Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What did you eat for New Years?

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Someone gave us a nice prime rib roast, so I cooked that. And tried something entirely new that I never made before - Yorkshire pudding. It's a British thing. Hubby's family tree is mostly British, with some Italian thrown in.

The roast turned out beautiful, slightly rare in the middle and crusty on the outside. I brined it for a few hours before cooking. It was the best one I ever made.

Was proud of my puddings, and hubby took a pic. :laughing: Although a couple of them were a bit overdone.

It was not a healthy meal, but hey... once a year never hurt anyone. :laughing: There were 5 of us, and we had a few laughs.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0001-13.jpg

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
One of these New Year's Eves, we'll put a lobster tail on the BBQ :) in the mean time, a T-bone and 4 shrimp each did the trick, with a salad first, and leek puree and baked squash to go with the meat and shrimp.

I had half a glass of red wine, Lew had 2 but one was to keep warm while he was grilling!

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
The Yorkshire pud ... normally it's with a roast beef, not rib roast :confused:

Lukka'sma
January 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Well the meal looks very tasty, I'm sure it was a big hit with everyone
I was at work during the dinner hour yesterday so I had a honey maple turkey sandwich that I took with me and a 7-UP. Very uninteresting, but tonight will be a repeat as I head to work soon:laughing:

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
The Yorkshire pud ... normally it's with a roast beef, not rib roast :confused:

Prime rib.... standing rib... rib roast... whatever people call it, it's the same area on the cow. Normally associated with beef, although you can get the same type of cut from other animals and they probably call it by another term. It's very very tender meat, if it is from not an old cow.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/_derived/b_and_w_beef_chart_photo.htm_txt_beefchartoldbw.gi f

From that section you also get rib steaks. So when rib steaks go on sale, ask the butcher to cut you a 2-4 rib chunk. Ours was 2 rib and fed 5 people, plus a good bit left over.

Kristin7
January 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Wow, those pics look yummy! I'm not sure what Yorkshire pudding is but they look great in the pic - what is in it?

My boyfriend and I had grilled rib-eye steak, potatoes and sauted onions and mushrooms to go on the steaks. And some red wine - all very good!

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
All they are ...

eggs
milk
flour
meat drippings

Batter is room temp, muffin pans with a bit of meat drippings in each one, put into a 400 deg F oven to warm up. Take pans out, pour in batter. Cook 20 minutes, don't open the door. They should come out crispy but not black like some of mine were. Only 'cause my oven sucks.

The eggs make them rise. :D

Like I said, not healthy. But wow... ever yummy!!

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I love yorkshires....yum!!! You can also buy the Clubhouse packet, it makes 6, if you are in a hurry and want a nice side dish, they are not homemade but still good, all you add is egg and oil.

Well, new years eve we had a frozen lasagna, went out at 7, ate wings and all kinds of other goddies at the party. We didn't cook anything fancy as we left the house befere 7:00, didn't get home until 9am the next day! I won't mentioned the booze we consummed....ok?

Please don't ask what we ate new years day:eek:, it was our last pig out for a LONG time! :laughing: I swear to dog....:pray:

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Prime rib.... standing rib... rib roast... whatever people call it, it's the same area on the cow. Normally associated with beef, although you can get the same type of cut from other animals and they probably call it by another term. It's very very tender meat, if it is from not an old cow.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/_derived/b_and_w_beef_chart_photo.htm_txt_beefchartoldbw.gi f

From that section you also get rib steaks. So when rib steaks go on sale, ask the butcher to cut you a 2-4 rib chunk. Ours was 2 rib and fed 5 people, plus a good bit left over.

AHA, I was associating the rib roast with pork, that's why I asked :D

All they are ...

eggs
milk
flour
meat drippings

Batter is room temp, muffin pans with a bit of meat drippings in each one, put into a 400 deg F oven to warm up. Take pans out, pour in batter. Cook 20 minutes, don't open the door. They should come out crispy but not black like some of mine were. Only 'cause my oven sucks.

The eggs make them rise. :D

Like I said, not healthy. But wow... ever yummy!!

Proportions please? I mean, how many eggs for how much flour and milk to get the right consistency of course but how is it ... like pancakes or thicker?

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I got the recipe online. hehe

3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs - room temp
3/4 cup milk - room temp
meat drippings

I doubled that and it made the two 12 muffin tins.

Actually my recipe says 450 F but my oven burns too hot sometimes so I turn it down to 400 to 425.

I drained 99% of the fat from the pan that the roast cooked in and deglazed the pan with a tiny bit of red wine and some water and thickened the gravy to an au jus.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

jesse's mommy
January 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
We ordered pizza. :o Then we went over a friends house for a bit.

luckypenny
January 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
A friend of mine stayed over and offered to cook up whatever I wanted. All I could think of was "palachinka." I hadn't had it since I was a kid.

PALACHINKA OR CREPE SUZETTES (Croatian)
Printed from COOKS.COM

3 eggs
1 qt. milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sugar
3 3/4 c. unsifted flour
6 tbsp. melted butter

CHEESE FILLING:

2 lbs. cottage cheese
1/2 c. sugar
Dash salt
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Thoroughly mix all dry ingredients with milk and eggs. Add melted butter and blend well. Spread 1/4 cup batter on hot greased pan. Tip pan to get very thin pancake.

This is what I found online but they forget to mention to add the cheese filling, roll, and bake in oven for 20 minutes with sweetened sour cream poured on top. The kids had theirs with nutella, and I asked for a few extra with rosehip jam and plum jam. It was awesome!

Bearsmom
January 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
God, that looks so good! I had 2 tablespoons of rice and 3 cans of ginger ale...gotta love the New Year's Eve stomach flu.:yuck:

jessi76
January 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
oooh those do look yummy!

I made tuna noodle casserole. but in my defense, I have a baby at home, so big fancy meals simply don't work for us right now.....not to mention my prime rib budget now goes to daycare. and of course, the dog/cats still get high quality foods, so we end up w/ tuna on a holiday. sheesh... :rolleyes:

CearaQC
January 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Big fancy meals are rarely a part of our budget because normally we eat simple and light just about every day... but who can resist when someone gives a nice cut of meat as a gift?

I find it's also good to go all out for a couple of times a year. Hubby usually has a lobster feast in May, but didn't in 2007 because I talked him out of it. I told him lobsters are cockroaches of the ocean in my opinion. :laughing: Lobsters and sea scallops are pretty inexpensive here if you can convince the fishermen to sell you a few "on the side." Couple of years ago we got quart bags crammed full of huge sea scallops for $8 a pound. But since then the fisherman doesn't want to or cannot sell under the table for some reason any more. :sad: