Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Pets.ca Fatloss Challenge 2008 - goals and updates thread

Pages : [1] 2

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'll go first ... (yikes :eek: )

I am currently 165 lbs and will be 130 lbs by June 3rd (Saturday)
Bodyfat is 18.87% and will be 15% on that date

Bikini-measurements will be 36-28-36 again (do I have to say what they are now? OK then ... 39 - 34.2 - 39.4 :yell: )

Before pic (back only!)

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ok, I will go next.
I started at 236 lbs june 6th, 2007. My goal is 150 lbs by end of 2008. ( Thanks Sarah ) LOL
I do not have any swim suit pictures, as I never wore one. But for me this is enough as a motivator than anything.
I am also posting a success this far. :)
Oh ya, I am now 192 lbs
Short term goal is by May to be 170 LBS, to look good in a dress for friends wedding

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think both of you are very brave to put your before weights and pictures on the internet.

I won't be doing that!!!

All I can say is, this "THE" most I ever weighed...I am not sure why I gained the weight since I am living with a health nut who nags me about sugar intake.

I would like to loose 30 pounds.

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Holy sh:censored: Sarah are you ever brave sharing that pic! I would rather die than let people see my imperfections. :laughing:

I'm sure you will meet your goal, as well as Rottielover. You are beautiful already though, remember that.

Never in a million years will I post a pic of myself because I'm way too shy... but I'm 6 ft tall, 210 lbs, large skeletal frame.

My only bad spots are inner thighs and a belly roll. Otherwise I'm happy with my body.

Not too concerned about looks, but want to get my knees in better condition and gain lots more stamina so I can do more outdoor activities.

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
They way I see it is........if you have something to motivate you, use it. I have that as my desk top, I NEVER want to see that in the mirror again.

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
My turn, I will walk the plank! Keep in mind I am only 5' tall so the number are BAD....current weight 220ish, short term goal 200 by February 28th. Long term - I try not to think too far ahead, I get over whelmed, I need to picture small bits of the end result and work towards those.

Program Plan - Fitday.com to track food and exercise. Be more active with cardio and weighs, make better food choices. Less booze would help.

Here are 2 recent pics - one from halloween and one from the summer (beer and cigs in hand:rolleyes:) at camp. Oh well, that was the past - the newer skinner me is about to break thru!!! :laughing:

Good luck everyone! :thumbs up We can do this! :grouphug:

I agree Rottielover, I too need a good motivator - these pics help, I haven't shown too many people these, these are not my proudest moments but they work as a great wake up call!!! Turning 30 last week helped too.

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Oh.. wanted to mention. There's a yoga show on TV called Namaste. It's usually on at 5 am. I've seen it listed on the "Essentials" section of the Starchoice satellite channel lineup, so it's not an extra channel to get, although you can on the One Body Mind Spirit Channel.

The way she does yoga... man... I sweat like a pig doing that.

http://www.namaste.tv/yoga.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7drLSbrHft0

Writing4Fun
January 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
I actually started back in November. I've been keeping track in my blog (http://bikermomma.blogspot.com/2007/11/lets-try-this-again-shall-we.html). Sorry, no pictures. I'm allergic to the front of cameras. Surprisingly, there's no reaction whatsoever when I'm behind one. :laughing: :clown:

Kristin7
January 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a recent pic of myself (or do I mean, 'fortunately', lol!). I am 5 ft, 2.5 inches tall and weight about 138 lbs (according to my recent dr visit). I will have to weight myself at home on my own scale, but this sounds about right. My goal is to get back down around 122 lbs and on a regular workout schedule to get in better shape. I don't really eat a lot of junk or large portions but am drinking a lot and need to cut back. And work out more!!! I know I already said that but it is the most important thing to do. If in good shape, I know I will feel better, be able to fit into my old favorite pants and won't have to limit myself food-wise. :fingerscr:grouphug: that we all meet our goals this year (or next, if that is more realistic).

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 02:39 PM
November? Me too, the 12th ... ok you "asked" for it lol

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Ok, just took one this second, my first time in a dress since before Kayla was born.

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I am much to shy to post a pic, besides I haven't allowed myself to be photographed since becoming this big:sad:. I'm 5'1. and small boned.

I quit smoking in Jan 1999 (New Years resolution) gained 50 pounds, then got pregnant in 2000....need I say more??!!:eek:

So I would like to,....No i am going to lose 60 pounds!! I will do it one minute, hour, day at a time, as I believe a deadline will just set me up to fail.

I am going to eat healthier, and get more active!
I am going to eat much slower, so I can get that body signal that I'm full! ( I eat on the run often, so am always eating a warp speed so go way past the point of full).

I am doing this for me, as I have felt terrible, ugly and unhealthy since becoming this big.
I also want to set a good example for my son. I want to be able to play, and do things with him as well.

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Happycats, one little tip ... use smaller plates. That will force you to eat smaller portions because a small plate looks full faster then a large plate ;)

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I don't understand how this works.

There's many of us who's interested in loosing weight on pets.ca

Do we team up by area to help each other to loose weight. Or do we keep an online journal with pic's, weight loss and calory counter?

I am worried this thread will go dead in a month or two.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM

I'll be here cheering for you guys ! http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/2.gif

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I don't understand how this works.

There's many of us who's interested in loosing weight on pets.ca

Do we team up by area to help each other to loose weight. Or do we keep an online journal with pic's, weight loss and calory counter?

I am here everyday during the work week, as long as I am online I will check this thread. It's part of the commitments I am making. I think the theory behind it would be to do your best to get fit, post results weekly in this thread and encourage others. Then the other thread would be for general chatter about it, questions, venting, etc...

Am I way off here?

Teaming up is a great way to do it for sure, a buddy system always helps keep you on track. As I mentioned fitday.com has a great tracking tool, journal, tips, etc....thats what I use each day.

I think each thread should be started monthy, so it doesn't turn in to a zillion page thread where we can't keep up. IMO.

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
HAH !!

Did you know, that statistically, only 5% of those who start on a fatloss journey on January 1st actually complete it?

What makes the other 95% fail? Lack of ... written goals!!

Weird, eh? Not really. By writing your goals by hand (not PC) the message is easier perceived by your brain. By re-writing the same goals every morning or at least reading them every morning, as well as reading them at bed-time, and at any other time during the day that you have a moment or a weakness, you actually, effectively brainwash yourself into a goal-achiever!

Think about it. The junk-food companies do it all the time! They brainwash you with their commercials so that you end up buying their junk - solid or liquid - because you associate the product with that commercial, even if you know it's bad for you.

So by taping TV shows and fast-forwarding the commercials, you short-circuit them.

By writing your goals on a card (like the old Kardex-cards) and VISUALIZING yourself in the situation of having reached that goal, you are telling your brain that it's ok to go for broke (fat-wise) and your brain tells your body to release that fat.

I know it sounds corny. Many people think so, they "pffft" and huff over the idea and don't do it. And fail.

At weight loss, and at a lot of other stuff in life.

But it's not corny. It's not silly, and it does work. I've seen it in action ... on me! Tell yourself what you want. Allow yourself to work for YOU, it's not being selfish at all. Act as if you were already that new, skinny person, and you are in fact allowing yourself to become just that person!

Goals are so important, and so is journalling - for food, training, sleep, emotions ... write, write , write. And there's another trick: cut out pics (no heads) of bodies that resemble what you want, and paste them on a goal-board you hang somewhere you will see it at least twice a day, and preferably first thing in the morning and last at night ... in your bedroom, bathroom, inside closet door if you know you open it every day! You can make that even stronger by pasting a pic of YOUR head to the bodies!

Just make sure you pick a body you CAN look like. If you have short legs and measure 5'2, don't pick a pic of a 5'8 long-legged thing! Be realistic, but be brave! Aim high and go for it!! Believe in yourself, because you can do it!

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I am here everyday during the work week, as long as I am online I will check this thread. It's part of the commitments I am making. I think the theory behind it would be to do your best to get fit, post results weekly in this thread and encourage others. Then the other thread would be for general chatter about it, questions, venting, etc...

Am I way off here?

Teaming up is a great way to do it for sure, a buddy system always helps keep you on track. As I mentioned fitday.com has a great tracking tool, journal, tips, etc....thats what I use each day.

I think each thread should be started monthy, so it doesn't turn in to a zillion page thread where we can't keep up. IMO.

Agreed. We post monthly results, but keep track weekly so that we know where we are. Checking once a month is not enough, you have lots of time to head down the wrong path without realizing it in 4-5 weeks.

Keep track, journal by hand, FitDay, whatever, Excel if you know how (I don't) and know where you are at all times, then pop in here ... it's the 2nd today, so let's say every 2nd of every month? And make sure this thread is one you subscribe to, that way we always know when someone is on :thumbs up

Buddy-system and training partners is fabulous!

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I think each thread should be started monthy, so it doesn't turn in to a zillion page thread where we can't keep up

That's a good idea, just like the threadjack thread. A thread gets opened every month.

There's a spinning class today at my gym at 6pm which I would normally go to. But I think I may leave work an hour early (5pm) so I will do the stairmaster for an hour instead.

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
OK, that's the inspiration I needed. Tomorrow morning, it's stair master before breakfast!!

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I actually like the stairmaster.

I don't like the tredmill since I feel guilty when I know my dog is waiting for me to take her for a walk.

Someone once told me, if you have a dog having a gym membership is a waste of money. Everything you can do at the gym you can do with your dog.

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
I can not wait to go back to work :). easier to stick to meal plans. And 2 weeks off the gym is killing me

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
But remember, you do need a break or you end up with overtraining and hit that dreaded plateau! Rest is as important as training.

(OK, don't everyone hit the sack at the same time :frustrated: :D )

I have a stair-machine and an elliptical so I switch between the two and the dogs :)

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I was reading Oprah couple of nights ago, she suggets that you have 8 works out per week. A work out for her is cardio and weights.

She also thinks the first six weeks to leave off all the white stuff, sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes etc. Also whole grains and ALL pastas and breads.

I find it hard to cut out certain foods since I am 97% vegetarian.

There's only so much salads, veggie soups, you can eat wtihout any of the forbidden foods.

For me, it's not what I eat but how much.

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I am heading to your place for cardio Sarah.....Let me at those lovely machines

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
For anyone who is interested, Dr Phil on CTV right now,
The subject is resolutions.......weight loss!

Okay I just joined fitday, should I go public? (thank you for the website)

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I was reading Oprah couple of nights ago, she suggets that you have 8 works out per week. A work out for her is cardio and weights.

She also thinks the first six weeks to leave off all the white stuff, sugar, flour, pasta, potatoes etc. Also whole grains and ALL pastas and breads.

There's only so much salads, veggie soups, you can eat wtihout any of the forbidden foods.

I know people like O, but I don't. And 8 workouts a week, what is she, NUTS ?? Your body NEEDS one day of rest (not one day of lazing around, but off weights and concentrated cardio). I would suggest 3 days weights and 2-3 days cardio and stretching. IF you need extra fat burning closer to our goal date, you CAN add cardio 5 days a week, but don't start out with it. Leave yourself room to maneuver.

I am heading to your place for cardio Sarah.....Let me at those lovely machines

Any time :thumbs up

For anyone who is interested, Dr Phil on CTV right now,
The subject is resolutions.......weight loss!

Okay I just joined fitday, should I go public? (thank you for the website)

You don't necessarily need to go public on fitday, you have this thread :) but if you feel a double accountability factor is better than just this one, for sure!

I also know people who start their own fatloss blog, with daily updates and pics!!

Whatever gets you going.

You have to set goals that mean something to YOU. You have to find a nutrition plan that is right for YOU. Same thing with the cardio and weights, other than needing both and minimum 2-3 days/week weights, the rest is pretty much up to you and how YOU feel about it.

I know that I will add more cardio come spring, simply by driving with Lewis up to the 20 and walk home from there - with the dogs on tandem leash and haltis! Until then, it's 2-3 days/week on the machines. But that's ME and what suits me.

Just one little cardio tip: you burn 30% more fat if you can do it fasted ... i.e., straight out of bed! Which is why the brisk morning walks are so great, everyone has a pair of shoes and a street/trail to hit.

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM

Your skinny aren't you??!!

Lucky BI@#H:rolleyes:

:laughing:

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
I am on facebook with mine. I have a weight loss journey :)

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Your skinny aren't you??!!

Lucky BI@#H:rolleyes:

:laughing:

She is, totally unfair when you think of all her cheesecakes and chocolates! Unless it's just something she says to make us jealous, when in fact, all she eats is grated carrots :evil:

I am on facebook with mine. I have a weight loss journey :)

What's that link again Karen?

Writing4Fun
January 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
By writing your goals by hand (not PC) the message is easier perceived by your brain.
Yup! I blog about it bi-weekly to keep me accountable, but I keep a weekly log of my measurements by hand on an Excel spreadsheet I printed out. Something about writing the numbers down makes it more "personal" and "real".

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
HA HA HA....who can say their young child like low sodium V8 juice...I can.......I can....we had that with dinner tonight, she drank a whole glass of it :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6239568777

You have to sign up to facebook in order to join

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

Oops, I missed the second part :eek:

I will agree on one thing here, losing the "white stuff", however ... nuances!
Keep potatoes, sweet potatoes, squashes (baked they are all delicious and nutrtious), keep the pasta but make it whole wheat, and the same for breads. Use brown rice rather than the refined white, polished stuff with no nutrients left in it. Add legumes to your vegetable stews and soups. And you know of course that a mix of legume and grain will give you all the amino acids you need for your body to make protein, so there's no danger there. (like a couscous with the bulghur and chick peas; the Southern red-beans-and-rice; and you can use lentils with anything you want; split pea soup and whole wheat bread ...)

Portion control is essential. Also, how often you eat. If you can manage to eat something every 3 hours (which we normally do anyway with the coffee-breaks and snacks ... ) just make each meal less in volume and keep the inner fire burning (it burns fat).

97% vegetarian ... what do you put in the last 3% ? I'm a little curious, because there are more and more questions on a fitness/BB forum I'm moderating, from vegetarians, and I've decided look into things for all those who are not inveterate meat eaters. I can easily skip meat myself, find it harder with the starchy carbs though :)

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I use Fitday but don't have it public. I also log on to weightwatchers.ca to get shopping lists and recipes. They have great shopping lists by the week.

Something I do to help me is each morning my sister and another gf email our daily menu's to each other, helps us be accountable for our food and ensure we pack a good lunch and snacks for work and if we don't pack one we make sure the others buy something healthy.

I am all about support in every which way I turn, I need that to succeed. Tonight I am going grocery shopping with my gf to get healthy foods. :thumbs up I told DH to either eat or clear out all the bad food by the time I get home. (or at least hide if from me) My guess is that he's eating it right now, the rest is coming to work with me tomorrow.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
97% vegetarian ... what do you put in the last 3% ?

I can't answer for Poodletalk but I'm about the same. I do eat pepperoni on my pizza , I do eat beacon 2-3 times a year , I put "cretons" on my toasts on week ends and will eat chicken once every 3-4 weeks. Other than that , I don't eat meat.

Oh yes , and I sometimes have a Big Mac but that doesn't count because I don't think there's any real meat in there !

Byrd
Okay, I'm with you guys! Plus a lot of others at work too, we're all gonna help motivate each other.

I'm 5' 1" and currently weigh 153lb (as of yesterday) I had gotten down to 147, but gained back some 'holiday weight'. I started this at 161 lbs. My goal is to be 130lbs (at the most) by December 31, 2008!!! I'm giving myself a lot of time because I've been working at this for 8 years now.

This pic did me in, look at those rolls!!!!

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5478/imgp4745yy5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And, the dreaded bathingsuit pic! :yell: (Yeah, it's a tankini with a skirt, there's just too much cellulite and stretch marks for a normal suit)

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5826/imgp4880gn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SARAH
HA HA HA....who can say their young child like low sodium V8 juice...I can.......I can....we had that with dinner tonight, she drank a whole glass of it :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6239568777

You have to sign up to facebook in order to join

YAYY KAYLA !!!

