Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Waterproof collars by LL Bean

JanM
January 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Has anyone tried these collars? They are only $7.95 which I find awfully inexpensive for a supposedly "good" collar so it makes me wonder if they are any good.

If anyone has one, I'd sure like to hear if you like it or don't like it... The collars are advertized as being specially for Retrievers - when wet the collar won't get soaked and won't irritate the dog's neck.

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Where did you see this? Sounds good for both swimmers, rainy walks and melting snow!

otter
January 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
I looked at those too, and was equally skeptical. I'm curious as to what they are like.

A bit off topic ... would it be good to have a "product" review thread? I often wonder about buying toys, etc. and would love to have someone elses input. The same, I buy lots of stuff just to try it out and I would be happy to share my experiences. Think i'll start a new thread about this, sorry to intrude:offtopic:

breeze
January 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
do you have a web page we can take a look at them?? I have never heard about them.. Bree wears a leather brindle collar (rounded leather) cause of her long fur the regular collars get caught in her fur..

but I would like to look at them..

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I would like a link too please.

I've seen waterproof collars, but not for that price. I would like one as Willow swims a lot, and we are going to take dock diving in the summer.

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Oh, I Googled them: http://www.llbean.com/cd-1/23295.shtml

I think these are the ones I've seen, and I've heard great things about other people who have them.

breeze
January 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
It looks like nylon

do you think there is a special coating on it??

otter
January 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of buckles (prefer the clip type) otherwise I probably would have tried one already. As you all know, Molly is addicted to water:D

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah, they're coated.

Lissa
January 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
I have the Remington waterproof collar (looks identical to the LL Bean one)... These collars are the best (when a couple of places stopped stocking, I panicked and bought extra's in case I couldn't find them in the future:o)... Dodger's walks consist of hiking in woods and creeks and in the summer he swims at our trailer all the time... This collar is definately waterproof - it doesn't fray or get stinky (even when Dodger was skunked). He's had this collar for almost 3 years (I am definately sick of orange) but at least I can rotate it with his reflective green/yellow one!
Some people can't get used to the O ring (the idea behind it is so hunting dogs have a better chance of getting untangled because the O ring "flips")... Its never been a problem for me (although its definately harder to attach tags too- Dodger has the slide on style instead of a drop tag)
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/LissaPaws/IMG_0470.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb63/LissaPaws/collar.jpg

JanM
January 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Lissa - they do look identical - and you say you like yours... so, I'm going to order one and see how I like it. Amber is always wet and Bobby seldom gets wet so I'll try one collar for now.

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Ah, it's probably that one I saw then.

I put in an order, but haven't actually ordered yet. The engraving is cheap too, with Willow's name and phone number it comes to $13.50. Haven't seen the shipping cost yet though, that will make the difference.

As for the tags, they don't have to wear the collar all the time. I'll only use it when I know for sure she's going to get wet.

JanM
January 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
I just ordered a green one - should be here in about 9 days so I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Thanks Lissa - it's always helpful to know that someone else has tried this stuff and it either works or doesn't! BTW - your dog is gorgeous :D

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
Cool. We aren't going to be swimming til at least May, so I'll save my pennies for now. For sure let us know how it is. :thumbs up

How was the shipping?

JanM
January 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Cool. We aren't going to be swimming til at least May, so I'll save my pennies for now. For sure let us know how it is. :thumbs up

How was the shipping?

LL Bean has free shipping to Canada - at least they did over Christmas - sheesh - never thought to check! I also ordered one of their pet blankets too - they're great in the car. I put grommets in them and hang them around the head rests so the whole seat is protected.

Anyway, I'll find out about the shipping charges when it arrives..

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
I LOVE these collars! Only collars I have ever owned that never smell :thumbs up. I have three and ordered them from a Cdn listing on Ebay. I hate ordering stuff from the US because they always want to ship it UPS and UPS dings us big time for "brokerage fees". Some toys I ordered from the states that were only $18 cost me another $15 in fees :frustrated:. If you can get them to ship just regular US postal then that situation doesn't apply.

Here is the link for the place I bought from and they gave excellent service :thumbs up.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Andiamo-Pets

I have a blue one for Lucy and Riley has both a yellow one and an orange one. I even bought a red one for my mom's dog.

I actually like the ones that are not "dayglo" better than the others as the finish on the regular ones looks more natural.

Lissa
January 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
JanM - I hope you like the collar as much as I do!!

I LOVE these collars! Only collars I have ever owned that never smell :thumbs up.

I think the one's you are talking about are the biothane collars. I've always wondered if they are as good as the plastice coated nylon one's... It certainly sounds like it so I will look around for them (blue sounds great to me LOL).

CyberKitten
January 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM
My brother's (and my fav, lol) chocolate lab has one and they are made specifically for retrieving dogs so I'd recommend them for that kind of dog. Not sure if they are OK for smaller dogs-

They are found here:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=23295&sc1=Search&feat=sr

LL Bean typically has great quality stuff s( we go there a lot, lol) or shop online but it's fun just to go to Freeport to the outlet area for a weekend.

I was just at that web site ironically before coming here, lol