Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update + ? on Neighbors dog

H.P.
January 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well, while I was gone on vacation, my neighbor had to move out and leave his dog, Smokie. My landlady had been going over and feeding him/taking him out, but he had been living by himself for a week. Long story short, he is now staying with me until I can get him neutered and find him a good home.

I have a question though, He and Sydney get along well, but when he has stayed over night before, there have been "power struggles" for who would sleep where in the bed (with me), and no one got any sleep. I am thinking of having Smokie stay in the kennel tonight, so that Syd knows she is not being replaced, what do you think?

Winston
January 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Can you get both of them to sleep on the floor on a doggie bed? This way they feel equal?

Cindy

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't think the newbie should sleep in your bed. Always give more attention to your own dog , they will still have to work it out themselves , but this way , you're showing your dog she's still number 1 with you. :thumbs up

H.P.
January 2nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Can you get both of them to sleep on the floor on a doggie bed?

This would be ideal, but Syd has pretty much slept in the bed with me since she was 5 weeks old, some times she will sleep in the floor on her own, but it seems unfair to force her sleep there.

I am going to try putting him in the kennel (in the same room with us) for tonight and see how it goes. I guess it will be trial and error until we figure it out, or find him a forever home.

woof99
January 2nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
I agree with your decision, keeping the new dog in a crate overnight will help avoiding issues. Also, do not forget to consistantly treat your dog as #1, feed her first, she gets cookie 1st, and so on.

By the way, thank you for taking in this dog.

I also regularly foster strays and it is so rewarding! I bring them around to local dog parks and spread the word that they are looking for a home and usually within 1-2 months I find them a great home.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
I don't think the newbie should sleep in your bed. Always give more attention to your own dog , they will still have to work it out themselves , but this way , you're showing your dog she's still number 1 with you. :thumbs up

I agree with your decision, keeping the new dog in a crate overnight will help avoiding issues. Also, do not forget to consistantly treat your dog as #1, feed her first, she gets cookie 1st, and so on.

I agree :thumbs up and good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

SARAH
January 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM

By the way, thank you for taking in this dog.

I also regularly foster strays and it is so rewarding! I bring them around to local dog parks and spread the word that they are looking for a home and usually within 1-2 months I find them a great home.

Rainbow, we agree again :thumbs up When we got Sheba, sweet as she is I always gave Dani her food and treats first. Now I do it on purpose when Sheba begs excessively at the table (which Dani does not) to try to get Sheba to understand that by begging, she gets last ... not working :laughing:

(oops sorry, a little off topic)