I'm in actually ;)

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
I can't answer for Poodletalk but I'm about the same. I do eat pepperoni on my pizza , I do eat beacon 2-3 times a year , I put "cretons" on my toasts on week ends and will eat chicken once every 3-4 weeks. Other than that , I don't eat meat.

Oh yes , and I sometimes have a Big Mac but that doesn't count because I don't think there's any real meat in there !

OK, sounds like I did when I was on the Natural Hygiene lifestyle for 4 years and doing great (no excess fat at all) before I was corrupted by my ex :mad::yell::frustrated:

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
I don't think this is why I don't have excess fat , my secret : stress :laughing:

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
If that was the case, why aren't I skin in bones....Oh ya...My name is karen and I am a raging emotional eater....:(
At least now when I snack, I have nothing greasy. LOL

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
And stress affects us differntly, some get skinny some get fat ... I'm the fat stresser :sad: grr, not from eating either, it's just the chemical reaction stress has in my body. The secret? Lose the stress :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
If that was the case, why aren't I skin in bones....Oh ya...My name is karen and I am a raging emotional eater....:(

:laughing: but I am not emotional , I am stressed , not the same. I don't have emotions :evil:

Anyway , just wanted to say, you go girls , it's a good thing I don't have to diet because I have zero motivation for stuff like that. :shrug:

But I'm good at motivating others :thumbs up

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Awwww Frenchy, our bestest cheerleader!!:)

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
OK, you're our CHEERLEADER officially as of NOW !! :laughing:

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM

I think I'm an emotional eater too, so how do you get over it?
How so you stop the emotional eating rollercoaster?

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Awwww Frenchy, our bestest cheerleader!!:)

OK, you're our CHEERLEADER officially as of NOW !! :laughing:

wooohooo ! http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/3.gif

and this is for those who will want to quit

http://bestsmileys.com/whipping/1.gif

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM

You get a punching bag http://bestsmileys.com/kick/1.gif

:thumbs up

Byrd
January 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Oooohhh Frenchy, whip me, whip me. It's time for a sexy party!

happycats
January 2nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
You get a punching bag http://bestsmileys.com/kick/1.gif

I don,t have one, will my DH do:D.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Oooohhh Frenchy, whip me, whip me. It's time for a sexy party!

I don,t have one, will my DH do:D.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind :D

http://bestsmileys.com/whipping/2.gif

rrreeerrrr

Byrd
January 2nd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Is there any way to keep track of how we're all doing, like a chart or something that we could all log into and see how it's going. Then we can use that to give some motivation to those that are not doing so well, and congrats to those that are?

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Honestly I am not over it....But what I am over is eating the grease food as comfort. If I want to snack because of stress or emotional reasons I grab popcorn. LOL, or carrots, low fat cheese and crackers.
Emotional eating is one of the hardest things to get over. For most you never get over it, hence the weight gain back. It is about knowing you are doing it, and make healthier choices.

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Is there any way to keep track of how we're all doing, like a chart or something that we could all log into and see how it's going. Then we can use that to give some motivation to those that are not doing so well, and congrats to those that are?

We could set up a poll weekly?

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
BTW Rottielover, you look great in that dress picture :thumbs up.

When I get home I'm gonna post a before pic :eek: and then a pic of myself where I would like to be once again :o. This aging thing sucks :frustrated: seems like it gets harder every year so I am determined that by the time I wave goodbye to my 40th year (Sept) that I will be once again happy with my super strong, fit body :thumbs up.

Stacer
January 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
My weigh in:yell:

I'm 5'3" and 165lbs. Most people don't believe that I weigh that much because I've been "blessed" with very evenly distributed fat. Even I don't notice the weight gain. I recently noticed some stretch marks starting on my hips, that freaked me right out.
When I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) almost 5 years ago, I weighed about 115-120lbs, my healthy weight. By the time we got married 2 years later, I was up to 140lbs. I'm not sure what I've done differently in the last 5 years. I have an active job, I play sports, I don't eat horribly. I'm almost wondering if something's up with my thyroid.

Anyways, I turn 30 in April, so I want to at least feel good about how I look.

I don't have a pic that properly conveys my beefyness.

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Can I join :o ?

Careful to not burn too many calories jumping around :laughing: .

HAH !!

Did you know, that statistically, only 5% of those who start on a fatloss journey on January 1st actually complete it?

So today we're the 2nd...the percentage ought to be higher ;) .

I don't like the tredmill since I feel guilty when I know my dog is waiting for me to take her for a walk.

Someone once told me, if you have a dog having a gym membership is a waste of money. Everything you can do at the gym you can do with your dog.

This is very true IMO. I haven't weighed myself since I had my firstborn...I had put on 75lbs :o . 1 year later, I started walking a minimum of 2-3 hours per day. Without changing my diet I went from a size 16 :eek: to a size 3 within 9 months. That was 16 years ago.

I'm 5'1 1/2" and have no idea how much I weigh :shrug:. Probably around 125lbs but I know I should be at about 105 for my frame. I still can't weigh myself for fear of becoming obsessed with a scale :o so I think I'll just use measurements to guage how I'm faring.

My problem is the quantity and quality of food I eat. Hubby's 6' and weighs 230lbs and I eat twice the amount he does :o . A bag of Oreos can be an after dinner snack for me :o . Someone mentioned binge eating here or on the other thread? I'd like to learn more about that.

Can we use a chart of body measurements in addition to weights? Sometimes a scale is not always as accurate to your actual size as muscle does weigh considerably more than fat. It may seem one has reached a plateau when in fact their body shape is still changing/improving.

Rottielover
January 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with inches being lost more important. Last month, when I saw the scale only budged 2 lbs, I freaked. But when she was continuing my weigh in, I noticed I still lost 2 inches off my body.
I say this now...My I admit, I am still kinda obsessed with my scale. :(

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I am still kinda obsessed with my scale. :(

And that can get pretty scary...for me anyways...it nearly threw me into a severe depression. I know the hormonal fluctuations of pregnancy and giving birth had a lot to do with it, but that scale was my tormentor :o .

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Honestly I am not over it....But what I am over is eating the grease food as comfort. If I want to snack because of stress or emotional reasons I grab popcorn. LOL, or carrots, low fat cheese and crackers.
Emotional eating is one of the hardest things to get over. For most you never get over it, hence the weight gain back. It is about knowing you are doing it, and make healthier choices.

We were just watching the taped Law and Order from yesterday. At one point, Elliot is easting a yummy-looking pizza and what's-her-name ... Olivia, was eating a cookie and a sundae with chocolate syrup! Grrr. Lewis went to get ... snack carrots for him, an orange for me :D :thumbs up

BTW Rottielover, you look great in that dress picture :thumbs up.

When I get home I'm gonna post a before pic :eek: and then a pic of myself where I would like to be once again :o. This aging thing sucks :frustrated: seems like it gets harder every year so I am determined that by the time I wave goodbye to my 40th year (Sept) that I will be once again happy with my super strong, fit body :thumbs up.

AGEING ???? Hey, I'm 48 kiddo! At 46 I went from 43 to 25% bodyfat. So lose that "age" excuse, ok?

I agree with inches being lost more important. Last month, when I saw the scale only budged 2 lbs, I freaked. But when she was continuing my weigh in, I noticed I still lost 2 inches off my body.
I say this now...My I admit, I am still kinda obsessed with my scale. :(

Scale weight. Tell me, do you wear a T-shirt with your weight printed on it? No? Me neither. What we do wear, are clothes that show off our figure (once we get it back that is). No one can tell how heavy you might be, they just see the size!

When I was at those nice 15% fat, I still weighed 155 lbs, because there was just a lot of muscle. Muscle, for the same weight, is smaller than fat. So, with more muscle helping you burn more of our food and your residing bodyfat, you can weigh the same as before (or almost) but look so much skinnier.

Measure clothes, tape-measure, bodyfat with calipers, and use the scale for reference only.

Byrd
January 2nd, 2008, 09:14 PM

True, for example tonight I did rowing, curls, and triceps, all while playing tug-o-war with poochy. I figure I probably get about 60lbs resistance when she's tugging.... dragging her 40lbs plus her pulling away.

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I went to the gym, I did 40 minutes on the stairmaster between level 5-7. I also did abit of weights and sit ups.

I will probably go the gym tomorrow for cardio. The way I look at it, if I can work for 8 hours, I can excerise for miniumn of one hour.

coppperbelle
January 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I am just seeing this thread and I think it is an excellent idea. Last April I decided that I was fed up and was going to start eating properly. I hoped in the process I would lose some weight and I have. I do not weigh myself because the numbers send me into a panic. I went to Weight Watchers a couple of times and would panic on weigh in days so I decided that I was not going to be a slave to the scale. I know I have lost weight because I had to buy new clothes, nothing fit. Judging by the size I am wearing I estimate I lost about 30 pounds so far.
I watched Dr. Phil today and he said diets don't work. Something like 97% of dieters fail and end up gaining weight.
You guys are extremely brave for posting bathing suit pictures. I certainly won't be doing that but I will be watching this thread and watching what I eat along with all of you.
One thing that I have learned that really helped was to eat small portions, every two hours whether I was hungry or not. I know all diet programs tell you this but it is so true.
Good luck to everyone and if you fall off the wagon, don't dwell on it, just hop back on.

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Most people don't believe that I weigh that much because I've been "blessed" with very evenly distributed fat. Even I don't notice the weight gain

I can relate!!! When I tell few people how much I weigh, their reaction is: You can't weigh that much and YOU say you take a size 8 even though you weigh that much?????

When I told hubby my weight, he was shocked. He said, "you only weigh x amount less them me!! There's not much difference between hubby's weight and mine. :yell:

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
97% vegetarian ... what do you put in the last 3% ?

At home, we have no red meat at all, hubby is 100% vegetarian. Since he plays alot of sports, we eat fish. Scampies, salmon or tuna steaks.

If I go to my parents house, I will eat chicken or turkey. Basically that's it.

Once in awhile, I may be tempted to eat sausages...but that's on a rare ocassion.

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Once in awhile, I may be tempted to eat sausages...but that's on a rare ocassion.

With or without sourkraut :rolleyes: :D .

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I went to the gym, I did 40 minutes on the stairmaster between level 5-7. I also did abit of weights and sit ups.

Woohoo! Way to start with a bang!

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Ok, this was from this summer so pretty close to now and the other is what I would like to get back towards (about 6 years ago)!
My picture strategy this summer was to hide behind Riley when I could :D. I would like to lose 30-35 pounds before September.

32238 32239

SARAH
January 3rd, 2008, 07:20 AM
At home, we have no red meat at all, hubby is 100% vegetarian. Since he plays alot of sports, we eat fish. Scampies, salmon or tuna steaks. What I once read as being called a "Vegeaquarian" lol

If I go to my parents house, I will eat chicken or turkey. Basically that's it.

With or without sourkraut :rolleyes: :D .

Actually, raw sauerkraut is really good for you! Although ... I much prefer it cooked!!

Ok, this was from this summer so pretty close to now and the other is what I would like to get back towards (about 6 years ago)!
My picture strategy this summer was to hide behind Riley when I could :D. I would like to lose 30-35 pounds before September.

I can SO relate to the partially hidden pics! I'd stand behing the kids, behind the car or open car door, sit with a cat or two on my lap ... anything to hide all but my face (and even that I'd prefer to leave out of the pics!)

Kristin7
January 3rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe I'll go to the gym today... just have been so tired the last 2-3 weeks due to a bout of insomnia, plus the holidays threw me off. Amazing what even a couple nights of decent sleep with do for me, that I am even thinking to go to the gym. My bf got me a new gym bag for xmas, it's very cool, lots of compartments for dirty clothes, shoes, etc. Looking forward to using it and getting rid of my old annoying too small bag!

SARAH
January 3rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Kristin7, exercise will actually wake you up, give you more energy. Inactivity will make you more sluggish. Also, activity will help you sleep better, naturally.

Have fun with your new gym bag!

poodletalk
January 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
ok...I went to the gym last night, had a great workout.

Came home, had a bowl of home made veggie soup, small piece of fish and some veggies.

I went to bed around 11pm and couldn't sleep. I was to wound up from my work out, I finally fell asleep around 2:30 AM. I slept in and now I am running semi late for work. (thankfully I have flexi hours)

CearaQC
January 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM

I was an emotional eater as well, but for the most part it has gone away. Lost 50 pounds without dieting. Just lost urges for junk food, most sweets. Junk food or eating out at restaurants makes me very ill so I have to avoid them and cook everything from scratch at home. Which meant learning how to cook a LOT of stuff. My main weaknesses now are Coca Cola and getting the munchies and end up eating more than I should, like extra potatoes or pasta. Just too yummy to limit carbs. I really feel I could get back to my high school weight if I was just a lot more active. That way I can still eat the foods I enjoy.

I was very unhappy with my life for a few years... my job sucked, wasn't happy with any guy I was dating, my parents were a royal pain and I had this nagging urge to move. Once I did that, things started to fall into place.

So I'd say do some soul searching and find out what part of you isn't being "fed." Something you regret doing? Something you would like to do but not brave enough to act? Fear issues? Working through those types of issues are NOT fun, but will have tremendous healing. :2huggers:

The most important thing is to love yourself as you are now and not what you would like to be in another place/time.

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
I was an emotional eater as well, but for the most part it has gone away. Lost 50 pounds without dieting. Just lost urges for junk food, most sweets. Junk food or eating out at restaurants makes me very ill so I have to avoid them and cook everything from scratch at home. Which meant learning how to cook a LOT of stuff. My main weaknesses now are Coca Cola and getting the munchies and end up eating more than I should, like extra potatoes or pasta. Just too yummy to limit carbs. I really feel I could get back to my high school weight if I was just a lot more active. That way I can still eat the foods I enjoy.

I was very unhappy with my life for a few years... my job sucked, wasn't happy with any guy I was dating, my parents were a royal pain and I had this nagging urge to move. Once I did that, things started to fall into place.

So I'd say do some soul searching and find out what part of you isn't being "fed." Something you regret doing? Something you would like to do but not brave enough to act? Fear issues? Working through those types of issues are NOT fun, but will have tremendous healing. :2huggers:

The most important thing is to love yourself as you are now and not what you would like to be in another place/time.

Thank you!
It's hard, I think it all started when I quit smoking in 1999, I used smoking for everything, stress, dieting, anger, It worked like a charm. Since quitting smoking, food has become that replacement, although it didn't start out that way. I was so afraid of gaining weight when I quit smoking that I went to the gym and worked out at least an hour a day, but nothing seemed to work, I still have to have something......I just don't know.....after dinner I would just smoke, since I quit I just eat until bedtime!!:eek: Ii'm fine all day, it's just from dinner time until bedtime that I do mst of my damage.

clm
January 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not entering this challenge, too afraid I'd just be setting myself up for failure. :laughing:
Now if the fat that's falls from all you guys finds it way to me and adds to my already big enough problem, I'm not going to be happy. :laughing:

krdahmer
January 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ok... here it goes. I started somewhere in the 360+ lb neighbourhood, can't be sure, because not even my doc could weigh me at the time, talk about embarassing.

As of today... 316 lbs , estimated body fat 29%, and a BMI of 46.:sad::o

The #'s that concern me more... sugar of 8-10 (fasting- should be between 5-7), cholesterol # controlled by meds, and 1 miscarriage.

My goal is to be mid 200's (40-50 lbs) by the end of summer so that hubby and I can try again for a baby. (would wait to get lower, but want to have children before 35) (will most likely have to be on insulin before during and after but long term goal is to get off the needles as well :thumbs up)

How I am going to try: by exersising more often (or just at all would be a good start:rolleyes:), by continuing to work on eating according to the Food Guide and continuing to work on my BED, using the tools I got at group.

