Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Irrisponsible owners

mona_b
June 7th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Well Kyra just came home from school and told me that one of her friends got bit by her boyfriends dog.This dog knows her very well.He is a Dal/Lab mix...Can you believe this is the third time this dog has bitten.All family members.Apparently she was on her way out the door when the dog attacked.Her boyfriend tried to get the dog off her,and the dog turned on him.This dog was not UTD on shots,no rabies shot either.This is the killer,when they went to the hospital,the mother wanted her son to tell Malissa to lie and say it was not their dog.They are watching it.Can you believe that?Well there was no way that Melissa was going to lie,especially knowing this dog could really hurt someone.She is ok.Her arm is all swollen.They couldn't stitch her cause the wounds were to deep.She has tingling in her arm cause an artery was severed....Poor girl.....She also said that she doesn't give a damn if her boyfriend dumps her for reporting the bite.

Also,they ended up giving the dog to someone else to watch him while he is in a 10 quarentee.

daisy18216
June 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
That poor girl, I'm glad that it wasn't more serious than that. I'm also happy to hear that she reported it and she doesn't care if her boyfriend dumps her b/c of it. That girl is very smart!!!

As for the boy's parents, WTF is wrong w/them. Don't they know that Melissa can turn around and sue them. They are aware of this dog's behavior and apparently don't give a crap, and for the dog to NOT BE UTD ON HIS SHOTS.

These people shouldn't get this dog back. I think this dog needs to go to a loving home where he will be taken care of and have his shots.

mastifflover
June 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Unfortunately this sounds like a situation where the dog will need to be put down due to the idiots that probably never socialized it properly or gave it proper vet care. The dog was probably hit or worse to train it and now the dog will pay. I am very sorry for the person that got bit in the same breath is she was aware that the dog had bitten before and she did nothing to correct the situation she is just as guilty if this is her boyfriend and he dumps her It would be no loss. He is obviously a loser and she would be better off without him. You know what they say if someone will abuse an animal they will do the same to a human. Personally I think the owner needs to be put down.

Luba
June 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Mona I hate to say this but that dog prob needs to be pts

It's happened one too many times and not isolated either. I would if this were my dog. What a shame, so very sad.

Is this girl going to suffer damage in the way of nerve damage.
She should get a lawyer and sue, I know that may not be what she wants to do but she should.

Tell her to take a LOT of pictures of this, showing her face in some of the pics to prove it is her.

Pics from when it first happens and how the healing progresses every day.

Find out if the homeowners insurance covers this or not.
She could end up with permanent damage. Poor young girl!

Let us know how she is doing and what is going on with the dog. I'd advocate for the euth if I were u. This is a dangerous dog!

mona_b
June 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I am very sorry for the person that got bit in the same breath is she was aware that the dog had bitten before and she did nothing to correct the situation she is just as guilty if this is her .

Ummmm,and how was she to correct it?This was not her dog.And second of all,she didn't know till after she was attacked.We are talking about a 16 year old.

Oh I know daisy...It's to much.

Luba,I have to agree with you.I will tell Kyra to get her to take the pictures.

Well I'm not sure about the damage and if it will be permanent yet..

I will have a talk with Kyra and give her a few pointers as to what Melissa should do....This dog definately has to be pts...I fear it will be worse the next time...

I will definately keep you guys updated..

Luba
June 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I wonder if the owners (the boys parents) have contacted the girls parents to see how she is?

MBRA518
June 8th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Unfortunately this sounds like a situation where the dog will need to be put down due to the idiots that probably never socialized it properly or gave it proper vet care. The dog was probably hit or worse to train it and now the dog will pay.

Maybe so... but not always. My dog did this once - right through the door after a little girl that rang the door bell - luckily she was not hurt badly - but she did need stiches. This was a well socialized dog that had been friendly to that point - he was protective (barked when door bell rang and such) but was never cross.

