Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Holiday pictures of Lucy and Riley

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Happiness is five sleepy, tired labradors on Christmas Day :D.

Not a great picture but here is Riley and his brother Sam cuddling.

We went cross country skiing on New Years Eve and stopped for a walk on the way back down the mountain. Riley LOVES snow :lovestruck:.

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
More snow pictures :D. Unfortunately it was late afternoon so the light kinda sucked :sad:.

Lucy and Riley - just a bit of a size difference in my two labs :D

Lucy is thinking it is time to turn around and head home for dinner :lovestruck:.

Snow is fun, fun, fun!

luckypenny
January 4th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Happiness is five sleepy, tired labradors on Christmas Day :D.

OMG, Labbie heaven :lovestruck: :cloud9: .

Riley is huge! How much does he weigh?

Sweet Lucy :lovestruck: , the pic of her is definitely my favorite.

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Riley is approx 90 lbs and is definately on the skinny side. I think he will probably run about 100 lbs when he finishes filling out. Lucy runs about 65 lbs.

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Part of the reason he looks so much bigger in that shot is that he has a very long body so when he sits he is very tall. Here is a shot from the fall that shows the size difference a bit more realistically.

luckypenny
January 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
:laughing: The length of his tongue matches the length of his body :laughing: . How long does it take for them to fill out approximately? Penny's about 1 1/2 years and we're still noticing changes in her body. Where she was once stalky and square, she's now longer and lean and still seems to be growing. We don't know if she's a full Lab but she certainly acts as goofy as one.

Had Lucy adjusted easily to Riley? Do they interact a lot with each other?

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Riley will be two years in May. I think he will continue to develop for at least another six months. Riley definately grew quite a bit this last summer so she easily could still be growing.

Lucy has been wonderful with Riley :lovestruck:. We were actually very worried (see our discussion in the TJT :rolleyes:) and thought we might need to muzzle her at first. We knew she would be fine with time but were surprised how quickly she adapted. She refused to look at him for the first 3 days and then he jumped at her and she pinned him. He of course screamed and we just ignored that (was so very hard not to cuddle him :sad:) and ever since he has been very respectful of her. She originally would only let him touch her in the car and the look on his face used to crack me up, he was sooooo happy to cuddle with her and would deliberately back up to snuggle with her. They don't play that much but that is more because of her age I think., she does occassionally have a short wrestle/romp with him. If his toy is to near Lucy he won't get it. He just whines at her until she moves away or I tell him it is ok to get it :D. They have no space issues at all when sleeping and are often touching.

She is also great with my mom's dog (Riley's bro) and did the same thing with him. Pinned him once, scared him and now they both fully accept her leadership :thumbs up.

Aren't you sorry you asked :D.

luckypenny
January 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Not at all. I love hearing puppy-love stories :D .

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
WOW....five labradorks sleeping all at the same time. :eek: You must have had them running all day long. :D Who are the other two yellow labs?

I especially love the pic of Lucy waiting to go back for dinner. :cloud9: And the ones of her and Riley together. Chase is 90lb. too and built like Riley. He's almost 2 1/2 and still needs to fill out. How much Orijen do you give Riley per day?

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 01:36 AM
The younger yellow is my brother's dog Hudson and the older is my uncle's dog Earle. My mom is looking after him for a month while he is in Mexico so when she comes here next week we will be up to 4 dogs for a few days.

Riley gets 3 cups of Orijen plus a raw dinner of approx 1.25 lbs meat and some veggies. If he is just on kibble he needs 5-6 cups but he can't process that much food so he gets raw at night. Plus numerous cookies, treats etc. throughout the day.

Wish I had his metabolism :frustrated:.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I've only been giving Chase 1 1/2 cups Orijen in the morning and 1 1/2 cups for supper plus leftover meat (1/4 to 1/2 cup) & veggies (about 1 Tbsp) and a big spoon of yogurt. I'm going to start increasing his amount though now that he's slowly getting more exercise. :o

Are Riley and Sam the same size? Riley looks bigger.

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Riley is bigger. Sam seems to have settled at around 75 lbs and mom is feeding him 3 cups Orijen per day. Sam is probably about half way in between Lucy and Riley for size. Riley also probably gets more exercise although Sam is fairly active.

Riley's mom is definately a "field lab" type and his dad is more of a "bench/english" type.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 01:56 AM
When you said Riley can't process 5 to 6 cups of Orijen per day, do you mean he gets diarrhea if you give him that much?

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Yes, he gets huge, soft poops. He seemed to max out at about 4 cups per day but that isn't enough to keep any weight on him (although haven't really tried it long term with Orijen, just TO). With the kibble/raw he pretty much just has one big poop a day, sometimes a smaller second depending on when he is walked. Lucy also does really well on raw so we compromised by one meal kibble, one raw. When we go somewhere overnight they usually get kibble for both meals. He is ok for a few days but any longer and we start to see problems.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hmmmm, I will have to keep that in mind.....thanks for the heads up. :thumbs up

breeze
January 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
beautiful pictures!!:thumbs up
I love seeing doggies playing in the snow, they are sooooo happy..
I find in snow I can let my gaurd down a little cause they are more interseted in playing in it than running away :laughing::laughing:

JanM
January 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
What a beautiful sight - 5 happy, tired doggies all lying together! Yours are so beautiful!

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 10:43 AM
My goodness you look like you really have your hands full.

I love that first picture. They all look like doggy stones in a creek laid out in a zig zag.:D

dmc123
January 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Great photos! You have a housefull too!

Diane

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
woohoo Riley ! he looks good in snow ! And Lucy , Lucy ALWAYS looks good :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I love the shot of Riley porpoising through the snow! :D Labs and snow have always been a winning combination. Labs and water of any temperature, actually. :p

happycats
January 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Nice pic's !!!

I just love your Lab rainbow:lovestruck:

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Oh, so cute! 5 labs you say, all in one house? Clear the coffee table or one of them will!!! LOL! :lovestruck: I love labs.

Rainbow - Dazy weighs 73lbs and eats 3 cups total or Orijen, like you feed, plus the meet and veggies and canned Evo in small amounts. I tried to up her food to 4 cups a day, from 3, did it grandually, and man, even a 1/4 of a cup extra made her runny, so we tried 4 cups for about a week and then back down to 3 cups, she just couldn't handle it. So instead I do like TeriM does and add different bits instead of kibble. My vet also told me in the summer, when they swim and drink lots of water not to up the kibble due to the chance of bloat but to add other protien sources instead.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Nice pic's !!!

I just love your Lab rainbow:lovestruck:

These aren't my pics. :D

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Rainbow - Dazy weighs 73lbs and eats 3 cups total or Orijen, like you feed, plus the meet and veggies and canned Evo in small amounts. I tried to up her food to 4 cups a day, from 3, did it grandually, and man, even a 1/4 of a cup extra made her runny, so we tried 4 cups for about a week and then back down to 3 cups, she just couldn't handle it. So instead I do like TeriM does and add different bits instead of kibble. My vet also told me in the summer, when they swim and drink lots of water not to up the kibble due to the chance of bloat but to add other protien sources instead.

:sorry: :offtopic:

Thanks.....I'm just going to increase small amounts at a time. I have no problem with adding extra meat/veggies instead of upping the kibble. Probably cheaper too. :laughing:

:o ......back to Teri's gorgeous labbie pics :lovestruck: .....

chico2
January 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oh my,5 beautiful Labs:lovestruck:and the snowpics WOW,really nice!

Rottielover
January 4th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Very nice pictures TeriM. Love all the labs sleeping. Def not something you see everyday, LOL