(oh and here is a link to the chart I use in Excel to figure out the fat/BMI http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010565841033.aspx?pid=CT101443491033 )

I have started the year right, I have an agenda where I am keeping track of my sugars, insulin use, temperature, cycles, and meals. I see my doc regularly to check my kidneys and liver and cholesterol.

The only thing I just can't get moving on is the exersise. I am really limited in what types of exersise I can do, so far treadmill, sit-ups and some light weights are ok. I don't have $ for a gym so that is also all the equipment I have to work with. (In the summer I like to swim and my brother's in-laws have invited me to use their pool whenever I like so summer exersise won't be an issue- I don't like public pools though or wearing a bathing suit where someone I know and am not related to might see, trust me it's scary...but doesn't stop me from enjoying the beach at my in-laws and parading around in my skirtini!!:D) I need to start slow as my ankles,shins and knees get hurt when I 'jump' into it. ( Have done that twice now, started to work out then hurt myself and ending up not being able to keep up with it.) Oh and because of my asthma, outdoor activities (hiking/walking, etc usually result in attacks). So I would appreciate any tips on that.

Ok so good luck to us all... and here is me about 20lbs ago...I would also like to not be able to block out an entire HONDA in a photo!!!:eek::laughing:

Ford Girl
January 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I too am an emotional eater, sometimes even a closet eater..and my genetics are agaisnt me as well...all the women are obese and the men are tall and thin. Not excuses, just what I deal with.

Today I have a very healthy meal plana nd will be walking the dog 5klm at a quick pace.

clm - don't be afraid, we will support you anyway we can. How do you know you will fail if you won't try? :D

poodletalk - Good job last night! Good effort! Hopefully tonight you can get some sleep! At least tomorrow is Friday!

Kristin7 - did you end up going?

krdahmer - welcome, I can relate to your story almost to a "T", welcome to the challange, we look forward to seeing the results of all your hard work!!

Have a great day everyone!! :thumbs up

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
wohoo went to the gym this morning...Boy did it feel good....Have not been able to go because of the damn holidays.

Ford Girl
January 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
wohoo went to the gym this morning...Boy did it feel good....Have not been able to go because of the damn holidays.

Excellent job Rottielover! 2 skinny thumbs up for you! :thumbs up :thumbs up

BTW - you looked really good in that dress picture....I bet you feel great too! Nothing like a sexy black dress to boost your confidence and keep you motivated! :highfive:

les
January 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hey =)

I just wanted to share something I've learned and my favorite "lifestyle" change. I started following the G.I. Diet about a year ago to become more healthy. I was watching my then boyfriend on it and he was dropping weight like I couldnt believe .. without much exercise at all!! (Okay ... without ANY exercise)

Anyways, it's totally what I would recommend for people trying to lose weight. These are the 2 books that I like the most:

http://www.amazon.ca/G-I-Diet-Green-Light-Permanent-Revised/dp/0679313680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199386965&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.ca/Living-G-I-Diet-Delicious-Strategies/dp/0679312536/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1199386965&sr=8-2

One of the most interesting things he says in one of them is:
" dieting has a far greater ipact on weight loss than exercise does. To give you some idea of how much exercise is required to lose just one pound of weight, have a look at the table below.

walking 4mph-brisk - 130 lbs person - 53 miles / 85km
160lb person - 42 miles / 67km
running 8 min/mile - 130 lb person - 36 miles / 58km
160lb person - 29 miles / 46km
cycling 12-14 mph - 130lb person - 96 miles / 154km
160lb person - 79 miles /127km
sex (moderate effort) - 130lb person - 79 times
160lb person - 64 times

He talks about how exercise is important in keeping weight off and says if you were to walk briskly for a half hour a day (every day) for one year you would burn up calories equalling twenty pounds of fat.

I like this "diet" because you NEVER feel hungry, you can eat all day ;) It's just a matter of what you eat. You never count calories or carb points.

He charts out food based on a red / yellow / green light system. Red you want to avoid .. yellow in moderation and green as much as you want. I also like that there are tons of recipes in those 2 books that are sooooo good. I like food with taste and I was sort of worried that these "healthy" recipes would taste like wood ;) and they don't. The best part ... I can make them (I suck in the kitchen ;)) They're easy and most are pretty fast.

My favorite part is that I eat more then I used to eat. Sometimes I feel like all I do all day is eat ;) He does it in a two part system: first stage is more strick because you're getting to your goal weight (he suggests cutting out all booze etc) then the next part is more lenient and you can indulge (occasionally) in those things you like.

=)

SARAH
January 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM

I too am an emotional eater, sometimes even a closet eater..and my genetics are agaisnt me as well...all the women are obese and the men are tall and thin. Not excuses, just what I deal with.

Today I have a very healthy meal plana nd will be walking the dog 5klm at a quick pace.

clm - don't be afraid, we will support you anyway we can. How do you know you will fail if you won't try? :D

poodletalk - Good job last night! Good effort! Hopefully tonight you can get some sleep! At least tomorrow is Friday!

Kristin7 - did you end up going?

krdahmer - welcome, I can relate to your story almost to a "T", welcome to the challange, we look forward to seeing the results of all your hard work!!

Have a great day everyone!! :thumbs up

I posted an article on emotional eating in the other threads guys, written by someone I trust totally as far as nutrition, fatloss and training goes.

Kristin7
January 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
I did go to the gym! 30 min of cardio - I can do more, but was having a hard time with the extremely dry air - my throat is sore and I feel like I"m coming down with something... everyone around me is sick so probably am. I'm off for home to make some nice hot soup to help me kick it! :sick:

that's interesting about the diet, les. But keep in mind about exercise, that a lot is not taken into account here because working out will increase your metabolic rate, especially if you lift weights and build muscle. If you work out, you will burn more fat simply by sitting around compared with if you don't work out. Losing weight isn't everything either because you can be skinny as a rail but still be unhealthy and have no muscle tone. I am one who appears to weigh much less than I do because I actually have some muscle, which weights more than fat. Losing inches is more important as is keeping your body healthy inside. I haven't read the books but sounds like the food is healthy to eat, so that's good. :thumbs up

les
January 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
That's definitely very true about exercise- I just wanted to point out because I hear many excuses about why people can't exercise ... bad knees, can't afford gym membership, no time, too cold outside etc and I just wanted to add that it is possible to get your weight down without much exercise and I honestly never realized how much you have to work out to burn a pound of fat!

G.I helps you lose pounds and inches and the books include alot more then I bothered to include in my post =)

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I just got back from the grocery store. bought all kinds of fresh fruit and veggies!!
I'm feeling really pumped about this!! and having all of you to chat with, and incourage, and get tips from is great!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

(okay que the cheerleader............oh Frenchy!!)

poodletalk
January 3rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
That's great happycats!!

Hubby knows I am trying to loose weight, he just came to tell me at the grocery store you an buy 2 bags of chocklate cookies for 2.00$!

I told him to go away...I don't want to hear about it.

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
It is so funny how many men really want and support the weight loss, but they sabotage you always.
I guess this is where I say thank god I am single, I can concentrate on me :)

poodletalk
January 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I think he's trying to make up for last night when I got mad at him. Everytime I wanted to eat or drink something besides water, he would say "DON'T" Do you know how much sugar or calories is in there?
In his defense when I got mad, he said he was trying to be a supportive coach.

Byrd
January 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I just got back from the grocery store. bought all kinds of fresh fruit and veggies!!
I'm feeling really pumped about this!! and having all of you to chat with, and incourage, and get tips from is great!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

:highfive:

I had a salad for dinner!!!

So, I'm getting alternating opinions, some are saying that losing 25lbs over a year is too slow, and others are saying that it's too much. :shrug:

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
I think he's trying to make up for last night when I got mad at him. Everytime I wanted to eat or drink something besides water, he would say "DON'T" Do you know how much sugar or calories is in there?
In his defense when I got mad, he said he was trying to be a supportive coach.

Your lucky!! Mine brings home chocolate and chips, when I tell him I am changing my eating habits ( I hate to say diet) :mad:
And when I get mad.....he says....."I didn't think you were serious":rolleyes:

Today I told him I was very serious and that no more junk food would be allowed on the house (he could stand to loose a few pounds too) !!

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
depends on how you want to lose it. A good weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs max a week loss. Anything over that is too fast. That weight will most likely gain back quick. As they say slow and steady wins the race. Just depends on your goals.

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Woohoo for all those staying on track today :thumbs up. I dragged my butt out this morning for a run with Riley. I had been running fairly regularly in the fall but pulled a hamstring in Dec so have just been taking it easy. So far so good, it is just a little tight tonight but not painful :).

Byrd - 25 lbs in a year is definately not to much. Safe weight loss is an average of 1-2 lbs per week. Some weeks the scale doesn't budge and then the next it is all of a sudden down 5 lbs :shrug:. Hormones definately play a roll week to week.

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM

So, I'm getting alternating opinions, some are saying that losing 25lbs over a year is too slow, and others are saying that it's too much. :shrug:

Great dinner choice:thumbs up I had tuna on whole wheat (hold the mayo)

I understand that 1 to 2 pounds per month or is it a week:shrug: is a healthy amount

Byrd
January 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
depends on how you want to lose it. A good weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs max a week loss. Anything over that is too fast. That weight will most likely gain back quick. As they say slow and steady wins the race. Just depends on your goals.

Yeah, that's what I thought. For the ones that say too slow I say I'm losing from 2-4 a month, and for the ones that say too fast I say the same thing only with the word "only" in there. :rolleyes:

I also don't want to lose too fast because of the clothing issue, right now my winter clothes fit, so I want them to fit for the rest of the season, then next fall I can get new ones, same with summer. It's too much money to have to replace your whole wardrobe and as much as I want to lose weight, I'm very concerned about that aspect. However, I'm still going to lose weight and just have a limited wardrobe for a while.

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Today I told him I was very serious and that no more junk food would be allowed on the house (he could stand to loose a few pounds too) !!

My hubby is one of those people that can eat whatever they want without any repercussions :frustrated:, plus he loves to have a sweet after every meal. Luckily most of the stuff he has doesn't tempt me very much except of course when he makes freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I figure one of those every now and then is ok though as long as I stop at one :o.

poodletalk
January 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
It's much easier to eat healthy when your the main person buying the groceries. For me, eating healthy at home isn't hard since hubby is always very aware about eating right.

The problem is when I am work, I work very close to all the resturants downtown and there not that expensive. I always get invited out for lunch or I have lunch meetings where the meals are already prepared. I tend to over eat at lunch.

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
With restaurants...What I do now is I eat until I am feeling full, then bring the ret home, and there you go, more meals already prepared. LOL

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
We don't often go out to restaurants so I do tend to have whatever I want when I do go there but I do skip the appy and usually share a desert with hubby when I am being good.

I very much subcribe to the theory where you are good 90% of the time. I find that I set one day (usually pizza day - Saturday) for whatever I want and then I am well behave the rest of the week. My problem lately has been that the one day has extended to one good day and 6 bad :frustrated::o.

I find sushi a great lunch for when I am out and about. I am pretty wimpy with my choices but avocado rolls or shrimp/avocado are my favorites.

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
I love sushi!!!
Another good out and about lunch choice is Subways veggie on whole wheat sub, I also really like Mcdonalds chicken ceasar salad (I go light on the dressing though)

TeriM
January 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I love the MacDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait :thumbs up.

happycats
January 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I love the MacDonald's fruit and yogurt parfait :thumbs up.
mmmmmm yeah that's great too.

I will miss the cinnimon bits though:sad: Oh well, they are artery clogging, heart stopping, fat producing crap:o

Doesn't Tim Hortons have a yogurt parfait like Mcdonalds?

Rottielover
January 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Oh that they do. I have always been a timmies fan :)

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

:sorry: got here late.

Here's to you gals for your first day : http://bestsmileys.com/ballons/7.gif you bet you can do this , woohoo ! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Sorry about that , you guys deserve better :

http://bestsmileys.com/ballons/3.gif

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
The only thing I just can't get moving on is the exersise. I am really limited in what types of exersise I can do, so far treadmill, sit-ups and some light weights are ok. I don't have $ for a gym so that is also all the equipment I have to work with. (In the summer I like to swim and my brother's in-laws have invited me to use their pool whenever I like so summer exersise won't be an issue- I don't like public pools though or wearing a bathing suit where someone I know and am not related to might see, trust me it's scary...but doesn't stop me from enjoying the beach at my in-laws and parading around in my skirtini!!:D) I need to start slow as my ankles,shins and knees get hurt when I 'jump' into it. ( Have done that twice now, started to work out then hurt myself and ending up not being able to keep up with it.) Oh and because of my asthma, outdoor activities (hiking/walking, etc usually result in attacks). So I would appreciate any tips on that.

Great job on all your hard work so far :thumbs up. I really think that walking is by far your best option. Is it possible to use an inhaler just before you start? I have a friend with asthma and that is what she does. Start with short walks and then work up to longer distances. Perhaps you could also look at getting a stationery bike? That would probably be easy on your joints. I'm sure as the weight comes off that a lot of issues like your asthma will get easier and your options will improve.

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 03:28 AM
.....I just don't know.....after dinner I would just smoke, since I quit I just eat until bedtime!!:eek: Ii'm fine all day, it's just from dinner time until bedtime that I do mst of my damage.

Herbal tea has often been my evening saviour! I make a cup of tea and then turn on the computer to pets.ca and voila .. the evening is done :D.

happycats
January 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Herbal tea has often been my evening saviour! I make a cup of tea and then turn on the computer to pets.ca and voila .. the evening is done :D.

Good idea, and I just bought some green tea! Thanks!

Sorry about that , you guys deserve better :

Thanks Frenchy!!!!

happycats
January 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Oh I forgot!!

GOOD MORNING FELLOW LIFESTYLE CHANGE BUDDIES!! :)

Hope everyone did great yesterday!
Today is a bright new healthy day:)

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
GOOD MORNING!

I had an excellent day yesterday, planned and tracked everything I ate, had a beef fajitia and salad for dinner and at 9:30 when I had an uncontrolable urge to eat I had a fresca instead! :highfive: I so could have ate the big bowl of choclate on the kitchen table, which is now on it's way to work with hubby!

I walked Dazy for 45 mins, I put her back pack on her for the first time with weight in it so it wasn't a super steady fast pace, she kept swinging around to see what was slushing around in her back pack!!! It was 2 cans of cranberries, which we dropped in the donations box at the co-op on our way home! LOL! I plan on doing that with all the bad food in the cupboard!! Plus I took down all the xmas decorations and put them down in storage so a bit of a work out there....

Sounds like everyone had an excellent day yesterday? For me, the hardest time is here...the weekend!

What healthy plans do everyone have for the weekend? I'm going skating I think, and maybe the dog park...

Stay strong today!!!! :grouphug:

SARAH
January 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I watched Dr. Phil today and he said diets don't work. Something like 97% of dieters fail and end up gaining weight.

Good luck to everyone and if you fall off the wagon, don't dwell on it, just hop back on.

97% fail mainly because they have no clear, motivational, written goals and they use fad diets (all grapfruit for example or some powder/liquid bought stuff, or pills).

Write down powerful goals (not in a negative tone like "I don't want to be ..." but POSITIVE and in the present tense! As in "I am happy to be ..." Also, make sure they are YOUR goals, not copied from someone else or something someone says you should have as a goal.

"Diet" wise, use whole foods (NO processed) and lean foods (chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, salmon (fatty, but it's healthy fat so go for it), lean cuts of beef and even pork, eggs; all fruit and veggies, including avocado (healthy fat) and bananas; virgin olive oil, use a Tbsp of either flax seed oil or UDO's choice oil once a day (fine in salad dressings). And whole grain breads, pasta, rice; potatoes and yams baked.

Oh, and limit the daity while you are working on shedding the fat.

It is so funny how many men really want and support the weight loss, but they sabotage you always.
I guess this is where I say thank god I am single, I can concentrate on me :)

For sure. My ex would even bring me candy-bars to the gym while I was there working! Behind his back, I threw them in the garbage, because that's what they were anyway!

