Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy screams like a coyote!

BabyTila
December 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone

Here's my situation: my fiance and I picked up our bundle of joy a yorkie mix we named Tila. She's really good for a puppy, we got her at 8wks and now she's 10wks. I have 2 wks vacation right now, this is my last wk and then we will both be at work.
We have set up an x-pen for her and have everything she needs in there. She goes to bed perfect maybe a minute of crying tops but then she goes to sleep for the night. However she turns into a coyote during the day when I try to leave her in the pen by herself, this little 1.7 pound girl screams not little whines, screams like someone is murdering her. I've had puppies before but I haven't seen a puppy freak out like this. Right now I'm doing short intervals and when she stops screaming for even a short time I take her out & praise b/c if I don't act quick she's going to start screaming again. I know she's going to cry and whine b/c she's not used to being alone.
I'm concerned b/c we live an apartment it allows animals but I don't want complaints b/c we went out in the hallway and could hear her waaay down the hallway.
If anyone has any extra advice it would be great and to I've read that you shouldn't say anything when they are crying not even "No" or "quiet" but then I read that you should, so just curious what anyone thinks about that.
I would appreciate any advice:pray:

14+kitties
December 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM
First off......welcome to Pets.ca! And we like pics, lots of pics.........
When you put her in her pen during the day are you still in the apartment or do you leave? If you are still in the apartment it could be that Tila (cute name) hears you and wants to be with you. You said she is good at night so I am assuming? it is quiet then so she is too.
Maybe try putting her in the pen and go outside your door to hallway and see what she does??? See if she makes noise if it only lasts for a few minutes or if she keeps it up. She probably is doing it because she knows, or is hoping, if she keeps it up you will come get her. Other than that I am stumped. :sorry:

BabyTila
January 1st, 2008, 01:22 PM
Happy new year!

Thnaks for welcoming me:) We have tried leaving her in our place by herself and we went down our hallway and did she ever scream! Went on for 10 mins and as soon as she stopped for 2 secs praised her. I noticed last night she has gotten a little bit better, b/c she is good at night time but if one of us has to get up to go to the bathroom she started crying but last night she didn't at all she just sat there waiting for my fiance to come back so we praised her like crazy for that! Today's another day though so she's going to be screaming again lol

I want to show a picture of my cute baby but trying to figure out how to do it lol i'll get it!

14+kitties
January 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Happy New Year to you too! Hopefully Tila will settle soon so you can enjoy it. :)
I am stumped as to what to do. I am sure someone will come along soon and give you some great pointers. I have 2 dogs myself but they are older (and so am I). My toy was a very quiet baby. She didn't make very much noise at all. And the labx, who is supposed to be our guard dog, doesn't even bark unless the coyotes are howling. Some guard dog :rolleyes: but we love her to death anyway.
If you go to the bottom of your message when you are posting you will see Additional Options. That is where it says manage attatchments. You click on that and you can then upload pics from your comp or a url. I use Photobucket (free site) for mine. You will probably have to resize your pictures. Max file size is 100kb. Hope that helps and we see pics soon.
Good luck with Tila :grouphug: and :goodvibes:

allymack
January 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
keep up what your doing, anytime she stop howling even for 2 seconds praise her, and then over time start to slowly build up the amount of time she is quiet before you praise start during the day and pick a time when everything is quiet and praise when she is quiet and then start with a small amount of noise like a tv or radio on a low volume and again praise her when she is quiet, and then use a loud tv or radio volume and praise when she is quiet, then start useing people talking and moving aorund a bit and, you guessed it, praise when she is quite, also you can give her a frozen peanut butter filled kong to give her something to do to pass the time. hope this helps :)

TeriM
January 2nd, 2008, 02:46 AM
I agree with the others advice to keep doing what you are doing. Distracting with things to occupy her mind for the first bit is also very useful. Get a good selection of kong toys and stuff them with tasty food. Freezing them works very well (peanut butter etc) and helps take a bit longer to empty. A good play session or other exercise before you leave her will also be crucial in keeping her quiet during the day.

When she goes to sleep at night is she in the same place as when you pen her in the day?

As for the apartment situation you could try moving her pen into your bedroom while you are gone and then hopefully the extra door between her and the hallway will help reduce any noice impact.

BabyTila
January 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thnaks for repsonses everyone:) Her pen is in the same spot as when she sleeps. At first we were going to have the pen in the living room but the cats kept teasing her and getting her going so we are just keeping the pen in the bedroom. Also I feel a little better about the apartment and noise issue b/c I was talking to my super the other day they are very nice older couple; she was petting Tila and Tila was hamming it up of course licking her and being cute. I was saying how we are having a hard time with her crying in her pen and my super was giving me tips and said she's a puppy she'll get used to it so that makes me feel better for now.
I have been putting toys in for her I tried her kong in with her and she didn't touch it b/c she was freaking out so much but I think once she realizes she's not coming out she'll play it. I have to try it frozen though that's a good idea.
Here's a picture of the howling banshee!:D

14+kitties
January 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
OMG!! What a sweetheart!! I could love her to pieces!!! :cloud9:

allymack
January 2nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
oh my goodness! she is the cutest thing i have ever seen! she looks sooooo cuddly! i bet she is a sweety

BabyTila
January 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah she's a very sweet puppy just going through the little turd stages of being a puppy:rolleyes: Thanks for the advice everyone. I took the garbage out and got the mail today and I came back in the apt. and she was quiet, some whimpering but better than before. :thumbs up

14+kitties
January 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
That's great! She's improving. It could be just the settling in stage. Puppies sometimes take a while to get comfy with new environment.
I for one am voting for more pictures of the little sweetie. She looks like she could be a handful. :) :lovestruck:

StumpsMom
January 5th, 2008, 01:59 AM
oh my gawd, she's sooo cute! hard to believe such a little :angel: can make the amount of noise you describe! are you sure it's her? :laughing:

Rottielover
January 5th, 2008, 07:52 PM
omg , she is a cutie pie:cloud9:

Rainy
January 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
First of all could this little thing be any cuter!I would suggest that you don't praise her anymore when you take her out of the crate.I would quietly let her out not saying anything at all.This way she is going to come to realise this is normal and expected,if your not making a big deal out of it then she won't (after awhile).When I let my dogs out I give them a quiet hello and walk away from them.After a minute or two goes by then I will pet them etc....If she's in a crate try draping a blanket over the top and sides.Most puppies (and dogs) like this and it makes them feel safer.
Music and/or the t.v on is good as well you can give your puppy a tshirt or a pajama that you have worn so she can snuggle with it and again should help calm her with your scent.Good luck!