Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Waiting for midnight to strike ...

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:07 AM
... so we could go to sleep!

Anyway, first we had our barbeque steak and shrimp, with a baked squash and pureed leeks, and a salad first of course. Misti had to be outside to watch, and got her leash tangled as usual :rolleyes:

The candles on the table ... well, we haven't finished burning the advent lights yet :laughing:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
... we went downstairs to watch TV, and wait for time to pass ...

Misti was sleeping on the afghan at my feet, but of course, Spoutnik had to come along. First he looked like he would cuddle and sleep too, but then he saw Misti's tail and just had to attack it! The result of course, being what it had to be :laughing:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM
... but where is Misti? In the first pic that is ...

Well, Spoutnik found her, and guess who took over the spot she had :rolleyes:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
... revenge! Lewis helped Misti (unintentionally) by closing the lid on Spotnik :D which of course sent him out of the bag as soon as he could. Misti lost interest and left, but Spoutnik was not going to be beaten by a bag!!

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008 !!!!

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
very cute pictures Sarah. I don't eat steak but it all looked yummy. Misti and Spoutnik seem like they're already good friends ?

So I guess you're starting another thread for the dogs right about now ? :rolleyes: :pray:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM
I wish, lol. Sheba was snoozing on the couch next to us, Dani wasn't even in the room, she'd gone to bed already :laughing:

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Dani wasn't even in the room, she'd gone to bed already :laughing:

:laughing: good little girl Dani ! :angel:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM
She has her bed time, both to go to bed and to get up, doesn't care if it's holiday, New Year or work days :frustrated: still, she's such a sweet little girl, so smart and pretty! (Can you tell I love her? :laughing: :lovestruck: )

Old Shebz (short for Sheba, lol) is more of a cuddle-smoocher and has to be where we are, me especially. She'll just sleep wherever we are, and go to bed when we do, not getting up unless I do!

Right now, she's sleeping in the middle of the office floor, behind me. No idea where the other three are :confused:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
... not a lot I can do with the two sleepy-heads, but here is Sheba on the couch last night, Spoutnik going to her for comfort after Misti smacked him, defending her tail :laughing:

I also have one of Dani from the other night, on squirrel-and-coon watch in the livingroom upstairs :D

And just to show you, "Chips". The feral kitten we didn't keep because he attacked poor gentle Sheba and hissed and spat and growled at everyone else! A great cat for someone without other pets though.

"It's snowing again, cool !" says Lewis ... he loves his new "toy" :D (the snowblower)

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Spoutnik must be so comfy against Sheba's fur. :cloud9:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
He loves his "doggy-mama" :lovestruck: :D

Dani and Misti are for playing, bur Sheba is for protection and sleeping.

Lew and I? Well, we do double duty :laughing:

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Nice Sheba ! If i remember correctly , she was the only foster who wanted to chase Monsieur le chat , (and Monsieur le chat is not the type because he never runs away but confronts the dogs :evil:) I don't think she liked him too much :laughing:

I'm glad she now knows they are part of the family. :thumbs up

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Well, Misti she met on neutral grounds (at the vet hospital in Hudson) before we took the kitten home, and Misti is a very calm cat.

Spoutnik didn't get a warm welcome from Sheba at all, in fact we were a little worried the first few days. She would bark and growl at him and act menacingly even. Weird, seeing how small he was, but maybe she sensed that he was sick/weak and had a natural animal reaction to that.

Still, as soon as she realized he was a baby, she got all protective of him and lets him do just about anything he wants to her :) sitting on her back, "grooming" her tail and fanning leg hair (and belly hair too, he's not picky :D ), but ... stay away from my food, cat, grrrr!

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Now that's a case of 'monkey see, monkey do'.

So, what do pureed leeks taste like? Do you make it into a soup-like thingy?

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, pureed leeks taste a lot milder than you'd thnik.

Cook any number of leek you have available (I had one full bunch) after cleaning and cutting them into small pieces. Easiest way to cut leeks is with scissors!