Great dinner choice:thumbs up I had tuna on whole wheat (hold the mayo)

I understand that 1 to 2 pounds per month or is it a week:shrug: is a healthy amount

1-2 lbs/ week is fine. The trouble with losing more than 2 lbs is that you most likely then lose muscle mass. With less muscle, once you have dropped to the weight goal you had, you can't expect to eat as much as before, because it's the muscles that burn the calories, not the fat.

You can in fact drop total weight by say 20 lbs but only have lost 5 lbs of fat and 15 of water and muscle, because you didn't give your muscles enough nutrition and training (as in weights).

SARAH
January 4th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I also don't want to lose too fast because of the clothing issue, right now my winter clothes fit, so I want them to fit for the rest of the season, then next fall I can get new ones, same with summer. It's too much money to have to replace your whole wardrobe and as much as I want to lose weight, I'm very concerned about that aspect. However, I'm still going to lose weight and just have a limited wardrobe for a while.

I recently found a great little store, "Top Ten" ... not one item of clothing is over $10.- OK, admittedly they have some weird stuff, but if you look they also have some nice sweaters/tops, I got a dress, a couple of skirts, and I'm working on getting down to their jeans sizes! Or you have the thrift shops (go to the next town if you don't like to be seen shopping there), where I ususally drop off the too-large clothes as they get too large.

My hubby is one of those people that can eat whatever they want without any repercussions :frustrated:, plus he loves to have a sweet after every meal. Luckily most of the stuff he has doesn't tempt me very much except of course when he makes freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I figure one of those every now and then is ok though as long as I stop at one :o.

I set aside one meal twice a week for a treat. In other words, with 5 meals a day, 7 days a week, out of 35 meals I only "cheat" twice, so percentage wise ... pretty good. I know some people suggest a cheat DAY, but to me that's too risky, because you'd end up with a Bagel B.E.L.T from Tim Hortons at breakfast, a Big Mac for lunch and pizza for supper, with deserts! Too much fat and junk in one day!

I love sushi!!!
Another good out and about lunch choice is Subways veggie on whole wheat sub, I also really like Mcdonalds chicken ceasar salad (I go light on the dressing though)

Trouble with sushi: white rice.
Trouble with Subway ... their "whole wheat" bread is caramel colored white bread, made to look brown!

Great job on all your hard work so far :thumbs up. I really think that walking is by far your best option. Is it possible to use an inhaler just before you start? I have a friend with asthma and that is what she does. Start with short walks and then work up to longer distances. Perhaps you could also look at getting a stationery bike? That would probably be easy on your joints. I'm sure as the weight comes off that a lot of issues like your asthma will get easier and your options will improve.

You could also start with bodyweight exercises, like push-ups (don't scream yet, there are ways :) either standing pushing off a wall, or on the floor but with the weight on your knees rather than you toes and also with your hands higher than your knees (like on a step); squats - no need for added weights in the beginning; lunges -same thing, add weights when it gets easy without; light weights for bicep curls, and dips from a bench/chair either with your feet on the floor or on a facing chair.

SARAH
January 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
GOOD MORNING ALL :)

Up and at'em once again!

I had a good day yesterday, salad and soup for supper, and chicken with beans (refried, more protein than the green), then a coffee with the TV.

Today I removed all traces of Christmas, except the lights outside on the bush, they can wait till Sunday. Reason I didn't wait till Sunday for the rest is that the cats will be alone at home for a day and a half, and I didn't want to risk having breakage that would 10 possibly hurt them and 20 upset me even if they didn't get hurt.

Weekend plan is to be as reasonable as I possibly can since I won't be in charge of meals as of tonight supper and until Sunday lunch. We'll probably stop at a McD on the way up tonight, for a pee and a coffee :D that's all we ever do there.

SARAH
January 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Alternative Eating:
Yerba Mate Tea: New Kid on the Block
By Dr. Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS

After water, tea is the most consumed beverage in the world. And it’s probably also the healthiest. For years we’ve heard about the cancer-fighting benefits of green tea, and the latest research shows that black tea, oolong tea and white tea are also great for you. Now there’s a new kid on the tea block, and it’s getting a lot of attention. It’s called yerba mate, and it’s being touted as the next great tea, with claims ranging from high antioxidant content to cancer-fighting ability. What’s the truth?

All our usual teas are made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, whereas yerba mate comes from an entirely different plant — Ilex paraguariensis. The mate tea comes mainly from four countries in South America: Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay, and in fact is the national drink in the latter two. And, yes, it does deserve it’s growing reputation as a superfood.

A recent study by Elivira de Mejia, Ph.D. tested various forms of the tea using two sophisticated tests for antioxidants called the ORAC test and the DPBH test. In both, dangerous free radicals (rogue oxygen molecules which damage your cells and DNA) are exposed to different amounts of a compound (in this case yerba mate tea) and researchers measure the ability of the compound to “squelch” or deactivate the free radicals. How well they do is a measure of their antioxidant capacity. “What we’ve seen in our research is that some types of yerba mate tea are even higher in antioxidants than green tea”, Dr. de Mejia told me.

Polyphenols, healthy compounds found in plants, are responsible for the antioxidant activity of yerba mate.

Dr. de Mejia explained that antioxidant power is only part of the story. “Matta tea in general contains high amounts of chlorogenic acid, a very powerful plant compound with antioxidant and possibly other healthy properties. And it also contains substantial amounts of caffeine, sometimes higher than coffee.” How can this be a good thing? “Actually caffeine is an interesting molecule”, she explained. “Caffeine has been shown in some studies to have a preventative effect on diabetes and Parkinson’s. And sometimes there are synergistic effects between the caffeine and the antioxidants.”

Catechins are another class of plant compounds that have been found to have significant health benefits including possibly anti-cancer activiy; they’re present in green tea but essentially absent in yerba mate. Nonetheless, there is some hope that yerba mate may have anti-cancer activity anyway. “We have done studies using mouse cancer cells in which we exposed them to different concentrations of matta and the cells died,” Dr. Mejia explained. She pointed out that the possible anti-cancer activity of yerba mate tea may or may not be related to its antioxidant capacity. “It may be due to some other mechanism not yet identified.”

More research is needed, but so far -- if you don’t mind the caffeine -- yerba mate sounds like a winner.

Note: to duplicate the effects of Dr. Mejia’s study using teabags, you would have to use 4-5 teabags. It’s a strong taste, but many people love it.

(Yerba Mate tea can be enjoyed both hot and cold. Several commercial brands are also available with a delicate fruit flavor.)

[Ed. note: Dr. Bowden is a nationally known expert on weight loss, nutrition and health. He’s a board certified nutrition specialist with a Master’s degree in psychology. Dr. Bowden is also a life coach, motivational speaker, former personal trainer and author of the award-winning book, Living the Low Carb Life. His new book, The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth was published January 1, 2008. For more information, click here now.]

External Sponsorship
50 Years of Back Pain Gone in Just Days

Jerry Tarman had suffered from chronic back pain on and off for over 50 years. Like most people, he had tried it all... chiropractors, physical therapy, he even overdosed on tylenol but nothing gave him lasting relief until he discovered muscle balance therapy.

Unlike most treatments which only deliver temporary relief, if any at all, muscle balance therapy delivers lasting relief to 8 out of 10 people who use it because it addresses the underlying cause of the pain, not just the symptoms.

If you suffer from any type of back pain, neck pain or sciatica, I urge you to learn more about this breakthrough new treatment.

Click here NOW to learn more...

Recipes & Nutrition:
Artichoke and Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
By Kelley Herring

These savory veggie appetizers are a nutritional powerhouse and a real crowd pleaser. Try using herbed or pepper-encrusted goat cheese for even more flavorful results.

Serves: 12

Time to Table: 25 minutes

Healing Nutrient Spotlight
Good source of calcium, selenium, fiber, protein

Ingredients
24 large organic white button mushrooms
1/4 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups canned, quartered organic artichoke hearts
2 cloves minced organic garlic
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated organic nutmeg
8 ounces organic goat cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons grated organic Asiago cheese

Preparation
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place mushrooms in a large plastic food storage bag. Drizzle in just enough extra-virgin olive oil to coat – about 1/4 cup. Shake the mushrooms to coat and scatter out onto a cookie sheet. Roast 10 minutes, round-side up. Season with salt and pepper and flip over. Toss drained, quartered artichokes with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, nutmeg, goat cheese, and parsley. Generously fill the mushroom caps. Top the artichokes with shredded Asiago cheese and return to oven. Cook mushrooms 5 minutes more to melt cheese and set filling. Serve warm.

Nutrition Information
160 calories, 13 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 7.5 g monounsaturated fats, 1 g polyunsaturated fats, 17 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fiber, 2 g sugars, 5 g protein

[Ed. Note: Kelley Herring is the Founder & CEO of Healing Gourmet, a multimedia company that educates on how foods promote health and protect against disease. She is also the creator of Healing Gourmet's Personalized Nutrition Software and Editor-in-Chief of the Healing Gourmet book series published by McGraw-Hill, including Eat to Fight Cancer, Eat to Beat Diabetes, Eat to Lower Cholesterol and Eat to Boost Fertility. For more information, click here.]

les
January 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Oh can I do my meals from yesterday too????

I believe different .... I try to have a little protein with every meal .... protein is brain food! And it keeps you feeling full longer then carbs or fat. (Of course, it should be the right kind of protein; lean meats without fat, skinless poultry, fish (no batter), beans, low fat dairy like skim milk. low-fat yogurt etc)

Here's day in the life of the g.i. diet:

Morning:

energy drink: glass of crystal light with 1 scoop greens+ extra energy (berry flavored!), 1 scoop goat protein powder, 1 tbsp flax seed oil

1/2 cup of fat free yogurt with one large granny smith apple

coffee with skim milk / splenda

mid morning: 1 apple bran muffin (home made / no preservative)

Lunch:

steak sandwich: small amount of thinly sliced left over steak on 12 Grain Bread with a bit of non-hydrogenated margarine

mid afternoon snack: 1 apple bran muffin

Dinner: salad (mixed baby greens with carrot, celery, broccoli, onion, peppers)
whole wheat pasta
fried in a tiny bit of canola oil spray .... 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 red onion - - added 2 tbsp store bought teriyaki sauce

put veggies with pasta and I call it my stir fry (sometimes I include chicken breast)

evening snack: 1/2 yogurt with some manadrin oranges

Sometimes I even snack twice in the evenings if I'm hungry (usually another muffin .. I'm obsessed with them!! ) =) That's the daily amount I need to eat to keep my weight .... I'm 5'4" - 116 pounds ... that's why I find this diet to be magical .... and I love that I'm never forced to go hungry ... I like to eat ;)

Stacer
January 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Sounds like everyone's got a plan, great job! Good luck to us all! I think checking in here and talking about our progress will definitely make a difference.

I too can relate to the spouse unwittingly sabotaging my efforts.

Example: I'm cuting out all caffeine, including my beloved tea. We had salmon steaks, beans and spinach salad with flax oil and apple cider vinegar dressing (surprisingly tasty) the other night for dinner, he rarely drinks tea, but after dinner he went and put the kettle on, then made himself a cup. As he's walking towards me, he says "I hope you don't think I'm doing this because you can't have one, but I read that having a tea after eating salmon helps to flush the mercury from the salmon out of your body". Which might be true, but c'mon!

I've been a bit lax the last 2 days because of a bad headache, so I haven't been feeling up to doing things properly. Today I'm back on the horse. I had a fruit smoothie for breakfast with blueberries, flax oil and protein powder in it. Took my supplements. Now to figure out lunch.

happycats
January 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM
:mad:Example: I'm cuting out all caffeine, including my beloved tea. We had salmon steaks, beans and spinach salad with flax oil and apple cider vinegar dressing (surprisingly tasty) the other night for dinner, he rarely drinks tea, but after dinner he went and put the kettle on, then made himself a cup. As he's walking towards me, he says "I hope you don't think I'm doing this because you can't have one, but I read that having a tea after eating salmon helps to flush the mercury from the salmon out of your body". Which might be true, but c'mon!

LOL, sounds like mine!!!:frustrated:

I got so mad the other day I called him a "chubby chaser" (men who like BIG girls) :frustrated:. He was upset, and asked how I ever got that idea!!
I told him if he kept thrawting my efforts to get healthy, then he must love fat, and I would get bigger then a house if that's what he really wants !!!

Ford Girl
January 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
My DH is as good as I am, if I am doig well, he does too, he's the cheapest bugger out there, he'd rather eat at home or home made lunches then pay to go out...so with that being said, it's all on my to keep us both on track. No problem. :thumbs up

Today, I have a great meal plan....

Breakfast - small coffee with c and s, yogurt, 2 xmas manderines.

Snack - 10 almonds, 10 dried apricots, green tea.

Lunch - small salad with mixed greans - cucs, tomatos, .5 oz of shredded
lite cheese, lite home made dill dressing, and a small whole wheat wrap
with turkey, lite mayo, 1/4 of an avacado, honey mustard and an apple.

Snack - blueberry apple sauce and green tea..

Supper - big mixed greens salad with chicken breast cut in strips, small
whole wheat croutons, lite feta cheese, peppers and olives. Lite greek
dressing!!

I am going to try and not have the few beers I would normally have - will be hard, we start working in the garage and the beer just apears out of no where?!?! That majic beer fridge! LOL!, and try not to snack too much. I am going skating and to the HS this weekend, plus cleaning....try to stay active!

Good work everyone, keep it up! And don't let the weekend or anything else let you lose sight of your goals!

Ford Girl
January 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Good morning everyone!!! It's the weekend and I am still on track! I had a great dinner last night and walked the dog for 45 mins at a good pace! AND I didnt snack last night or have any booze! That's pretty good for me on a Friday! :highfive:

I just had a smoothie with: skim milk, protien powder, activa yogurt and strawberries! YUM! I gave one to DH too, he drank it and seemed to like it. I am going to have a coffee and start my day!

I took shrimp out for dinner!

I am going to the humane society today, thats a bit of activity, but my main exercise today is skating! Will be going this evening with DH and friends!

Whats everyone doing today? Think thin! :grouphug:

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hey guys, so far for breaky I had 2 plain rice cakes with low fat PB and low cal strawberry jam, and homemade fruit salad.
Snack low fat yogurt, and a coffee
Lunch I had, grill cheese on my grill with no butter, nothing used, with a v8 juice and a couple of baked fries, stole from my daughter. LOL
No gym today, but I pulled kayla in her tobaggan for 30 mins picking up a parcel. LOL
after lunch going to the park to walk around and do the same thing :)

poodletalk
January 5th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I had two good days as well.....

Yesterday I had muslik cereral and coffee.
Lunch...salad with abit of tuna. (really small salad..)
Supper: I had a bowl of scratella Soup, (Italian, broth and bit of eggs) and piece of pizza.

Today: I had muslik cereral...with coffee..and piece of whole grain toast nothing on it.

Went to a spinning class for an hour...really tough... Then I did some stretches after the class...

Lunch: I am going to have a salad with tuna and piece of fruit...

Well I have to go...I have to make my salad....then walk the dog...

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hi, I'm Byrd and I'm now down to 151.

We are all kicking each other's butts at work. Too many people bringing in treats they got over Christmas, those of us losing weight get mad at them.

Still on track. Eating less (which is my main problem, portion control) and doing pushups and walking etc, took mom's two boys and Willow for an hour long one yesterday, they loved it because mom can't walk them anymore.

