Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Licking Licking Licking

Tee
January 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Our cockapoo has taken on licking until we are screaming - he's been to the vet, on benadryl, steroids, chnage in food, and nothing seems to help. Anybody...help!!!!

CearaQC
January 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
How much exercise does he get?

Welcome... any pictures? It's like an initiation of sorts to share pics. lol I had to go through it too. :D

argo2001
January 2nd, 2008, 10:44 AM
My sister's golden retriever has some food and inhalant allergies and the way we found out was by her non stop licking and frequent ear infections. We took her to a number of vets and they all said the licking she was doing was a sign of allergies. We ended up having a blood test on her to prove what she was allergic to because without the blood test it was all just a guess. It was 2 years ago but I think that blood test was around $200. In food she is sensitive to Beef, Lamb, Peanut, Barley, Soy Beans and Beets. In Inhalants she is allergic to a bunch of things from cottonwood trees to ragweed. We give her allergy shots for the inhalant sensitivities and we try to watch all the food we feed her...that is kind of hard cause she is a thief when she thinks we are not looking. I believe the shots help her a lot. It was hard for me to learn how to give her shots at first but we are use to it now. She still licks sometimes but nothing like she use to. I find when she starts linking a bunch it is towards the time she is due for another injection (once a month ). One other thing the vet told us is that she can develop more allergies in the future.
One helpful hint from the lady that owns the feed store I buy from is to wash the dogs feet a lot and to make sure her fur is in really great condition. I think that helps as well.