Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A few pictures from the past few days

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Oksana lounging on the kitty apartment, one of her favorite spots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture083.jpg

LOL, Vlad was just looking at me so I snapped a picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture079.jpg

This is when I brought Kiska home again from the vet. Maks wouldn't let her go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture067.jpg

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
The boys playing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture062.jpg

Here's Vlad trying to get close to Czarina. Look how he's extending his paw so he can try to touch her. My sweet boy:cloud9:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture071.jpg

Here's Kiska half watching half sleeping:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture072.jpg

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
I wanted to post this one so that you could see what a difference in size between Maks and Kiska. He's so much bigger than her already:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture086.jpg

Here's a really good shot of Czarina. You can see her fully here and all of her lovely coloring:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/Picture088.jpg

krdahmer
January 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Aw I love Vlad sneakin up to the pyramid and 'testing the waters' with his paw!!! Cute! And those little ones sure are growing! All such beautiful cats.:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
LOL, that's one of my favorites too. So far he's been able to get the closest to her. I'm hoping this weekend I can see some progress. It's supposed to rain here most of the weekend, so I plan on being on lock down. I'll have her out with the rest of them until bedtime.

I see a lot of growing in Maks. Kiska, well I think she's going to be a little kitty anyway. Oksana isn't really big, and it's only been recently, like in the past couple of months that she's grown a little. And Czarina isn't a huge cat either so, I'll just have 3 small girls and two big boys, because I expect Maks to be a big boy.

krdahmer
January 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
You never know with cats, even my Palomine who came to me as an adult changed... he was well on his way to meeting Buddy for weight and then we moved and he slimmed right down (more space + stairs = better workouts). And Smoke has these HUGE paws, and was as big as her sister Windy, and then got a tapeworm and is now the tiniest little thing! You never know, one of the girls could still get a growth spurt and end up bigger than Vlad! :laughing:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Do they keep growing after a year or is that when they reach their full growth? Czarina is 3 or 4 so I think that's it for her as far as size, but Vlad is now 11 months, Oksana 10 months and the little ones a little over 5 months.

Dracko
January 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
I have to say seeing Vlad put his paw out like that is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen a cat do. And I know to you things might seem tense but given that the cats are attacking one another all the time and your resident cats seem "interested" in Czarina, this is HUGE progress.

I've seen introductions takes WEEKS before the cats will accept even the presence of another in the same house. It took Ginkgo a few days to stop hissing at the kittens anytime they got close to her. I think it's fear and not aggression with most of these animals...just like with Czarina. She is scared.

Boy, oh boy is she a beauty. I adore her coloring. :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
I have to say seeing Vlad put his paw out like that is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen a cat do. And I know to you things might seem tense but given that the cats are attacking one another all the time and your resident cats seem "interested" in Czarina, this is HUGE progress.

I've seen introductions takes WEEKS before the cats will accept even the presence of another in the same house. It took Ginkgo a few days to stop hissing at the kittens anytime they got close to her. I think it's fear and not aggression with most of these animals...just like with Czarina. She is scared.

He really is going above and beyond. I do feel comfortable though that my resident cats are interested in her and they are not aggressive towards her in the least. I hope she soon realizes nobody there will hurt her. I talk to her as much as possible and try to assure her that she's safe.

She really looks lovely. I knew she was a pretty girl, but after she got her bath, and they got some dirt off of her she really looks like a different kitty.

SARAH
January 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm glad Oksana is back on her perch! And that pic of Vlad's face :D too much!

Czarina really is pretty, isn't she!

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM

I agree with everything Dracko said. As far as growing Vlad and Oksana will not get much bigger but they will fill out some. Maks and Kiska are still babies so have a bit more growing to do.

Dracko
January 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
Forgot to comment on Kiska and Maks cuddle shot. I love how protective he is of her. They are so bonded together. Wish my two sister kittens were like that. They get along but aren't "bonded" to that extent. I guess Maks and Kiska having such a crappy beginning probably caused them to depend on one another so much.

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I'm glad Oksana is back on her perch! And that pic of Vlad's face :D too much!

Czarina really is pretty, isn't she!

She loves sitting there, in that spot. LOL, he had such a cute look on his face.

It's funny, I've seen some videos on You Tube with cats going nuts when they see a camera in their face. I guess mine are just so used to it. I've been snapping them since they were wee things.

Czarina is a lovely cat. I love the cream and brown coloring in her fur.

14+kitties
January 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Look at that face...... oh my :cloud9: She is precious.
I think things are going really really well with your gang. Except for the first night things have been pretty normal. And who's to say it wasn't Kiska who went after Czarina first and Kiska, being the smallest, ended up getting the worse of it? Only they know for sure. I wish they could speak sometimes.
The rest of your group are doing great! Kiska looks about as small as a few of mine. They are never going to be huge kitties but that's ok. Easier for mom to pick up. ;)
I love the picture of Maks and Kiska together. So very protective he is. And the one of Maks and Vlad. Vlad looks like he's giving Maks a lecture on something. :laughing:
What an amazing family you have. :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Forgot to comment on Kiska and Maks cuddle shot. I love how protective he is of her. They are so bonded together. Wish my two sister kittens were like that. They get along but aren't "bonded" to that extent. I guess Maks and Kiska having such a crappy beginning probably caused them to depend on one another so much.