Congrats everyone for keeping on track, and thanks for the recipes and ideas. :thumbs up

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Started holidays at 191.5, end holidays at 191.5.
I am not disappointed, actually I am very happy that I did not gain anything.
Today no Gym, but as for exercise, I walked with pulling kayla in a sled for 30 mins, and also walked for 40 mins in a huge park with harley pulling kayla in a sled. ( harley only pulled 10 mins) my mom pulled the rest. LOL, I walked playing with the dog. LOL
so total, i walked a little over 1 hour today.
As for eating. I did very well too.
I am looking forward to next weigh in at curves.
On the 6th of Feb. My goal is to be 185 LBS. let you know how that goes

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM
:thumbs up You didn't gain any over the holidays. I started the holidays at 148! I need to now work harder to get back down to that and the fact that I should be around the 146 mark by now. :rolleyes:

poodletalk
January 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Went to the gym this morning, had an ok work out nothing special.

I did a stretch class for an hour, it felt good. Then i did the stairmaster for 30 minutes level 5 and the bike for 10 minutes. (I only have 2 hours free parking per day...)

For breakfast I had my usual, Musliex cereral with a bannana and coffee.

Snack an orange

Yesterday for supper, I had a salad with abit of pasta.

Rottielover
January 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Another good morning for me girls...

I had a banana and my rices cakes with PB and jam, coffee.
Lunch had toasted whole wheat sandwhich with low fat PB and banana. And coffee.

As for exercise...I went to the park took Harley sledding. Walked 30 mins, then played 15 :) fun..fun.. Harley is wiped out now :)

Byrd
January 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I was a good girl. I had a salad and Nestle Zero iced tea for dinner. I took Willow for a long walk (I really hope it doesn't rain all week like the predictions) and went shopping as well.

poodletalk
January 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I took Maggie for a long walk last night and we played soccer in the snow.

Supper: I had a tuna steak along with some baked potatoes and a bowl of home made veggie soup.

Today...I won't be going to the gym since I have a dentist appoitment at 7pm but I will stay on track with my meals.

SARAH
January 7th, 2008, 08:24 AM
http://www.naturalhealthontheweb.com/arthritis/green-tea.html

http://www.naturalhealthontheweb.com/eft/therapy.html

http://naturalhealthontheweb.com/mangano-minute/blogs/?p=115

http://naturalhealthontheweb.com/mangano-minute/blogs/?p=114

Just some info I got in last night. I've only read this material rapidly so far, but have saved every web page for future reference.

Weekend not too bad, 1½ hour brisk walk on trails and slushy roads Saturday morning, and healthy foods all weekend, if in too-large quantities :frustrated:

Back on track today with a first workout:
5 minute warm-up on elliptical
Chest:
Pushups (12 - 10 - 8)
Db press + flyes 15 lbs Dbs (12 - 10 - 8) (superset)
Shoulders (triset):
Rear delt raise 10 lbs Dbs (12 - 10 - 8) +
Front raise 5 lbs Dbs (12 - 10 - 8) +
Side lateral raise 10 lbs Dbs (12) - 7.5 lbs (10) - 5 lbs (8)
20 minutes cardio on the elliptical

(12-10-8 = reps)

Tomorrow: biceps, triceps, abs; and cardio on the stair machine.

Love4himies
January 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I am rooting for you guys! You can do it, think of the rewards when you are done!

I lost about 60lbs 3 years ago and have managed to keep it off (size 18 down to 8). It is a constant struggle as I have a tendancy to gain very quickly. As soon as I am up 5lbs, I cut back on my eating to loose it.

My secret, bought myself a good quality eliptical machine to put in front of my TV in the basement and work out religously (now only maintenace 4x per week, 45 minutes each time). That hour is going to pass whether I am sitting on my as$ or working out (quote from dr. phil) so I choose to spend it working out. Found a time that worked for me and stuck to it. I also gave up eating out, restaurant food is loaded with fat and gave up sweets!!!!! Now it is a treat to eat out.

The trick is to find something you love to do at a time that will work for you, get your family to support you and some will power. My will power now, is loving the way I look and never wanting to go back to the way I was before. I always think of the calorie content in the food and how long it will take to work it off and whether it is worth that 2 mins of pleasure eating it. Most of the time, I don't eat the high calorie food.

Good luck!

Frenchy
January 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
You girls do realise you'll be loosing some boobs too :eek:

:p

Kristin7
January 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah and I don't have much to lose! Ah well... :o

Are we supposed to be weighing in or something, 1x a week? Wasn't sure how we were going to do that...

Here's how my plan has been going: I worked out last week, Thurs and Fri but since my gym is at the office, skipped Sat and Sun. I did clean the house and worked up a sweat on Sat and took the dog for a nice walk on Sunday. Today, even though I really am starting to feel more ill with this cold, I brought my gym clothes and plan to work out.

Ford Girl
January 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Honey, for some of us, that's a good thing!!! (shh, don't tell my DH I said that!)

Good morning everyone! I had a really good weekend, eating and activity wise, feeling good here!

Today I have:

Breakie: coffee with C&S, yogurt, oatmeal with 1 tsp of honey
Snack: almonds and apricots and green tea
Lunch: Veggie and lentil soup, an apple, high fibre granola bar
Snack: carrots and blueberry apple sauce
Supper: Not sure yet – need to get groceries on the way home - but something good...

And I will be walking to dog for exercise, it's really mild here, so I am able to be out and about! :thumbs up

Tomorrow will be my first real challange since the new year...my gf's are taking me out for a birthday dinner, will have to make sure I stick to the plan and order something small and healthy - they let me pick the place so it shouldnt be too hard! :shrug:

Rottielover
January 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Frenchy, with all the weight I have lost, I have not lost in the cup dept. LOL

SARAH
January 7th, 2008, 02:40 PM

It actually depends on your boobs!

If you have mostly fatty tissue, yes you'll lose boob size.
If you have larger glands, then no, you won't.

I'm with Karen :thumbs up cup size stays!

amatazes
January 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
so I'm a fat ass but I can't post pics yet.
anywho, I got on scale and nearly passed out.
26 years old
5'4"
215 lbs.

yeah thats right. never been fatter.

diet began today.

low calorie, no binge eating.

i'm not getting into a bathing suit but i have some really fat pics.

I wasn't even at normal weight in the red dress. I was a fatty. o but it got so much worse. I'm at work so I don't have a nice selection of photos to send. I was a lot hotter than that.

the fat pic, me in the purple was this summer in august. I was so embarrassed when I got home and saw the pics. at least i had fun.

TeriM
January 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Welcome amatezes :thumbs up.

Wow, everyone is being very good. Poodletalk, I am very impressed with your discipline so far but are you sure you are actually eating enough? (feel free to tell be to bugger off if you want :D).

I stepped on the scale today and am down 3.5 lbs but considering when I weighed myself on Jan 2 I was still major bloated from New Years Eve and I couldn't even get my rings on I'm sure that is all water weight :o. But I'll take it anyway :D.

I've done well with the exercise but not great on the eating yet. That is ok, I figured I would get going with the exercise portion last week and throw in the good food this week :thumbs up. My biggest challenge is usually if I am bored or watching tv at night I really want to munch :frustrated:. I do best when I allocate a specific "pre-portioned snack" (ie 100-150 calories) for the evening so I need to do some shopping today.

amatazes
January 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I enjoy a good convo on the battle of the bulge. mostly, I enjoy a good laugh on how much fun it was getting to this weight. lol.

granola bars or bowl of cheerios for brekfast. eating salad, salad and more salad. turkey or chicken for dinner with more salad.
slim fast for lunch with a granola bar (for vitamins and little boost in energy while still keeping the metabolism rolling).

**seriously cutting down the salt.

Ford Girl
January 7th, 2008, 05:24 PM
26 years old
5'4"
215 lbs.

diet began today.

Welcome, and btw...we prefer volumptious to fat asses....LOL!! Please feel free to post in both threads and share your day to day goods and bads.

It actually depends on your boobs!

If you have mostly fatty tissue, yes you'll lose boob size.
If you have larger glands, then no, you won't.

I'm with Karen :thumbs up cup size stays!

Bye bye 1/4 of my boobies....please, go, now, hurry.....

I stepped on the scale today and am down 3.5 lbs but considering when I weighed myself on Jan 2 I was still major bloated from New Years Eve and I couldn't even get my rings on I'm sure that is all water weight :o. But I'll take it anyway :D.

I've done well with the exercise but not great on the eating yet. That is ok, I figured I would get going with the exercise portion last week and throw in the good food this week :thumbs up. My biggest challenge is usually if I am bored or watching tv at night I really want to munch :frustrated:. I do best when I allocate a specific "pre-portioned snack" (ie 100-150 calories) for the evening so I need to do some shopping today.

Good job! 3.5 is an excellent and motivating start! Keep up the good work. You are just like me....the 9:00 munchies...gawd, thats the worst...I found microwave popcorn helps, the light stuff, I eat the whole bag, of course I plan for it...and count it in to my day, I am a salt kinda girl....and I feel like I am cheating when I get my own bag....you can even buy the mini ones. That and tea. :thumbs up

granola bars or bowl of cheerios for brekfast. eating salad, salad and more salad. turkey or chicken for dinner with more salad.
slim fast for lunch with a granola bar (for vitamins and little boost in energy while still keeping the metabolism rolling).

**seriously cutting down the salt.

Good planning makes for good choices! One day at a time! :highfive:

Rottielover
January 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Went on the scale today, and since the 3rd, I have lost 1.5 lbs. :)
I am not 190 Lbs...My goal this month is to be 185 by feb 6th weigh in :)

SARAH
January 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM
26 years old
5'4"
215 lbs.

diet began today.

Don't cut the calories too much, you dont' want your body to think you're starving or it'll hold onto any morsel you eat - even salad - as fat! Hang on, I have a site to go to to check your needs here ...

Enter Your Age in Years: 26
Enter Your Height in Inches: 64
Enter Your Weight in Pounds: 215

Date 2008-01-07
Your Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1764 calories per day

in other words, this is the number of calories you should NOT go below if you don't want to go into starvation mode!

Activity Level TDEE 20%Deficit 25% Deficit
Sedentary................. 1694 ........ 1588 no workout
Lightly Active ............ 1941 .........1820 little workout
Moderate ...................2188 ........ 2051 weights + cardio 5 days/week
Very Active ................2435 .........2283 + team sports
Extremely Active .........2682 .........2514 + manual labor

Hope this helps. Anyone else want to know, just shout! But I won't shout back till tomorrow. TV time for a couple of hours and then ... sleep!

SARAH
January 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Oh, TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. With this formula, you have the activity figured in, so you don't have to think that oh, I spent so many cals doing this, so I can eat so much ... no, it's all you need right there, balance your meals to fit :D

happycats
January 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT:thumbs up

I had a bad day on the week-end, I found the 2lb cadbury milk chocolate bar from the UK the neighbours gave us for Christmas......and I kinda ate 4 squares:cry:
OMG I'm such a loser:loser:!!!

Frenchy
January 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I found the 2lb cadbury milk chocolate bar from the UK the neighbours gave us for Christmas......and I kinda ate 4 squares:cry:

:laughing: 4 squares .... pftttt , that's nothing !

you're not a looser :mad:

Rottielover
January 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM
One thing I will tell you...Ask frenchy..( I do not deprive myself).Do not deprive yourself. If you do, when you are craving bad, you will eat alot more than you originally wanted.
That is how weight is gained back.
I ate a small piece of cheese cake at frenchy's, did I feel bad...No, because I had my small portion.
I have lost all this weight because of exercise and portion control..Eating better. Does not mean you stop you life.
Never beat yourself up...

Frenchy
January 7th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I ate a small piece of cheese cake at frenchy's,

Yes it was small , with cheesecake , I'm not the most sharing person :evil:

Byrd
January 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
One thing I will tell you...Ask frenchy..( I do not deprive myself).Do not deprive yourself. If you do, when you are craving bad, you will eat alot more than you originally wanted.
That is how weight is gained back.

Exactly what I always say. No one will believe me though and then they get cravings and eat a lot something bad. Like today someone brought in donuts, everyone was like "oh no, can't have them" and I figured "why not" and had a half of one, later everyone else was eating their second and I was fine just because I had that little bit.

With chocolate (which is my downfall) I do give myself a little piece everyday, if I don't I'll eat a big huge bar all in one sitting. I think it's better to have that little piece each day than to eat a huge bar once a week. :shrug:

Oh.... and I'm the only one at work who's trying to lose weight who's actually losing any weight.

Rottielover
January 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
LOL, ah come on, do not lie, you offered me another piece, I just said no. LOL

Frenchy
January 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
LOL, ah come on, do not lie, you offered me another piece, I just said no. LOL

I did ! :confused: I must had been drunk. :shrug: :laughing:

I'm not an expert on nutrition , but if you girls eat dark chocolate , it's not suppose to be very fattening , the higher the cocoa is in % , less sugar. AND I always say if you eat something rich , treats and stuff , early in the day , you have time to burn it off. What's dangerous is to eat after 6:00 pm. It's stays in your system and then you go to sleep , that's when it does :evil: to your body. Anyway , that's what I believe and I'm sticking to it. :p

Byrd
January 7th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I love the 60-70% cocoa! :cloud9:

I try to never eat after dinner, I eat dinner later (like 6:30) to try to prevent this.

poodletalk
January 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM
OK...I had a boaring but healthy eating day yesterday. Getting ready to go the gym now since I can't go after work today. Had my ususal breakfast...with a cup of coffee.

I am happy to see everyone is still on track with their weight loss goals.

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM
:laughing: 4 squares .... pftttt , that's nothing !

you're not a looser :mad:

Okay Frenchy, whats your address? I'll mail the rest of the 2lb bar to you:)
I hate dark chocolate, tastes like bakers chocolate.

Maybe I'll do what you do Byrd, and have a later dinner. Because evenings are my biggest problem.

I was good the rest of the day:o

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
i have so many more fat pics. It's kind of cleaning to post them. try it, it helps boost your confidence. take pride in your fat and the fact that you're trying to loose it.:crazy:

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have to find a scale to weigh in, I don't own one, I don't have a gym membership either, so I have no idea of the progress I have made, but I feel MUCH better....since the thread started on a Wed, I will try and weigh myself tonight, somewhere....LOL! I'd like to be able to post my results tomorrow! I don't even know my starting weight to be honest. :shrug:

Rottielover - good job, 1.5lbs at a time!!! :thumbs up

happycats - It's only ok to call yourself a loser IF you are talking weight loss..ok? We are all big losers here!!! :D

poodletalk - How was the gym?

SARAH - how do you calculate that number?

jiorji
January 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM

:eek: someone giving boobs away??? Heck...I'll take 'em :laughing::laughing:

Ok I'm signing up my Peanut for this thread. She's a compulsive eater who's indulged in one too many table scraps this holiday thanks to her human grandma :evil::laughing:

Frenchy
January 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Ok I'm signing up my Peanut for this thread. She's a compulsive eater who's indulged in one too many table scraps this holiday thanks to her human grandma :evil::laughing:

You'll need to post "before pics" :D

jiorji
January 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
You'll need to post "before pics" :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/guineaPIGgirl/Picture339.jpg

:o

our goal is 10lbs:o

poodletalk
January 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry, I replied to the wrong thread...

I also had a good work out at the gym this morning. I arrived there around 6:30 am (by the time I got upstairs to the gym...it was 6:45)...... did about 30 minutes on the stairmaster on a high level.

Then, I did the elliptical for 10-15 minutes. Did some free weights for the arms and crunches...

Looked at the time, it was 8:05 am...had to run take a shower...get dress and be at work for 9:00am.

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry, I replied to the wrong thread...

I think I did, not you, I am not sure, posts every where, I think as long as the communication is there, it's all good. From what I read in each thread, it's not clear but I don't think it matters all that much! :shrug:

I say, when posting a result - then make it noticable for all to see, those in this challanges are checking both threads. :thumbs up

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ok... here it goes. I started somewhere in the 360+ lb neighbourhood, can't be sure, because not even my doc could weigh me at the time, talk about embarassing.

As of today... 316 lbs , estimated body fat 29%, and a BMI of 46.:sad::o

The #'s that concern me more... sugar of 8-10 (fasting- should be between 5-7), cholesterol # controlled by meds, and 1 miscarriage.

