Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has Anyone...

OC_Spirit
January 1st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Has anyone heard of the kibble company called "Horizon"? Its new to my pet shop so I picked up a bag. Their Legacy formula is grain-free which is a deffinate bonus!

here's their site http://horizonpetfood.com/

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, I'm going to be putting Willow on Legacy very shortly.

My trainer uses it and swears by it.

KimandAutumn
January 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
A lady that works at my Global Pet foods who also breeds Great Danes suggested this food to me. She gave me a couple sample bags to try out. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks nice.

Purpledomino
January 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
The ingredients look really good. I think its cute that a Saskatchewan company puts Saskatoon berries in its kibble. :thumbs up

Mamakicia
January 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
The ingredients look really good. I think its cute that a Saskatchewan company puts Saskatoon berries in its kibble. :thumbs up

Hey Purpledomino - I like your signature. You know you love you cats when Starbucks guy always asks you how your cats are before he asks you how you are!!! :goodvibes:

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
I've been thinking of trying this as well. The only concern I have is the pea starch concentrate as it seems to be a fairly new ingredient. I posted a thread on that earlier and someone (Ceara, I think) posted a link. I'll see if I can find it.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Here's the other thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47403

rainbow
January 6th, 2008, 02:15 AM
OC Spirit, KimandAutumn & Byrd, please post with an update after your dogs have tried this for awhile. :o

Ford Girl
March 24th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Have you guys started the Horizon food? I started Dazy on it yesterday, not the grain free Legacy, the original formula, I liked her poops better on a food with grains. :shrug: So we are trying this rather then grain free. She seemed to like it alot, and it's cheaper then the Orijen, not that that is how I base my choice but it's a bonus. (I liked Orijen, but had to make a switch cuz she refused it after being ill for a long time - not food related)

rainbow
March 26th, 2008, 07:16 PM
According to their website the original Horizon food still has menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K3) in it. :sad: It is banned for human consumption and there is controversy about it being linked to cancer. :eek:

Ford Girl
March 27th, 2008, 11:38 AM
According to their website the original Horizon food still has menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K3) in it. :sad: It is banned for human consumption and there is controversy about it being linked to cancer. :eek:

Really? :eek: I'm going to write them a letter, will share the details...

You know, ever since I got myself super worried over the meds Dazy was on, and then my vet showed me actual vet info, from bet text books and authentic sources, not posted on websites by random people, I am always second guessing warnings and info I find on public sites where anyone can post...:shrug: Same with meticam...he showed me actual info, and it doesn't sound as "grave" or "dangerous" as the internet would lead you to believe...

I will certainly look into it, but will ask my vet for authentic info on the effects it might have on animals...

http://www.petfoodindustry.com/ViewArticle.aspx?id=16414 this site shows the opposite....so like anything else, many many theories out there...LOL!

I just sent them a note anyways...will see what they say!

Ford Girl
March 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Their reply (wow, fast!!):

Hi Teri. Thanks for your email. We have taken Vitamin K3 out of Complete but we have to run through our supply of bags before this is reflected.

J***n - Horizon
Regards,

J***n B***y

So regardless of the disputed effects, they've taken it out, wooo hoo!!!

Rainbow, did you see anything else thats "iffy"? I dont know these things...so its' good to have someone point them out...:thumbs up

rainbow
April 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Glad to hear they took the Vitamin K3 out. :thumbs up The rest of the ingredients look okay so hope it works for Dazy. :goodvibes:

If not, I've used Acana Salmon & Potato (Champion Pet Foods) with good results. They also have a couple of other formulas. :o

Ford Girl
April 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Glad to hear they took the Vitamin K3 out. :thumbs up The rest of the ingredients look okay so hope it works for Dazy. :goodvibes:

If not, I've used Acana Salmon & Potato (Champion Pet Foods) with good results. They also have a couple of other formulas. :o

So far, so good, 2 weeks now, doing well, eating plain kibble. :thumbs up

rainbow
April 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
YAY Dazy. :highfive: She's back to her regular :crazy: self. :thumbs up

marjrc
April 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I've also been wondering about Horizon and might try that, though one of my dogs is on Orijen and it's working well. Why fix it, if it ain't broke, right? ;)

My other dog has undiagnosed liver issues for now and I'm keeping him on Fromm's mixed with Solid Gold's Holistique just as a precaution. I do love the Orijen though. I think that for cost reasons, I might consider the Horizon for the dogs. I am trying it out with some samples, on my two cats.

Am interested in more feedback as more people try it. Thanks! :)

Ford Girl
April 16th, 2008, 01:48 PM
So far so good on the regular Horizon kibble. Altho my dog finds any kibble dry so I have to add wet food to it, or water, or broth, anything to wet it. Poops are way smaller and way less stinky on the Horizon then Orijen, and according to the bag she is to have 3 cups a day, but is down to 2.5 cuz she just doesn't seem as hungry on it.

Besides her Horizon kibble and Merrick soft she gets fresh fruit and veggies, raw and cooked meats...not every meal, but often. She is tall and lean, a super efficient fat and calorie burning machine...so I don't adjust her kibble intake.

And did I mention $20 less per bag? :D

rainbow
April 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
OC Spirit, KimandAutumn & Byrd, please post with an update after your dogs have tried this for awhile. :o

Byrd, hey, you're logged on so I hope you see this. :D