Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Scared Kitty

kit1469
January 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
My kittens have been acting really strange lately . Satis my youngest has been meowing every time we pick her up (this has been going on for awhile but we recently lived in a place where the cat that lived there did the same and thought she may have just picked it up from there ..) but now she is cowering when we go to pet her too ... she still cuddles with us and plays but im wondering why she does this ... we have NEVER hit her or been violent in anyway all shes known from us is love... then theres cleo ... hes a little over a year now (onofficail bday in october) and he has always been a timid cat but now hes being SUPER skittish jumping at everything .. picking fights with satis and meowing non-stop.. he does meow occasionally .. we think that he gets lost and is looking for us (even though our place is real small ) but this is very unushuall because he dosent quiet down when we call him or go to him ......the thing that worries me the most though is the fact that they arent getting along very well we got satis about 3 weeks after cleo and they were both very young .. they have been best friends ever since and though they do play fight ... this seems to me like its real .. does anyone have an idea about whats wrong with them ... i read somwhere that cats will try very hard to hide illness from thier owners.. im worried cleo could be sick .. but he is eating and playing and seems verry active just verry confused ... im hoping someone will have something for me :shrug:.. thanx a bunch

Winston
January 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Hey welcome! I think a quick vet visit may be in order just to see why she is in pain when you oick her up? Maybe she cowers because someone has swatted at her or something...Cats are funny! Some take along time to get over things that upset them!

How old are the cats?

Cindy

P.S Would love to see some pics!!

ancientgirl
January 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
I second Winston on the vet visit. At least then you'd know there wasn't anything physical wrong with them.

My Oksana makes this little noise when I pick her up. It almost sounds like a whiny no. She doesn't like to be picked up, which is a big contrast to when she was a kitten. I thought she was going to be a lap kitty, but nope.

As for the skittishness, perhaps there was some loud noise that went off while you weren't home that has frightened Cleo.

I'm fairly new to cat ownership too. I had two when I was in high school, but that was um...a long time ago. I have 4 now and every little out of the ordinary thing I wonder about. But take them to the vet and at least you will know that at least health wise they are okay. You're vet might also give you some insight on their behavior. Mine is very helpful whenever I have a question about the way they are acting.

Good luck and please let us know the outcome.:)

14+kitties
January 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm fairly new to cat ownership too. I had two when I was in high school, but that was um...a long time ago. I have 4 now and every little out of the ordinary thing I wonder about. But take them to the vet and at least you will know that at least health wise they are okay. You're vet might also give you some insight on their behavior. Mine is very helpful whenever I have a question about the way they are acting.

Ummmm ancient..... 4??? ;)

ancientgirl
January 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ummmm ancient..... 4??? ;)

:wall:OMG I've got it so ingrained in my brain to say 4 when anybody asks! :laughing:

At the BBQ today I kept telling myself, "Say 4 if anyone asks, say 4"

:sorry::offtopic:

kit1469
January 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
see the problem is tho my vet is capable they arent exactly .. well easy to understand would be the way to put it .. they dont speak alot of english but they are the best ones in town .. the other one in town have a reputation for being cruel and not understanding... and they cost alot ... i love my kitties and i would spend every last penny on them .. but i have absolutely no income untill i go back to school ........ so unless there is a specific reason to go id prefer not to .. please dont take this as me not caring about my kittens but they are eating, playing, going to the bathroom and all other stuff normally ..

Cleo is just over a year ~ bday aproximately in late october
satis is just under as year her bday in feb sometime we think

i would love to post some pics but i dont know how to on here lol

kit1469
January 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
as for something scaring them we believe that both kittens were abused before they came to us .. cleo unintentionally .. ( i rescued him from a snow bank and a bunch of rather young kids who liked to play with him ..) satis we got from a family .. but her behaviour and thier manor when dealing with her suggested she wasnt treated at all right ..

thanx for ur replys .. any other ideas tho??