My goal is to be mid 200's (40-50 lbs) by the end of summer so that hubby and I can try again for a baby. (would wait to get lower, but want to have children before 35) (will most likely have to be on insulin before during and after but long term goal is to get off the needles as well :thumbs up)

How I am going to try: by exersising more often (or just at all would be a good start:rolleyes:), by continuing to work on eating according to the Food Guide and continuing to work on my BED, using the tools I got at group.

(oh and here is a link to the chart I use in Excel to figure out the fat/BMI http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010565841033.aspx?pid=CT101443491033 )

I have started the year right, I have an agenda where I am keeping track of my sugars, insulin use, temperature, cycles, and meals. I see my doc regularly to check my kidneys and liver and cholesterol.

Ok so good luck to us all... and here is me about 20lbs ago...I would also like to not be able to block out an entire HONDA in a photo!!!:eek::laughing:

I'm so sorry about you miscarriage. I have a couple friends going through that right now. Kee p trying girl. may I recommend (people are going to be mad about this) nutri-systems? it's a crash diet but it will get a huge chunk of weight off and then you start eating normally once your stomach shrinks.
that's when you can go hardcore on the exercise. nutri-system worked for a friend of mine. she lost about 30lbs. in 2 months on it then stopped it and lost another 30 with exercise and eating right.
i've done a liquid diet for a couple weeks also to jump start a diet. optifast.

the honda thing is hysterical.!!!! look at my pics, I feel you.

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Awww Peanut welcome to the weight loss thread!! You go sweet kitty!!

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Welcome, and btw...we prefer volumptious to fat asses....LOL!! Please feel free to post in both threads and share your day to day goods and bads.

lol. i love all the terms equally. I shall turn to pleasantly plump next.

Bye bye 1/4 of my boobies....please, go, now, hurry.....

o your boobs will go. When I was at my skinniest my boobs looked like utters. lol. i was a really fat teenager too. until 17yrs.

Good job! 3.5 is an excellent and motivating start! Keep up the good work. You are just like me....the 9:00 munchies...gawd, thats the worst...I found microwave popcorn helps, the light stuff, I eat the whole bag, of course I plan for it...and count it in to my day, I am a salt kinda girl....and I feel like I am cheating when I get my own bag....you can even buy the mini ones. That and tea. :thumbs up

Good planning makes for good choices! One day at a time! :highfive:

Don't cut the calories too much, you dont' want your body to think you're starving or it'll hold onto any morsel you eat - even salad - as fat! Hang on, I have a site to go to to check your needs here ...

Enter Your Age in Years: 26
Enter Your Height in Inches: 64
Enter Your Weight in Pounds: 215

Date 2008-01-07
Your Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1764 calories per day

in other words, this is the number of calories you should NOT go below if you don't want to go into starvation mode!

Activity Level TDEE 20%Deficit 25% Deficit
Sedentary................. 1694 ........ 1588 no workout
Lightly Active ............ 1941 .........1820 little workout
Moderate ...................2188 ........ 2051 weights + cardio 5 days/week
Very Active ................2435 .........2283 + team sports
Extremely Active .........2682 .........2514 + manual labor

Hope this helps. Anyone else want to know, just shout! But I won't shout back till tomorrow. TV time for a couple of hours and then ... sleep!

thanks. checked it out. i'm all good. I'm between 1500 and 1600. depending on snacks. and i'm constantly eating so i'm not hungry and my body doesn't know i'm hungry.

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Nevermind, I googled it...I should be at 1724.6 But I don't actually count calories as part of my planning, but very good to know.

Go Peanut go! Tell your moma she needs to get you some mice and birds to chase around the house...get a little kitzersize each day!

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT:thumbs up

I had a bad day on the week-end, I found the 2lb cadbury milk chocolate bar from the UK the neighbours gave us for Christmas......and I kinda ate 4 squares:cry:

Relax :) this weekend I had crepes filled with caramelized apples and topped with whipped cream for desert Saturday, and an up-side-down french toast with more caramelized apples for breakfast on Sunday (thanks mom-in-law) and then when we got home, the neighbor's daughter was selling those huge chocolate bars for her school ... :eek: OK, so what? That's all the bad stuff I had since Christmas, so I'm supposed to do what? Shoot myself? Nope.

I always program in a treat per week. Usually it's Saturday. It can be a pizza. Or a glass of wine. Or a desert. Or ... my favourite: breakfast out on Sunday morning! And on in-law country weekends, I know it'll be two-three treats, and I work it in over the next few days.

Oh, and Cadbury's is good! And Terry's Orange. And the Milka pure milk chocolate. And After Eights (the original, mints). And Lindt balls. And ... can you tell I'm really a converted chocoholic? :eek:

I have to find a scale to weigh in, I don't own one, I don't have a gym membership either, so I have no idea of the progress I have made, but I feel MUCH better....since the thread started on a Wed, I will try and weigh myself tonight, somewhere....LOL! I'd like to be able to post my results tomorrow! I don't even know my starting weight to be honest. :shrug:

SARAH - how do you calculate that number?

There is a calculator on a forum I moderate (fatloss/fitness), I just plugged int the numbers there - see you found one too :thumbs up

Without scales or bodyfat calipers, just use a tape measure to see your progress. It's all about size anyway, more than actual weight.

krdahmer
January 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Nevermind, I googled it...I should be at 1724.6 But I don't actually count calories as part of my planning, but very good to know.

Go Peanut go! Tell your moma she needs to get you some mice and birds to chase around the house...get a little kitzersize each day!

You can use the food guide to get an idea of what would roughly make up that calorie range for you if you are interested, it breaks it down into servings of each food group you should be having. I am using the 2200 calorie one as a guideline for now until I conquer the binge eating... so I have 8 grain, 8 F&V, 3 Dairy, 3 meat/alt, and 5 fat/other. I find that I sometimes have trouble eating it all, and I was really surprised to see what serving sizes actually are (larger than I expected). And 2200, may sound like a lot to seasoned dieters... but when binge eating I could pack away 10000+ calorie days easy. So 2200 every day is much better. And I like that I am not actually counting calories or points, those types of programs never worked for me.

And go Peanut!! My Buddy, Windy, Fagan and Asker will join the kitty down sizing too! We've started a daily string-on-a-stick/ catnip mouse throwing/ laser light workout here.... which strangly enough is getting me some exersise too!:rolleyes::D

amatazes
January 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
You can use the food guide to get an idea of what would roughly make up that calorie range for you if you are interested, it breaks it down into servings of each food group you should be having. I am using the 2200 calorie one as a guideline for now until I conquer the binge eating... so I have 8 grain, 8 F&V, 3 Dairy, 3 meat/alt, and 5 fat/other. I find that I sometimes have trouble eating it all, and I was really surprised to see what serving sizes actually are (larger than I expected). And 2200, may sound like a lot to seasoned dieters... but when binge eating I could pack away 10000+ calorie days easy. So 2200 every day is much better. And I like that I am not actually counting calories or points, those types of programs never worked for me.

And go Peanut!! My Buddy, Windy, Fagan and Asker will join the kitty down sizing too! We've started a daily string-on-a-stick/ catnip mouse throwing/ laser light workout here.... which strangly enough is getting me some exersise too!:rolleyes::D

I hear you. I can do the same. In the past when I would get really frustrated with my dieting and end up binging I would purge. It got really ugly for a while but I got myself out of it.
Keep yourself busy. always. make everything else an immediate need.
we can do it.

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I count points as per weight watchers, combined with the Canada Food guide.

You are right, we CAN do this....:thumbs up

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
We CAN ??? WE ARE DOING THIS !!! It's been a week already and the thread still lives. Yayy us !! :highfive: :grouphug:

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
YES WE CAN!!!!!

Had a bran muffin for breakfast,
banana for snack
salad for lunch
apple for snack
pasta with a small slice of pork tenderlion
raw couliflower, brocc, celery for snack

now, the evening sets in........my weak time...:fingerscr hope I can make it, maybe I'll go to bed at 7!! That'll work!:D

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
YES WE CAN!!!!!

Had a bran muffin for breakfast,
banana for snack
salad for lunch
apple for snack
pasta with a small slice of pork tenderlion
raw couliflower, brocc, celery for snack

now, the evening sets in........my weak time...:fingerscr hope I can make it, maybe I'll go to bed at 7!! That'll work!:D

Watch The Biggest Loser tonight, you won't feel like snacking!! :D

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Watch The Biggest Loser tonight, you won't feel like snacking!! :D

Ohhh what time and channel?

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Nbc 8:30 !!

happycats
January 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thank you!

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Any time ;)

Actually, I'm taping it, because Lewis doens't want to watch it, so we watch something else at that time. I'll have a look tomorrow, after today's Y&R that's also taped :thumbs up gotta be organized!

poodletalk
January 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
My legs are soooo sore from my work-out this morning. :frustrated:

I just got home, I have to make supper....tuna or salmon steak on the inside bbq thing...forget what's it called. Baked potatoes and veggies....

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM
No weights tomorrow, but I'm still doing cardio and also may walk to the mall to get to the post office, depending on weather because if it's pouring I'm not walking 2½ Km!

Ford Girl
January 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I am heading to Moxie's for dinner with the ladies..wish me luck!

Dog give me strength to choose salad or at least something healthy...:pray:

SARAH
January 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
:goodvibes: going your way so that you do make the good choices! :highfive:

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
GOOD MORNING !!!

Elliptical trainer only today, no weights. I set it to Program 3, which turned out to take me from resistance level 2 to 3,4,5,6,7 and 4,3,2,1 at different speeds. OK, it doesn't make the speed, I do, but there's a little "coach" on the display with a speed-indicator I'm supposed to follow.

:frustrated: couldn't get over resistance 4, and not quite the top speed either. However, I did go faster than the thing wanted me to at the start, so ... ok, not quite the same.

Goal: do the exact Program 3 by the end of the month!

Result for today: I was drenched :D so not a bad workout.

poodletalk
January 9th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Result for today: I was drenched so not a bad workout.

That's how I was yesterday morning.................I am going to the gym tonight.

3,4,5,6,7 and 4,3,2,1

I think that program is called Fat burner, I do something similar on the stair master.

Rottielover
January 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Good morning...Today I ate a good breakfast.
Kayla was sick all night so I did not go to work.
I will not be going after lunch .
Today was a no gym day today so that was fluke.
I will see what can be done exercise wise. To be honest I am completely exhausted.

waste of paint
January 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone! I'm just jumping in here and I'm kind of embarrassed at how much I've let myself go. :o I was never skinny but I used to be a FIT fat girl, now I'm just FAT. :( I am currently 220lbs (eek!) and I would like to be down to 170 by next January.

My plan is to eat as "clean" as possible (cutting out refined and prepared foods, artificial colors, preservatives, etc.) and become active again. I used to walk or bike everywhere, jog, swim, and strength train. I'd like to get back into those habits.

I want to say congrats to everyone because it sounds like you're all doing great! I hope I can do as well as all of you. :thumbs up

poodletalk
January 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Waste of Paint, the hardest part is to get started, but when you do and see the scale going down pound by pound, it's pretty exciting!!

Eating right and excerising is the right step. :thumbs up

Rottie, I hope Kayla is feeling better.

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Waiste of Paint, welcome in our little not-fat-no-more club :thumbs up we can change this and we are!

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Good morning!!! Or afternoon in some places!! It's only 11am here!

I made good choices last night I think....I ordered a 10oz steak (I'm in Alberta - have to have beef!), wild rice and streamed broccolies. The steak, I know, was a larger portion that you should have but I planned for it, it was my one meat of the day, and the rice was butter free and a small portion, veggies plain. No bread, no dessert, didn't add salt, and no alcohal. Those are all very good mini-achievments for me! I had 2 diet cokes with lime. I left feeling satisfied, not stuffed. Resturants are hard. We took our time and it wasn't a place with huge portions and plates, and no bread basket on the table! The food was excellent, I love steak.

Today I have good food too, a planned day, that always helps me stay on track! I packed extra bits cuz I leave early today to go to HS for a few hours, they will be my work out today as well, working with the dogs. Then home for a beef and veggie stir fry sans noodles or rice. I am feeling so good today!

waste of paint - welcome, please post goods and bads, we are all in this together! :grouphug:

poodletalk and SARAH and Rottielover - today is one week down from the start of this thread, looks to me you have a weeks worth of good choices and positive work behind you! Keep it up! :thumbs up

Rottielover - if you are exhausted and you ate well, then rest up, your body is no good to you tired, you will be better off tomorrow if you rest today. IMO

Have a great day! Think thin! :highfive:

amatazes
January 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I tried to look up the calorie content of steak last night and I couldn't find anything really reassuring that it was correct.

I don't know what kind of steak I had. it said it was round cut for rolling.

There was no visible fat in it. very thin, semi tough. I found a calorie counter website and it said that the steak was like 500 calories. there's no way that steak was 500 calories.

last night: dinner was that steak 5 oz. steak, salad with light dressing and a big baked potatoe with fake butter spray. (light crunches, pushups and leg lifts during biggest loser)

morning: slim fast, granola bar
lunch:slim fast, granola bar

i hope dinner goes well.;)

poodletalk
January 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I had a big lunch today, but I don't feel guilty.

First: Running late, no time to eat breakfast

Lunch: Veggie and spinich lasgana,(small piece) green beans in tomotate sauce...try it you will love it! and a tomatoe and cucumber salad.

Tonight if I get to leave work early enough, I am going to take a spinning class at 6 pm if not I will still go to the gym and do stairmaster and stuff.

Ford Girl
January 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I tried to look up the calorie content of steak last night and I couldn't find anything really reassuring that it was correct.

(light crunches, pushups and leg lifts during biggest loser)

morning: slim fast, granola bar
lunch:slim fast, granola bar

I have no idea either, the steak I had was lean too, but 10oz, too much I know, but I ate good all week, that was the only over size portion I had all week.

Me too! I was doing leg lifts and butt crunches while I watched BL! Too funny!

I had a big lunch today, but I don't feel guilty.

First: Running late, no time to eat breakfast

Lunch: Veggie and spinich lasgana,(small piece) green beans in tomotate sauce...try it you will love it! and a tomatoe and cucumber salad.

Tonight if I get to leave work early enough, I am going to take a spinning class at 6 pm if not I will still go to the gym and do stairmaster and stuff.

The next time you go get groceries look for quick things to eat in the am, on the run, when you are runnig late - I run late in the am all the time too, I know how that goes. Yogurt, fruit, granola bars, they make liquid meals to go to - cans, V8...from what I was told and try to do is that 100cal first thing in the am kick starts your metabolism....

I have to do all my planning at night, if I leave it to the am I would say :censored: it! LOL!

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Easiest way to know a portion size:

Protein - the size of your palm (one)
Starches - the size of the gathered fingers on one hand
Veggies - the size of yout two cupped hands
Extras - the size of your thumb (which is about one tablespoon)

extras include salad dressing, ketchup, gravies, mayo ...

Anything over that, ask for a doggie-bag and bring home for lunch the next day!

Writing4Fun
January 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Starches - the side of the gathered fingers on one hand
Clearly you've never been to my mother's house at Christmas. :laughing:

SARAH
January 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
LOL, that's what it SHOULD be, not what moms serve!

waste of paint
January 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

I did pretty good today food-wise, but I only had time for a 15-minute walk. Luckily all of the errands I have to run tomorrow will have me walking for about an hour and a half. The only bad thing is that I have a date so I have to eat out at a restaurant I've never been to. :/ Hopefully they'll have some healthy options.

Hope you guys all had a great day!

growler~GateKeeper
January 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM
wholesaler your post has been reported to the mods :loser:

pbpatti
January 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM
good for yu growler, i was about to do the sme thing patti...no selling boooo

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Didn't see the spam post, but if it was for any kind of "diet pills" or other "diet supplement" it would have been a waste of time for them anyway! We know that those things only slim down one thing: the WALLET :laughing: :laughing: so all they'd do here would be to :wall:

poodletalk
January 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Sarah, at the gym we have a BIM scale. The problem is whenyou stand on it, the numbers never stop moving.

