Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foreclosed on? Leave your pets behind

Rick C
December 31st, 2007, 10:12 AM
Not sure if this is an actual trend or just a local phenomenon for this reporter to find . . . . . mortgage foreclosures in the USA are on the rise and when some people leave, they're also leaving their pets behind.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/12/31/mennetti.animals.left.mxf.kovr

That certainly bucks the trend of natural disasters like the ice storm in Ontario/Quebec and Hurricane Katrina where people were refusing to seek shelter if it meant leaving their pets.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
December 31st, 2007, 10:21 AM
That is so :wall:

It happens a lot here in Montreal on July first every year , our official moving day. People just let the cats out on the streets or in the appartements and just leave. :mad: They do this with dogs too but it's mostly with cats. All the spca are overloaded in July every year.

koalat
December 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
They also do this at the end of the summer camping and/or chalet season. My neighbour (about a mile from me) as well as us have found pets dropped off at our houses abandoned by those that wanted them during the summer but did not take them back to the city with them after their summer vacations were over. We frequently find dogs and cats in our yards and my neighbour had even found a box left at his mailbox with puppies inside! I can't believe people can leave a pet behind - they're part of the family too! Would they leave a child behind?

Stacer
December 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Why are humans so crappy? I can't fathom how someone could look at their dog or cat as they're leaving and not feel anything, turn around and leave them behind to fend for themselves. But like the guy said in the video, they can barely afford to keep themsleves alive, pets are not a priority. THEN DON'T GET A PET!!!! :lightbulb::wall:

Shaykeija
January 1st, 2008, 02:17 AM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/Jillian_Hosier/dumb.gif

Stooopid people :yell::censored:

Love4himies
January 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM
So sad, and we are suppose to be the species that has the ability to have compassion??

CearaQC
January 1st, 2008, 08:26 AM
*sniff*

So sad to see those stories.

The USA is quickly becoming a "third world" country, full of slums, lack of employment, where the rich get richer and the poor starve.

People lose their jobs then have to give up their homes, either moving to a non-pet friendly location, or shacking up with friends/relatives where there is no room for a pet. They feel desperate.

I can understand why it is occurring, but it could still be better.

If the elite stop artificially creating wars for selfish gain and instead concentrate on truly educating people and caring for all life on the planet then humanity could do so much more.

I think comedian Bill Hicks said it best.

I'm gonna share with you a vision that I had, cause I love you. And you feel it. You know all that money we spend on nuclear weapons and defense each year, trillions of dollars, correct? Instead -- just play with this -- if we spent that money feeding and clothing the poor of the world -- and it would pay for it many times over, not one human being excluded -- we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever in peace.

kiara
January 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Actually here in QUEBEC there are no house foreclosures, but people still get pets and then dump them on rescues (these are the lucky pets!). Or they leave them behind in apartment buildings, or they drive to a rural area and leave them there to fend for themselves. You can just imagine what happens to them in winter, they freeze to death. This dumping happens all year long, not only on July 1. We the rescuers see it with our own eyes and we try to save as many as we can, but there are just too many cats everywhere. Many were never fixed, they have been roaming and have become feral. We trap, neuter and release them. And sadly, we can only save a few from despair !!!!

amatazes
January 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i hate going to work with out my animals. i can't imagine. when I see people in the nyc shelters (hi kill) turning in there perfectly nice dogs cause they don't want them anymore, I want to attack. right for the throat.:mad:

chico2
January 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I am not surprised,the cruelty of humans surpasses anything any animal would do,I don't get angry anymore,just sick to the heart and go and give my kitties a hug:cat:

loopoo
January 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
okay well i guess i am reading these even though i say i try not too, yes it is a disgusting issue. I have lived her in Phoenix for the past 7 years, grew up in Toronto Canada for 30+ years and I just dont get peoples stupidity. I have moved cross country with my animals, and cross state, and its no excuse. The only saving grace i have is getting in touch with many through the local ads, newspaper, craigslist, and trying, as nicely as i can to convince them how beneficial it would be to take their babies with them. It doesnt always work, but my heart feels so good for the few that do write back and say they have reconsidered, and have taken their pets into their new homes, apt. etc.