Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big Max is so stubborn

clm
January 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
It's been brutally cold here the past couple of days. I thought for sure the big indoor/outdoor cat would want to come in for a while. He's incredibly stubborn, and unless he's not feeling well, he prefers to stay outside. He doesn't like the other cats and the pups, but he has his favorite chair and couch in the basement and is quite content there during the heat of summer when he seems to get allergies bad.
I opened up the front door to put out some dry food for the outdoor bunch last night and he came strolling in. I thought, great, he's going to stay in tonight and get warmed up for a bit. He stayed downstairs long enough to eat and drink and then wanted right back out. :frustrated:
He's been fighting, his one ear is missing a bunch of fur. I've been keeping an eye on it, it's clean and healing nicely. He's such a big tough guy, but he's getting older and he worries me. He still comes running to the car every night when I get home to be picked up and cuddled for a while. He's sleeping in his cat house under the front window mostly, so he is staying warm and dry, but it worries me none the less. I'm so glad he's the only one that goes out.

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM
Oh geez. You would think he would want to be inside all nice and cozy. Heck, if I were a cat there would be no place I'd rather be than a nice warm or cool house with plenty of food and water and a bunch of humans to fuss over me:D

I don't suppose you can do anything to bribe him to stay inside?

clm
January 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
No, there are no bribes to make this guy stay in. :laughing: I think I've tried everything. Only if he's not feeling well, so at least I always know when he's under the weather. :laughing:
He's such a nice temperment too, he loves kids, the neighbours kids and grandkids all play with him and he has never hurt a child, no matter how rough the child has been with him and it's odd for a cat to love little kids.
He just insists on being in the great outdoors. I do make him stay in halloween night (he's black), whether he wants to or not and nights that they have fireworks going on in the neighborhood. He's scared of fireworks, so he's not too bad on those nights, but halloween night he puts up a horrible fuss. Other than that, he can come and go as he pleases.
I love him, he's such a big suck.

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like he's got kitty wanderlust. At least though you're able to keep him in on Halloween and safe from the crazies.

JanM
January 3rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
I can relate to how you feel about your outside guy - Shadow came to me from a farm where he was outdoors and staying inside is hard for him too. In the winter he will stay in for most of the night - and sleeps right on top of me too - but outdoors is his favourite place. When he does stay out at night - warm or cold out - I worry all night! To me it makes such sense to be indoors but I guess to him, it's his element and he wants to be out there! I just cannot force him to stay indoors - I know all the dangers but he just loves to be outdoors. It is a constant worry though!

NoahGrey
January 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
*sigh* This thread frustates me.

You can keep a outdoor cat indoors. Yes, of course they are going to fight and moan to go outside. Cats do not know dangers outside. We do. It is our job to protect these strays or outdoor cats.

Trust me, I am an Animal Control Officer and I also assist in Animal Cruelty Investigations. I can't tell you how many cats that have gotten caught and injured in car engines to keep warm and end up either passing on the way to the vets or have to be put to sleep. Cats that are attacked by wildlife, cats that are sooooo froze bitten..if you touch their ears..they will literally fall off (had that call a couple of weeks ago), cats that are poisoned from drinking anti-freeze and sometimes alot of times die.

I could go on and on. I can't understand...you know the dangers..but yet you still let them go outside. If your child was fighting to go outside in a dangerous part of the neighbourhood...would you let them go?

There are no good and bad neighbourhoods for cats. ALL of OUTSIDE for cats is dangerous.

PLEASE PLEASE keep CATS INDOORS.

ACO22

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM

You can keep a outdoor cat indoors. Yes, of course they are going to fight and moan to go outside. Cats do not know dangers outside. We do. It is our job to protect these strays or outdoor cats.

Trust me, I am an Animal Control Officer and I also assist in Animal Cruelty Investigations. I can't tell you how many cats that have gotten caught and injured in car engines to keep warm and end up either passing on the way to the vets or have to be put to sleep. Cats that are attacked by wildlife, cats that are sooooo froze bitten..if you touch their ears..they will literally fall off (had that call a couple of weeks ago), cats that are poisoned from drinking anti-freeze and sometimes alot of times die.