I asked someone about it, they said "Well, your weight is somewhere around there?" Where is there? It moves 5 or more pounds up and down?

Is this normal????????????

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
BIM as in ...? Like the Tanita scales that supposedly give you your bodyfat % as well as your weight? (Never accurate btw, I don't trust mine one bit, and we're only 2 using it). Could be that there are so many people getting on and off the things every day, that it's out of whack. You'd be better off with your own.

For one thing, you'd be the only one (or two) using it, not 100s a week, so the tare wouldn't get so screwed up. Also, you'd be able to weight yourself at the most positive time (i.e. out of bed, off the pot (sorry) and butt naked!).

A regular, slightly heavy-duty manual scale is all you need, never mind the fancy digital thingies with all sorts of programs built in, they don't really work most of the time, or if they do they're not accurate anyway.

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
i had a really bad night last night.

first, we went out for sushi and I wasn't in the mood for raw fish so I got the seafood udon soup (no clue what the calorie content was??? does anyone know?).

then, we go to boyfriend's house and I eat a few hand full of cheerios.

then, we go for ice cream, I have none!!! (victory!!!)

that's when we go to the supermarket and I buy a bag of toasted pita chip. when we got to the car I managed to eat almost the entire bag on the way home.

finally, and at this point it's 10pm i had a salad with lite dressing.

wtf is wrong with me????

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Heres some info on proper portion sizes.

Portion sizes are important for staying a healthy weight.

When a food scale of measuring cups aren't handy, you can still estimate your portions by using this chart.

Three ounces of meat is about the size and thickness of a deck of playing cards or an audiotape cassette.

A medium apple or peach is about the size of a tennis ball.

One ounce of cheese is about the size of four stacked dice.

One-half cup of ice cream is about the size of a racquetball or tennis ball.

One cup of mashed potatoes or broccoli is about the size of your fist.

One teaspoon of butter or peanut butter is about the size of the tip of your thumb.

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I like this idea too, takes all the guess work out it!!
I think I'm going to buy one:)

http://www.stepscount.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=PCPS01&Category_Code=NUTRI

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
that's a great idea. I mean I wouldn't pay $13 for something can buy at the supermarket for 5 but it's great. I'm going to go get some of those disposables today.

happycats
January 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
that's a great idea. I mean I wouldn't pay $13 for something can buy at the supermarket for 5 but it's great. I'm going to go get some of those disposables today.

I agree, I'm going to check out the cheaper versions. I know there is one for diabetics, that has actual measurements on each section (it looks kinda like built in cups, instead of sections.
http://www.ezweightplate.com/

amatazes
January 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I agree, I'm going to check out the cheaper versions. I know there is one for diabetics, that has actual measurements on each section (it looks kinda like built in cups, instead of sections.
http://www.ezweightplate.com/

this looks more durable, like tupperware. I might get a couple for my boyfriends dad. he had a stroke last year linked to his diabetes. He lost like 40lbs and now is gaining it back and then some.

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
The only bad thing is that I have a date so I have to eat out at a restaurant I've never been to. :/ Hopefully they'll have some healthy options. Hope you guys all had a great day!

Does the resturant have a website where you can review the menu ahead of time? I try to do that, just so I can be prepared. Also, what's the name of it? I use dwlz.com to see weight watchers points, this site is done by a lady who losts tones of weight and then went to almost every resturant you can think of and pointed out their menus! It's great! Canadian and American.

i had a really bad night last night.

wtf is wrong with me????

Ok, so you had a bad night, which to me, besides the pita chips, didn't look that bad? Today is a new day, don't kick yourself for what you chose yesterday, instead tell yourself "today I will make better choces!" We all make bad choices, the point of mistakes is to learn from it, so next time you go for sushi, order a beto box or a salad to go with your soup, or teriakyi chicken or beef. I agree with what Sarah said on the tjt, I don't think the soup was enough to begin with.

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
this looks more durable, like tupperware. I might get a couple for my boyfriends dad. he had a stroke last year linked to his diabetes. He lost like 40lbs and now is gaining it back and then some.

My father in law had a heart attack in June 07, since then he started eating healthy and smaller portions and walking after dinner instead of snoozing while the news was on. He is 60lbs lighter!! Just goes to show if he can do it, anyone can! :highfive:

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My little personal mini-victory....

Last night I made a beef and veggie stir fry, with teriaki sauce and steamed new potatoes...why is this a big deal you ask...cuz my DH won't eat anything that is mixed together, touching or has sauce! LOL! But he tried it, and liked it (he still ate each thing in order :laughing: first the potatoes, then the carrots, then the broccolies, then the meat..etc...) He will do anything I ask him to do, and he's honest about it, he actually liked it and said..."next time maybe use chicken so I can try that" So :highfive: to him, it makes eating healthy easier when you have more options to make for dinner...

Today I have good food to eat, packed a healthy lunch and snacks but I won't be exercising, will be the only missed day since the new year, so I am ok with that....instead I am going to buy my treadmill!!!! So pumped!

For supper we are trying turkey bacon...I am making B.L.T's and a side salad...it looks good, never tried it, :fingerscr DH likes it too. 25 cals per piece, 1 gram fat. And it's already precooked, so I just need to grill it to firm it up a bit. :thumbs up

Have a great day everyone, stay strong and on track!!! :grouphug:

poodletalk
January 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM
It's a Bim Scale where you can convert your weight into pounds or KG. it doesn't stop...which is annoying. I won't be using it anyomre... I have a bathroom scale which is pretty acurate.

Yesterday, I had a spinning class for 45 minutes, it was disappointly easy. The only person who thought it was hard was the teacher...she was soooo red and sweating...and gozzling down water. Hardly anyone in the class broke a sweat unlike the class on Saturday where the teacher is tough like Hell.

After spinning class, I did the stairmaster for 30 minutes on the program "climbing" which was really hard on level 5.

I came home and wasn't hungry. So I had a bowl of soup and some melba toast.

No breakfast today running late like ususal....haven't had time yet to take lunch but I will soon.

Today, I won't be going to the gym..taking a day of rest. But I still have take the dog for a long walk.

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Sounds like a nice idea, wonder if they'd have that at a dollar-store! Non-disposable I mean ... I'll check next time I'm over there.

Supper tonight:

Spaghetti squash (rather than actual pasta!)
Fresh green beans cooked with sundried tomatoes and garlic
Chicken breasts coated with crushed pecans (to make the nuts stick, a mix of Dijon mustard and fresh lime juice)

If you don't have time for breakfast, I have a little trick for you:

Make a batch of protein pancakes and freeze by 2s. Thaw in the toaster and lightly butter, munch on the run!

Protein pancakes being basically the same as normal ones, except you use whole wheat flour instead of white, you do not add any sugar at all but use vanilla protein powder, 1-2 eggs or whatever, and skim milk. If you want to, you can also mix in apple sauce or blueberries to make them less dry once thawed.

Writing4Fun
January 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
For supper we are trying turkey bacon...
Love, love, LOVE turkey bacon! :lovestruck: Hubby and I switched to it a few years ago and we never looked back. I can't touch the other stuff anymore. :yuck:

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Love, love, LOVE turkey bacon! :lovestruck: Hubby and I switched to it a few years ago and we never looked back. I can't touch the other stuff anymore. :yuck:

I am hoping it's good, we like a bacon egg breakfast one morning per weekend, I hope this is good. DH is picky but he'll try it. I usually don't tell him until after he tries it. :D

http://www.thedailyplate.com/

Here's a link I found, going to check it out, heard it's a bit more fun then fitday, but along the same lines. :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
January 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I am hoping it's good, we like a bacon egg breakfast one morning per weekend, I hope this is good. DH is picky but he'll try it.
Yeah, we usually have a bacon & egg breakfast on Sunday. My 4 year old loves turkey bacon, so your hubby should like it just fine. :thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, we usually have a bacon & egg breakfast on Sunday. My 4 year old loves turkey bacon, so your hubby should like it just fine. :thumbs up

Exactly! hahah! I made Thai chicken the other day, my DH asked me what Thai meant and I said it meant BBQ, he's like...yum! LOL!

SARAH
January 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Yeah, us too. Once a week, it's the turkey bacon, baked beans (usually home made), whole wheat toast - in addition to our usual eggs. Or I make the protein pancakes fresh (we have 2) and keep the rest for the week.

Exactly! hahah! I made Thai chicken the other day, my DH asked me what Thai meant and I said it meant BBQ, he's like...yum! LOL!

Why is it that men seem so gullible? Are they? Or do they just let us think we win?

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Sarah, those pancakes sound great, I might need to give those a try :thumbs up.

I've been doing well this week which is really when planned for starting my good eating pattern :o (was still in holiday mode last week). I find the first few days of being good the hardest for me and then I get past the cravings and things get easier. I went for a run on Sunday and Tuesday, walked the other days and went for a 1.25 hour cross country ski last night so exercise is pretty good. I even passed on the hot choc and only had herbal tea and a bit of hubby's blueberry muffin :angel::laughing:. I am planning to ski a 15 km race mid-feb so hope to get a bunch more skiing done in the next few weeks. Had hoped to do the 30 km course but I lost Dec with a hamstring injury so I think I am not going to be ready for that.

crazydays
January 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
OK YOU GUYS...finally got to me.
You are doing a excellent job so far!!
I have been a dieter my entire life...i can remember in grade 9 taking melba toast and low fat cheese slices for lunch...not to forget a apple!!
My problem is the chips and chocolate!! No one in their right mind should sit down with a supersize bag of Ruffle chips and decide that would be supper tonight!!!!
My motivation (this time) is a job interview in 2-3 weeks. I need to drop some bloat so I get some confidence back!!!!!!

So- I should lose at least 60 lbs for health reasons. Realistically if I can just get under the 200lb mark I will look and feel better. So thats about 30 lbs.
For me- avoid snacking ( except frozen Yogurt Chapmans!)

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Woohoo! Welcome crazydays :thumbs up.

Rottielover
January 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Well today I had a so so day.
With no sleep for 3 days, energy is still very low.
I ate very well up till tonight :)
I was out and about, so I had a turkey club, whole wheat at timmies. BUT I gave in and has 3/4 of choc glaze donut. LOL
Surprise, I was still about right on for my calories for the whole day.
I walked Harley 2 times instead of once, and walked while having a cig at work for 10 mins both times

TeriM
January 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well today I had a so so day.
With no sleep for 3 days, energy is still very low.
I ate very well up till tonight :)
I was out and about, so I had a turkey club, whole wheat at timmies. BUT I gave in and has 3/4 of choc glaze donut. LOL
Surprise, I was still about right on for my calories for the whole day.
I walked Harley 2 times instead of once, and walked while having a cig at work for 10 mins both times

It is tough when energy is low :sad: but at least you didn't eat a huge apple fritter or worse :thumbs up. Next time ask for timbits instead of the donut. I do that and then it is easier to stop at one :o.

krdahmer
January 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Had a doc appointment today and my sugar is down again!!! And my cholesterol is perfect!!! :highfive: Been busy fighting with hubby over money (more stupid truck repairs-every time we have an extra 50 cents that damn thing breaks down:frustrated::yell:) so haven't been in a mood for activity, but I'm gonna try this weekend. :o

waste of paint
January 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Does the resturant have a website where you can review the menu ahead of time? I try to do that, just so I can be prepared. Also, what's the name of it? I use dwlz.com to see weight watchers points, this site is done by a lady who losts tones of weight and then went to almost every resturant you can think of and pointed out their menus! It's great! Canadian and American.

Cool, thank you for the link! We ended up going to a brasserie, but I wasn't very hungry so I just had a bowl of vegetable soup (granted, it was a big bowl!). I'm so used to eating homemade food now that everything on the menu looked like crap to me. I never thought that pizza would look unappetizing!

I did have a treat today: dark chocolate with chili and spices. It was only 200 calories and it was really yum. I actually haven't eaten enough today (about 1030 cal) so I think I'm going to have a bit of banana and a glass of milk now.

growler~GateKeeper
January 11th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Didn't see the spam post, but if it was for any kind of "diet pills" or other "diet supplement" it would have been a waste of time for them anyway! We know that those things only slim down one thing: the WALLET :laughing: :laughing: so all they'd do here would be to :wall:

It was Tiffany rip off jewelry :rolleyes: :loser:

happycats
January 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Good morning fellow big losers!!!!

I had a good day yesterday and feel good.

You guys are doing amazing, and thanks to you all, it has made this process so much easier for me!! :D:grouphug: You keep me focused, and I feel if you all can do it, well so can I!!

I'm turning 40 this year, and instead of being "fat 40" I want to be.....no I WILL be "fab 40'!!!!!! Not to mention, it is now affecting my health, and diabetes runs in my family.

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'm so used to eating homemade food now that everything on the menu looked like crap to me. I never thought that pizza would look unappetizing!

YAYY !! GOOD FOR YOU !!! That's the first step on the way to kicking that junk food habit. Next will be the sweets - harder, seems greasy stuff is easier to lose the taste/ craving for. Maybe because it smells more being warm, and the glistening, dripping fat .. :yuck:

It was Tiffany rip off jewelry :rolleyes: :loser:

LOL, right :frustrated:

(oh grrrr, that Blunt-guy on the radio again :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: can't stomach the guy! looks like he needs a bath, a shave, a hairwashand a harcut, plus some diction classes, not to mention singing classes - and everyone seem to :lovestruck: the creep :yell: )

poodletalk
January 11th, 2008, 08:02 AM
It was below ok day yesterday...really busy didn't have alot of time to eat and didn't go the gym.

Breakfast none
Snack: orange
Lunch: small salmon salad mixed in a three bean salad
Supper: Two sices of a thin sliced frozen pizza (vegetraian) we put smoked salmon on top and popped it in the oven. It was sooo good. Plus two bowls of home made veggie soup.

Was sooo tierd went to bed by 9pm.

Today not going to the gym again since I am going to see Mama Mia (Abba) tonight...

I don't know what's on the food menu for today.(breakfast and lunch)..but I will figure out something soon but we are going out for supper.

happycats
January 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
For those of you who are skipping breakfast, ( to busy running late) I find grabbing a bran or fibre muffin, is easy, quick and healthy coice. You can eat it on the go. I also get the All Bran with strawberry (look like mini wheats) and eat them out of a zip lock bag dry (no milk). also quick, easy and portable.

Kristin7
January 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have a cold right now and thinking of not going to the gym later, however, I did go Mon, Tues and Thurs. All I want to do is go crawl in bed... on top of being sick, I have been losing sleep because my boyfriend's cat is really loud at night (long story). I've been eating fairly healthy this week, except Wed night we went to a local bar and I had (gasp) a fried pork tenderloin sandwich and a few beers. oops! :o I've never had this sandwich before and it is a local specialty, so figured, if I only eat it once in my life, that is ok, as I don't eat foods like this on a daily or even weekly basis. In fact, I don't remember the last time I went to any fast food restaurant.

Last night dinner was great - lake trout caught by my dad, with a tomato saffron garlic sauce, sauteed chard and quinoa. If you haven't tried quinoa, I highly recommend it as a substitute for rice. It is much better for you and high in protein.

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM
For those of you who are skipping breakfast, ( to busy running late) I find grabbing a bran or fibre muffin, is easy, quick and healthy coice. You can eat it on the go. I also get the All Bran with strawberry (look like mini wheats) and eat them out of a zip lock bag dry (no milk). also quick, easy and portable.

Look at the sugar content though. Great for fibre, and the commercial is fun, but ...

I have a cold right now and thinking of not going to the gym later, however, I did go Mon, Tues and Thurs. All I want to do is go crawl in bed... on top of being sick, I have been losing sleep because my boyfriend's cat is really loud at night (long story). I've been eating fairly healthy this week, except Wed night we went to a local bar and I had (gasp) a fried pork tenderloin sandwich and a few beers. oops! :o I've never had this sandwich before and it is a local specialty, so figured, if I only eat it once in my life, that is ok, as I don't eat foods like this on a daily or even weekly basis. In fact, I don't remember the last time I went to any fast food restaurant.

