Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Studding questions

st_claire
January 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in finding out more information about the costs involved with studding a dog.

How much more do show quality pups cost compared to pet quality?
How much do the various health tests cost?

I think A.I. makes th most sense for studding. How much do A.I. collection fees cost?
How much can you expect to earn per vial?
How many vials can you expect to sell and how often?

Thanks for the info :)

rainbow
January 1st, 2008, 01:19 AM
:rolleyes: :loser:

Shaykeija
January 1st, 2008, 02:23 AM
Thought it might get a little hot in here.....

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff107/ndante1993/flames.jpg

so i heading out for marshmallows.. nuff said:wall::wall:

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 02:36 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in finding out more information about the costs involved with studding a dog.

How much more do show quality pups cost compared to pet quality?
How much do the various health tests cost?

I think A.I. makes th most sense for studding. How much do A.I. collection fees cost?
How much can you expect to earn per vial?
How many vials can you expect to sell and how often?

Thanks for the info :)

An ETHICAL breeder breeds to improve the dogs they have to meet the breed standard as closely as possible. There is no way to be sure that an 8 or 10 week old puppy will be show quality at 6 months of age so most ethical breeders sell puppies. Period.

Now. I am not a breeder so I can't tell you what the A.I. collection fees are - I would imagine that it might differ from breed to breed and dog to dog.

How much you can expect to earn per vial would most certainly depend on your stud. If you have the number 1 male of your breed in the country, then you will make considerably more in stud fees then if you have a dog who has never seen a show ring of any kind. I would imagine that this answer works for your last question also.

Love4himies
January 1st, 2008, 08:11 AM
This is a pro spay/neuter forum.

Please visit your local animal shelter to view all the unwanted pure bred dogs that are locked up in cages before you make your decision to breed and add to the unwanted pet population.

st_claire
January 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Whoa, relax folks. Obviously not every single dog can be spayed and neutered, or there would be no dogs. I didn't say how much is it to get a random dog and breed it, did I?

I'm interested in learning to show dogs, and I think it would be good if after the dog proves itself, it were able to help cover some of those costs by studding. I don't see how that would be unethical.

Try not to jump at people so quickly and not to assume the worst.

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Whoa, relax folks. Obviously not every single dog can be spayed and neutered, or there would be no dogs.

Are you kidding me ? It would take years to adopt all the homeless pets in shelters and humane societies. Do you know how many of them get euthanaze every weeks because of overcrowding ? I suggest you visit your local shelter.

Again , this is a very pro and neuter forum. We rescue here , we do not contribute to pet overpopulation.

And about breeding to help with the costs :loser:, dogs are not mills.

st_claire
January 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
So you don't think any breeders should exist at all? Well, I'm sorry, but I disagree with that. I think breeders help make sure that the good qualities of a breed continue. The reason there are so many pets in shelters is because of lack of education, not because of responsible breeders.

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Well if you need to go on the internet asking questions about it , you have no business / no experience , to breed.

wdawson
January 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
and you had the nerve to ask about preventitive health costs in another thread:evil:

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Whoa, relax folks. Obviously not every single dog can be spayed and neutered, or there would be no dogs. I didn't say how much is it to get a random dog and breed it, did I?

I'm interested in learning to show dogs, and I think it would be good if after the dog proves itself, it were able to help cover some of those costs by studding. I don't see how that would be unethical.

Try not to jump at people so quickly and not to assume the worst.

What breed of dog are you interested in showing?

The best way to learn (and it will take YEARS) is to go to shows, meet breeders (ETHICAL breeders) and develop friendships.

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
and you had the nerve to ask about preventitive health costs in another thread:evil:

Better to ask the questions before getting the dog - don't you think?

Frenchy
January 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Better to ask the questions before getting the dog - don't you think?

Internet is not the place to start when you want to breed a dog to make money to cover cost for something else. :mad:

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Internet is not the place to start when you want to breed a dog to make money to cover cost for something else. :mad:

And abrasive answers will not teach that - just send someone to one of the puppymill sites that are perfectly willing to answer all questions AND are willing to tell you how to do a C-section on the dining room table!

The regulars here weren't born with the knowledge that they have and I am willing to be that we have all learned a TON from this site. Why deny that to someone else?

CearaQC
January 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
I really don't want to know how in the heck sperm is harvested from a dog. :laughing:

Seems so artificial... forcing nature to do man's will instead of using nature's built-in functions.

I don't believe the majority of the members here support mad science. :laughing:

Please alter your focus and stop trying to make money off of animals. Money isn't everything. Just a piece of paper that people collectively believe it has value, which it doesn't...at least not in modern times.

st_claire
January 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks LavenderRott. You seem to be the only actually interested in helping me learn about stuff, as oppose to just flaming at me like everyone else.

I'm interested in GSD's. Also, this isn't something I plan on doing any time soon, or even at all necessarily. I just wanted to learn more about it.

I've read about the steps involved, but didn't know anything about the costs involved. I thought maybe there would be some breeders on the forum who would be able to give me some ideas about that aspect.

ancientgirl
January 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
I hate this talk about "good quality in the breed" These are living creatures that should be loved no matter what kind of "stock" they come from.

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks LavenderRott. You seem to be the only actually interested in helping me learn about stuff, as oppose to just flaming at me like everyone else.

I'm interested in GSD's. Also, this isn't something I plan on doing any time soon, or even at all necessarily. I just wanted to learn more about it.

I've read about the steps involved, but didn't know anything about the costs involved. I thought maybe there would be some breeders on the forum who would be able to give me some ideas about that aspect.

As I said - there are many places to go for infomation and personally, if you are willing to learn about what many people consider to be ethical, when it comes to dogs and breeding, you may well decide that you are either very interested in showing and breeding or that you don't want to spend not only the money, but the time.

The best way to learn about what you want to know is to find a really GOOD breeder and make that person your friend. I am sure that if you do a quick search on this site, you will get a feel for what makes a truly ethical breeder and what kind of person to look for. The object shouldn't be to make a buck. It should be to produce the BEST dogs possible - both genetically sound and tempermentally sound.

LavenderRott
January 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I hate this talk about "good quality in the breed" These are living creatures that should be loved no matter what kind of "stock" they come from.

You are right - they should be.

But the fact of the matter is that MILLIONS of dogs are dying in shelters (and along side our roads) every single year.

IMHO - if you are not a Code of Ethics breeder - breeding dogs to the breed standard and doing everything possible to make sure that the dogs are as genetically healthy as possible - you should be breeding and adding to the problem.