I could go on and on. I can't understand...you know the dangers..but yet you still let them go outside. If your child was fighting to go outside in a dangerous part of the neighbourhood...would you let them go?

There are no good and bad neighbourhoods for cats. ALL of OUTSIDE for cats is dangerous.

ACO22

Let's set up a couple of senarios here.........

You live in a very small studio apartment. You have 2 dogs and a couple of cats, all rescues of course, that you have had since they were young, all adopted together. This stray comes along and, while it is affectionate to you, does not like your other animals. When you bring it in there is serious fighting, bad enough to bring on infections from a cat who has not been vet checked. The infections turn bad..............
mmmmmmm, yes, leave the cat in for the night.

You have a dog (or a child or you even) in your home suffering from a serious illness ....... can not be around other animals in case they have something you don't know they have. The cat wants outside and you say no. It gets upset because you won't let it out and scratches the dog (or child or you even)..............
mmmmmmm, yes, leave the cat in for the night.

I don't always agree with everything that is said on this forum but that is the beauty of it. We can agree to disagree without making others feel bad. These wonderful people who feed stray cats do everything they can to make these animals as comfortable as they can. They feed them, give them shelter, and give them as much love as they can. Please...... give them a break!

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
These wonderful people who feed stray cats do everything they can to make these animals as comfortable as they can. They feed them, give them shelter, and give them as much love as they can. Please...... give them a break!

:thumbs up 14+kitties , I second that ! :thumbs up

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't always agree with everything that is said on this forum but that is the beauty of it. We can agree to disagree without making others feel bad. These wonderful people who feed stray cats do everything they can to make these animals as comfortable as they can. They feed them, give them shelter, and give them as much love as they can. Please...... give them a break!

And, I third it :thumbs up .....very well said, 14+kitties :thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm all for keeping a cat indoors. But there are always different situations. There is a home involved here, so the cat is aware that there are safe spots both inside and outside the home. And he does go inside when he doesn't feel well so he knows where home is.

You can only do so much, and at least giving an animal a safe haven when it needs one is the most important thing.

clm
January 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM

ACO22
I can understand your frustration, but you're too closed minded about how to care for strays. If all the strays out there were caught and put into shelters, how many of them do you think would get to live out their lives as happily as this guy is. Would I prefer this guy to live out the rest of his life unhappy in a cage in a shelter or the way he's living now. I'd say he's much happier now.
I understand completely how dangerous it is for cats outside. This cat however adopted me and would never be happy as an indoor cat. Now I could spray him with water every time he goes near the door, and try to make sure I grab him every time I come in or go out so he doesn't get past me, but he wouldn't be happy and I know that. Sooner or later he would get out the door, and if you know cats as well as you think you do, you also know an unhappy cat will leave and go looking for greener pastures if he's unhappy. At least here, he's got food, water, shelter and gets vet care. He doesn't roam anymore and can come in if he wants. He's happy and that makes me happy. Not ideal I know, but it's not an ideal world is it. He's well cared for and happily calls my place home.

14+kitties
January 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I can understand your frustration, but you're too closed minded about how to care for strays. If all the strays out there were caught and put into shelters, how many of them do you think would get to live out their lives as happily as this guy is. Would I prefer this guy to live out the rest of his life unhappy in a cage in a shelter or the way he's living now. I'd say he's much happier now.
I understand completely how dangerous it is for cats outside. This cat however adopted me and would never be happy as an indoor cat. Now I could spray him with water every time he goes near the door, and try to make sure I grab him every time I come in or go out so he doesn't get past me, but he wouldn't be happy and I know that. Sooner or later he would get out the door, and if you know cats as well as you think you do, you also know an unhappy cat will leave and go looking for greener pastures if he's unhappy. At least here, he's got food, water, shelter and gets vet care. He doesn't roam anymore and can come in if he wants. He's happy and that makes me happy. Not ideal I know, but it's not an ideal world is it. He's well cared for and happily calls my place home.

Ok, I wasn't going to sign back in again tonight. Just came back to see if anything was new. But I had to after I read this.

clm ........ YOU GO GIRL!:thumbs up:thumbs up

NoahGrey
January 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM

While I do agree with providing food, water and shelter for a stray, I don't agree that it is happier outside. We have had cats come in through our doors..that you can tell have been outside for looong time. They are now in indoor homes and could not be happier.