I was devastated... and I did have the dog put down... it was one of the hardest things for me to do, but it wasn't fair to the dog to keep him, as he would never be allowed off leach or w/o a muzzle by law, not to mention I wasn't sure I could trust him after that, as he gave no warning before it. It was also not fair to him to find a new home - who's to say it wouldn't happen again - and what would happen to him if it did? At least I know he had a good life while he was here and we gave him a peaceful end.

Also Dalmatians are known to be cross... my father took one in from a family that was worried about their little girl with him (he was 1yr old - the kid was 7) My father kept him for a couple of years but eventually put him down - on top of the aggression - which could be managed, but you had to be careful around him - he also had health problems - he couldn't eat protein... my father eventually had him on a type of horse feed and cooked veggies(sounds strange but it worked better than the vet's special food). All of the dal's problems were from bad breeding. So, while I can't imagine the family allowing this dog to bite on that many occasions it is possible that the dog was not abused.

hellonwhls
June 8th, 2004, 07:13 AM
I am sorry to hear about the young girl being bitten at all. And NO shots? And then being asked to lie? If that was my daughter, I would call the cops and have the whole thing dealt with. Years ago I had to put down a SharPei for biting... I have a one bite rule. Hard to do but had to be done. These things leave a sour note against all dog owners and I myself have had enough.
:mad:
hell

MBRA518
June 8th, 2004, 07:19 AM
I am sorry to hear about the young girl being bitten at all. And NO shots? And then being asked to lie? If that was my daughter, I would call the cops and have the whole thing dealt with. Years ago I had to put down a SharPei for biting... I have a one bite rule. Hard to do but had to be done. These things leave a sour note against all dog owners and I myself have had enough.
:mad:
hell

I agree completely!

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM
This is this dogs (3)rd bite! Not the first it should be pts!

Iggette
June 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Oh Mona I feel for your daughter and her friend. I hope Kyra and her friend don't get all caught up in a who should do what arguement at school. Debates between kids at that age can be brutal and get carried away. :(

Chany
June 8th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Mona does Kyras friend have to get rabies shots now or wait until the quarantine is over?
This is total BS!!!!! :mad: :mad:
I agree with mastifflover about the parents!! Maybe they should get a $10,000 fine and then shots for a dog wouldn't seem so expensive :mad: .
That poor girl!!!
I don't think that dog needs a loving home, he's proved already that he can't be trusted! Sometimes there is no choice! Its not a decision thats easy to make but it has to be done!
Kyra's friend should consider suing just to scare some sense into these idiots!!
This wasn't a little nip this was a serious bite! Can you imagine if he would have got her face? The scary thing is he's bitten family members and he knew her well. How trustworthy is that? If they don't do it some day it could be a small child and it could be deadly. The owners are just as untrustworthy as their dog!!! :(

melanie
June 8th, 2004, 06:23 PM
i dont think sueing is the answer if it can be avoided (unless permanant damage), it just makes people angrier and god knows what this will make them do (and young girls should not go into this, such a long drawn out process, the trauma of dealing with a suit is hard stuff not to mention the harassment, and not good for a young girl or her mental health), but i do believe that the owners should pay all the medical costs (can you sue for just that???). i bet they have not contacted the girls parents, buggers. they should be fined and charged by the police for having a dangerous animal out of their control and then a huge fine might make them think next time.
and it is nice to see a smart girl, good to see she knows better than to have a BF like that, smart girl.
mona you should be proud of Kyra too, she seems a smart girl and a caring friend, you have done well. ;)
keep us posted of melissa recpovery and what action she will take, what do melissa parents think of all this?

mona_b
June 8th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Thank you for the concerns...... :)

So far no debates Iggette.... :D

Chany,not sure if she has to wait or not.Melissa hasn't really talked about it much.I think the reason being is she really doesn't know what's going to happen.Or maybe her parents don't want her talking about it.I can somewhat understand.Melissa's BF goes to the same school.She seems to still be in a bit of shock.Which I understand.But I do know that the hospital did fill out a report.Which means the cops had to have gotten involved.She did not lie and told doctor what really happened.

Thank you melanie,I am very proud of her...She's a good kid.And has a good head on her shoulders... :D ...She takes after her mum.... :p