Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Red eye color?

ebony
January 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
hello I am the new owner ob a black toy poodle named ebony. Sometimes ebon'y eye color appears red, the it will change back to black, has anyone else experienced this and is this a sign of anything wrong?

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Light breaking. If you look at some pics, animals - and humans - get that red eye. Not that they have red eyes, but there is the light from the flash (or a lamp, sun, any light source) at a specific angle that will make the eye appear red.
Like the prism of chrystal reflecting all the colors of the rainbow ... except here it's just red.

Physics. I was not good at that, in facrt it was one of my worst subjects (with chemistry and maths) but this much I did get ... :D

B T W, we N E E D pics of Ebony. It's imperativ!

hazelrunpack
January 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Do you mean the red reflection you sometimes get in low light? Or is the iris or the sclera turning red?

The first is normal--and you can sometimes get a greenish glow, too--but if it's the iris or the white of the eye (the sclera) you should get your dog to a vet...and an ophthalmic vet if you can find one...as soon as you can! I hope it's just the normal red-eye reflection :fingerscr

Welcome to the board, ebony.

If you have some pictures of Ebony to post, we'd love to see them! :D

14+kitties
January 1st, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi Ebony! Or more to the point - Ebony's new slave. :rolleyes: :laughing:
Welcome and I second(third) the request for pictures. I have a 13 year old silver toy. Her eyes always have a red glow to them at certain times of the day when the light catches them. But do take her to the vet to be checked.
They are the smartest little things. :lovestruck: She will give you loads of love and laughs I'm sure.

ebony
January 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
I do notice that the light has something to do with it it is the pupils that appears red not the white part, I will get my daughter to post pics b/c i do not know how. I am glad I found this site, I have only had my dog a week and my daughter watches every little thing about him, then she ask me, I am nurse but don't know much about dogs, this way she can ask you guys who actually know something. I will get pic on as soon as she can get on.