OMG, they absolutely love each other. It could very well be that they did have a difficult beginning. I don't know how many other siblings they had, but they were the only ones left when I found them and they were just one little ball of fur all huddled up together. They will always sleep next to each other, or if one is asleep somewhere else, the other will look for that one and snuggle up. When he hears her meowing, he comes to where she is immediately. He's a sweet little boy.:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Look at that face...... oh my :cloud9: She is precious.
I think things are going really really well with your gang. Except for the first night things have been pretty normal. And who's to say it wasn't Kiska who went after Czarina first and Kiska, being the smallest, ended up getting the worse of it? Only they know for sure. I wish they could speak sometimes.
The rest of your group are doing great! Kiska looks about as small as a few of mine. They are never going to be huge kitties but that's ok. Easier for mom to pick up. ;)
I love the picture of Maks and Kiska together. So very protective he is. And the one of Maks and Vlad. Vlad looks like he's giving Maks a lecture on something. :laughing:
What an amazing family you have. :lovestruck:

She may very well have just gotten too close, who knows. Shes fine now so I'm glad about that. I don't think she will be a big kitty. She's like Oksana at that age, and Oksana is small compared to Vlad. That's okay, two big boys is good enough in one apartment. LOL. Maks is very protective of her. He wants to be with her and looks for her all the time, and vice versa. I'm glad I found them. Not only because they really have brought me joy and I feel like I saved them, but because I think he and Vlad will really get along well. Vlad needed someone he could play a little rough with, and Maks will be his buddy.

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with everything Dracko said. As far as growing Vlad and Oksana will not get much bigger but they will fill out some. Maks and Kiska are still babies so have a bit more growing to do.

Vlad is already quite a big boy, the last time he weighed in at the vet he was about 12 pounds and Oksana 8. I can see him maybe growing a little more, but not Oksana. And the little ones, I'm thinking they will be like big brother and sis, he may grow as big as Vlad and she like Oksana.

Czarina I'd say is about the size of Oksana, but she's a little chunkier, she's 10 pounds and her body is a little more stocky.

chico2
January 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Aww they are all soo sweet,love the pic of Maks and Kiska,simply adorable:lovestruck:
and of course Vlad and Oksana are beautiful in their shny black fur..
Czarina is a beauty too,I :pray:you'll keep her and things will get better.
Seeing your cats are not behaving agressively,Czarina will eventually calm down,I am sure.
Who knows where she would end up,if you gave her to a shelter,other people(adopters) might not understand and love cats,the way you do...and she would probably end up on the street again:sad:

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Aww they are all soo sweet,love the pic of Maks and Kiska,simply adorable:lovestruck:
and of course Vlad and Oksana are beautiful in their shny black fur..
Czarina is a beauty too,I :pray:you'll keep her and things will get better.
Seeing your cats are not behaving agressively,Czarina will eventually calm down,I am sure.
Who knows where she would end up,if you gave her to a shelter,other people(adopters) might not understand and love cats,the way you do...and she would probably end up on the street again:sad:

Kiska has such a sweet face.

Right now, Vlad is sitting on the arm of the big chair looking down at Czarina. She's hissing and he's just ignoring her.

I think the best thing in my favor is that my cats are willing to accept her here. They have not been aggressive towards her at all. I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend, since I plan on being home all weekend. She'll be able to roam around longer than just in the evening.

I think if I gave up now, I'd feel guilty forever and I would always wonder what happened to her. She's already been abandoned once, I can't do it to her twice.

14+kitties
January 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
:grouphug: You are doing well, and so is Czarina. It's only been a few days and it gets better every day. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you. I know it's going to take a little more time than the others. She's got more issues and she's afraid.

I feel like it will get better as the days go by. I just can't wait for the day when I can see them all in the same room and her not hiss at anyone. I think that day will be a cause for celebration!

She's been walking around a bit but she's back in her little area in the pyramid. The screen is open though so that she can feel free to walk around if she wants. She did allow me to pet her today, which she did not last night.

I have to say, I don't know if any of the things I have is really even working. Maybe I expected something different from the Feliway, both the diffusers and the spray. They haven't helped ease her in any way. I'm also not sure how much the Rescue Remedy is helping either. Maybe she's just more stressed than those things can deal with.

I'll keep using them, hopefully at some point she'll begin to feel calmer.

dmc123
January 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
great shots! I love the one you took of Vlad just looking at you!

Diane

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I wish that one could have come out more focused. My camera for some reason just has a problem focusing near. But I love that shot too.

Winston
January 3rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Ancientgirl! I havent been on much today but thought I would check in and see how today went! So far so good! Another day down! and another heading towards those comfy days!! I love th e pics! that one of Maks and Kiska is a KEEPER! I have some really cute pics when Tabitha and Bomber were small...OMG they were so cute! No their more like bookends when they sleep but they do still cuddle occasionally..I think now that they are 11 years they have taken to some more alone time but they still have those precious moments!

