Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!!

bullie_mama
January 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
:shrug: I have 2 pitbulls 6 months old, 1 male, 1 female. They are crate trained with no problem. However, they will walk and pee at the same time all over the house! I don't even realize that they're peeing until I step in it. Also, how do you get them to alert you when they need to go out?They are both negative for any medical issues. Please help. Husband says he's had enough.

luckypenny
January 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the forum bullie_mama.

I hung bells on the handle of our patios doors and rung them each time I brought my dogs out (at least every 2 hours). It took them no time at all to learn to ring the bells when they wanted out. Now our Penny rings them every 10 minutes, not just to pee but to play :rolleyes: .

When you say they are "negative for any health issues," what exactly has been looked into?

bullie_mama
January 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
We were told that there were no problems with infection, anatomy, or bladder issues. I can't tell if it's just the male or both. There's just a trail of urine. I like the bell idea- they've learned to open interior doors when they want to go into the kids rooms, they should be able to pick that up. Thanks for the advice.

luckypenny
January 1st, 2008, 11:04 PM
Sometimes, if a male is not fixed, he may start marking in the house. Just a fyi.

Consistency is what's important when housetraining pups. Make sure to take them out at least every 2 hours, after meals, and following naps. Don't forget to go out with them and praise like crazy when they do eliminate outdoors. And if they've had an accident inside, well, it's just that...an accident :shrug:. Don't punish them for the behavior but keep a better eye on them to prevent it from happening again. Good luck.

bullie_mama
January 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm getting him fixed next week - maybe that will help ~ any suggestions to prevent digging up the yard??

luckypenny
January 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
... any suggestions to prevent digging up the yard??

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Ahhh, puppies :cloud9: .

We have a digger (and she taught the other two as well :frustrated:) and the only way to prevent her is to always supervise. As soon as she starts, I say, "uh uh" and she stops. But she's a little bugger because she'll just wait until you turn around before continuing. Again, supervision is your best tool to prevent any unwanted behavior and to encourage all good behavior.

We've turned a small vegetable garden into a giant sandbox for our dogs and only allow them to dig there. It keeps them busy. Dirty...but busy :D . You can actually teach your dogs to dig in appropriate places like a small sandpit. Choose your designated spot, put a short border around it, bury treats and toys when your pups are not around...then get out there with them and show them how to dig them up. It really works and is lots of fun for them too. Just make sure to be out with them in case they decide to search for buried treasure elsewhere on the lawn.

bullie_mama
January 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ohhh, thats fabulous!!! My babies have dug a tunnel deep enough to hide both of them in. I'm wanting them to grow out of some of their behavior issues ~ I know supervision is best ~ Sometimes it would be so nice if I could just open the door, say "Go Potty" and could count on them to do their business and come in. And oh my goodness, I have never had to buy so many new shoes in such a small time period. I love these bullies so much (can't have any more childeren of my own) I'm having a pro trainer come out to the house in a few weeks ~ I just need to learn to be a good Pack Leader!

luckypenny
January 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
Sometimes it's hard not to treat them like large overstuffed breathing teddy bears; I can be guilty of that too sometimes :o but often, we, as owners, are responsible for a lot of their behavior issues. Kudos to you for looking for professional help. And when Hubby gets to his wits end, just give him a big hug and a bigger smile and ask him how long does he think it took his parents to potty train him ;) . That usually quiets them down for a bit :D .

And feel free to post lots and lots of photos of your pups here. Being adorable :cloud9:, being :angel:s, and being little :evil:s so we can all oooh and ahhh and get a good laugh too.