Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering

Harley's_Mom
January 3rd, 2008, 03:37 PM
Harley is scheduled to go in for neutering next week but in the meantime I just found out my neighbours' dog has gone into heat. You can imagine what that has done to Harley. He's currently having to wear a belly band when he's loose in the house because he's marking everywhere. I'm just curious to know if he'll stop marking in my house once he's been neutered. It's frustrating because he's 11 months old and has been housetrained since he was about 3 or 4 months old.

hazelrunpack
January 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
The good news is that your neighbor's dog will smell less attractive after a couple of weeks. Testosterone takes a long time to be metabolized and eliminated from the body, sometimes up to 8 months. So even after he's neutered, Harley will still be driven to mark in response to the pheromones your neighbor's dog is putting out until she's past the most 'attractive' phase of her heat cycle.

Are you sure he's marking in response to the fem and doesn't have a UTI?

Harley's_Mom
January 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm sure he's reacting to the female. There were other behavioural changes as well and they coincide exactly with her going into heat.

Harley's_Mom
January 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Just an update. It's been about 3 weeks since Harley was neutered and it seems (knock on wood) to have stopped not only the marking in the house but also outside.