Heres to another successful day! http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/16.gif

Cindy

ancientgirl
January 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hey Ancientgirl! I havent been on much today but thought I would check in and see how today went! So far so good! Another day down! and another heading towards those comfy days!! I love th e pics! that one of Maks and Kiska is a KEEPER! I have some really cute pics when Tabitha and Bomber were small...OMG they were so cute! No their more like bookends when they sleep but they do still cuddle occasionally..I think now that they are 11 years they have taken to some more alone time but they still have those precious moments!

Heres to another successful day! http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/16.gif

Cindy

They love being together, but I also see Kiska likes to curl up with Vlad sometimes too. I think Kiska and Maks will always have a special bond, but as they grow, and associate more with Vlad and Oksana, they will also grow their own bonds with them.

I'm really hoping that this weekend there will be some breakthrough. I'll be home most probably the entire weekend. It's going to be raining so I'll be able to allow Czarina to roam around the apartment longer. i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm praying this doesn't take months.

krdahmer
January 4th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I just had a thought.... have you tried her with catnip yet? I wouldn't recommend giving it to her when she is out and about or with the others, but you could try giving her a little bit when you put her away at night. I found that with 'Papa' cat, that was the thing that made him finally settle in to the indoors and relax a bit. (He ended up being the most affectionate guy and finding a great home thanks to the rescue and Petsmart.) If the feliway and rescue remedy aren't doing the trick it's worth a shot. You could sprinkle a bit in her pyramid, or on a rug. Mine usually have a few minutes of squirrelly, then flake out... totally relaxed.

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 03:45 AM
There are other natural remedies as well. Maybe this site will help....

http://www.startribune.com/pet_central/11915921.html

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I just had a thought.... have you tried her with catnip yet? I wouldn't recommend giving it to her when she is out and about or with the others, but you could try giving her a little bit when you put her away at night. I found that with 'Papa' cat, that was the thing that made him finally settle in to the indoors and relax a bit. (He ended up being the most affectionate guy and finding a great home thanks to the rescue and Petsmart.) If the feliway and rescue remedy aren't doing the trick it's worth a shot. You could sprinkle a bit in her pyramid, or on a rug. Mine usually have a few minutes of squirrelly, then flake out... totally relaxed.

She does like the catnip. I was playing with some catnip bubbles the other day with the others, while she was hiding under a chair. After she came out, she was sniffing the floor and started sqirming on the flood. I'll try sprinkling a little bit in her bedding, see what happens.

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
There are other natural remedies as well. Maybe this site will help....

http://www.startribune.com/pet_central/11915921.html

Thanks for that link! I'm giong to have a look through it when I get to work. Hopefully I can find something that will help.

chico2
January 4th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Ancientgirl,I have Feliway diffusers too and I don't notice much difference in Rockys nervy behaviour,but the spraying is 98% better:thumbs up
I once a long time ago had him on calming meds from the vet(forgot the name)but it definetly did not work,I will continue to use Feliway for sure.
My cats LOVE cat-nip, it makes them worked-up and playful,only to conk out after the excitment:cat:
I would not force affection on Czarina,let her come to you,females are often like that.
Also if she growls and hisses when you put her away,that too is not unusual in any cat.
I used to keep Vinnie in another room in the beginning and he definetly did not like to be put there at night,but would relax and go to sleep after a while,I have French Doors,so they could still see each other.
All in all,I think you are doing great as are your other kitties,they seem to be wonderfully accepting,must be their great upbringing:thumbs upan upbringing Czarina did not have.:cat:

ancientgirl
January 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Ancientgirl,I have Feliway diffusers too and I don't notice much difference in Rockys nervy behaviour,but the spraying is 98% better:thumbs up
I once a long time ago had him on calming meds from the vet(forgot the name)but it definetly did not work,I will continue to use Feliway for sure.
My cats LOVE cat-nip, it makes them worked-up and playful,only to conk out after the excitment:cat:
I would not force affection on Czarina,let her come to you,females are often like that.
Also if she growls and hisses when you put her away,that too is not unusual in any cat.
I used to keep Vinnie in another room in the beginning and he definetly did not like to be put there at night,but would relax and go to sleep after a while,I have French Doors,so they could still see each other.
All in all,I think you are doing great as are your other kitties,they seem to be wonderfully accepting,must be their great upbringing:thumbs upan upbringing Czarina did not have.:cat:

Chico, thank you for the compliment:D

I've tried to keep my distance from Czarina when I feel she doesn't want to be bothered. I've been just letting her come to me for petting. When I get home, I do give her a pet and say hello while she's in her pyramid, then I open the screen and leave it open until bedtime.

I have noticed that with Oksana, she also is the one who comes to me when she wants her daily petting. I remember as a kitten she'd always sleep on my lap and constantly want to be held. Now whenever I pick her up, she gives me this whiny meow that sounds like a nooooooo. LOL.

I do feel lucky that I have at least only one really unsure cat to deal with, as the others are going about their business and pretty much giving her space.
This weekend is when I hope to see some progress, as she will be out for a longer period of time. She's been with them about a week, so I'm crossing my fingers that the extra time outside her enclosure will allow her to relax and try to get to know the others.