Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Older cat licks under tail

debodun
January 3rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
I inherited an older neutered male cat when my grandmother passed away. He was a full grown adult cat when she acquired him 12 years ago, so he could be anywhere from 13 to 17 years old. I had him to the Vet in July and no major problems were disclosed other than a recommendation to have his teeth cleaned. The last week or so, he's been licking under his tail, then I usually find a small hard piece of feces near where he was. He eats well, but often vomits after eating dry kibble. He seems to drink an amazing amount of water. I have to re-fill the 3 water bowls every day and I often see him trying to lick water from sink faucets. I also think he had developed flatulence, if you know what I mean. He's an all-white cat and used to have very pink nose leather, but it's paled somewhat. He doesn't seem to be in discomfort and actually plays with stuff now and then in a kittenish fashion. Any opinions on this kitty? Thanks in advance.

phoozles
January 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Just my opinion, but it sounds like maybe he's licking under his tail because he's constipated, and is trying to help it along? Sounds like he's pretty dehydrated too - Any thoughts on giving him some wet food? It has a lot more moisture in it, and it would probably soften up his poop a little bit to make it easier for him. :shrug:

krdahmer
January 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Couple of questions to help us out... what do you feed him, and when was his last vet check up, if he is senior he needs to start having blood work done. Is he licking the fur off? or just cleaning his rear end?

debodun
January 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
He was to the vet in July, a little over 5 months ago. He eats both canned and dry food but usually vomits the dry. He doesn't lick himself to the point of baldness. I can't understand how he can be dehydrated - he drinks about a quart a day.

sugarcatmom
January 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
He was to the vet in July, a little over 5 months ago. He eats both canned and dry food but usually vomits the dry. He doesn't lick himself to the point of baldness. I can't understand how he can be dehydrated - he drinks about a quart a day.

If your cat is drinking 4 cups of water a day, there's something wrong. Please take him back to the vet for more blood work and a urinalyis. How much does he urinate in a day?

phoozles
January 3rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Your cat is drinking that much because he is dehydrated - it sounds like he can't get enough, which, as sugarcatmom mentioned, is not healthy.
:goodvibes: Hopefully whatever he has can be cleared up easily, but he should really go back to the vet for a check up.