Once tender (they cook fast) drain all water and puree either with an upright thing you plunge into your pot, or by transferring the leek to a blender (more mess though).

Add a little liquid (cream and/or the water you cooked the leek in) and an egg. You want the consistency of mashed potatoes but a little on the loser side.

Add sea salt and ground pepper to taste.

Healthy, simple and yummy. You can stuff rolled crepes with this, serve it as is with anything (meats, seafood), and the leftovers you just add more of the cooking water and some milk, and presto: soup!

Just one thing with leeks: there is often earth/sand between the leaves. Cut in half length wise and rince under running water to get all the sand out. Gritty leek dishes are a turn-off :yuck:

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
hhhhmmmm Sounds interesting.

brandynva
January 1st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Those are great pictures! It is always nice to get a snapshot, or two, of other people's lives. :D Thanks for sharing!

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Great pics :thumbs up oohh the antics of the very young & kittenish :evil: :lovestruck:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Snow, did anyone say snow?

Here's Sheba wondering why in the world I'm wasting time taking a picture of her getting all snowed under, when all she wants is to come inside!

Misti couldn't care less, she was digging in the light fluffy snow and making a cloud around herself - too late with the camera :frustrated:

And Dani? Inside? What for? I think you're right mom, I must be part husky or some other spitz, I love it out here!

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM
Here are the three outside-going kritters again ... you may notice who is back inside (and in what state) and who is not.

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Mind???? :rolleyes: you're kidding right? :p :laughing:

:cloud9: Can I have some of your snow? :cloud9:

Don't you love how they always wait until they're inside & standing right beside you before they shake :mwaha:

I tried to get :rip::dog: Cally to shake the rain off outside before coming in = always a 1/2 a:censored:sed attempted, let him in & a full blown shake all over me :rolleyes::laughing:

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
Mind???? :rolleyes: you're kidding right? :laughing:

YUP, :laughing:

:cloud9: Can I have some of your snow? :cloud9: Come and get it!! PLEASE :yell:

Don't you love how they always wait until they're inside & standing right beside you before they shake :mwaha:

I tried to get :rip::dog: Cally to shake the rain off outside before coming in = always a 1/2 a:censored:sed attempted, let him in & a full blown shake all over me :rolleyes::laughing:

These two, don't even shake the snow, they let it melt ...

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
hehe hehe well they must like the snow to some degree than :shrug:

Dani's so cute playing in the snow, not wanting to come in :D Is her coat thicker than Shebas'?

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
Same basic coat, Golden and Duck Toller, both retrievers, and Dani doesn't have any husky-wool or anything either, she just smells more like a spitz than Sheba does, which is why I'm theorizing as to her other breed mix-in.

She's back outside btw, was dancing and looking all happy inside the door, so I let her out. Of course, Sheba had to follow, even though she doesn't like the cold fluff too much (pee-break maybe?).

The cats are sleeping in their beds side-by-side near that door, and there are birds in the newly-filled feeder (well, at least the tawny woodpecker is there!)

allymack
January 1st, 2008, 02:18 PM
boy would my cat ever love to be out side, even tied up, but i know he would manage to get out of the harness:rolleyes: really cute pictures :)

14+kitties
January 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
Once tender (they cook fast) drain all water and puree either with an upright thing you plunge into your pot, or by transferring the leek to a blender (more mess though).

Hey Sarah..... is "an upright thing" the technical term for the hand mixer. :rolleyes: :laughing::laughing:

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 02:33 PM
These two, don't even shake the snow, they let it melt ...

Mine too :shrug:

Byrd
January 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Mine too :shrug:

Third that!

Smiley14
January 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Oh, those are awesome pics!!! Looks like so much fun!!!! :thumbs up

SARAH
January 1st, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hey Sarah..... is "an upright thing" the technical term for the hand mixer. :rolleyes: :laughing::laughing:

Could well be :thumbs up

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Great pics :cloud9:. I love cats and boxes (or coolers as the case may be :rolleyes:) and the snow dog pics were wonderful :lovestruck:.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 02:11 AM
I love the fuzzbutts in the snow pics. :lovestruck: