Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another day at the HS....

Ford Girl
December 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi everyone, are you guys sure you want me to post these?? You asked for it...

I had some time this past week to go to the HS since I was off work. I spent just over 2 hours there, there were so many volunteers there so I got to spend more time with fewer animals.

The first dog I visited was a 6 month old white boxer, so calm and gentle for a puppy, he just wanted some scratches and a few cookies - which he took so gently. It was a good unintimidating start to the day. The second one was a 4 year old female rottie. :cloud9: I love the breed, we have 3 of them in our "pack" of friends, she was large and over weight but OMG what a "lap dog", so calm and gentle, and loving. I walked in, she wiggled, I gave cookies, she rolled over and demanded a belly rub - who am I not to indulge her?? :shrug: I brushed her, wiped off her coat, cleaned out her eyes, she was pretty dirty and hairy. I spent an hour with her, she knew lots of commands, and as people walked by the window she turned it up a notch with some shake a paws and belly ups. It was nice to just sit with this dog, and not be nervous in a small place around a strange dog. She rested her head in my hands and closed her eyes and just enjoyed the company. At some point I had to get up, I was covered in hair and out of cookies, so I said my good byes and went to find another pooch (I later walked by her kennel and she was fast asleep looking all groomed and as content as a dog can be in a shelter)...I found a begal girl who was hyper and happy to jump and tug her toys, after 20 minutes she too was putty in my hands and enjoyed a good brushing and cookies!!! It was time to leave....I felt good and at peace with the days visit.

An update from last time - the big lab boy from my last visit has been adopted - oh, I can not tell you how happy I was to get that update (they email the volunteers for each animal if any changes take place) he deserved a huge yard and loving parents, the bassett was on hold, the white maltese was with his forever family, and all the puppies had been adopted. Only one dog had been there last week - the begal, but the way she plays and acted with me - I don't think it will take much longer for her to find a family.

As I walked in the front doors one couldn't help but notice a HUGE pile of donations, bins and bins of toys, towels, blankets, beds, kongs, leashes, collars, and treats - you name it, so much stuff since last week. :thumbs up

I will be back there next Wednesday or Thursday, I am still working with my manager to get the approved volunteer time off so I can do most of it during the regular work week. There is a company policy that allows me to do this, I just need to work out the time and get paper signed.

Until next time....

chico2
December 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Fordgirl,at first I was afraid to read,since you kind of warned us..
But it all sounds good,I know they are in a shelter and ideally should be in a loving home,but this is far better than outside in the cold,especially if there is tons of people helping out.
Hopefully by the next report there will have been more adoptions,the Rottie sounds like a wonderful pup.

Frenchy
December 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM
she rolled over and demanded a belly rub - who am I not to indulge her?? :shrug:

Such a dirty job but someone has to do it ! :angel: they are such wonderful pets aren't they ? It would be cool if you could take pictures ... so we could put a face to the stories :D they all sound lovely. :cloud9:

JanM
December 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you've found a very rewarding way to spend some time... and I'll bet the puppies are the better for your being there too..

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM
Nice that they email you when they dogs are adopted :thumbs up

And great job to allow you time off for volunteering :highfive:

CearaQC
January 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Love hearing about your experiences!

That shelter sounds like a decent place with caring people like you volunteering.

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know if I can take pictures (I will ask), but here is the link....they are profiled here. :lovestruck: Tiny the rottie is on the link, and Ceaser the pittie. :lovestruck: I see Jenny the begal is not listed anymore - which "should" mean she is on hold or adopted. :fingerscr

http://calgaryhumanesociety.com/

The profile write up and picture taking is actually a volunteer postion, they always need creative people to spend time with the animals and write the public profile and take a good picture of the critters.

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
omg Caesar is too cute !

Chris21711
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
When the girls at the shelter see Caesar up for adoption they are going to freak. I think they are hoping to send another one, she's a darling. I want those puppies, they are just too darn cute. More stories please.