Canada they take their sweet time. Same thing with the Space channel. I love Canada but wow the TV selections suck.

I only ask because some people can get USA programming on satellites. But cable is usually the Canadian programming.

crazydays
January 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
TeriM- Thanks for the tip! I watched the clip and really was interested in it- even if it did start me crying. It looks like one of those shows that reach to your core. I will be tuning in for sure.

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I've been seeing the previews for this show, and I'd love to watch it, but I think it would hit me too hard emotionally.

I used to watch Animal Precinct on Animal Planet but I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I get too emotional watching shows like that. I cry the whole way through.

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I am going to watch this for sure!

CearaQC - thats why I got the US and Canada time shifting channels, you get them all. :D

ancientgirl - me too, I use to get upset and I still do when they get real bad.

CearaQC
January 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I am going to watch this for sure!

thats why I got the US and Canada time shifting channels, you get them all. :D

We get time shifting but the only US channels we get are the standard CBS, etc.

I'll check the lineup for tonite and see if it's there.

Edit: Nope...something about camels tonite at that time slot. And the "new" Season 4 Dog Whisperer doesn't start until Jan 13.

chico2
January 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
The Best Friends sanctuary is a wonderful place,I first read about them many years ago.
It's not a place that will break your heart,no animal suffers there,but of course it's a sanctuary,not a real home.
I talked to hubby about going there on vacation,people do and put in time volontering.
It's absolutely beautiful on a country-property in Utah.
For those who get it,it's well worth watching!!

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I just checked, and we don't get it here either....grrr!!!!

chico2
January 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
FordGirl,you can go on their website and check it out,a doggie/kitty paradize..
www.bestfriends.org