Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breeding...

poodletalk
January 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I don't want a debate or any pro sterilization answers. I am FOR sterilization and I am againest breeding.

I have a question though, how often does an ethical registered "breeder" breed their female dog in a year.

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I've looked at many breeder websites over the years and from what I read, they breed once a year or once every other year. But honestly I really don't know what is the norm.

Seems like it would be too hard on the females to have two litters per year like the puppy mills do.

LavenderRott
January 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Generally, only once a year. I do know a couple of breeders who will breed two heat cycles in a row and then skip a year or two before breeding a third and often final litter.

Lukka'sma
January 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't know about many breeders but two of the breeders I was in touch with when I bought Lukka breed after enough applications have been accepted to adopt out a litter of at least 8 or so pups. We had to go on a waiting list for a few months before we got Lukka.

Longblades
January 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
The most often repeated numbers I got when looking into Labrador Retreivers and ESS was once every two years after the age of two and no more than three times in the bitch's life. That would work out to never after the age of about 6 or 7. And never if not started before age 3.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
The most often repeated numbers I got when looking into Labrador Retreivers and ESS was once every two years after the age of two and no more than three times in the bitch's life. That would work out to never after the age of about 6 or 7. And never if not started before age 3.

I heard the same thing .

StumpsMom
January 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
I heard the same thing .

Me too, but from my experience in researching Mastiff breeding, I've not heard of females being bred past the age of 5. So, not before age 2, and no more than on litter per year.