Last night dinner was great - lake trout caught by my dad, with a tomato saffron garlic sauce, sauteed chard and quinoa. If you haven't tried quinoa, I highly recommend it as a substitute for rice. It is much better for you and high in protein.

Love quinoa! Have you tried amarath though? Still looking for recipes using the grain! I find the grain, and recipes for flakes or meal :frustrated: not really compatible.

Kristin7
January 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
No, I haven't tried that one... I do have a book at home that might have some recipes in it though, so will take a look. If I see a good one, will let you know. I'm always willing to try something new!

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Me too, especially if it's natural and healthy, and if it's also "ancient and re-discovered" it's even more fun!

Ever try spaghetti squash?

You know how other squashes get all mushy and look like mashed potatoes when you scrape the baked shells? Well, the spaghetti squash flesh gets all stringy-looking, like spaghettini. Same taste though, so it's really just a question of aspect.

Kristin7
January 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yup, I've occasionally made spagetti squash... not in a long time, though, come to think of it. In the past, i've made it just like spagetti, with a tomato sauce, and it was pretty good. I think I also made it more like a pasta salad, with dressing and veggies... I don't love it or would be making it more often, however, my boyfriend likes it, so maybe one of these days will pick one up and try a new recipe. If anyone has a good spagetti squash recipe, please let me know!

waste of paint
January 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
You can try drizzling a little coconut oil on spaghetti squash, it's really tasty and it's actually good for you (it helps lower cholesterol and stimulates the thyroid). :)

Thanks for the encouragement, SARAH! I've been working on slowly cutting these foods out of my diet for months, and it's amazing how much easier it was for me to do it cold turkey. The only sweets I'm keeping around are a little bit of dark chocolate, and raw sugar when necessary (in plain yogurt, for example). I think I'd be back off the wagon instantly if I so much as tasted a brownie, though! :laughing:

Ford Girl
January 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hello skinnies!!!

First off, I think everyone is doing great...it's been over a week on this thread and we are still at it!

crazydays - welcome, we need all the support we can get, your input and post are welcome!

Rottielover - are you going to be able to rest up this weekend? Kayla better? At least you are doing what you can, in the time you have...thats what really matters.

krdahmer - results like that make it all worth it, you are obviously doing something right, keep it up!

I was suppose to get a treadmill last night but after dinner, my DH and I looked at each other and both agreed we needed a night to stay home, so we did! I so needed that.

The turkey bacon I mentioned was made by Lilydale, it was called Day Starters Turkey slices, 25 cals, 1 grm fat, 5 grm protein, and boy, it was so good!!! I pan fried it for 3 mins, and made BLT's, even DH thought it was fantastic! I just love finding new things to try, I always need quick and easy, but healthy, not always easy to find things that fit in to that! We only used 1/2 the pack, so we can have a breakfast this wekeend too.

I reccomend it! I will be trying the turkey sausages too! :thumbs up

SARAH
January 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ooh yeah, I hear you there! Any gooey chocolate cake, brownie or otherwise, and I lose all will power and focus!

I've found that it's often easier to go cold turkey actually, because although it's tough at the start, since you have to eat more healthy stuff in stead, your body gets put off by the smells and aspects of the junk much faster.

However, always keep one meal per week where you allow yourself to go a little nuts. Not in quantity, but in quality ;) like 1/4 of a pizza (not the jumbo size :wall: ), one burger from a better place than the golden arches place and its' "siblings" the king and the redhead with the braids; or a breakfast at a breakfast place even - which leaves you the whole day to work it off :thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I walked 4klm before work this am! :highfive: to me!

Today I have:

Breakfast - 2 whole wheat blueberry ego's, dry, yogurt
Snack - almonds and apricots
Lunch - Healthy request soup - a new kind, 3 bean and grilled pork, looks good! And an apple, carrots and cherry tomatos
Snack - blueberry apple sauce and tea
Dinner - grill pork tenderlion and steamed turnip and broccolies. Side salad.

Question - do you treat turnip like potatoes, is it considered a starch portion wise, or a veggie? I love it. YUM!

My biggest issue this weekend will be the NFL football playoffs, in the years past it meant laziness and really bad food and tones of beer. Besides chicken wings, chips, beer, nachoes...what should I make?

I am willing to work out hard before the game - starts at 2 Saturday, and eat good tonight and in the morning, so that I can semi-indulge. And I won't be drinking. :sad:

Any suggestions? I purposly didn't invite all the guys over so I don't have to make a big spread, or tap a keg, LOL!!! But I need something semi treat, semi healthy for half time.
:shrug:

happycats
January 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Look at the sugar content though. Great for fibre, and the commercial is fun, but ...

Not all muffins are unhealthy;)

Heres a "healthy" muffin recipe, I freeze them and take them out as I ned them.

Superquick bran muffin recipe
Ingredients A

2/3 cup stone-ground whole wheat hp flour (unrefined)
1/3 cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons splenda is fine
Ingredients B
1 egg
½ cup light cream
1/3 tsp vanilla (optional)
½ tbsp canola oil (optional)
Pre-heat oven. Combine dry ingredients (A) in one bowl. Combine wet ingredients (B) in a different bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix them together until just combined. Do not overmix. When you lift up the spoon, the mixture is like lump. Pour into muffin tray Bake for 20-25 mins, let cool off a bit, then serve.

here's another
All-bran extra fiber muffins, Low Fat Recipe
Yield:
12 Servings

Ingredients:
1/2 c sugar
1 tb baking powder
2 c cereal; all-bran kellogg's
1 1/4 c milk; skimmed
1/4 c milk; skimmed
1 egg beaters; 99% real egg pro
1 1/4 c flour

Preparation:
Stir together flour, sugar & baking powder . In a large mixing bowl
combine cereal & milk. Let stand 5min or until cereal softens. Add egg
beater and applesauce. Beat well. Add flour mixture stirring only
until combined. Pour into 12 muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for 20
min until lightly brown. Serve warm.

waste of paint
January 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
happycats, I think Sarah was talking about the sugar content of the All Bran with strawberry, but I could be wrong.

Ford Girl: I am always super impressed when people can manage to work out in the morning, because I can barely roll out of bed 15 minutes before class starts most days! Congrats. :highfive:

I was at a fancy restaurant last night and I did really well with the meal, but I had a tiny tiny bowl of ice cream with fudge. I guess that's not so bad. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to manage to get away with not drinking a whole lot at my friend's birthday party. It's his 21st, and everyone partied hard with me on mine...and I do want to have fun, I don't get to go out often because of school...I just don't want to sabotage the hard work I've put in this week. :shrug:

poodletalk
January 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Waste of paint, don't drink beer...drink achocal straight. (personally I can't do that), but someone who likes to go out on Saturday night told me that's what he does and he still manages to loose weight.

Today I went to the gym, hoping to do an intense spinning class...I got to the class 15 minute early so I could take a pass for the class.

The whole entire class was already booked!!! I couldn't believe it, so I asked the receptionist how can the class be already all booked when passes are only given out 15 minutes before the class starts?

She said, they take phone reservations starting at 9am then give out the passes 15 minutes before to the people who booked?! (Why wasn't I told this from the begining? ) I was sooo mad....I was so looking forward to this class.

I ended up doing 30 minutes of level six climbing level on the stair master and I did 20 minutes of "fast buster" on the life cycle...(you do the motions of cross country skiing) and crunches.

I have to walk Maggie this afternoon, I think we will walk around the water front which is always a nice long walk...

SARAH
January 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
happycats, I think Sarah was talking about the sugar content of the All Bran with strawberry, but I could be wrong.

Ford Girl: I am always super impressed when people can manage to work out in the morning, because I can barely roll out of bed 15 minutes before class starts most days! Congrats. :highfive:

I was at a fancy restaurant last night and I did really well with the meal, but I had a tiny tiny bowl of ice cream with fudge. I guess that's not so bad. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to manage to get away with not drinking a whole lot at my friend's birthday party. It's his 21st, and everyone partied hard with me on mine...and I do want to have fun, I don't get to go out often because of school...I just don't want to sabotage the hard work I've put in this week. :shrug:

I was referring to the cereal :D muffins can be an ok alternative to not eating, providing they are low in sugar and high in fibre.

Actually, fasted cardio is the best way to burn that fat ... try forcing yourself out of bed 30 minutes early, go for a brisk walk around your area (bring your dog, he'll love it) and then go home, have breakfast and a shower, and get to work (school) awake and full of energy. You'll tire everyone else who is still chugging coffee :laughing:

Waste of paint, don't drink beer...drink achocal straight. (personally I can't do that), but someone who likes to go out on Saturday night told me that's what he does and he still manages to loose weight.

Today I went to the gym, hoping to do an intense spinning class...I got to the class 15 minute early so I could take a pass for the class.

The whole entire class was already booked!!! I couldn't believe it, so I asked the receptionist how can the class be already all booked when passes are only given out 15 minutes before the class starts?

She said, they take phone reservations starting at 9am then give out the passes 15 minutes before to the people who booked?! (Why wasn't I told this from the begining? ) I was sooo mad....I was so looking forward to this class.

I ended up doing 30 minutes of level six climbing level on the stair master and I did 20 minutes of "fast buster" on the life cycle...(you do the motions of cross country skiing) and crunches.

I have to walk Maggie this afternoon, I think we will walk around the water front which is always a nice long walk...

Bumer about that class! You're right, they should have told you, but at least now you know for next week :thumbs up and it looks to me like you got a godd workout in anyway, in spite of them! (so there! :D )

The sun is out, you're right, I think I'll take the girls for a walk today, I'll drag Lewis with me, we can walk one dog each, that was one of the reasons we got two in the first place :rolleyes:

As for the beer/ alcohol thing, just one comment. Alcohol is a strain to the body. It will place any other liquid or solid you consume at the same time (even before if not finished digested, or after as it's still working on the alcohol) as FAT while it struggles to break down and eliminate the alcohol from your system. It will also hold onto any water in order to dilute the alcohool as much as possible. Now, if you still want to drink, it's a free country. I choose not to.

Then comes the problem: people always want to serve you something! I ask for water and get either a glass or a bottle, but then they ask what they get me to drink! WTH? I've got water, isn't that something to drink? LOL, at times I take a glass of wine and pretend to sip it, all the while drinking my water. If we're out, I'll have a Perrier with a slice of lemon - no one asks if there's vodka or gin in it, they just see the lemon and assume there's alcohol, and leave me alone! I just make sure I order myself (or Lewis orders for me), that's all. Wine? Sure, maybe once a week, half a glass, but I can just as easily leave it.

poodletalk
January 12th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Bumer about that class! You're right, they should have told you, but at least now you know for next week

That's what hubby said, but I was still disappointed when I came home.

Good news is, in today's spinning class I saw the Wednesday's spinning teacher taking the class. She not a very good teacher...so hopefully she's taking pointers from the Saturdays teacher who's excellent!:thumbs up

waste of paint
January 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Sarah: If we get a lot of snow I'll have to get up earlier because I won't be able to bike to school anymore. :sad: It's about an 8 minute ride so I'm guessing it's 20-25 minutes walking, and I could just take the long way to make it 30 minutes. I can probably bring breakfast to school, too, and I normally shower when I get home anyway (I practically show up to class in my pj's :o). I'll try starting that on Monday and see how it goes!

And I've read that about alcohol as well, which is one of the reasons I don't drink very much anymore. I think I'm just going to have a bit of rum (without the coke or juice) and drink water most of the night. I'm showing up a bit late so hopefully everyone will be too drunk to notice that I'm not! :rolleyes:

Rottielover
January 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ok for the month of Jan, this is where I am starting at....
189 lbs a side and front view

SARAH
January 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM
What a difference from last summer!! Good for you Karen :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What a difference from last summer!! Good for you Karen :thumbs up

omg ! I only notice when people loose a lot of weight (people at work could wear the same clothes everyday and I wouldn't notice :shrug:) but man ! You did lost a LOT of weight Karen ! :thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Awesome work Karen!

I got on the scale today, and I am down 9lbs!!!! :D Not sure exactly when I weighed in last, mid-Dec maybe? Down 9 since then! :thumbs up

Rottielover
January 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you guys, I feel amazing, especially after seeing these shots back at my face :)

Frenchy
January 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Awesome work Karen!

I got on the scale today, and I am down 9lbs!!!!

wooohooo FordGirl !!!!!! :thumbs up

SARAH
January 12th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Can you immagine your before/after pics come summer!!?? You won't even look like the same person! The difference is already almost too much to believe, so another 6 months ... old friends you haven't seen in a while will walk right past you and not even say hi, not being stuck up but simply not recognizing you :laughing:

Rottielover
January 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Way to go ford girl..Feels great doesn't it :)

I promised myself to go clothes shopping in may to get ready for summer :)

poodletalk
January 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Last night, I took Maggie for a long walk...while we walked we chased and kicked a soccer ball.

This morning, we did the samething for an hour it was alot of fun! Poor Maggie didn't want to come in, but her Mom has laundry and cleaning to do so maybe later tonight we will go out playing with the soccer ball.

So basically we have been doing this weightloss plan together for almost two weeks...I have lost 5 pounds it was pretty easy to loose but I have a feeling the next 5 pounds won't be.

I would like to go the gym today..but I am not sure if I will have time since I am going to my parents house for supper tonight.

Ford Girl
January 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Hello! How is everyone doing today? How was the weekend for everyone?

I had a good weekend, worse offense would have to be the lasagna I made last night, altho it's a healthier verson of the usual one I make, I added extra veggies, used whole wheat noodles, less cheese, and a layer of zucinni instead of sausage. It was still yummy, and it felt like we were chating cuz we were full, we haven't been full in a long time! LOL!! Oh, and we didn't have the usual cesar salad and bread and no dessert either, so that helped make it healthier.

Today I packed a great lunch, and I plan on walking the dog after work. I do have class Wed and Thurs this week which will make it impossible to work out in the evenings. Maybe I will try and get out at lunch time...:shrug:

Sometimes there isn't enough hours in the day to get work, dog, exercise, and extra activities in....:wall:

Rottielover
January 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I had a great weekend...LOL
Ate well, accidentally skipped a meal, no time to eat..Bad bad me...
Other than that great.
I went to curves today, and people have told me I was glowing..LOL, I said no I am not PG, I am happy. :P
Harley started saddle bagging, so more motivation to get me and Kayla off the couch, out of the house :)

Ford Girl
January 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Good morning!!!! So, is this thread dying or is everyone working out instead of posting? :shrug: :laughing:

Roll call!!! Where is everyone and how are they doing with this challange?

Let's here everyone's biggest temptation in the last week and how they dealt with it!

I am doing good, altho fighting a cold. :sick: Not very hungry, and exhausted, but trying my best to drink plenty of fluids and eat bits of good things...sleep is what I need most!! :sleepy:

Biggest temptation - Sunday afternoon munchies while watching a movie - almost had nachos but popped some popcorn instead! (sent the nacho chips to work with DH yesterday!)

poodletalk
January 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Eating healthy is going well....food wise there's no big tempations since I eat everything but in a smaller portain.

Excerise is ok...not as good as last week though. My dogwalker canceled this week so my dog has no afternoon walks. I am not going to the gym after work since the day is too long for her without being let out.

So we go for long walks and we play "snow soccer" where we run and chase after a soccerball in the backyard. The only problem, we play soccer for an hour, I am wet and cold and Maggie is still rearing to go!

I am always explaining to her, I am not a husky...like her and I am cold!! Plus if I catch a cold I won't be able to go to work therefore no I can't buy her "cookies" Soon as she hears "cookies", she's ready to go inside. :)

If I remember tonight, I will take pictures of us playing snow soccer. She makes an excellent goalie.