Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6yo Son wants a Gecko.

monkeymudge
June 7th, 2004, 01:07 PM
My 6yo son wants a gecko. He knows that an animal is hard work. We have a cat. Where do we start. How much space, supplies, money time should we be planning for. Please help. Geckos are more fragile than cats and we want to do it right. Do Geckos like to be held and played with?

Thanks

Ann Marie

Lucky Rescue
June 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Lizards generally have strict requirements when it comes to food, heat, light, temperature etc. and a 6 yr old cannot be expected to care for it for it's lifespan and is likely to become bored with a lizard sitting in a tank.

As long as you realize that YOU will be be providing the bulk of the care that goes into it, then go ahead.:)

Lizards can become quite tame, but most do not like being held or played with. They are not playful, and to most of them being picked up or grabbed means being eaten, and a gecko grabbed by it's tail will shed the tail right in your hand!

If you still want one, the Leopard gecko is one of the easier types to care for and is more forgiving of imperfect environment.

Please research this carefully first as many lizards have very short lifespans due to improper care. I'm sure you can go to Google and type in "gecko pets" and get all the information you need!

Catt31
June 8th, 2004, 08:22 AM
We have 3 Leopard geckos and they are awesome pets....rather easy to take care of actually. We also have a house gecko (the small ones) and an anole (a type of lizard)...but the leopards are easy to handle and are very very soft.

We have the 3 in a 30 gallon tank (terrarium) with a screen lid. Inside we have reptile carpet (don't use dirt or sand - when they go to eat they swallow the dirt and can cause them to choke), a few rocks and a little cave for them to go in. They also have a little water dish. We use a red heat bulb that stays on 24/7...the bulbs run about $20 each and last about a month. Every 2 or 3 weeks we feed them live crickets (about 30) which cost about $6. For a treat we feed them silkworms or pinkie mice too. And THAT is it!!! They are very low maintenance (sweep up their poo once a week and feed them) and incrediblly amazing to watch!!! My fiancee calls them the perfect "bachelor" pet because they thrive on neglect...but since I've come into the picture they aren't neglected!!! I love taking them out and watching them. I have 2 cats and a dog, so that shouldn't be an issue with your cat, just don't let the cat in the same room when your son is playing with the gecko!!

If you are going to get one, I would recommend doing your research like LR said, then going to a reputable reptile/amphibian dealer. Where do you live Ann Marie??

Another great lizard to get is a bearded dragon, however they are more work and a bit more expensive to keep as they require a certain temp. and a variety of bulbs to attain this. That will be the next lizard we get!!

Good luck and keep me posted!!!