I just hope you don't walk out one day and see him dead, either from a car, wildlife or from a sicko. I think you would think differently about the situation then.

Anyhoo...I do commend you for taking care of him.

ACO22

14+kitties
January 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM
"I just hope you don't walk out one day and see him dead, either from a car or wildlife or from a sicko. I think you would think differently about the situation then."

That was just mean! Why do you want to hurt people like this?????
I notice in your info that you only have one cat. Why aren't you bringing more strays into your house?
My dawg! IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK THE TALK, THEN WALK THE WALK!

ancientgirl
January 6th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I agree with 14+kitties, there is no reason to say something like that. I'm sure clm is doing what she can for her guy. Making her feel like she's going to find him dead one day and assume it will be her fault because he doesn't want to be indoors isn't nice.

maggiemay
January 6th, 2008, 11:35 AM
There are plenty of animals outside as in mice, squirrels, birds, coyotes, raccoon and there is no way you could possibly bring every animal inside to make sure that its safe from the world humans have created. Besides cats still have many of their natural instincs and i think live just as fine outside as inside. I mean at least this guy has somewhere to go and he knows to go there when he isnt feeling so hot. I know that my moms cats AlWAYS want outside and theyll do anything to get outside...
You cant control/save/house every animal on the planet. So why be so strict with just the cat species. I mean you wouldnt want a bunch of feral cats and wild dogs running around but i think that a few add a little character to a neighborhood. I love feeing the neighborhood cats!
I think what clm does is great! Hes probly a real interesting guy :D

NoahGrey
January 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
"I just hope you don't walk out one day and see him dead, either from a car or wildlife or from a sicko. I think you would think differently about the situation then."

That was just mean! Why do you want to hurt people like this?????
I notice in your info that you only have one cat. Why aren't you bringing more strays into your house?
My dawg! IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK THE TALK, THEN WALK THE WALK!

I do bring in strays. I also foster cats at work. As for me being mean...I am not being mean. I am stating the facts. Cats that live outdoors face this everyday. It's reality.

Also, I did say I commend her for doing what she is doing. More people should be like her. Just saying if you can...bring in a stray.

ACO22

Longblades
January 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Kudos to you CLM for doing what you can for that cat. I agree there are some, like wild animals, who would pine horribly if they lost their freedom. We've had some in our backyard too. It's true they don't know what bad things can happen to them but we do what we can for them and give them the dignity of choosing how they will live their lives. We believe cats are sentient beings who sometimes make choices we might not agree with, and we change the minds of the ones we can, but the others we help to live their lives as they want.

clm
January 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM
ACO22, I know you mean well, and you're only concerned about the cat.
Absolutely true, he could meet his demise from a car or an animal, human or otherwise. I do realize that, and anytime he disappears for more than a day, I worry and wander around calling him. I do know that one day he may not come back, but I've let him adopt me on his terms. While he's the kindest soul he's also immensly independent. I won't take that away from him. He likes to hunt for his keep too. :laughing: I'll hear this catterwalling and look out front and there he is with a dead mouse or vole. I'm supposed to recipricate with a bowl of his favorite food. Don't misunderstand, he gets fed at least 3 times a day whether he catches something or not, but he likes to show us what a good kitty he is. If I thought for a minute I could keep him in the house happily, I would. He's frantic confined in the house, maybe if I had a 5,000 square foot house instead of a 1,100 square foot one that would help. :laughing:
When I was a kid, our big black cat that looked quite a lot like Max was poisened by someone. I found him dead beside the house on my way to school. I've never forgotten that, hence why all the cats I've adopted since are indoor cats. Poodums:rip:, Little Max:rip: and Toby:rip: in the past were all indoor only cats and now I have 3, all indoor only. 2 sisters I got as kittens from a rescue group, the 3rd, Gabby, showed up last winter as a kitten freezing and hungry. She still tries to sneak out, just because she wants to follow the dogs and go play with them. She's perfectly happy inside otherwise. Mookie and Squeak have never been outside and never will be.